2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019 | 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Yes, I've also noticed the OEM Smartkeys go away too when CarPlay is open. I suppose it still might be nice to have them when I'm using other applications, besides CarPlay. I may download them tonight.

I love my iPhone, but this Nexus 7 tablet has me really starting to like Android, simply for all of the customization it offers.

PS - Sorry for blowing up your thread lol
all good!
it's easy to get the smart keys to show up on carplay you just swipe up from the bottom. i still use them sometimes to go back to my normal setup (rarely)
yea the customization is super cool but i'm too far deep in apple apps and setups that i can't ever switch haha
Old 11-25-2019 | 02:25 PM
Safety Car

update on carplay device: i routed my device with mic closer to the driver (out of center console) and there is no improvement in mic pickup. i still cannot use the mic for phone calls so still trying to think of ideas there.
right now i'd recommend the non mic version over the mic just because of that if it saves you money
Old 11-25-2019 | 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Ugh, sorry to hear that you're still having issues, but given this is a new-ish product, you should try returning with an explanation. I also returned mine (with mic) and saved almost $20 by buying the lesser version.

Also if you let them know about the flaw, they might try fixing it for the future? Totally up to you...
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (11-25-2019)
Old 12-06-2019 | 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey hey,

Since you've been using your tablet for a few years now, I was wondering how you're liking the EasyCap Viewer application and your backup camera selection?

I really like the backup camera you chose, given that there are guide/assist lines. I think that's a cool feature. However, looking on the GooglePlay store, I noticed that the EasyCap Viewer application has some really bad reviews, mostly driven by people saying it flat out doesn't work. I am presuming this has to do with people not paying careful attention to the EasyCap chipsets and compatibility with their Android devices. However, I wanted to touch base to see if you've used or had any success with other USB camera applications that you like better?
Old 12-06-2019 | 05:11 PM
Safety Car

Hey what’s up man! My camera and easy cap setup has still been working great and it’s going on 3 years! It’s all about picking the right chipset but I do know others that didn’t have as good of success
Old 12-08-2019 | 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

That’s great to hear. I’ll go ahead and purchase the application from the GooglePlay store and order the same backup camera. More testing in the future lol!
Old 12-12-2019 | 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Dave,

My reverse camera arrived today and I downloaded the EasyCap Viewer application from the Google Play Store ($2.99). Firstly, the camera works with the application, so that is a great start!

However, I was wondering what settings need to be changed, either within PowerEvent Manager or the EasyCap Viewer application, to get the application to open as soon as the camera receives power? I messed with a few settings, but nothing seems to start up the application. Eventually I will add a relay, similar to your setup, but I’m curious as to what needs to be done to get this feature working properly. For reference, I am running version 1.16 of the EasyCap Viewer application as seen below:

Lastly, I was wondering if you know what the additional red wire is for (which is attached to the yellow video cable)? The diagrams do not make any reference to this wire, so I was curious if you had any idea? The camera seems to power up and function without connecting the red wire to anything. Below is an image of the contents of the reverse cam package.

Old 12-14-2019 | 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

One additional inquiry...

Now that you use the CarPlay dongle (which connects via bluetooth), do you ever tether your iPhone to your Nexus 7 anymore? Or is there even a need? If so, can you please explain how you do both? I would assume that if this is even possible, the iPhone would only be able to connect via mobile hotspot and WiFi connection on the tablet?

I found your thread in Reddit where you discussed auto tethering previously (see below).

https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskerne...o_iphone_help/

However, now that the dongle is around, I’m curious if you still dabble with tethering via the Bluetooth Auto Connect application?
Old 01-23-2020 | 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Dave, I just wanted to check-in to see if you had a chance to read my questions .
Old 01-26-2020 | 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys...looking into the Nexus 7 mod and it appears all the links to the Timur's Kernel are bad links?? Anyone know where to find the kernel now? If so, please post!
Old 01-26-2020 | 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

https://mega.nz/#!No5SxK5J!tjOnU34bLLhFYtOq2zgNCzhVenii4jWZX5kN81PUE1E
Old 01-27-2020 | 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Hey Dave,

My reverse camera arrived today and I downloaded the EasyCap Viewer application from the Google Play Store ($2.99). Firstly, the camera works with the application, so that is a great start!

