~~~Creating 5.1 DVD-A with iMac ~~~

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow ~~~Creating 5.1 DVD-A with iMac ~~~

K, first off please read the whole thing before posting the link from "Rimz" and his guide because most those links are down and that software doesn't work on Leopard. Also, this isn't a question on how to convert Mp3's to wav and put on DVD's, uh uh, don't want that crap either.

I used to have a PC up until a short while ago and used Cirlinca Audio Solo and DVD Extractor to make my own "5.1" DVD-A's by pulling them off purchased music dvd's (of course all 5.1 and/or DTS). It was a breeze and have about 19 discs I have made.

But, now I have this iMac and not only does DVD Extractor no run on this neither does DVD Audio Solo. So, here's the question and I have paged through several and several threads on how to make them using PC's and making Mp3's to wav onto DVD. Has anyone discovered a Mac solution to this?

Again, I just want to rip the 5.1 audio off a music DVD and make my own DVD Audio discs once again.

Thanks for readin'
Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Hit up bmode via PM (I don't think he gets over here much; posts mostly in 4G TL), he might know.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Hit up bmode via PM (I don't think he gets over here much; posts mostly in 4G TL), he might know.
Thanks Bear, I tried searching him but couldn't find him through the members directory.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Never mind, found him but he doesn't take PM's lol
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by GTA_TLS
Never mind, found him but he doesn't take PM's lol

Maybe he'll turn up.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Instructor

not into MAC, but here is something that might interest you.

How to burn dvd-a on a mac
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the PM Bearcat, sorry GTA_TLS for the delayed response, been a little busy and didn't notice the PM from BC.

Currently I have NOT found a simple way to extract 5.1 DVD-audio and then turn it back into DVD-audio on a Mac. I looked into to this for a little while then lost interest as other projects came along. I haven't completely given up though, here is a link to possible extraction software, but I haven't followed up on it and don't know much about it.

http://www.dvd-ipod.biz/howto/copy-r...r-mac-osx.html

I'll check back on this thread and try to contribute to this task, as I'd like to be able to do this as well. I'll hit Rimz up to see if he has made an attempt at DVD-audio and keeping it 5.1 for our Acura's.

By the way, I'm running Leopard too and DVD-audiofile 0.74 does work, along with Titantium Toast and Audacity for 2-channel formats to DVD-A, but I realize that you want to maintain the 5.1 surround mix, so do I. So, we'll work on it! B.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Originally Posted by fade2blk
not into MAC, but here is something that might interest you.

How to burn dvd-a on a mac
Thanks fade2blk, not sure if it's do the 5.1/DTS but will keep it bookmarked for now.

Originally Posted by bmode
Thanks for the PM Bearcat, sorry GTA_TLS for the delayed response, been a little busy and didn't notice the PM from BC.

Currently I have NOT found a simple way to extract 5.1 DVD-audio and then turn it back into DVD-audio on a Mac. I looked into to this for a little while then lost interest as other projects came along. I haven't completely given up though, here is a link to possible extraction software, but I haven't followed up on it and don't know much about it.

http://www.dvd-ipod.biz/howto/copy-r...r-mac-osx.html

I'll check back on this thread and try to contribute to this task, as I'd like to be able to do this as well. I'll hit Rimz up to see if he has made an attempt at DVD-audio and keeping it 5.1 for our Acura's.

By the way, I'm running Leopard too and DVD-audiofile 0.74 does work, along with Titantium Toast and Audacity for 2-channel formats to DVD-A, but I realize that you want to maintain the 5.1 surround mix, so do I. So, we'll work on it! B.
Ya I should've mentioned that RIM's program wouldn't do the 5.1 but glad you knew what I meant. There's just no comparing the sound and especially a few that I have made that were DTS with the PC I had.

Appreciate you looking into it though and I'll keep poking through the web on my end too.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Ok did not see the ripping part.

