07 TL-S Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 TL-S Remote Starter

Does anyone have one of these installed? If so, please provide the brand name/features etc. I have a viper 791XV installed in my '04 Envoy and besides making the mistake of having the morons at Princeton Best Buy install it I love it. I'm considering purchasing one for the TL but I have had many people at the dealership suggest not having one installed because of acura electrical system.

Suggestions/Comments?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have it on my TL-S, but If I were to get one I would purchase the CompuStar Remote Start/Alarm and purhcase their new CompuTrack service which allows you to start/stop your car from anywhere you have internet or a cell phone, as well as track your car if it is ever stolen, or even disable it from being started. Go to www.compustar.com and check it out. I have there older version in my Integra, and the remote start works great and mcuh further then any other remote start (atleast a couple years ago - but with computrack, starting your car from your cell phone is pretty nice if your in a building and the remote start key phobe won't reach).
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Evader
Does anyone have one of these installed? If so, please provide the brand name/features etc. I have a viper 791XV installed in my '04 Envoy and besides making the mistake of having the morons at Princeton Best Buy install it I love it. I'm considering purchasing one for the TL but I have had many people at the dealership suggest not having one installed because of acura electrical system.

Suggestions/Comments?
any brand of remote starter will work but you'll for sure need an extra part to do the job it is called CAN-SL2 this part does the factory alarm, lock trunk, tach etc my compustar works great toke about 3hrs to do the install that also with window roll up by pulsing the rearm wire extra 3 seconds
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I actually install remote starters/alarm systems on the side, and here are the brands I recommend:
1) Compustar 2WSS-AR (alarm and remote starter)
2) Viper 791XV/DEI products (Directed Electronics makes Viper, Clifford, Python, etc)
3) Ultrastart (for ease of installation, NOT for features)

As appropriately mentioned, you need an immobilizer bypass module, and the CAN-SL2 is awesome (i've used this several times on Acuras). It just connects to a brown data wire, and from this module (Approx $100) you can tap into doorlocks/trunk popper/windows/tachometer/etc.

There are several other types of bypass modules (and data interface module combos) made .. go to www.bypasskits.com and the sky is the limit.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with installing a remote starter/aftermarket alarm in the TL. The Honda/Acura immobilizer bypasses used to be a bit finicky (a year ago or so) such that after installing the immobilizer bypass unit the Acura/Honda would then erase a code in the ECM and cause you to have to get your car towed to a dealership to re-flash the ECM. The CAN-SL2 has resolved this issue as have several other bypasskit modules. You'll be fine.

The Compustar 2WSS-R is a 1.6 mile (range), two paging system that uses 900mhz frequencies to initiate the remote start sequence. I find this to be FAR superior to the 433mhz systems used in less expensive units.

Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

oh, and key features you should look for in a r/s (remote-starter):
1) starter-kill/anti-grind --> so you don't grind the s**t outta your starter when getting in an already running car.
2) > 1.0 mile range and > 433mhz frequencies
3) two-way paging system
4) auxillary outputs ( > 2 is pretty good) --> for window roll-down modules/roll-up, defroster
with programmable latched or pulsed modes
5) external shock sensor (pluggable modules .. rather than having the shock sensor built into the r/s brain)

and for the record, I solder all my joints and feel that this is the ONLY way to install an alarm/remote starter -- anyone that uses T-taps or scotch taps is "ok" .. but they fail over time. As my buddies in the alarm business tell me all the time, the quality of a r/s-alarm system is only as good as its installation.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Let's Go Pens

Thanks for all the help. I think i'm going to go with the compustar, I especially like the Computrack feature. This will save me a some money on Lo-Jack and It will cover everything in a nice little package.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

Hello Evader,

Did you get your compustart installed yet? I'm thinking of getting mine done next Tuesday at Car Trenz in Alexandria. They are an authorized pro shop. www.cartrenz.com.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much it cost installed?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by 33scottie33
Hello Evader,

Did you get your compustart installed yet? I'm thinking of getting mine done next Tuesday at Car Trenz in Alexandria. They are an authorized pro shop. www.cartrenz.com.
Havn't gotten it installed yet. I'm actually up in Jersey and only make weekend trips down to virginia so I'll probably get it done up here at an authorized dealer. My car is in the body shop right now because of some stupid bitch who didn't yield so when I get back on on the road I'll give you some updates on my install
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Do you drive a auto or manual? I heard some horror stories of people getting them installed on a manual car.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Let's Go Pens

At
Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
4th Gear

I stopped by Car Trendz this morning and they told me $950 to install the P2WSSR. When I called last week, I was told $1000. I seem to always get a better price by coming in person.

