'04 Honda Accord 5.1 Surround Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
'04 Honda Accord 5.1 Surround Sound

I am trying to determine if the ELS 5.1 Surround Sound CD player will replace the one in my Accord with navigation. Anyone know? Basically, I'm trying to determine if the top silver box in the pictures below (the one with no plugs in the back), looking from the back, could replace the 6-CD changer in the Accord EX V6 with navigation. Eventually I would like to get surround sound in my Accord, center-channel speaker and all. I know I would need to get the amplifier from the TL in the kick panel, but that is down the road. Anyone have any pictures of the 6-CD changer of the Accord (with navigation) from the back?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-0...109267674QQrdZ1
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Think any of the 6-CD changers are interchangeable?

I just want the 6-CD changers to be interchangeable. It looks like the black circle FM antenna input to the right (looking from the back) of both units would fit, and the white plug would fit from both units. I don't know about the grey and black inputs. Anyone have a wiring diagram to the input of the 6-CD changer on the Acura TL?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the white one is for XM most likely as that is where the USA-SPEC connects for an aux jack. YOur project shoulds pretty complicated and would require alot of rewiring, farbrication and time. I doubt that the TL headunit and screen would fit into the space in the accord. Also you would need to figure out the wiring as the HU also handles inputs from the navi for audio, and Hands Free Link stuff for the phone. If you wanted to put the TL navi screen in there too, you would have to redo the HVA wring becuase the TL manages the HVAC thought the nav system screen circuits. I'd bet that the one from the TSX might fit, but it does not have 5.1.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by csmeance
the white one is for XM most likely as that is where the USA-SPEC connects for an aux jack. YOur project shoulds pretty complicated and would require alot of rewiring, farbrication and time. I doubt that the TL headunit and screen would fit into the space in the accord. Also you would need to figure out the wiring as the HU also handles inputs from the navi for audio, and Hands Free Link stuff for the phone. If you wanted to put the TL navi screen in there too, you would have to redo the HVA wring becuase the TL manages the HVAC thought the nav system screen circuits. I'd bet that the one from the TSX might fit, but it does not have 5.1.
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to swap screens.

I do not want to fit the screen from the TL into the Accord. The ONLY thing I would like to change out is the 6-CD changer from to TL to the Accord. The TL 6-CD changer/player has the DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound decoder built in, if I'm correct. That is the only box I need. I realize I might need the wiring from the TL amplifier to the 6-CD changer.

I just want to know if I can take off the TL 6-CD changer and reinstall it into the same spot as the Accord 6-CD changer, and what wires go where for the TL (so that I can wire it up into my Accord).
Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Bump.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Moderator

one question, do you want to replace the entire HU or just the internals of it so it still looks like a factory accord? One problem that i see right now is the demsinsions of the HU itself. If the deminsions are to large for the TL HU, then it would not fit. Besides just getting the HU, you would need to replace the accord amp with a TL amp, run new wires from the amp to the accord speakers if nessary and fabricate a center speaker. ALong with this, you probably will have to rbuy TL wiring harnesses to run from the HU tothe Amp becuase of the 5.1 vs 2 channel sound. One other problem thati can see arising is the way the audio screen interacts with the radio. If that doesnt work properly, the only way to control the HU would be only though it, so you couldn't use any of the touch screen features. This could cause problems as certain nformation such as CD number and track number would all be misdone. I think it would be better to leave it unless you have the budget, time, electrical knowledge and guts to try it. I mean no offense to you and am trying to help you out. Once more, not to be offensive, but for the price of fabbing this and doing everyting else, and trying to convert the accord over to a closer sibling of the TL, you could just spend a bit extra and get a used 2004-2006 TL. This would also give you a warrenty on everything and you would have piece of mind that everything is as it should be. this is just my for the matter.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to swap screens.

I do not want to fit the screen from the TL into the Accord. The ONLY thing I would like to change out is the 6-CD changer from to TL to the Accord. The TL 6-CD changer/player has the DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound decoder built in, if I'm correct. That is the only box I need. I realize I might need the wiring from the TL amplifier to the 6-CD changer.

