2005 Acura TL DVD-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
2005 Acura TL DVD-Audio

Okay so first of all i have done my research and read so many different things that i got kind of confuse. before i had read anything i tried burning a mp3 CD and AAC CD and DVD+R and when i did my research found out 04-06 models don't play mp3's. Then i read that if you convert you mp3's into ISO image and burned them that they would work. the software i used let me burn the ISO image as an ISO burn or DVD burn. I tried both on the DVD+R and no luck. I have read that some people got DVD+R to work and since i had like 50 i tried using them but no luck. Any of you guys had any luck with DVD+R?? By the way i already ordered the DVD+R cd's to see if i can get those too work.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
no I never bothered with mine. I just got an ipod and ipod hook up was already there.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
download Adobemans DVDA script or GUI.
you will need to convert your mp3s to wavs.
then you put the wavs into a folder that is included in the program.

run the program.
it will make the iso for you.
then use nero or any other burning rom to burn the ISO.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by myron
no I never bothered with mine. I just got an ipod and ipod hook up was already there.
So the 05 TL have and ipod input to connect the ipod to the stereo??
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
download Adobemans DVDA script or GUI.
you will need to convert your mp3s to wavs.
then you put the wavs into a folder that is included in the program.

run the program.
it will make the iso for you.
then use nero or any other burning rom to burn the ISO.

okay so i have a program where i can convert my audio files. So if i convert them into wavs. Then i have a program that's called create-burn iso image. So when i put the files in the program to burn them. It gives me three options, "create iso file" where it would turn the wavs into an iso file. then "burn iso" and "burn cd/dvd"... which one should i use? and also are you doing this with a dvd+r or dvd-r?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
Okay so first of all i have done my research and read so many different things that i got kind of confuse. before i had read anything i tried burning a mp3 CD and AAC CD and DVD+R and when i did my research found out 04-06 models don't play mp3's. Then i read that if you convert you mp3's into ISO image and burned them that they would work. the software i used let me burn the ISO image as an ISO burn or DVD burn. I tried both on the DVD+R and no luck. I have read that some people got DVD+R to work and since i had like 50 i tried using them but no luck. Any of you guys had any luck with DVD+R?? By the way i already ordered the DVD+R cd's to see if i can get those too work.
So the 05 TL have and ipod input to connect the ipod to the stereo??
okay so i have a program where i can convert my audio files. So if i convert them into wavs. Then i have a program that's called create-burn iso image. So when i put the files in the program to burn them. It gives me three options, "create iso file" where it would turn the wavs into an iso file. then "burn iso" and "burn cd/dvd"... which one should i use? and also are you doing this with a dvd+r or dvd-r?
^No, 04-06 do not play mp3s nor do they have an external input. You can buy kits that will input for you.
justnspace has it right.
No, you didn't do your research. Search "Adobeman's DVDA".
Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwb993
^No, 04-06 do not play mp3s nor do they have an external input. You can buy kits that will input for you.
justnspace has it right.
No, you didn't do your research. Search "Adobeman's DVDA".
I have downloaded Adobeman's DVDA and i can't install it because i need to install .net framework 1.1.4322 and i can't find it anywhere. The link on his page is not good and microsoft.com doesn't have it. i tried downloading 1.1 and 4.0 from their sight but the adobemans program still doesn't install it says i need 1.1.4322. So i'm trying to see if there's a way i can make it on my computer with my programs. i'm not interested in the 6.1 surround. i just want to fit a lot of songs on a disk. like i said i could convert them to wav and then into ISO. i just don't have a program that burns DVD-A. I could burn the ISO into DVD+R as data but i don't think it will work.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Instructor

I found a software for mac that's free and create DVD-A disc. I haven't tried because i have windows. http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Try here:
http://www.92hi.com/downloads/dotnetfx.exe
Install SP1 from here:
http://www.92hi.com/downloads/NDP1.1...867460-X86.exe
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM

you're on the right track MnM27.

I use three programs to make my dvd-a's
CDEX ----> mp3s to wavs.
ADOBEMANS script ---> I use his script because i couldnt find the microsoft frame network either. this program creates the dvd-a ISO.
NERO ----> burn the ISO
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Drifting

^Agreed. If you don't have Nero, use IMGBurn, a free burning utility.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
n00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tracked down a DVD-A version of a disc in .ISO, snd tried to burn it to a DVD. The burn came out fine, but it wouldn't play on my stereo. What gives?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Perry
I tracked down a DVD-A version of a disc in .ISO, snd tried to burn it to a DVD. The burn came out fine, but it wouldn't play on my stereo. What gives?
our ELS stereo has a system in place where it will not read burned dvd-a disk.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by justnspace
our ELS stereo has a system in place where it will not read burned dvd-a disk.
Really? I didn't know that. Isn't that what Adobeman's program does though?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Perry
Really? I didn't know that. Isn't that what Adobeman's program does though?

Originally Posted by oblio98
I tried a bunch of stuff with the audio system. I administer a surround sound website so the surround sound aspect of the ELS system has always been important to me. Since I've owned an 04TL (First ELS system), an 05 RL (Bose surround system), 07 RDX (2nd Gen ELS system) I am always curious about the differences. Now with this 3rd generation ELS system I gave it a real test. Some disappointments ensured.