However, I was wondering what settings need to be changed, either within PowerEvent Manager or the EasyCap Viewer application, to get the application to open as soon as the camera receives power? I messed with a few settings, but nothing seems to start up the application. Eventually I will add a relay, similar to your setup, but I’m curious as to what needs to be done to get this feature working properly. For reference, I am running version 1.16 of the EasyCap Viewer application as seen below:

Lastly, I was wondering if you know what the additional red wire is for (which is attached to the yellow video cable)? The diagrams do not make any reference to this wire, so I was curious if you had any idea? The camera seems to power up and function without connecting the red wire to anything. Below is an image of the contents of the reverse cam package.
I really think the relay is the key, i know in past reverse camera setups of other people if they didn't have the relay it wouldn't work the way they wanted. try it with the relay first and then see if you get exactly what you're looking for.
i'm not sure what the other red wire is for, i'm pretty sure i didn't use that. i'll double check my pictures and see if i used it, it's been a while now!

i'll look up my settings and see if anything stands out compared to your picture

One additional inquiry...

Now that you use the CarPlay dongle (which connects via bluetooth), do you ever tether your iPhone to your Nexus 7 anymore? Or is there even a need? If so, can you please explain how you do both? I would assume that if this is even possible, the iPhone would only be able to connect via mobile hotspot and WiFi connection on the tablet?

I found your thread in Reddit where you discussed auto tethering previously (see below).

https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskerne...o_iphone_help/

However, now that the dongle is around, I’m curious if you still dabble with tethering via the Bluetooth Auto Connect application?
i don't tether at all now! to be completely honest i use the carplay app with it autostarting about 99% of the time. i never even see my home screen any more and haven't tethered my phone since i got carplay. it was super tedious to tether my iphone because i have to manually turn on hotspot on my phone then turn on my wifi/bluetooth search on the tablet, and even then it was super slow. carplay eliminated all that and it's extremely quick. it was a game changer. if you wanted both you just do a hotspot like you mentioned.

Hey Dave, I just wanted to check-in to see if you had a chance to read my questions .
sorry it took me so long! and thanks for the reminder!
Old 01-29-2020 | 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response Dave. I'll have to first try with the relay to see if I can figure it out. With the car in storage, it makes it difficult to keep working on this project during these dark winter months. That and the fact that it is now tax season . Time for us CPAs to gear up!

Old 01-29-2020 | 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peter6
https://mega.nz/#!No5SxK5J!tjOnU34bLLhFYtOq2zgNCzhVenii4jWZX5kN81PUE1E

hey thanks Peter6. What instructions are you guys using to root your Nexus 7 and install SuperSU? There are a millions sites and it seems my setup is slightly different than most for some reason. I have a Nexus 7 2013 running android 6.0.1. It is unlocked and I have the latest version of twrp, but I'm getting lost on what's next. When I've tried to install the SuperSU file the device comes back and just says "SuperSu has stopped"??
Old 01-29-2020 | 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SILVRTL04
hey thanks Peter6. What instructions are you guys using to root your Nexus 7 and install SuperSU? There are a millions sites and it seems my setup is slightly different than most for some reason. I have a Nexus 7 2013 running android 6.0.1. It is unlocked and I have the latest version of twrp, but I'm getting lost on what's next. When I've tried to install the SuperSU file the device comes back and just says "SuperSu has stopped"??
follow all the instructions on timur's thread on reddit. everything is laid out very well
thoiboi (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020 | 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is a hyperlink to Timur's instructions via Reddit. These are the best instructions that I found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comm...rnel_onto_the/

sockr1, is also being humble. The instructions he provided within his first post are also very useful and I used them to supplement Timur's write-up.

Old 01-29-2020 | 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is instructions inside the archive that I linked. There should be superSU zip as well.

You can also try magisk. I personally like magisk better than superSU, but I'm not running Timur's on my tablet.
Old 01-30-2020 | 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight. I have all the parts, now I just need to get started. Also when i bought the Carlinkit dongle it talks like you need to download an app, however the QR code on the packaging doesn't work for me. I've had zero luck finding the manufacturer's app that is supposed to be used with it. Did you guys use any app or did it work once the Nexus 7 was rooted and unlocked?