I just want to know if I can take off the TL 6-CD changer and reinstall it into the same spot as the Accord 6-CD changer, and what wires go where for the TL (so that I can wire it up into my Accord).
For the electrical diagrams, yo may want to PM RON A as he has the service book, he might be able to scan and send them to you. If you can get the deminisons for the accord changer, i can try to get some for the TL's to help you out
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
we have an amp in our kick panels?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by pnoi521
we have an amp in our kick panels?

Passenger side.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

one question, do you want to replace the entire HU or just the internals of it so it still looks like a factory accord? One problem that i see right now is the demsinsions of the HU itself. If the deminsions are to large for the TL HU, then it would not fit. Besides just getting the HU, you would need to replace the accord amp with a TL amp, run new wires from the amp to the accord speakers if nessary and fabricate a center speaker. ALong with this, you probably will have to rbuy TL wiring harnesses to run from the HU tothe Amp becuase of the 5.1 vs 2 channel sound. One other problem thati can see arising is the way the audio screen interacts with the radio. If that doesnt work properly, the only way to control the HU would be only though it, so you couldn't use any of the touch screen features. This could cause problems as certain nformation such as CD number and track number would all be misdone. I think it would be better to leave it unless you have the budget, time, electrical knowledge and guts to try it. I mean no offense to you and am trying to help you out. Once more, not to be offensive, but for the price of fabbing this and doing everyting else, and trying to convert the accord over to a closer sibling of the TL, you could just spend a bit extra and get a used 2004-2006 TL. This would also give you a warrenty on everything and you would have piece of mind that everything is as it should be. this is just my for the matter.
Thanks man. I may scout around for a wrecked TL here in the next couple of days. I may be able to find the ELS DVD-A player, wires from the HU to the amp, and an amp for pretty cheap. I would not need to wire up new speaker wires because they are already routed. I would need to fabricate a new center channel speaker. I will pull my HU this weekend and take measurements and pictures. I hope this works!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks man. I may scout around for a wrecked TL here in the next couple of days. I may be able to find the ELS DVD-A player, wires from the HU to the amp, and an amp for pretty cheap. I would not need to wire up new speaker wires because they are already routed. I would need to fabricate a new center channel speaker. I will pull my HU this weekend and take measurements and pictures. I hope this works!
while you measure the HU, take some closer up high res shot with the camera so it will be easier to cmpare the pin diagrams for the ELS player in the future. Also you never answered my question, are you just going to pull out the internals and stick them into the accord faceplate or put in the Entire TL unit with the acura faceplate?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

while you measure the HU, take some closer up high res shot with the camera so it will be easier to cmpare the pin diagrams for the ELS player in the future. Also you never answered my question, are you just going to pull out the internals and stick them into the accord faceplate or put in the Entire TL unit with the acura faceplate?
Sorry. Yes, I would just like to replace the internals. Now that I start to really think about this, I may just get the JVC KD-AVX33. It has Bluetooth, DD/DTS 5.1 Surround Sound and Pro-Logic II decoding, along with DVD-A capability. I can still use the steering wheel controls with an adapter. I can get an installer to retain the nav voice, and the only things I would lose are the factory XM capability and the in dash 6-CD changer.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Sorry. Yes, I would just like to replace the internals. Now that I start to really think about this, I may just get the JVC KD-AVX33. It has Bluetooth, DD/DTS 5.1 Surround Sound and Pro-Logic II decoding, along with DVD-A capability. I can still use the steering wheel controls with an adapter. I can get an installer to retain the nav voice, and the only things I would lose are the factory XM capability and the in dash 6-CD changer.
like I said before, you would spend what, 1k on the install? IMO, you could spend 2-3K and get a used TL and trade in your accord. THis would give you everything you want from the factory with a warrenty, look stock and have a blast. this is just my
Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

like I said before, you would spend what, 1k on the install? IMO, you could spend 2-3K and get a used TL and trade in your accord. THis would give you everything you want from the factory with a warrenty, look stock and have a blast. this is just my
No way. I don't want to spend more than $500 for everything, including the HU, and center channel. I can get great deals on them and be able to have most of the things the TL has, without the memory seats.