I'm a little hesitant because they told me that I will not have the feature to automatically open or close the windows/sunroof from the FOB. And you can't unlock just one door, you have to unlock all of them. Other than that, it seems to be pretty good.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello all,

Just a little background on myself, been installing for many years (17 yrs), worked for high end car audio shops and currently the install trainer now for best buy.

there is nothing to be worried about installing a alarm/remote starter system in these cars, ive done plenty.

I've recently just ordered the clifford avantguard 5.1 with the smart windows and garage opener, i will post detailed pics and wiring info for this. (just wait till the weekend)
I know this is not a page-back unit, but, i don't care that much, i just want one of the best alarms for my car (this ones fully programmable through my laptop).

as for the bypass, i've chosen the ' i-datalink' module, this does the locks, trunk, immobilizer bypass and alarm bypass. This unit also does not require a key to be cut and has been reliable.

If anyone has any questions about wiring info, pm me. but, install will be up soon!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I actually install remote starters/alarm systems on the side, and here are the brands I recommend:
1) Compustar 2WSS-AR (alarm and remote starter)
2) Viper 791XV/DEI products (Directed Electronics makes Viper, Clifford, Python, etc)
3) Ultrastart (for ease of installation, NOT for features)

As appropriately mentioned, you need an immobilizer bypass module, and the CAN-SL2 is awesome (i've used this several times on Acuras). It just connects to a brown data wire, and from this module (Approx $100) you can tap into doorlocks/trunk popper/windows/tachometer/etc.

There are several other types of bypass modules (and data interface module combos) made .. go to www.bypasskits.com and the sky is the limit.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with installing a remote starter/aftermarket alarm in the TL. The Honda/Acura immobilizer bypasses used to be a bit finicky (a year ago or so) such that after installing the immobilizer bypass unit the Acura/Honda would then erase a code in the ECM and cause you to have to get your car towed to a dealership to re-flash the ECM. The CAN-SL2 has resolved this issue as have several other bypasskit modules. You'll be fine.

The Compustar 2WSS-R is a 1.6 mile (range), two paging system that uses 900mhz frequencies to initiate the remote start sequence. I find this to be FAR superior to the 433mhz systems used in less expensive units.

Best of luck.
hey where in Chicago I am looking for a remote start for my 07 type s i live around Midway
Old 12-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

In chicagoland you can go to bestbuy, circuit city .. I dont know of any smaller shops personally, but i'd post a new thread and ask the chicago peeps if they do...

Oh, and as far as liability is concerned, if you install the Computrak module on the Compustar and stop the engine and the thief is injured or killed, the OWNER of this vehicle is liable. This is called Anti-jacking mode, and I NEVER EVER NEVER install this feature. It's sad that this is the way the law works, but it is what it is.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

I stopped by Car Trendz this morning and they told me $950 to install the P2WSSR. When I called last week, I was told $1000. I seem to always get a better price by coming in person.

I'm a little hesitant because they told me that I will not have the feature to automatically open or close the windows/sunroof from the FOB. And you can't unlock just one door, you have to unlock all of them. Other than that, it seems to be pretty good.
LOL! One THOUSAND DOLLARS??#$@#

The unit itself is $250, the bypass is $30.00 and the CAN-SL2 is $45.00. They're charging a ton of money for the install -- even if they ARE soldering every wire joint (over the scotch/3M t-taps) .. it's not work $600 for installation.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Study

The unit itself is $250, the bypass is $30.00 and the CAN-SL2 is $45.00. They're charging a ton of money for the install -- even if they ARE soldering every wire joint (over the scotch/3M t-taps) .. it's not work $600 for installation.
What would be a good amount to spend for labor?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Pro

what price would u say that would be decent?? installed for the compustar?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

my friend installs them for 200 bux, nothern virginia region....
Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

no more than $200.00 for installation
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

Oh, and don't let the installer use voltage-sense either ... make sure he uses "tach-sense" when installing the remote starter....
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by XxAfG786xX
my friend installs them for 200 bux, nothern virginia region....
Pls provide his contact info. I work and live near NV and I would like to get mine installed through him.

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
2007 NBP TL

I just called a local shop (TWEETER), and they told me $900 as well for the P2WSSR....... Guy tells me that the TL is a huge hassle becasue of the circuitry and fiber optics that are incorporated in the car
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Instructor

After researching and not finding too much information, on remote starts in an '07 Type-S i decided to just go with the Remote Started i had my eye on. I got the Python 950 (2 way pager By DEI) installed last week. The price was $315 for the unit, $75 for the bypass (no key was lost), $165 for installation, coming to a total of about $585 including tax. It was a bit expensive, but it turned out awesome. Very nice to get off work and have a nice warm seat even in the middle of a Chicago winter!

For those in the area, i went to Abt Electronics in Glenview. Pretty much all of their mobile electronics people are knowledgable. And, they like to negotiate the prices...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Pro

damn... 585 for just the starter...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
7th Gear

How long do you think the install would take if I did it myself? Is it pretty straight forward?