BTW you all rock...this forum has really helped me!
Old 01-30-2020 | 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight. I have all the parts, now I just need to get started. Also when i bought the Carlinkit dongle it talks like you need to download an app, however the QR code on the packaging doesn't work for me. I've had zero luck finding the manufacturer's app that is supposed to be used with it. Did you guys use any app or did it work once the Nexus 7 was rooted and unlocked?

BTW you all rock...this forum has really helped me!
check out amazon, the products for carlink have a website listing in the notes somewhere. if you can't find it let me know
Old 01-30-2020 | 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Either that or the little booklet should have the website listed in the instructions. You can go to the website and download the apk.
Old 02-05-2020 | 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Nexus 7 with Carplay 2004 Acura TL

This is where I'm at...Nexus 7 2013 rooted and unlocked with Timur's Kernel and using the Carplay dongle in the car. I was also able to link to my car by using my iSimple Carconnect. I bluetoothed the Nexus to the Carconnect unit and it worked great! Now I just need to know if the aspect ratio can be fixed in the horizontal mode and I still haven't figured out how to update the background image and startup and shutdown animations.

Aspect ratio isn't quite right in horizontal mode

Old 02-05-2020 | 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

*I just dawned on me that the hyperlink I gave you previously was not the correct one. Although, it provides a useful summary, this hyperlink has the best instructions in my opinion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskerne...r_android_601/

Aspect Ratio: I'm not sure. I'd have to get my Nexus 7 out of the drawer and start looking at the AutoKit apk. Have you checked the app's setting? There is actually a decent amount of customization. I'd start there if you haven't already.

Background: What background are you referring to? The Nexus 7 homepage? A lot of people make custom backgrounds using editing software such as Photoshop, GIMP, etc. If you need source files (.psd), some of us should be able to share. Just let us know what you're looking for.

Startup/Shutdown videos: Within the PowerEventMgr (PEM) application, there are settings for the "Wakeup" and "Suspend" videos. From those settings, you can set how long you want each video to play and you can chose any video you'd like. Personally, I made custom Acura animation videos and saved them to my tablet. Then I chose them for each respective startup or shutdown.
Old 02-05-2020 | 12:53 PM
Safety Car

This is where I'm at...Nexus 7 2013 rooted and unlocked with Timur's Kernel and using the Carplay dongle in the car. I was also able to link to my car by using my iSimple Carconnect. I bluetoothed the Nexus to the Carconnect unit and it worked great! Now I just need to know if the aspect ratio can be fixed in the horizontal mode and I still haven't figured out how to update the background image and startup and shutdown animations.

Aspect ratio isn't quite right in horizontal mode
can you explain what functions you are using carconnect for?
i currently have no option for talking back to someone using my phone and carplay. the mic in the device does not pick up my voice and my bluetooth device for phone only works if i switch my audio on my phone manually.
were you able to successfully use carplay and your carconnect together to talk and listen to someone through carplay?

or if anyone else has ideas? i love my carplay but it's practically useless for talking on the phone in the car right now. i have to switch my phone to phone speaker right now when i answer a call.
Old 02-05-2020 | 01:02 PM
Intermediate

I'm using the iSimple Carconnect unit to get audio from the Nexus 7 to my car speakers. It was already installed in the vehicle. I just went out and hooked up the setup in my car again and tried to make a phone call...worked perfect!! I even tried a "Hey Siri" call to navigate and it seemed to work flawlessly. The mic was already installed in the car for the iSimple CarConnect unit, so it works with it.

Last edited by SILVRTL04; 02-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2020 | 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi Dave,

I have tested the same setup as SILVRTL04 and it works well:

iPhone -- (Phone Bluetooth) --> CarPlay Dongle -- (Plugged into) --> Nexus 7 -- (Nexus 7 Bluetooth) --> iSimple -- (Plugged into) --> XM Antenna

I have the iSimple microphone wired up by my sun visor area and phone calls work flawlessly. Siri also works this way too. I was amazed it actually all worked so well.