Not only that, but my Accord will be paid off 36 months ahead of time this December, and I don't want another car loan with a little one on the way. Thanks for the advice though.

If I did get this HU, I would install it in the center cubby hole under the radio. I would use it as a display only. The video output would go to my AVElectronic unit in the trunk (which already has a rear-view camera). I would just hook up my four speakers (plus subwoofer) that I have now, and get an Eclipse center channel speaker (or Pioneer center channel and place it below the radio). I could salvage the steering wheel controls with an adapter, and I could have the navigation voice place on the center channel speaker, like the TL.

On top of all this, I could have Dolby Pro-Logic II, which would decode stereo sources like the RL does. I'm still thinking about this.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I've decided to bump my own thread.

Anyone have any more information on this? I basically just want to replace the CD player box from the Accord with the DVD-A player box from the TL. Would the DVD-A player fit in the same space as the CD changer from my Accord?

Yes I know I would need to change the factory amp and add a center channel.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

So I have the wiring diagram for the 2004 Accord and TL. Apparently, the Accord does not have a separate amplifier. If it does, I could not find it in the passenger-side kick panel like the TL. It might be in the trunk, but the wiring diagram indicates that there might not be a separate amplifier. I did not see one in the wiring diagram. That means that the head unit amplifies the signal in the audio unit itself.

Now if the Accord did not have a separate amplifier, and the TL did, how would I connect the speaker outputs from the Accord to the TL speaker inputs from the TL amplifier?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

So I have the wiring diagram for the 2004 Accord and TL. Apparently, the Accord does not have a separate amplifier. If it does, I could not find it in the passenger-side kick panel like the TL. It might be in the trunk, but the wiring diagram indicates that there might not be a separate amplifier. I did not see one in the wiring diagram. That means that the head unit amplifies the signal in the audio unit itself.

Now if the Accord did not have a separate amplifier, and the TL did, how would I connect the speaker outputs from the Accord to the TL speaker inputs from the TL amplifier?
You would either have to make custom harnesses and get past all the muting and other crap for the HFL, OR you can just take the audio output from the TL/Accord unit, Amp it with an aftermarket one and send the signal to the speakers.

The biggest problem you have is having the navi interface with the radio since the accord has a different .bin file for the HVAC and other stuff that is not on the TL's file. If you have the diagrams, can you send them over to me so I can take a peek at it and see if the navi might be able to interface via the pins?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

You would either have to make custom harnesses and get past all the muting and other crap for the HFL, OR you can just take the audio output from the TL/Accord unit, Amp it with an aftermarket one and send the signal to the speakers.

The biggest problem you have is having the navi interface with the radio since the accord has a different .bin file for the HVAC and other stuff that is not on the TL's file. If you have the diagrams, can you send them over to me so I can take a peek at it and see if the navi might be able to interface via the pins?
I'm thinking this project will be either very easy or very hard, depending on what we find out.

I have yet to find a 6 DVD-A changer that I can fit check into the Accord.

I don't want to install HFL, the screen, or anything like that. Just the DVD-A changer from the TL into my Accord.

I found the TL audio diagram here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...wiring+diagram

The TL I knew had a separate amplifier, but I now doubt the Accord does. I think the speaker wires go directly from the head unit (audio unit) to the speakers.

I don't think the 6 DVD-A changer will affect the navigation voice or anything like that, right?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I found the TL audio diagram here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...wiring+diagram

I found the Accord wiring diagram here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5592

Apparently the Accord does not have a dedicated amplifier.

I have studied both drawings, and since the 6 DVD-A changer from the TL needs a dedicated amplifier, so would I. I would either need the TL amplifier or a amplifier with speaker level inputs. I don't know if it would be possible, or even if it would blow the speakers if I hooked up the speaker wires from the DVD-A changer to the TL amplifier since the Accord's head unit already had the amplifier built in. It makes me wonder where the Accord's amplifier is, and if it's built into the 6CD changer from the Accord.

