3sixty.2 >>>>> where to tap into remote turn on wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cjj2d
wow, i feel like the BIGGEST idiot ever.

so I have got this sucker figured out finally. I cant believe I never checked my soldered connections. I checked every other damn connection there possibly was, but never unwrapped my soldered connections coming from the factory amp to speaker wire.

As I had just about given up and was about to cut the wires to take the signal before the amp, I decided "well check these connections here" (even though everyone in the world told me numerous times to check all connections. So I did, and decided one looked ehh... not great. so I cut it and put on some male and female connectors on each end for easy connecting/disconnecting while I figure all this out.

I did that on front left and rear left channels.

And now I am here to tell you not only to I have a better signal and even after the OEM setup the graphs are now "on the chart" and not well below it. All of the hiss is gone too. So there goes two issues at once!

Also, during the OEM setup after doing this I actually got my first red "clip" signal!!! on the front channel, and have a blue led signal on the rear. (I am now tempted to cut all solder joints and replace with the male/female connectors to see if I can get the rear channel to show a red clip light).

anyways, a HUGE THANKS to everyone that has offered tips, etc... and been a part of numerous threads on different boards. I really appreciate it, and yes should have checked those connections a long time ago.

Thanks again everyone.

Now comes the rest of the adventure. Setting the gains, EQ, etc...

but atleast now I am in a much better place.
I kinda knew it was your input wires from the get go. Not soo hard to troubleshoot it man, i told you that thing is very easy to hookup. Solder if done properly will take all the worries out of those crimp connections. I posted in your thread you have in DIYMA also. Lemme know how the rest of your install turns out.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick337
Take the signal after the amp.
That's the thing, the only connection I see is the gray one at the bottom of the amp, unless I'm blind and there are ones coming into the top, making the bottom ones the leaving ones?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=Theguywhostoleurfood;12761665]That's the thing, the only connection I see is the gray one at the bottom of the amp, unless I'm blind and there are ones coming into the top, making the bottom ones the leaving ones?[/QU

i don't remember exactly what color the connector is, or another way to do this would be to pin factory speakers directly going to the back. meaning to cut the wires at the speaker and take those wires and run them to the back for the 3sixty.2
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Racer

I kinda knew it was your input wires from the get go. Not soo hard to troubleshoot it man, i told you that thing is very easy to hookup. Solder if done properly will take all the worries out of those crimp connections. I posted in your thread you have in DIYMA also. Lemme know how the rest of your install turns out.

like I said.... yes I screwed up by not checking my solder connections. I soldered them all from the get go... but one of them was not that great and turns out it was the culprit.....

I never argued to anyone that it was not easy to hook up, i just simply posted my troubles.

and yes, I knew once I posted my mistake/correction I would get burnt for it.... so thank you.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Pro

glad you found it though man, small little stuff like that can cause a man to pull all there hair out lol. You finally got everything working properly though?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Racer

glad you found it though man, small little stuff like that can cause a man to pull all there hair out lol. You finally got everything working properly though?
I thought I did, but now my right side mid is much lower in volume than my left, but I am sure that is just an adjustment.

for the most part things are headed in the right direction. now its just setting the gains appropriately, the EQ, time alignment, etc... (a buddy of mine is sales mgr at a nice shop and I think they have a RTA, going to see if I can get an hour or so with that).
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Pro

Are you faders and left and right balance at center? Are the output adjustment bars both at the same level?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Racer

yes all fade and balance are centered.

I adjusted the level on the 3sixty to even out the sound. My left side is at -9db and right side is at -3db and its nice and even.

I assume they should be similar in levels, not sure why I am getting unbalanced levels.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Racer

when setting the gains on my amp I am getting different readings (higher voltage on one channel than the other, by about 4 volts.)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Pro

next thing to do would be put another amp in to troubleshoot this, if you next amp is producing an even output on both channels, your jl amp might be screwed up.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Racer

next thing to do would be put another amp in to troubleshoot this, if you next amp is producing an even output on both channels, your jl amp might be screwed up.
true, I know its possible. but this amp is less than 2 weeks old. I may pop my PC2150 back in just for fun and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Racer

I am also about to order a new pair of tweeters to try out, not that there is anything wrong with the ones I have now. I actually just got dont trimming out the factory tweeter housing and the casing to these tweets to drop in and keep the factory look. They turned out great.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Pro

Something I forgot to add earlier would be try replacing pair of mids with another good working set to isolate the problem even further.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Racer

well after many many MANY attempts and trouble shooting, I have finally got it completely fixed up!!!!! I am super excited.

and numerous times I declared myself an idiot for not seeing/finding different little things that made a huge difference.

like Nick337 said early on..... check your connections folks if you are having poor quality results. I found yet another "dumb" thing I had that didnt think anything about that was causing a LOT of issues for tuning/setup.