First off, I was hoping that with the "death" of DVD-Audio, they would have removed the watermark (copyright protection) circuits from the deck so that it would play copies of DVD-Audio discs. Many new home players (Oppo for example) do not have this circuitry and will play DVD-A copies. Unfortunately, the ELS system still has this crap in it, and a copied DVD-A stops and ejects after 10 seconds or so (as it should).

And no, Adobeman software is creating a disk not directly copying, or disk to disk copying.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DVD-Audio Created at Home

First my question. Has anyone created a DVD-Audio for our ELS systems with a DVD-R DL disc? If so, does it work?
Second, my response to one of the posts on here that says our system can't play burned discs. I've made about 10 DVD-Audio discs burned on my computer. I take DVDs I own of live concerts and then do a bunch of conversion (that's a whole separate discussion) to create my DVD-Audio discs (yes the car says DVDA on the screen and the 5.1 sound is clear). My favorite is Pink Floyd's Pulse concert...sounds amazing in the TL in 5.1.
For those thinking of creating their own DVD-As,there are a bunch of good tutorials on this forum...Adobeman has some good tutorials but I ended up doing mine after a combination of what I read across the TL forums and some Google searching. Anyway, it works...just make sure you use DVD-R discs...not DVD+R.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Watermarks

The previous poster is correct. In my experience, I can't get a burned disc that has watermarks to play in my TL. Plays fine on the computer...just not in the car.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Yes, the DL disks will work with Adobeman's software.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used fox tab audio converter and dvd audio solo to make playable dvd-a disc's using dvd-r's...just use fox tab to convert any of your mp3 to wav. once the file is "wav". open dvd audio drag file and when you good with what you have just burn......pretty simple...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Drifting

DVD Audio Solo is a good tool, too.
Never tried Fox Tab---I use Fairstars Audio Converter---but any good audio utility works well. Use what you're familiar with---hell, I think even i-Tunes lets you convert formats.
Note that Adobeman also has a script tool available to turn 2 channel wav into simulated 5.1. It works pretty well with studio recordings. Live recordings tend to already have a certain "washed-out" quality to them that doesn't play well with the algorithms.
Both of the Adobeman tools are very good quality and have served me well. Kudos to him for making these available!

Last edited by dwb993; 05-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I used to use Adobeman's GUI on my old Vista PC. Got a new PC this spring and it runs Windows 7 and I had trouble getting the .NET framework 1.1 to run on Windows 7, so I wound up springing for HD-Audio Solo Ultra (which will also created simulated 5.1). I thought about Discwelder until I discovered that Discwelder Bronze allows only one group per DVD. I depend on the multiple groups so that I can use the DVD-As to carry large amounts of CD audio on fewer discs. The Cirlinca software is $35 cheaper than Discwelder, too. I find it to be somewhat more convenient than Adobeman's because it burns and finalizes the disc for you in addition to creating the .ISO image, but on the other hand Adobeman's is free. Either one should work quite well for more people. On my old PC I used dbpoweramp to convert file formats.

As an aside, my new PC has a LightScribe drive and it's quite the useful feature when you're putting as many as 11 CDs on a single DVD-A.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:24 AM
2005 Acura TL

i know this seems a bit outta place maybe, cant we just buy a 2007 stereo and mount that into our car?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by elusive_tl
i know this seems a bit outta place maybe, cant we just buy a 2007 stereo and mount that into our car?
It's not as easy as it sounds, wiring is different and the sub-screens wouldn't work, esp with the navi models.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
i kinda have to lol at the fact that acura promotes itself as high tech luxury, but in 2006 they had a tape deck and not a aux port or ability to read mp3.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by geekybiker
i kinda have to lol at the fact that acura promotes itself as high tech luxury, but in 2006 they had a tape deck and not a aux port or ability to read mp3.
.MP3 is a low-fidelity format and does not belong in a car being marketed as a luxury vehicle. Anyway, they're not marketing to 20-something year-old kids.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
.MP3 is a low-fidelity format and does not belong in a car being marketed as a luxury vehicle. Anyway, they're not marketing to 20-something year-old kids.
exactly the answer I was going to give.

back in 2003/2004 the targeted audience was an older refined group of people.
what 20 year old could afford a $35k vehicle?
I know I couldnt.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Seriously? mp3 even in 2004 was a pretty big deal. Its not just a 20-something thing. Wasn't then and isn't now. Yes, its a lower fidelity format, but I'll bet you $100 that you can't do much better than chance vs 320kps mp3 in a proper blind test. Other "lesser" makes had this tech in 2004. When the car came out how behind the times a cassette deck is was a common topic on the boards.

Acura was behind the times with this one. In 2004 they just barely could "get away with it" since not everyone had added aux ports and mp3 capability. However its a sore excuse for a company that wants to be seen as a tech leader.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Seriously? mp3 even in 2004 was a pretty big deal. Its not just a 20-something thing. Wasn't then and isn't now. Yes, its a lower fidelity format, but I'll bet you $100 that you can't do much better than chance vs 320kps mp3 in a proper blind test. Other "lesser" makes had this tech in 2004. When the car came out how behind the times a cassette deck is was a common topic on the boards.