Here is the pinout that I have been able to determine from the above links:

.....TL.............................................Accord
.....Audio Unit.............................................. .Accord Wires
LR+...White A6--------------->Amp-------------->A6 (Blue/White)
LR-...Yellow A16------------->Amp-------------->A16 (Blue/Black)
RR+...Orange A5------------->Amp-------------->A5 (Pink)
RR-...Red A15--------------->Amp-------------->A15 (Blue/Yellow)
LF+...Black A8--------------->Amp-------------->A8 (Green Yellow)
LF-...Blue A18--------------->Amp-------------->A18 (Light Green)
RF+...Black A7--------------->Amp-------------->A7 (Green/Yellow)
RF-...Grey A17-------------->Amp-------------->A17 (Grey)
Brown C1
Green/White C14
Red/Blue C2
White/Green C15

Here is how the above scenario could work.

If, and this is a big if, the TL 6 DVD-A changer did fit into the Accord, the White A6 wire (LR+) would be connected to an amp, and then be connected to the Blue/White wire already connected to the positive input of the left rear speaker. The yellow LR- A16 pinout from the TL DVD-A chnager would connect to the amp, and then to the A16 Blue/Black wire connected to the left rear negative lead. The rest of the speakers follow in the same suit, and this would minimize rewiring the entire car.

As for the center and SW channels, I would need to buy a dedicated center channel and wire that downline of an amplifier (i.e. from the DVD-A changer to the amp to the center speaker). Same thing with the subwoofer, but I already have an amp for the sub. I would just need to hook the sub wires to the speaker-level inputs from the sub outputs from the DVD-A changer once I replace the 6CD changer from the Accord.

Coming from the TL audio unit (DVD-A changer):

Pin C1 is the yellow/green wire that is SYS ON and pin C11 is the red/yellow wire that is the AMPLIFIER ON. Pin A10 is the white wire that is CONSTANT POWER, and pin A2 yellow/red wire that is ACC. Pin A4 is the SECURITY INPUT. Pin A1 is the yellow/green wire going to RADIO SWITCHED POWER. FInally, pin A9 is the LIGHTS-ON SIGNAL.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I just checked all the pinouts from the Accord audio unit, and the A connector from the Accord's audio unit is exactly the same as the TL's audio unit output to the amplifier, the black connector from the back of the TL audio unit (besides having a couple of different color wires).
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OK, so I need help. The green connector in the pic above. Does anyone have a diagram for that connector and where the wires go to?

I think if I figure out those wires, I can finally solve this thing.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Sorry^^^ I meant the bottom left green connector. I have no idea where they go to.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, so I need help. The green connector in the pic above. Does anyone have a diagram for that connector and where the wires go to?

I think if I figure out those wires, I can finally solve this thing.
green usually means navi connection, and in the hondaworld link there are wires that do in fact go to the navi. BUT there is one problem we didn't think about. If we swap the internals, then how are you going to enter in a security code when the TL's code can only be entered via the 1-6 presets?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

green usually means navi connection, and in the hondaworld link there are wires that do in fact go to the navi. BUT there is one problem we didn't think about. If we swap the internals, then how are you going to enter in a security code when the TL's code can only be entered via the 1-6 presets?
I didn't think the DVD-A chnager had the security code built into the player, i.e. we could just swap internals. I thought it was built into another portion of the unit or something.

If that's true, then I'd have to find a DVD-A changer from a navi unit. Like I said though, I thought that the DVD-A changer was the same across ALL TLs.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I didn't think the DVD-A chnager had the security code built into the player, i.e. we could just swap internals. I thought it was built into another portion of the unit or something.

If that's true, then I'd have to find a DVD-A changer from a navi unit. Like I said though, I thought that the DVD-A changer was the same across ALL TLs.
the internals are the same, the issue is that the TL's internals read, decode, and play the CD, as well it will have the security code built in. the front of the TL's radio has the 1-6 buttons, navi or non-navi. The security code needs to be entered from these buttons and not the navi.

I'm still figuring out the diagrams and seeing if it can work
Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

the internals are the same, the issue is that the TL's internals read, decode, and play the CD, as well it will have the security code built in. the front of the TL's radio has the 1-6 buttons, navi or non-navi. The security code needs to be entered from these buttons and not the navi.

I'm still figuring out the diagrams and seeing if it can work
So whether or not the TL had navi or not, the security code was entered through these 1 through 6 buttons instead? That's weird.

Thanks for looking at this for me man.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OK, so I've had it in trying to integrate the TL DVD-A changer into my Accord. I just bought the Sony MEX-DV2200 for $145 shipped, and it has Doly Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital, and DTS built into the unit without an external decoder. Oh, and it plays SACDs and DVDs too.

Now the only problem I will have is trying to modify my dash above my navi sub-display to accept either a 3.5" or 4" speaker. I noticed there is nothing but plastic there anyways.

I already have an Alpine 275W amp for my sub, I'm wondering if I can just tie into that for the center channel too.

Two other questions: Can I retain the use of steering wheel controls with the Sony MEX-DV2200, and can I somehow still use the stock XM unit with the new headunit?

Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
very nice
Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
very nice
Thank you. I hacked up my center dash above the navi sub-display pretty bad, and was able to coax a 5.25" center channel speaker in the car. I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I'll post pics of the project once I'm done.

I can't wait to hear what you all have been hearing for years!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Here is a wiring diagram I made for the Sony MEX-DV2000 to 2004 Accord EX V6 with navi:

Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think trying to put DVD-A into a car would be worth the trouble. Not that many discs out there for DVD-A and the ones which ARE I've been disappointed in. Your normal car audio stuff you won't hear anything significant out of your center channel anyways.

I personally don't care to try to find DVD-As anymore as my experience with them left me wanting more.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
How's the project coming along?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
How's the project coming along?
I hacked away some of my upper dash above my navi sub-display to accept a 5.25" speaker. I had to Dremel out some underlying plastic. I will post pics tomorrow or Wednesday once I get the headunit installed, and up and running.

The speaker is installed though. I ran speaker wire from that speaker to underneath the front passenger seat (where the center channel amp is going), and also ran an RCA cable from the center dash to go from the preamp signal from the new Sony headunit to the center channel amp.

I also installed another remote amp turnon wire, power wire, and ground to another pre-existing amp under the front driver's seat. Having the existing amp there made things very eays to install another amp.

I am bidding on a center channel amp (~120 watts max bridged, though I'm not going to bridge the center channel) right now on eBay, and it ends tonight at about 10PM. I hope to get that amp by this weekend. I just have to hook it up since I already prewired it.

I get the headunit tomorrow and will be installing it once I get it. I hope I have the right wiring information above!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Used a Sony MEX-DV2000 head unit. I love the sound now.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

that looks awesome! If you need any help detailing you vehicle this weekend hit me up!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

that looks awesome! If you need any help detailing you vehicle this weekend hit me up!
Are you going to be in Jacksonville this weekend for the Cars and Coffee meet?

Coincidentally, I just put my CF hood back on the car, after wet-sanding it, polishing it, and buffing it, but there are still some spider scratches on it. I'm not sure I can even get those out... I have used Scratch-X and Color-X, and they get some of the marks out, not all of them though.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Wish I can see pics at work...... But sounds like it's coming along well. You'll have to show and demo it for me.....
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Wish I can see pics at work...... But sounds like it's coming along well. You'll have to show and demo it for me.....
Are you working on Friday?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Are you working on Friday?
Nope, but my grandkids are still in town and I have to travel to Orlando Friday to pick up my daughter. My up window module is coming in this week also. So we have some projects, don't we?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Nope, but my grandkids are still in town and I have to travel to Orlando Friday to pick up my daughter. My up window module is coming in this week also. So we have some projects, don't we?
Yes we do. We'll have to get together next weekend to work on them.

Quick Reply: '04 Honda Accord 5.1 Surround Sound