I had all my wires soldered like they should, but my dumbass when putting the heat shrink tube over the solder joints, put two in one. For instance the left rear pos and neg in one heat shrink tube. well today after yet a couple more annoying speed bumps I was messing with them and as I grabbed them and applied pressure I could hear a difference. I then had one of those "aha" moments and was like I am an idiot.... the solder joints are in one tube and causing the signal to bounce off each other, etc....

anyways... problem solved and ran setup again, everything came out as it should have 12342 attempts ago. I got the crossovers all set, played with the eq, but more importantly sat there and jammed some tunes with a huge smile on my face that its all finally right. Now I can focus on a amp rack/floor box. I want to put an amp rack where the spare tire is so when you lift up the factory flooring you see my 3sixty and amp. So now to attempt my first floor/amp rack.

thanks for everyones help along the way.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro

Thats exactly what Im doing right now also, creating a false floor, teh wood shop i normally go to said he can do it in 2 weeks. Glad you got all the bugs out man, now you can really start to enjoy the sound of it.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Racer

what is yours going to be/look like? the entire floor, or tire area like I am trying to do?

you getting the cuts done for you? I will probably make a couple screwed up cuts in the process as well.

and yes, its sounding GREAT! just a little eq tweaking along the way and all is good.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro

Probably the entire floor, the spare tire well will not have enough space for me plus the spare tire in there. So Imma raise the floor up about 2.25 inches, just enough to clear three amps, the 3sixty.2 and the audison bitone.1
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Racer

3sixty and bitone???

what all you doing? dont recall.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Pro

I originally wanted to run two 3sixty.2 because I was short on outputs because the the 3sixty.2 couldn't do a 3way active plus sub configuration. So i ordered another one to have my DSP on a couple of more channels. Then i found out that you can tune both of the 3sixty.2's at the same time. So I sound the brand new Sixty for what i paid for it plus the warranty. Now the bitone.1 does my 3 way front and components in the rear for rearfill. Now all the 3sixty.2 is good for is jus there for my 13.5 in the back.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Pro

Hows your sound system coming along?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Racer

Hows your sound system coming along?
its coming. I have not had another day off to really do much more. Last thing I did was take out the spare tire and build a floor to house the amp and 3sixty.2 under the factory floor cover. Now I just need to clean up the wiring some more and build a cover with a plexi window, then its on to sub woofer enclosure. I would like to have the sub enclosure all built and ready to drop the subs in when available (which looks like it could be a while unfortunately).
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Pro

its coming. I have not had another day off to really do much more. Last thing I did was take out the spare tire and build a floor to house the amp and 3sixty.2 under the factory floor cover. Now I just need to clean up the wiring some more and build a cover with a plexi window, then its on to sub woofer enclosure. I would like to have the sub enclosure all built and ready to drop the subs in when available (which looks like it could be a while unfortunately).
Thats what im doing right now, except i am putting the spare tire back in there, i decided against going without a spare tire. I am completely building a box that is raised up from the spare tire well with the spare tire in it, and the false floor will be the whole size of the trunk.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Racer

that's cool.

I am kinda weiry about not having a spare tire.... but at the same time taking out a box/amp rack to get to the tire would be a pain in the ass as well on the side of the road.

In my Maxima I took out the spare tire and was fine..... just better re up my AAA hahaha
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Pro

that's cool.

I am kinda weiry about not having a spare tire.... but at the same time taking out a box/amp rack to get to the tire would be a pain in the ass as well on the side of the road.

In my Maxima I took out the spare tire and was fine..... just better re up my AAA hahaha
I have a smaller speaker box that I can put in the trunk for some boom on long road trips. But jus the feeling that knowing that you have a spare tire incase something happens is priceless. Accidents do happen, noone wants them to but thats jus part of the world.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Racer

very true
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd rather be golfing

Question for you with this method of using the jumper in the 360... did you keep the factory amp or not? I had mine installed MINUS the factory amp and I have the turn-on problem. Not sure if the factory amp ups the voltage to the 360? Also, for anyone who has this install, can you tell me where you grounded your amps? I've got altenator whine and I would like to start at a place where others have had luck. Mine's an '06 TL non-nav. Thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Racer

I did not take out the factory amp. I did switch the jumper on the 3sixty to send the remote wire turn on OUT of the 3sixty to turn my amps on and the 3sixty turns on from the input signal coming from the amp. I have the signal coming from the factory amp (the large gray connector) and then converted it to RCA and used those inputs on the 3sixty.

As for alt whine, I have none at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

cjj, where did you ground too? Did you use that pre-existing screw in the trunk under the tire? I'm also interested in hearing about what others have done from a settings perspective. Specifically the xover type, frequency and slopes used. Also, has anyone tweaked the delay at all? I guess I could do a search on 360.2 settings
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Racer

I used the bolt that is at the far end of the trunk almost against the back seat. going to try and find a different place though.

as for settings, I am currently only running a front 2 way setup. I have my mids high passed at 60hz and low passed at 2k and my tweets high passed at 3k on a 24db slope, mids on a 18db slope.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd rather be golfing

I did not take out the factory amp. I did switch the jumper on the 3sixty to send the remote wire turn on OUT of the 3sixty to turn my amps on and the 3sixty turns on from the input signal coming from the amp. I have the signal coming from the factory amp (the large gray connector) and then converted it to RCA and used those inputs on the 3sixty.

As for alt whine, I have none at all.
Thank you for this info. Going to revise the install trying this method. I am also going to explore the ground points ref'd in the threads too.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

I just finished my install this weekend. I took a different route with my ground. I used a pre-existing hole in one of the down/crossmembers behind the seat, filed all paint away and then used a JL grounding lug and grounded all amps and 360.2 to it. Worked like a charm. Not a hint whatsoever of alt noise with lights, AC, and everything else turned on.

I gotta be honest. Didn't really realize what a mammoth job the install is. One thing I've noticed is that with the new system, you really hear the difference with your side being louder, whether in driver or passenger seat. I can compensate by balancing a little to the other side and I know I can adjust the level via the 360.2, but it sure leaves your passenger hating the sound if you have someone in the car. One thing I did that I wish I had done differently is aftermarket amp the center instead of using the stock amp. I feel like that would have rounded out the front sound stage a little more.