Acura was behind the times with this one. In 2004 they just barely could "get away with it" since not everyone had added aux ports and mp3 capability. However its a sore excuse for a company that wants to be seen as a tech leader.
It doesn't matter whether it was a "pretty big deal." It's a low-fidelity format and they opted for DVD-Audio instead. I don't see why some people get so worked up about the tape deck. Who gives a damn? If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.

.MP3 files have their place. If I have a choice between an .MP3 concert bootleg or no bootleg, then I'll take the .MP3 version. It's better than nothing. But when they put in a stereo that plays a high-rez format, it would be rather inconsistent to put in the capability to play a lossy-compressed format (which by definition is inherently low-rez).
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
It doesn't matter whether it was a "pretty big deal." It's a low-fidelity format and they opted for DVD-Audio instead. I don't see why some people get so worked up about the tape deck. Who gives a damn? If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.

.MP3 files have their place. If I have a choice between an .MP3 concert bootleg or no bootleg, then I'll take the .MP3 version. It's better than nothing. But when they put in a stereo that plays a high-rez format, it would be rather inconsistent to put in the capability to play a lossy-compressed format (which by definition is inherently low-rez).

Thank god they opted for DVD-Audio! Love some lossless audio

I mean if I had my choice, the tape deck wouldn't be there...but it's not a big deal. It says Acura on it and doesn't look as bad as it could. Sure, tapes were something of older days, but I'd rather have a tape deck and DVD-A then no tape deck and aux port! MP3

I just built a beast of a PC and I've used mac for the past 3 years so I'm on the hunt for the best free programs to convert files from FLAC -> WAV and then burn the iso/DVD-A. Wish me luck
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM

For burning the .ISO to the DVD you don't need anything special—any burning software should do the trick because you're just burning a file to a disc (a very very big file, true, but still just a file). The special software is needed to create the .ISO with the necessary structure. I use Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Ultra to create DVD-As and it will burn the disc for you as part of the process. It's not free, but it's been very reliable. I used to use Adobeman's software that's available elsewhere on this site, but when I got a new PC earlier this year I had trouble getting the necessary version of the .NET Framework to work with Windows 7, so I gave up and bought the Cirlinca software. It's been well worth it, as I burned a bunch of DVD-As in June in advance of a trip to Florida.

I haven't dealt with much FLAC stuff since I got the new PC and so have no recommendation there.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I haven't dealt with much FLAC stuff since I got the new PC and so have no recommendation there.
Why not?? That's the beauty of DVD-A!..the ability to use lossless audio. If you're downloading songs that are 5-6mb per song then you're getting 128-320kbps bitrates. Big difference, at least for me and my hearing, compared to lossless audio. BIG difference.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Why not?? That's the beauty of DVD-A!..the ability to use lossless audio. If you're downloading songs that are 5-6mb per song then you're getting 128-320kbps bitrates. Big difference, at least for me and my hearing, compared to lossless audio. BIG difference.
I just haven't downloaded a lot in the couple of months I've had this PC. Prior to our Florida trip I was more interested in consolidating the CD library that used to reside in the glove compartment onto DVD-As to free up the space for other things (like a few commercial DVD-As). So that involved ripping those CDs directly to .WAV and then creating the DVD-As. I'm not sure WHY I never consolidated all those before, I just never had.

One big nuisance for me if I transfer any of my old mixed tapes to DVD-A is that I used to challenge myself to make the gaps between the tracks as short as possible. I can think of at least one mixed tape I have where the end of "You Shook Me All Night Long" cuts DIRECTLY to the first chords of "Who Are You" and it sounds like it's a single track. Problem is, unless I sit in front of the CD recorder and manually insert all the track breaks, I wind up with the tape transferring as a single track because the CD recorder doesn't encounter enough silence to realize it needs to break the track there. It's hard to find the time to sit down there with the remote inserting the track breaks. So if I want to listen to one of my old mixed tapes, I usually just bring it with me. Yes, I HAVE used the TL's cassette player from time to time! The only real nuisance is when I want to play a tape that I recorded using Dolby C Noise Reduction. The TL's tape player, like most car tape players, only supports Dolby B.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

It would have been trivial for them to support both. It simply wasn't forward thinking of them to not include support. I guess you can say the exact same thing about it as the tape deck- if you don't like it, don't use it. However I bet the majority of people would have got more mileage out of mp3 capability.

I get a little tired of people claiming they hear dramatic difference between high bit rate compressed audio and lossless audio though. Seriously try a blind comparison some time. I was totally in you camp until I did real ABX testing and found out those differences are pretty much impossible to spot if you don't know which one you're listening to ahead of time. Blind is incredibly important as you *will* hear differences if you know what sample is being played. I did the whole testing thing in small steps to determine what quality I should compress my cd library at and found by 256k I was doing barely better than chance. By 300k It was chance.