12V Source when headlights off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
12V Source when headlights off?

Anyone know where I can get a 12v source when my headlights or parking lights are off. I'm working on installing the Accord fog light switch to the DRLs so that I can turn them off when I want only fogs or parking lights.

I'm going to set up a relay that sends 12v to the DRL fuse bay. I could just use any 12v source, but if I have the switch on when the headlights are on (the car will turn the DRLs off), but the green indicator light will stay on.

I want that indicator light on only if the DRLs are on. Not a big deal, but if there is an easy way to do this please let me know.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I think people have been using the windshield wipers as a 12v source in the engine bay. I need more info on this also..
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

More info: I've wired my fog lights with an independent harness to the accord fog light switch located by the VSA button. This is only worth it if I can use them without the DRLs. For three years now I have had no DRLs but would use them if there was a switch. I'm going to install a switch that essentially plugs in the DRL fuse. This is not an attempt to fix the dash light. I can live with the dash light.

I'm going to hook my fogs up to my stock switch by running the blue white from the steering column to the ground of my harness relay. This way I can use the stock switch. I want be able to turn the DRLs off if I want to run just fog lights or just parking lights. Since I'll have the accord switch, I want to connect my DRLs to it.

It's totally doable however the switch has a green light when in the "on" position. But since I'm going to use this switch to activate a relay that completes the DRL circuit in the fuse bay (driver's foot well), the green light will be on even if the DRLs are not on. In other words, if the headlights are off, the car turns the DRLs on. The switch will essentially "pull" the fuse when in the off position. If I were to leave the switch in the on position (green light on), and then turn the headlights on, this would turn the DRLs off, but since the switch is in the "on" position, the green light would still be on.

I can live with this, but if I have a 12v source when the parking lights are off, I could run that to the switch's 12v input which powers the light and also supplies 12v signal to the relay. In other words, if the switch is in the "on" position, it would then power the green light and send a signal to the relay which would turn on the DRLs. If the parking lights are on, it would not send a 12v signal to the switch, which would mean no light or trigger.

I've used relays in the past that would do this, but don't have any right now. I'm not looking for any 12v source. I need a 12v source that is lost when the parking lights are on.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mug
More info: I've wired my fog lights with an independent harness to the accord fog light switch located by the VSA button. This is only worth it if I can use them without the DRLs. For three years now I have had no DRLs but would use them if there was a switch. I'm going to install a switch that essentially plugs in the DRL fuse. This is not an attempt to fix the dash light. I can live with the dash light.

I'm going to hook my fogs up to my stock switch by running the blue white from the steering column to the ground of my harness relay. This way I can use the stock switch. I want be able to turn the DRLs off if I want to run just fog lights or just parking lights. Since I'll have the accord switch, I want to connect my DRLs to it.

It's totally doable however the switch has a green light when in the "on" position. But since I'm going to use this switch to activate a relay that completes the DRL circuit in the fuse bay (driver's foot well), the green light will be on even if the DRLs are not on. In other words, if the headlights are off, the car turns the DRLs on. The switch will essentially "pull" the fuse when in the off position. If I were to leave the switch in the on position (green light on), and then turn the headlights on, this would turn the DRLs off, but since the switch is in the "on" position, the green light would still be on.

I can live with this, but if I have a 12v source when the parking lights are off, I could run that to the switch's 12v input which powers the light and also supplies 12v signal to the relay. In other words, if the switch is in the "on" position, it would then power the green light and send a signal to the relay which would turn on the DRLs. If the parking lights are on, it would not send a 12v signal to the switch, which would mean no light or trigger.

I've used relays in the past that would do this, but don't have any right now. I'm not looking for any 12v source. I need a 12v source that is lost when the parking lights are on.

Hope that helps.
Im kinda of confused about what you are trying to do since I am not so familiar with the combo switch and the blue ground wire you are talking about. BUT, I think a 5 pole relay will work for what you want. It is a regular bosch type relay with an extra pin ,87a. More info here:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...w-wire-up.html
Quoted from that site:
here is what happens inside the 5-lead/pin SPDT relay. you'll notice that instead of an 'off' position, there is an electrical contact (87a). on the left the coil is NOT powered, and pins 30 and 87a are connected. on the right the coil IS powered, and pins 30 and 87 are connected.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Drifting

If you use the above relay, you would connect your power to your DRL to pin 87a. And pin 86 will be your power wire for your headlights. This is how I am planning on doing my DRLs. Just cant find anywhere local that has the relay with the 87a pin. So, I have to order it off of the net somewhere.

With this setup, your lights DRL will turn on when the relay gets power, and will turn off once you turn on your headlights. Now that I think about it , you will need another relay to give power once the car is on. Which will be your switched power.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Awesome! You got it! I guess I do just use a standard relay for this. I just always thought the 87 and 87a were to the lights. I just looked at my current fog light relay and it has two 87s, so when the relay is "on", both 87s get power.

For the switch power relay (#1): 30 to battery, 86 to ground, 85 to parking lights, 87a to DRL 12v "in" on switch, 87 to nothing.

For the DRL relay (#2): 30 to battery, 86 to ground, 85 to 12v "out" from Accord Switch, 87 to cold side of DRL fuse slot.

This way, when the parking lights are off, relay #1's 87a is a 12v source for my switch. If the switch has power and in the on position, it will send a 12v source to another relay that will complete the fuse. When the parking lights turn on, it cut power to the switch so no green light or DRLs.

Now do you see what I'm doing? I have an 07 so I have stock DRLs (not sure if I mentioned that yet, sorry).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

So, the only time my green light on the switch will be on is when I first start the car and the e-brake is on. Stock DRLs won't turn on until you release the e-brake. After you put it down, they stay on unless the headlights are on. I'm ok with this.

I'm going to do this Saturday.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Wait, relay #1 30 needs to be to accessory power, not the battery.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mug
Wait, relay #1 30 needs to be to accessory power, not the battery.
yup.. so it will only turn on when you turn the car on.. this is where the windshield wiper motor comes into play.. So you have a regular relay for this.. and them an 5 pin relay for the DRLs to turn off once your headlights turn on.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Is there an easy to find parking light wire under the dash or do I need to run one from the bulb?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Ok, this is what I'm doing. I'm hoping to find a parking light wire under the dash so I don't have to run a wire to the front corner. Let me know if you know where a parking light wire is.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Drifting

See mine will be waay different since I do not have the factory DRL stuff. Can you just bypass the DDRL wiring by just cutting the wires to your lights? Or will you get a code on your dash?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Right. It I use stock wiring, then I won't have the DRL warning light all the time.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Ok, this all worked. Except my DRL fuse number is wrong on my hand drawn diagram, it's really #3. Now I can turn my DRLs on when I want and have independent fogs!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Glad you got it working.. My turn now! I am waiting to receive the fuses with the 87a prong.. No where local to me sells it.. just purchased 5 off of ebay for 15.00. But I will be making factory DRLs.. I also need to figur eout how to turn fog light on whenever I want.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

This is how I did fogs with the stock switch (in case you haven't seen this page yet). Looks like it works with all 3Gs:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/hid-fog-lights-oem-switch-setup-747560/
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Yah I saw that page.. actually posted in it already lol.. I hope to tackle this project in the next few weeks .. just work schedule is crazy.. and got some other mods I need to take care of first..