found this app and it's free. http://handbrake.fr/
perhaps this is what you are looking for?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Negative on handbrake, it won't do what we're trying to accomplish. That's more for DVD extraction not DVD-audio, at least on the Mac side of things.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Late last night, I used Mactheripper to successfully get the AC3 file from the demo DVD-audio from my TL, and it works fine, and I can play that AC-3 file using VLC player, but now I have to get that AC-3 file back to a DVD-Audio disc, and that's were I'm stumped as the DVD-Audio discs that I make use the FLAC format which is high quality two channel stereo, and then at that point I use DVD-Audiofile to make the ISO file to burn to DVD-Audio but that's not what we want.

I tried Soundtrack Pro, Waveburner, Audacity, Sound Studio and Quicktime but no luck yet. I'm gonna try Logic Pro today as that is a 5.1 surround application, but the real question is what will parse the AC-3 format, so I'll report back. B.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Negative on handbrake, it won't do what we're trying to accomplish. That's more for DVD extraction not DVD-audio, at least on the Mac side of things.
it looked like it can, oh well I am not into mac's. at least I tried...

but on the other hand sure would be nice to know what app can do that...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here's another possibility for you GTA_TLS, since you have a Mac running Leopard, set up BootCamp via XP or Vista. I'm using XP with my Bootcamp so I can still use PC applications. This would enable you to use the old PC software that you previously used to make the DVD-Audio discs? At least until we find a solution on the Mac side.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ i agree with this dude.. thats what i do ... i have macbook pro and I have install xp via boot camp and it works great...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks dude. The only thing to do now is find a PC application that will now Parse the DVD-audio disc then turn it back into a 5.1 DVD-audio disc without losing quality.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Advanced

If I understand what you're trying to do (I might not), and you can run boot camp, I think Solo 2.0 will work.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=solo
Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just saw that post, I just hope that everyone understands that just because you have a program that makes DVD-audio discs doesn't mean you have a true 5.1 surround sound DVD-audio disc. I do 2-channel dvd-audio discs all day, so I'll check out that app to see if it maintains the 5.1 AC3 format when extracting then burning back.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by darcar
If I understand what you're trying to do (I might not), and you can run boot camp, I think Solo 2.0 will work.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=solo
I just saw that post, I just hope that everyone understands that just because you have a program that makes DVD-audio discs doesn't mean you have a true 5.1 surround sound DVD-audio disc. I do 2-channel dvd-audio discs all day, so I'll check out that app to see if it maintains the 5.1 AC3 format when extracting then burning back.

They are looking for a way to extract commercial 5.1 and re-author it to DVD-A.

The re-authoring is (relatively) easy. Finding and extraction and/or conversion tool is the hard part.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Here's another possibility for you GTA_TLS, since you have a Mac running Leopard, set up BootCamp via XP or Vista. I'm using XP with my Bootcamp so I can still use PC applications. This would enable you to use the old PC software that you previously used to make the DVD-Audio discs? At least until we find a solution on the Mac side.

Oh trust me, even if I had an XP disc or Vista this thread wouldn't be here lol. I even googled for a good pirate copy then checked Windows website for any trial OS but they don't offer it.
Appreciate your hard work bmode

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
They are looking for a way to extract commercial 5.1 and re-author it to DVD-A.

The re-authoring is (relatively) easy. Finding and extraction and/or conversion tool is the hard part.

For MAC OS.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh snap, so you don't have a valid copy of XP or Vista, that sh** should be free, ya know? So what's the app on the PC side, because I'm running XP via Bootcamp and I'd like to give it a whirl? Is it still available for download, purchase or not? I don't mind which platform makes the DVD-A, as long as the quality is good!

I was looking into Sonic and their software last night, pricey bastards, and after all my reading not one piece of software they offer does what we want it to do? Like Bearcat said, a piece of software may be able to extract, but maybe not hack the encryption that may accompany the audio. This just bites if you ask me! Commercial CD's we buy allows us to make favorites CD's, why not DVD-A's? Buggah.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Oh snap, so you don't have a valid copy of XP or Vista, that sh** should be free, ya know? So what's the app on the PC side, because I'm running XP via Bootcamp and I'd like to give it a whirl? Is it still available for download, purchase or not? I don't mind which platform makes the DVD-A, as long as the quality is good!

