2008 TL Nav Audio options: Aux vs Bluetooth for Play/Pause/Skip

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 TL Nav Audio options: Aux vs Bluetooth for Play/Pause/Skip

New 2008 TL Nav owner here. So far, loving the car!

I'm used to the Motorola T505 in my old car for Bluetooth audio and phone calls through FM modulation and the T505's built-in microphone. With HFL available in the TL, I'm aware that I have hands-free phone profiles but no A2DP on the 3G models.

A few questions, all related:
  • What do current 3G TL owners with the built-in AUX port typically utilize for audio from phones/media players?
  • Does the AUX port support only a standard two-ring 3.5mm TRS cable? Or does it possibly support a three-ring TRRS cable (like Apple's iPod) that allows for play/pause/skip-esque functionality through the center stack?
  • Does Bluetooth in the car allow for play/pause/skip of songs on the media player, even through the car doesn't support A2DP? Or is that a requisite functionality of A2DP?
  • If I keep something like the T505, or buy a new Bluetooth module that hooks in to the AUX, does the car switch well over to Bluetooth to handle incoming calls? Or is that a 'shared responsibility' with the connected phone?
  • Finally, is it just me, or is it strange that we still use the AUX port technology that is nearly 150 years old for connecting audio equipment?
Thanks in advance. My searches for these questions came up dry but any references to existing threads is also appreciated.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bjabram
  • What do current 3G TL owners with the built-in AUX port typically utilize for audio from phones/media players?
This probably won't help you, but I use an old iPod (3rd gen, I think) with a car charger dock connector that has the 3.5mm line out. My iPod came with a tiny wired remote that plugs into the top of the ipod, that you can plug the headphones into. My ipod sits in the top tray of the center console and the remote comes out of the front of the console (usually leave it sitting by the shifter).

The only audio control the car gives me is volume. I haven't been motivated enough to get an iSimple (or equivalent), mostly because of issues people have had, but also because what I have now works and is free...

If the iPod or my charger breaks, I'm screwed though (my iPod won't charge via the new USB chargers).

• Does the AUX port support only a standard two-ring 3.5mm TRS cable? Or does it possibly support a three-ring TRRS cable (like Apple's iPod) that allows for play/pause/skip-esque functionality through the center stack?
I can't say I know 100%, but I think it's the standard two-ring 3.5mm cable.

• Does Bluetooth in the car allow for play/pause/skip of songs on the media player, even through the car doesn't support A2DP? Or is that a requisite functionality of A2DP?
It's part of A2DP. Our bluetooth controls are limited to phone functions.

• If I keep something like the T505, or buy a new Bluetooth module that hooks in to the AUX, does the car switch well over to Bluetooth to handle incoming calls? Or is that a 'shared responsibility' with the connected phone?
This should work correctly, as the TL will interrupt whatever audio source (in this case, AUX) with the incoming call. Once the call is completed, the TL restores the source (AUX).

The way the phone handles the music is up to the phone. I imagine most phones would pause the music, and automatically start playing once the phone call ends (depending on the music app I guess... I haven't tested this on any of my android phones). If it does automatically pause and resume, it'll work perfectly with the TL in that aspect (well, besides controlling the music from your phone and not your head unit or steering wheel). If it doesn't pause the music, or you have to hit 'play' again after, it could be a little annoying... but not horrible.

• Finally, is it just me, or is it strange that we still use the AUX port technology that is nearly 150 years old for connecting audio equipment?
The AUX port I can understand, as it's universal with pretty much any device. I'm still confused about the cassete tape deck in a 2008

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
bjabram (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would suggest getting an iSimple. it works great. i love it. it allows you to control your ipod with the factory HU and the steering wheel controls. it automatically pauses the song when your on the phone and continues when the call ends. it also charges your ipod so it never dies. good luck
The following users liked this post:
bjabram (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear

This was all extremely helpful. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mm042990
i would suggest getting an iSimple. it works great. i love it. it allows you to control your ipod with the factory HU and the steering wheel controls. it automatically pauses the song when your on the phone and continues when the call ends. it also charges your ipod so it never dies. good luck
I'll go ahead and start looking at the iSimple options. I've seen iSimple in these forums many times but hesitated given the requirements, but sounds like this is a great way to go. Hopefully 3G TL options + iSimple approximates 4G TL options.