However, I know that you like using your auxiliary DAC for better audio, so I'm not sure how you can bypass this. It might be a trade-off you have to consider unless there is a quarky way that an iSimple microphone can can be used in AUX mode instead of Bluetooth only?
sockr1 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020 | 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Hi Dave,

I have tested the same setup as SILVRTL04 and it works well:

iPhone -- (Phone Bluetooth) --> CarPlay Dongle -- (Plugged into) --> Nexus 7 -- (Nexus 7 Bluetooth) --> iSimple -- (Plugged into) --> XM Antenna

I have the iSimple microphone wired up by my sun visor area and phone calls work flawlessly. Siri also works this way too. I was amazed it actually all worked so well.

However, I know that you like using your auxiliary DAC for better audio, so I'm not sure how you can bypass this. It might be a trade-off you have to consider unless there is a quarky way that an iSimple microphone can can be used in AUX mode instead of Bluetooth only?
appreciate the feedback! hmm yea i can't give up the DAC audio quality, it's phenomenal haha. not a huge deal about phone just the last item i haven't figured out yet. my work commute is 1 minute 3 days a week and the other two days it's 15 min so it's not like i'm driving so much i need to answer phone calls haha. i just like things being perfect!
Old 02-05-2020 | 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Navigation bar gone

So I tried to install the navbar file from this post and it eliminated my navbar completely and wiped out my wallpaper?? I need a navbar restore file or a good navbar to install if someone has one. At this point I don't even have a way to get back out of an app once I've clicked on it. I've rebooted and no change...the navigation bar is completely gone. For some reason the navbar_7786_MOB30X_navbar.zip file has totally removed all my navigation bar icons. I could use a little help...not sure how to get it back now.
Old 02-05-2020 | 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Definitely stumped on this one...I just went back into the recovery and wiped it back to factory and the navbar is still missing.
Old 02-05-2020 | 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

That .zip replaces the system app, so if something went wrong, factory resetting won't fix it.

Either you used wrong .zip or you have different ROM on your Nexus. Next time, before modifying system data, do a backup in TWRP.

I guess either try to flash that .zip again, as it won't break the system any more, or re-flash the whole ROM. (or you can try extracting the .apk or lib or whatever that zip modifies from the clean system image and replace the file manually using TWRP. But there is chance that it will still not work). You are running MOB30X ROM, right?
Old 02-16-2020 | 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Yes, that's what I was running. Not sure what happened, but I was able to get the Nexus back up and running. It was bricked for a while though... what a mess. Still working thru a few bugs that I want to address before installing it in the TL, but it shouldn't be long and I'll post picks when I get it up and running.
Old 04-05-2020 | 03:44 PM
9th Gear

Hey all, I’ve followed this thread for awhile now. Been running my nexus 7 setup for a couple years now, no issues.

I recently bought a new car, so the wife is driving the TL now and we sold her accord that had much higher mileage. It was an 8th gen and the only requirement for her driving the TL was to retain something similar to lane watch.

here is what I’ve done: purchased a second easy cap dongle, mounted a camera underneath the passenger mirror and ran cable in and attached.

here is my issue: with the car started, I have a shortcut to Easycap viewer, since the side camera dongle is on all the time, it starts up that camera fine.

switch into reverse, only some of the time will the software switch to the other camera. (Everything hooked up per OP instructions with relay)

now I have to admit, when doing this project, I have no clue what is actually engaging the tablet to start the easy cap app. There is nothing in tasker for it and in PowerEventManager, everything is unchecked for this feature. (I’ll assume Timur kernel is doing the magic)

so, with that being said. How can I fix this to where one easycap is always primary and if the other turns on(reverse) it force changes to that input?

im ok if to re-enable side camera you have to launch easycap manually.

any ideas?
Old 04-06-2020 | 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

In "standard" android, when some app starts and asks for permission to access device (easycap) it is registered in the system. Apps can register as default handler, and then system shows prompt if you want to launch that app if device is detected again. This is done similarly in Timur, just there is no prompts. (it's a guess based on observation - I never programmed anything on Android)

In "standard" android, I would try to get two different easycap capable apps, and try to register each to different camera. Never tried that so no idea if that would work.

