08 TYPE S sound system questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 TYPE S sound system questions

Hey guys, as I'm sure many of you agree the ELS system is pretty lackluster. I wanted to install components into my car last year but the auto guy told me that I would have to change my head unit if I wanted to do this. Now I am def not about to throw away my navi and stock head unit for after market speakers. But I've heard from some people here that they have been able too upgrade...

I already have an Alpine Type R 12inch in a custom ported box in the trunk installed along with a kenwood 500 (or 800 I can't remember) watt amp. The sub as you can imagine makes the speakers sound even less underpowered lol.

I was wondering if it's possible to drop components into the factory made slots for both the mid and tweeter (center channel too if it's possible) without losing the factory headunit, without losing power and without losing my steering controls.

Has anyone here been successfull in doing this with a type s?

If it is possible what are some good components (and rear speakers) that will sound good to a person who mostly listens to house/trance some rock and rap music?

I'm lookin to spend about $500 give or take since I already have a sub and amp.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is most definitely possible. I've done it, and so have many other 3G TL owners here. You posted in the right section, and all you have to do is look in this section and click on the many different threads with people's write-ups/pics on their system upgrades!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by princelybug
This is most definitely possible. I've done it, and so have many other 3G TL owners here. You posted in the right section, and all you have to do is look in this section and click on the many different threads with people's write-ups/pics on their system upgrades!
Hey pricelybug,

I have looked at a bunch of threads and espeically paid attn to DeathtoToasters thread on the DIY. I won't be Doing it myself though. Basically I was wondering if someone could push me in a good direction with my budget and type of music in mind. I use to drive a 99 3.2 TL (I'm a TL fanboy you could say :p ) and dumped about $1200 into aftermarket audio equip (infinity kappa perfect components plus the sub I have) and I really wasn't impressed.

Btw you mentioned you did it. Do you own a Type S? I can't remember if the sound system is the same between an 08 type s and a base TL. Did you lose the steering wheel controls? Did the system seem underpowered due to the stock head unit (navi)?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Also one more thing. Is getting a JL cleansweep or Rockford Fosgate 3sixty worth it to me since I am keeping the stock HU? Which one is the better bang for buck? And what exactly do each of these do? IIRC they are made for people who want to keep the stock HU but want the quality of an after market HU.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Also (dunno why there isn't an edit button) what size components will fit in the slots without cutting? And will the tweeters fit in there location as well?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by mobusta
Also one more thing. Is getting a JL cleansweep or Rockford Fosgate 3sixty worth it to me since I am keeping the stock HU? Which one is the better bang for buck? And what exactly do each of these do? IIRC they are made for people who want to keep the stock HU but want the quality of an after market HU.
Before you spend the cash on a clean-sweep and splice into wires, first listen to the sound system with the speakers and amp after it is done, see if it's worth it then. Then you can cut into the pre-amp wires and add in the clean-sweep or the sound processor. The 3.sixty.2 is probably one of the best for the TL's functions since it can process 5.1 audio. With many of the other processors, you loose the 5.1 function of audio (Dolby Pro Logic II along with some issues with navigation voice and HFL voice).

Originally Posted by mobusta
Also (dunno why there isn't an edit button) what size components will fit in the slots without cutting? And will the tweeters fit in there location as well?
The edit button lasts for 5 minutes after posting, as long as you stay on the same thread. I believe that the speakers are 6.5 inch speakers all around, there is a thread here with the exact specs on them. If you are thinking about having a good sound system, also consider upping your budget and add in some sound insulation like dynamat or Second skin audio's products. Either are good, but can become a bit expensive if you do a whole car.