8" subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8" subwoofer replacement

Has anyone tried replacing the 8" stock subwoofer with a really powerful one lika a JL audio instead of just getting a regular 12" subwoofer in the truck that would take up space. I want something that sounds really nice on the inside, I'm not necessarily trying to beat down the block. Or would it just be better to get one 12" in the rear and call it a day?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock 8 is a free air sub and it would be very hard to seal the area under the sub to put a good sub in. A sealed 10 or 12 in the trunk will give you the best quality sound. A 10 (JL, my favorite) will take up less room than a 12.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by King of Pain
The stock 8 is a free air sub and it would be very hard to seal the area under the sub to put a good sub in. A sealed 10 or 12 in the trunk will give you the best quality sound. A 10 (JL, my favorite) will take up less room than a 12.
How hard would it be to make a custom enclosure for 1 or maybe 2 10" JLs like the the one TLpepe made here:

I know you made your own custom enclosure so you have an idea. I want a little more bass in the car but nothing overpowering - just more substantial the the weak stock unit and I'd rather not have a massive sub enclosure in the back.

If there was enough interest we could get a group buy and make a small run of custom 10" enclosures
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it was a reasonable cost I would definately get in the group buy!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I recently completed my 12" sub enclosure similar to what TL pepe made. I'll have pics to post within the next couple of days. It was by no means easy to do. You could get two 10s in there with careful design. But, based on my experience. It would definitely be a bit of a stretch.

If there's enough interest and if there were a manufacturer who is willing to make a mold of my enclosure, I'd definitely be willing to offer mine up to have it made.

Here's the unfinished product. I should have it completed within the next day or two... for a free enclosure of course!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Correction: I'd be willing to offer mine up to have a mold made... for a free enclosure of course!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VtecMW
I recently completed my 12" sub enclosure similar to what TL pepe made. I'll have pics to post within the next couple of days. It was by no means easy to do. You could get two 10s in there with careful design. But, based on my experience. It would definitely be a bit of a stretch.

If there's enough interest and if there were a manufacturer who is willing to make a mold of my enclosure, I'd definitely be willing to offer mine up to have it made.

Here's the unfinished product. I should have it completed within the next day or two... for a free enclosure of course!
That looks really good. I started a template for something like that when I did my upgrade. Not having any kind of fiberglass skills I quickly figured out it was beyond my capabilites.

How did you calculate the internal volume?

Have you experimented with a back firing sub versus a side firing sub? Which one will give you the best sound quality?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so I'm going back to the ORIGINAL POINT OF THIS THREAD.....has anyone replaced the stock "free air sub"

I don't want to clutter my trunk with a sealed/bandbass box or anything and am just looking for a cleaner sounding speaker and not the stock junk sub, has anyone done it?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

That looks really good. I started a template for something like that when I did my upgrade. Not having any kind of fiberglass skills I quickly figured out it was beyond my capabilites.

How did you calculate the internal volume?

Have you experimented with a back firing sub versus a side firing sub? Which one will give you the best sound quality?
Thanks. It is definitely a project that is far more involved than I imagined, or was even willing to get into. I thought about scrapping it and just going for a box. But, Black_05_TL_6SP walked me through it and it finally started to take shape.

The only thing left to do is seal up a few very small leaks. Then, on to carpeting and mounting the sub. I ended up changing the mounting to a surface mount, because the JL 12W6V2 magnet has too much depth for a flush mount application in this enclosure.

I volume tested by filling the enclosure with packing peanuts. Then, I took those same packing peanuts and put them in a box and calculated using the dimensions they occupied in the box. The enclosure is about .9 cu. ft. It's under what's recommended by JL for this sub. So, I'm going to fill the enclosure with polyfill based on the advice for Scott P.

I haven't experimented with back vs. side firing. I did consider it though. Based on the way the trunk contours, I thought it would be best just to go with side firing. I went this route based on what I've seen from JMLAudio and Black_05_TL_6SP. At this point, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will produce decent sound. I'll keep you posted.