If software fails, there are couple hardware ways of switching cameras.
- Either use guitar pedal switch or relay to switch from one camera to other. That would require only one easy cap device that is ON all the time, and two cameras. It would switch on wire going from camera to easy cap. Risk here is interference, and I'm not sure how easy cap will behave on immediate switch of source.
- Either use some switch or relay to switch powers to easy cap devices. Two easy caps, each for one camera. One is disconnected from power, second is powered up. That would require some timing as tablet would have issues switching that fast. For example turn off first easycap, wait one second, power second easycap on.

Since I don't run timur, and I don't have two easycaps, you are all alone here. Try what works the best.
Old 04-20-2020 | 03:12 AM
10th Gear

Hello. I'm having trouble with the camera when the car is running. It keeps the double image and shaking full of interference ...
I read that it may be because of the CAN-BUS system.
How can I fix this?

Do I solve with this filter :?
Amazon Amazon
748bd1228267e2ca1af03bf827dca2dc

or with this :?
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07...U32SZ5O4&psc=1

Thank you very much
Old 04-20-2020 | 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Can bus, in simple words, is a way of communication used by computers in cars. There's no can bus involvement in nexus project. Camera to EasyCap is analog, EasyCap to nexus uses USB. Interference in this system can be caused by couple things. First make sure you have good quality power supply and grounds. Make sure you have correct system selected (NTSC vs PAL).

That is, if you are talking about Nexus 7 install, you know, since you wrote in thread about nexus 7. If you are having problem with factory backup camera then that's a slightly different animal.
Old 04-20-2020 | 09:09 AM
10th Gear

I followed this tutorial as an example. I use the Nexus 7 without battery and connected to a permanent 12v fuse ... OTG Y cable powered by 12v ignition, -> usb hub powered by 12v ignition too -> usb cable with 5v cut in relay-> easycap-> reverse camera. Reverse camera is connected to the reverse light ...

But maybe the error is here, I have the ground of the camera and the relay, connected to the ground of the reverse light?

Or I really need a filter like this to remove interference when the car is on ...
Old 04-20-2020 | 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

What power supply did you use to get 12v to Nexus? I remember trying couple before I found one that didn't cause audio interference.

Do you have two power supplies then? One from perm 12v -> tablet (instead of the battery) and second from 12v ignition -> usb?
Old 04-20-2020 | 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Exactly. I have 2 power supplies. Both with cigarette lighter charger.
Permanent 12v like this:
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32970...2742b90aNFdI3c

And the 12v ignition to Tablet and usb HUB:
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32869...2742b90aNFdI3c

I have with me one of lm2596 dc / dc module if necessary. But I didn't get to apply
Old 04-20-2020 | 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

When using multiple power supplies weird things can happen. Most of the time one will end up supplying 90% of the power anyways (as one regulates to 5.0V and other to 5.1V).

I did remove battery in my tablet, but I'm using one power supply. Signal from ignition switch is feed into arduino which turns on the relay, but in your case you can do a simple 12v relay that switches the power to feed USB.

Did you put everything back together already? If no then I would check out if wiring everything like this solves the issue:

That's pretty much what I got and it's been working fine for some time.
Old 04-20-2020 | 01:43 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for response. In your example where you put the camera?

This is my example:
Should i remove the cigarrete lighter charger and replace with lm2596 module?

The tablet works well. And the camera with the car turned off too (there is little interference), but if I start the car the image doubles and is full of interference
I'm in Opel Astra H. I'm from Portugal.
Old 04-20-2020 | 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

LM2596 is just a generic buck converter, right? Ones I'm finding are rated at 2A continuous which is most likely not much for this application. Also, depending on the manufacturer, it might output quite a noisy signal, affecting image and sound quality. But you can try it.

Like I posted, I would replace two chargers with one quality charger. I also added some caps right on the nexus. Before, sometimes easycap would fail to start.

If everything is still taken apart, just connect any charger both as battery and usb and check if problem went away. If it does then you can worry how to implement it into working setup.
Maybe also try to connect camera and usb hub grounds together.

You need to try couple things and see what works best.

Quick Reply: 2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera