'04-05 Dash disassembly pics w/ NAvi

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '04-05 Dash disassembly pics w/ NAvi

Ok guys Ive had the TL 5 days and i hate the stock audio system already. I guess this comes from owning a car audio/aftermart shop for years. Anyway today i tore the car into pieces to get an idea of what could be changed without adverse effects to the Navi/voice commands. I have a Clairon Touchscreen DVD/cd/fm/xm/7"flipout i removed from my previous ride before tradein but decided to buy the Navi model so i wont be adding that to the TL. Instead I will find the optimal way to get he car louder without sacrifice to SQ or adding any noise. This will be a project I cover over the next week. For those of you who are interested feel free to question me and I'll explain how to make ur ideas work and why they might or might now be good ideas. I have been in the competition circuit for about 7 years now off an on. You can find my winnings on sites such as Iasca,DBdrag,and Meca. Yes I know most of you on this forum are not into SPL and this car wont be SPL, It will be SQ but with heavier bass for my personal taste when i want it. All Components will be Crossfire with the exception of the TL's Panasonic 6disc Dvd/Navi headunit. I'm not fond of low level converters and use them as a last resort, I will see what the signal level feeding the 5.1 amp in the car is and find the best device to take care of the signal feed to the aftermarket amps with the least loss. I think many others will agree that the TL's system is among the cleanest of factory systems but it lacks any real balls to turn up and enjoy the sound. If the voltage coming into the factory amp is too high to use as low level imput to amps I will build a module to solder into the factory radio to give us clean sound. I will also be looking into the best way to feed the Composite Video into the NAv screen RGB without wasting 500 bux. Hopefully one of my suppliers has a Tuner that can be easily cheaply modifed. Anyway stay tuned for updates and questions are welcome. As for what i discovered today during disassembly of the dash I will be using the A/C vents for tweeters in the front and it shouldnt effect the operation of the climate control much ..I never hear the fan kick on full speed and I live in FL. Factory look will be maintained in all my ideas as much as possible which will help those of you who lease or just dont want the gaudy aftermarket look. I will get the pics posted tomorrow if possible, Thx guys!!

Also the Navi voice only comes from the center channel speaker so that wont be altered or amplified if that concerns you.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Since you're mainly talking about how to improve your Aduio, I'll place your thread in Audio sub-Forum for now.

I'd like to see more pics or details from you, too. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Audio Upgrade for 04 TL

I want to have installed an Alpine head unit, CD changer, ADS speakers, bass unit and two ADS PQ 20 amps. Is the stock radio part of the AC unit above? I did not get the Navigation System, but assume this will disable the Bluetooth function. There are no kits for the install, so I guess it will have to be prefabed. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.
Originally Posted by HacKoWeLL
Ok guys Ive had the TL 5 days and i hate the stock audio system already. I guess this comes from owning a car audio/aftermart shop for years. Anyway today i tore the car into pieces to get an idea of what could be changed without adverse effects to the Navi/voice commands. I have a Clairon Touchscreen DVD/cd/fm/xm/7"flipout i removed from my previous ride before tradein but decided to buy the Navi model so i wont be adding that to the TL. Instead I will find the optimal way to get he car louder without sacrifice to SQ or adding any noise. This will be a project I cover over the next week. For those of you who are interested feel free to question me and I'll explain how to make ur ideas work and why they might or might now be good ideas. I have been in the competition circuit for about 7 years now off an on. You can find my winnings on sites such as Iasca,DBdrag,and Meca. Yes I know most of you on this forum are not into SPL and this car wont be SPL, It will be SQ but with heavier bass for my personal taste when i want it. All Components will be Crossfire with the exception of the TL's Panasonic 6disc Dvd/Navi headunit. I'm not fond of low level converters and use them as a last resort, I will see what the signal level feeding the 5.1 amp in the car is and find the best device to take care of the signal feed to the aftermarket amps with the least loss. I think many others will agree that the TL's system is among the cleanest of factory systems but it lacks any real balls to turn up and enjoy the sound. If the voltage coming into the factory amp is too high to use as low level imput to amps I will build a module to solder into the factory radio to give us clean sound. I will also be looking into the best way to feed the Composite Video into the NAv screen RGB without wasting 500 bux. Hopefully one of my suppliers has a Tuner that can be easily cheaply modifed. Anyway stay tuned for updates and questions are welcome. As for what i discovered today during disassembly of the dash I will be using the A/C vents for tweeters in the front and it shouldnt effect the operation of the climate control much ..I never hear the fan kick on full speed and I live in FL. Factory look will be maintained in all my ideas as much as possible which will help those of you who lease or just dont want the gaudy aftermarket look. I will get the pics posted tomorrow if possible, Thx guys!!

Also the Navi voice only comes from the center channel speaker so that wont be altered or amplified if that concerns you.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HacKoWeLL

I'm plannin to something like you but I find the stock HU lacking in some areas. So far I already have a JL 12w6v2 and JL 500/1 installed. Next plans are components up front, and probably coax in the back. I plan to run a JL 300/4 for those speakers and probably leave the center speaker alone. Last piece I want to install is the EQS 6 channel eq to clean up the sound.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

ok trying to get the server up to post pics..my ISP switched setting on me and I have to get one of those forwarding proggies that I hte so much to get my website back up. They eat my resources more then I like. Anyways I'll have the pics up soon and prolly have all the install pics by them also. Still working out some minor bugs with the factory setup. As for climate control im not sure on non navi models but ill check into and yes u will need custom fiberglass for the dashkit. The radio and dvd changer are totally seperate units if that helps, actually identical on navi/non navi models, U can unbolt them without adverse effects. As far as the sound quality issue brought up, I hate going from a clarion touchscreen with built in EQ/DSP also. However given the quality of the Panasonic headunit in the TL it should be close to par with the panasonic touchscreen units i have sold for vehicles. They are great SQ although lacking in the add on department. Im using a Crossfire CX3.2 8volt preamp/crossover/parametric EQ for my sound adjustments to fix that. That will give me a direct volume adjustable selectable input into my amps for the Navi-to -Video part. No need for crappy FM mods of loss of XM. I can switch from Audio/Video with a simple flick of a switch,and also adjust fader and subwoofer volume. It has a Isolated DC-DC powersupply so no noise or engine whine. I have 2 Crossfire VR600d's and 1 VR2000D that i will pick from for the Bass and a VR804 for the highs/mids. Also I have a Power Meter Distribution Panel that tells me Volts/Amps/Watts and faulty circuit detect for 12V DC power input at the trunk, I will feed the extra Gel-cell battery into it also thru the fused input. 2 or 3 of the Crossfire BMF12d subs I have will feed the Bass needs and SQ6.0 components will take care of the mids while 6 neo tweets will take care of highs in the A/C vents. By the way.. I dont hink anyone in here would risk putting a lead-acid battery in the trunk, but Ive seen it so many times i wanted to warn everyone, not only will the fumes/acid rust ur car and eat thru trunkliner...but the GASES are DEADLY and eat away at yoyr respiratory system !!! Only install Gel-mat type battereies approved for such installations in your trunk. Anyway thanks for listening ..Ill update later in the week
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

you can try a site like www.imageshack.us
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Cruisin'

Cool

after I read that it looked different then i meant..the radio/dvdchanger are seperate units from the A/C,Heater in response to the forementioned question. Sorry
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are the pics?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Cruisin'

finally pics

[IMG][IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Hackowell\Desktop\TL-pics\dash1[/IMG}[/IMG]
Old 03-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what ever happened to the updates
Old 03-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

After Countless Tries To Host I Figured It Out

HERE ARE THE PICS SO FAR..ALSO SOME PICS OF MY S-10 ON BAGS AND MY TAHOE I JUST TRADED FOR THE ACURA. SO SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG..MORE TO COME

I SUGGEST THIS TO ANYONE FOR IMAGE HOSTING
http://spaces.msn.com/members/hackowell/
http://spaces.msn.com/members/hackowell/
Old 03-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Sicckkk Ride!!

That's a CLEAN TL bro

Nice wheels.... what are you sittin' on?...
Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Sicckkk Ride!!

That's a CLEAN TL bro

Nice wheels.... what are you sittin' on?...
Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Cruisin'

THE WHEELS ARE MADE BY ZORA 20X8.5 WITH 35MM OFFSET. TIRES ARE NITTO 555 SERIES 225/35 ZR20. IVE HAD PIRELLI PZERO/SUMITUMO/TOYO PROXI'S ON PREVIOUS WHEELS AND THESE HAVE THE BEST TRACTION/WEAR/NOISE RATIO IMO, PLUS I LIKE THE RIM PROTECTOR ON THE SIDEWALL. ALSO THEY MAKE THE 225/445/20 SO I CAN DROP IT 1.5 INCHS WITH NO RUB(I HOPE). IM SURE ITWS WAY TO LITTLE SIDEWALL FOR MOST OF YOU BUT THE CAR RIDES MUCH BETTER TO ME AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA WITH NICE ROADS...LONG LIVE THE SUNSHINE!!

ZORA WHEELS
NITTO TIRES

Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 PM
10th Gear

Forget the wheels, who is the blonde?!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
100k miles club

wow you spent the whole taking it apart. one of the pics says 12:38am lol

nice pics, didn't know there were tweeters in the back
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Cruisin'

The blonde is the alternate driver, or wife. I'm not sure of exact times for disassembly but it was on different days and yes the last day was a 4am nite. I ran all the wiring for the soon to be install that nite, 4gauge power/ground, 3 sets of twisted pair low noise RCA, 1 set of Video cables, 4 speaker wires for the front and 6 low current 12volt wires for future devices or relays. I run the power/signal on different sides for noise reasons and didnt want to pull it apart again to run one extra wire i might need later. The Dash pics were basically just so i could understand the system design and implications and to get ideas on how I would add to it without adverse effects. Be really carefull on the center console side pieces as the tabs are easy to break because they pull out and up at the same time. The subwoofer box I built for the time being has a port that butts directly up to the rear seat hole and also a port that goes up to where the stock sub was. To accomplish this u can buy 4" pvc and a rain gutter adapter from Lowe's etc and liquid nail/screw the square end into the box and the 4" pvc is cut to length and slips in from the top with the rear deck removed. For less bass close the seat..for more open it. This is assuming u have a center chamber thats tuned for the subs to fire into, dont just do this on a sealed box, it will sound like shit:P. Mine is 1.06ft^3 for each sub and 1.22ft^3 for the center chamber tuned to 34hz -3db. No trunk rattle at all because ALL the bass is ported into the cab..but you will need some dynamat for the rear deck.