I can tell you that this is the very last time I will play with fiberglass. It's nasty stuff to work with. There isn't enough reasonable money for me to do it again. So, if there is someone we can get to make a mold of the one I made, I'm all for it.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by gauravp123
ok so I'm going back to the ORIGINAL POINT OF THIS THREAD.....has anyone replaced the stock "free air sub"

I don't want to clutter my trunk with a sealed/bandbass box or anything and am just looking for a cleaner sounding speaker and not the stock junk sub, has anyone done it?
First, do a search. Second, I don't believe anyone here has replaced the stock sub because the magnets are too deep on most aftermarket 8" free-air subs.

Good luck trying to find a drop-in replacement though.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

dont do it just get a sub w/ box, my JL w6 v2 fills the car with more than enough bass.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by 1acuratl325
dont do it just get a sub w/ box, my JL w6 v2 fills the car with more than enough bass.
Sounds alittle overkill.....I'm sure a 12w3v2 would fill the car with more than enough bass. I'm making a damn add on craigslist for a someone with fiberglass experience to make me a box. lol Hopefully someone can give me a competitive price.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM
2005 Acura TL

The box looks awesome! The only problem that I encountered when putting the carpet on mine is that the box became a little larger and tended not to fit as it did before the carpeting. Just make sure you leave enough room.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by busyb0y
The box looks awesome! The only problem that I encountered when putting the carpet on mine is that the box became a little larger and tended not to fit as it did before the carpeting. Just make sure you leave enough room.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I've been thinking about how much the carpet will impact clearance. After all of the work I've put into this thing, I'll find a way to make it fit and look nice! Pics of the finished product coming very soon...
Old 05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
2005 Acura TL

Originally Posted by colossus
How hard would it be to make a custom enclosure for 1 or maybe 2 10" JLs like the the one TLpepe made here:

I know you made your own custom enclosure so you have an idea. I want a little more bass in the car but nothing overpowering - just more substantial the the weak stock unit and I'd rather not have a massive sub enclosure in the back.

If there was enough interest we could get a group buy and make a small run of custom 10" enclosures
Actually that is a box I made, not TLpepe.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Ryan Christopher

Thanks. It is definitely a project that is far more involved than I imagined, or was even willing to get into. I thought about scrapping it and just going for a box. But, Black_05_TL_6SP walked me through it and it finally started to take shape.

The only thing left to do is seal up a few very small leaks. Then, on to carpeting and mounting the sub. I ended up changing the mounting to a surface mount, because the JL 12W6V2 magnet has too much depth for a flush mount application in this enclosure.

I volume tested by filling the enclosure with packing peanuts. Then, I took those same packing peanuts and put them in a box and calculated using the dimensions they occupied in the box. The enclosure is about .9 cu. ft. It's under what's recommended by JL for this sub. So, I'm going to fill the enclosure with polyfill based on the advice for Scott P.

I haven't experimented with back vs. side firing. I did consider it though. Based on the way the trunk contours, I thought it would be best just to go with side firing. I went this route based on what I've seen from JMLAudio and Black_05_TL_6SP. At this point, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will produce decent sound. I'll keep you posted.

I can tell you that this is the very last time I will play with fiberglass. It's nasty stuff to work with. There isn't enough reasonable money for me to do it again. So, if there is someone we can get to make a mold of the one I made, I'm all for it.
BTW, to help you out with the holes, use some Bondo brand filler with Fiberglass in it. Then just use a angle grinder to sand it down.

Heres a pic of the one I made for two 8's. Two tens would be easy as well.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by gauravp123

You can add the JL 8 freeair from what I have read, but you will need to install a new amp on it, you will NOT be able to use the factory amp to run it.

