'06 TL iSimple and HDRT

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
'06 TL iSimple and HDRT

Hi All, I recently purchased my 5A non-navi 06 Base TL from a local dealer. Let me just start off by saying the tips on this site are amazing and I'm very happy to be a part of the community (especially about the bass vibration in the trunk vents thread, going to fix that myself tonight or tomorrow hopefully to get rid of that rattle).

Anyway, I'm looking at doing the iSimple iPod install with the HDRT. I was looking on several sites and comparing prices but wanted to get your input before I start buying parts.

From what I've read on the boards here it looks like the iSimple is the best option for what I want in iPod functionality compared to the USA and other inputs. I took a look and found just the iSimple on Amazon for around $119 bucks, versus Best Buy which sells it for $139. I was going to check out a few of the car stereo chains around town and see if they had any deals as well.

After looking at a few videos of what the install will actually entail from another thread, if I decide to undertake this feat on my own, I came across www.autotoys.com which sells the Peripheral and the HDRT together for $199 + $15 off if I register on the site and use their coupon code. (http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...485#tabsanchor)

I was curious if anyone else has purchased Autotoys before and what their overall experience has been or if anyone had any experience also with the HDRT radio tuner at all in an 06 Non-navi. Thank you all in advance!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone??
Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Racer

I went ahead and took the plunge and bought both from Autotoys.com plus the Y cable to split the HD radio signal to the stock antenna (for 07-08 models you have to buy a different antenna).

I'm patiently waiting for the parts to arrive and will probably get quotes to have it professionally installed since viewing the videos of the installation. It appears that this install is definitely for an advanced user rather than a novice like myself. I'll update this post when all is said and done.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Racer

Well I got the Gateway installed at a local shop here in Missouri. The iSimple iPod integration works great but I think the shop botched the HD Radio install as I don't get any sound when I tune to it. I took it back yesterday and they said to call them tomorrow after work because they didn't want their sunday guy taking apart my car. Feeling a little uneasy about this shop now.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 AM
We Are Venom

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You're gonna be alright! Let them know that the outputs ie iPod cable or hd radio won't work unless they are plugged in before the car is powered on. Common but simple mistake. Sometimes it's good to save that $40 And sometimes to good to just pay someone to do it. Personally it's fun trying to DIY. It's all about confidence and patience! I changed my head gasket on my honda accord all from a service manual and some forums. I'm always worried about getting screwed over...
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good choice on the isimple ipod adapter, been using mine for 6 months now without any problems. i opted out for the HDRS, dont need for 3000+ songs on my ipod. the center console is a little tricky to come apart, but since a shop did it, if they break something they will replace it. gl