I was looking into Sonic and their software last night, pricey bastards, and after all my reading not one piece of software they offer does what we want it to do? Like Bearcat said, a piece of software may be able to extract, but maybe not hack the encryption that may accompany the audio. This just bites if you ask me! Commercial CD's we buy allows us to make favorites CD's, why not DVD-A's? Buggah.

All you need is DVD Extractor and Cirlinca's DVD Audio Solo and your set. That's what I was using until my iMac
Oh, and any purchased Music DVD you have/get. Just try to get the ones that are 5.1 or DTS., then burn me some copies and mail them to me

DVD Extractor-> http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

DVD Solo-> http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm

Makes 5.1 and "DTS" discs......for PC.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I downloaded the trial demo's, and I couldn't get the TL Demo tracks extracted? Must be the encryption. So I'm gonna extract them on the Mac to AC3, then take those back into Cirlina and see if it works? This sucks! LOL.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

I downloaded the trial demo's, and I couldn't get the TL Demo tracks extracted? Must be the encryption. So I'm gonna extract them on the Mac to AC3, then take those back into Cirlina and see if it works? This sucks! LOL.
Um, why would you wanna pull the tracks off the demo as it'll already play in the car? lol. I know, you were testing it out but don't think it'll work like that or you didn't read the instructions.

The program is for getting tracks off of music dvds and such so you can create a DVD-A. It takes the audio portion off in whatever format you suggest them from there slap it into Solo and burn. Fack, you're going to make me go buy a Windows OS soon if we keep on the PC side of things.

Now focus, MAC ONLY
Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

You have a windoze thing already, just buy and piece of shite windoze OS and use Bootcamp!

Please don't use the term music DVD's as that's misleading in our search for clarity! LOL. Say DVD-A. Music DVD is a completely different animal. As for extracting the TL DVD-A demo disc, since we can only put in one piece of media in the player now (4G's), I'd like to compile a bunch of DVD-A files and lose the ones I don't like, plus bring in a few from other DVD-A's that I own. Capesh?

I did read the instructions, but the encryption is the issue at this time for ME. I just hate Windblows anything, it's so retarded and the GUI's on every app suck!

Last edited by bmode; 04-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

You have a windoze thing already, just buy and piece of shite windoze OS and use Bootcamp!

Please don't use the term music DVD's as that's misleading in our search for clarity! LOL. Say DVD-A. Music DVD is a completely different animal. As for extracting the TL DVD-A demo disc, since we can only put in one piece of media in the player now (4G's), I'd like to compile a bunch of DVD-A files and lose the ones I don't like, plus bring in a few from other DVD-A's that I own. Capesh?

I did read the instructions, but the encryption is the issue at this time for ME. I just hate Windblows anything, it's so retarded and the GUI's on every app suck!

Hmmm, maybe you're new at this haha. No, it IS music DVD's that I use to rip the tracks off using dvd extractor then burned those tracks using Solo "capesh?"

K, now pay attention. I don't want to buy a $200 OS by Windoze just to burn DVD's but it's looking that way. But if I do, I will buy more MUSIC DVD'S, ie: ACDC in concert (like I have already) and make sure that dvd is in 5.1 or DTS, then put that dvd in my drive, run dvd extractor and pull those tracks off in a form of WAV files. Then load them into Solo and burn them onto a DVD-R hense creating a DVD-A in 5.1 or DTS, you still with me?

Finally, as for the 4G's issue well this is the 3G forum
But it should still work.

Here's an example of music dvd there champ---> http://www.newvideo.com/productdetai...=NV-AAAE101350 in 5.1

I actually have it and burned the tracks to DVD-A just as I explained.

l8tr
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been searching online for hours trying to figure out how to do this, to no avail. Has anyone figured out how to rip 5.1 surround sound from a dvd and burn it in 5.1 to DVD-A using a mac?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
If your a mac....use a program called "BURN". I'm not sure if it does 5.1 but stereo isn't meant to be 5.1