Jason
Old 05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

A freeair sub will give you sound quality. You will have to make some compromises if you want good sound quality.

my
Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Trucki!!

busyb0y

I see your box goes over your trunk tray. Did you start off by taping over the carpet and trunk tray? Did you have to do anything special with that install?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
2005 Acura TL

Originally Posted by lembowski
busyb0y

I see your box goes over your trunk tray. Did you start off by taping over the carpet and trunk tray? Did you have to do anything special with that install?
Nope... I took the trunk tray out and just used the blue painters tape along with the aluminum foil to fill in the gaps. Works very well and it was easy to remove the cast when it dried. After I was done I cut the trunk tray to fit into place.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Trucki!!

Nope... I took the trunk tray out and just used the blue painters tape along with the aluminum foil to fill in the gaps. Works very well and it was easy to remove the cast when it dried. After I was done I cut the trunk tray to fit into place.
I think I might try to make my cast lip over the trunk tray. I really don't wan to cut it.

Well I have already called a few marine places and secured a gallon of resin and hardener for $15 from the marine store down the street. Looks like I will start this weekend! How many layers did you use on the fitted piece? I know it says start with 3 before you take out the cast, but how many did you go after that?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Team Athracite Physician

OK, I'll make a thread asking for a group buy when I get home - there should be enough TL owners who wants a little more bass. Maybe adding that rear sheld to hold 1 or 2 amps for speaker upgrades would be good too - if we could get 25-50 people we should be able to negotiate a good price.

The only thing is everybody has personal preferences on bass. I want a sub that hits tightly but goes deep enough (even at the expense of not being loud enough). Some people just want to shake the cars in the neighborhood. Obviously different subwoofers will produce different effects.

Would putting 2 opposing 10"s or 12"s on each side of the trunk cancel each other out because of the opposing sound waves? How "silly" will unilateral bass sound. I know bass really isn't directional, but if it's mounted on one side the people on that side will feel more of a thump hehe.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Trucki!!

I know you said that you spent around $150 for everything, my question is if the shop offered to do it for $250 would you still do it yourself? I posted an ad on craigslist and a guy that works at a respected local shop that quoted me $475 said that he would do it off the clock for $250. Is the $100 savings worth it, or would you say the time is worth alot more than $100?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
2005 Acura TL

Originally Posted by lembowski
I know you said that you spent around $150 for everything, my question is if the shop offered to do it for $250 would you still do it yourself? I posted an ad on craigslist and a guy that works at a respected local shop that quoted me $475 said that he would do it off the clock for $250. Is the $100 savings worth it, or would you say the time is worth alot more than $100?
$250 for a custom box is not bad at all. If he is good at it, then do it and get it over with. I learned a lot by doing it myself and felt good knowing that if something does go wrong, I can fix it.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

If that's $250 out the door then it's a good deal. I had a shop quote me $500.00.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Trucki!!

If that's $250 out the door then it's a good deal. I had a shop quote me $500.00.
Yeah its $250 out the door since he is doing it off the clock. I just have to buy him some resin.......so I guess total of $270
Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Yardie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd buy one at $250. I had a shop quote me $400-$500.
I would prefer the right side of the trunk though.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
BTW, to help you out with the holes, use some Bondo brand filler with Fiberglass in it. Then just use a angle grinder to sand it down.
[/IMG]
Are you talking about the holes for my speaker rings? I built it back up using wood glue and silicon caulk.

I'm definitely open to the Bondo filler if that's what you're referring to. I should have it completed by the weekend once that's all finished. Let me know.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I dust my TL.

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post
why not just try to amplify what you already have?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by Tempest811
why not just try to amplify what you already have?
First, way to bring up a old thread.

Second, WHY??? The factory free air sub is garbage and will never give that much bass. The whole point is to get more sound, more bass and keep it clean. The problem with free air is the amount of distortion they can produce. Because there is no resistance from being in an enclosure, they can only play so loud untill they reach there limit. Then snap, crackle, pop. Sounds like garbage.