3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zeroed Out Mileage "_ _ _ _ _ _"

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience with this problem in my 2000 TL, the dealer replaced the odometer module and reset my mileage to zero. I purchased the car from the same dealer that replaced the odometer. There was documentation from the dealer showing the mileage at which the odometer was replaced and reset to zero. I didn't give it any thought until I went to trade it in for a 2004 TL at the same dealer. I was told that they wouldn't be able to give me what it was worth because of the odometer replacement. I was told the same thing at a couple of different dealerships. In the end, I sold it privately to someone that didn't care about the odometer replacement and trusted the paper work documenting the replacement. I guess what I'm saying is that it can cause you some headaches later.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Advanced

10/13/04 - Update

I've written to the service manager and contacted Acura Client Services regarding all the concerns you folks have mentioned on this thread. After a few months of waiting, here is what they have to offer:

1) a new odometer programed to the best estimated mileage
2) change all fluids and reset the MID

My request for a new car was shot down, as was my request for an extended warranty.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by SFzip
I've written to the service manager and contacted Acura Client Services regarding all the concerns you folks have mentioned on this thread. After a few months of waiting, here is what they have to offer:

My request for a new car was shot down, as was my request for an extended warranty.
IANAL, but since this obviously was defective equipment, and since it can potentially drastically affect the resale value of your car, I think more needs to be done. Maybe you should go speak with a lawyer, if for no other reason than peace of mind.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acur8ly
I would be firm about getting the car replaced if the mileage was reset to zero by their mistake. Unless u plan to keep the car forever and resale value is not an issue
why would anyone even suspect that the mileage is incorrect. the resacle value is not going to go down. it would only go down if the mileage has been tampered with.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by nick04tl
why would anyone even suspect that the mileage is incorrect. the resacle value is not going to go down. it would only go down if the mileage has been tampered with.
You mean, for example, if the mileage had been reduced to zero after 14,000 miles had been put on the car? Stuff like this can be tracked (think Carfax).

As others have mentioned, it typically doesn't matter how accurate he can get the new mileage to be. What matters is the fact that it's not 100% accurate. Of course, most private sellers won't care as long as he has documentation. But if he tries to trade it in, dealers will care. And more importantly, if it gets totalled, his insurance might care.

Overall, since this wasn't his fault, I see no reason why he should have to go through all this trouble. Acura should do what is needed to correct the situation. In this case, replacing the odometer does fix the equipment, but it doesn't completely fix the problem.

(Btw, I'm not advocating that he should get a new car. I really don't know what should be done to rectify the situation. I just don't believe that what they've offered to do thus far would be enough.)
Old 10-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

Reset the mid

WHAT IS THE MID?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MID = Multi-Information Display

Regarding the loss of mileage data, a sticker is usually placed on the door-sil near the tire pressure data. Electronic mileage circuits are not infallible and this problem is certain to have been experienced before - also, when I take my car in for service (rarely, since I do most general maintenance myself), one of the first things they do is to write the mileage on the service form used to calculate charges. They really are at fault for NOT knowing the mileage of your car, imho.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nucleusTL
Reset the mid

WHAT IS THE MID?

mutli information display..

the screen under the gas and engine temp guages
Old 10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Automobile Aficionado

See An Attorney. Automotive/lemon-law.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the inputs.

I'm shying away from legal action because no lawyer would take this kind of case on contingency, meaning I would have to fork out money up front. And since it is legal to reset odometers in California with proper documentation, I'm probably better off not taking the legal route.

Today, I got a call from the service department and have more details to share.

They are offering these items:

1) Perform a major service (Basic, see below)
2) Replace A/C filter
3) Provide loaner vehicle

Number 3) is offered because the odometer will be removed from my car to be reprogrammed, then reinstalled. So potentially, my car will be out of commission for 2-4 days. I just hope they tighten up the dash properly or I'll get rattles!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks for all the inputs.

I'm shying away from legal action because no lawyer would take this kind of case on contingency, meaning I would have to fork out money up front. And since it is legal to reset odometers in California with proper documentation, I'm probably better off not taking the legal route.

Today, I got a call from the service department and have more details to share.

They are offering these items:

1) Perform a major service (Basic, see below)
2) Replace A/C filter
3) Provide loaner vehicle

Number 3) is offered because the odometer will be removed from my car to be reprogrammed, then reinstalled. So potentially, my car will be out of commission for 2-4 days. I just hope they tighten up the dash properly or I'll get rattles!

Here's how you can really stick it to 'em:

Negotiate a deal where they agree to do that premium service for all Acura-TL.com members. Yeah, that'll show 'em.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by junk_99_dl
From my experience with this problem in my 2000 TL, the dealer replaced the odometer module and reset my mileage to zero. I purchased the car from the same dealer that replaced the odometer. There was documentation from the dealer showing the mileage at which the odometer was replaced and reset to zero. I didn't give it any thought until I went to trade it in for a 2004 TL at the same dealer. I was told that they wouldn't be able to give me what it was worth because of the odometer replacement.
Now that's just asinine. That dealer was responsible for your loss in value, and they just left you to twist in the wind?

I sincerely hope you didn't actually buy your '04 from that dealership!!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Retired MOD

tell them you don't want the car anymore, is acura's fault anyways. if it is under warranty, they have to fixed it, even if a new car is needed as replacement.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:56 AM
Drifting

$428-$628..WOW...that's a lot of money for a 30,000 mile service....I don't remember paying that much on my last car. Seems like way too much considering what they have to do. I'd bet the whole job takes less than 2 hours.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced

I recited junk_99_dl situation to the Acura case manager, and here's what he had to say...

"There's enough documentation for you to be covered. Dealerships will always lowball you and will use this odometer issue to their advantage. Unfortunately, we at Honda Corporation cannot help you with this. Besides, why would you trade in your car at a dealership when you can sell it privately for more money?"

Basically, the burden is on me to explain my way to a fair market price when I sell my car, since I MUST check the box that states NOT the actual mileage when filling out transfer of ownership/liability forms.

I mentioned to him that I would post on this forum the outcome of my situation, but he didn't seem concerned at all.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Ok, I brought my car in this morning for them to fix this issue. They wanted me to come up with the missing, undocumented mileage that was put on during the 20 days while the odometer was non-operational. I told them I have no idea what the mileage was, so I asked them to come up with a number. They wouldn't, so we're at stalemate at this point.

I don't think I should be held liable for the fabricated mileage, since I was not the one who zeroed out the odometer and made inoperable. Am I being an ass about this?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Team Anthracite Member

You are definitely not being an ass about this. Think about this. Let's say you want to sell your car in 4 years. You advertise it at 60,000 miles (even though your odometer say 45,000 miles) and the next guy advertises his identical TL at 60,000 (with an odometer that reads 60,000 miles). Which TL is going to sell? Not yours... The buyer will be suspicious and would rather go the safe route.

Acura should recognize this fact and treat you properly. Don't give in!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Well, here's the final outcome....

I will have to take what the dealer had offered, which was reprogram the odometer to my estimated miles, perform a major service and replace the A/C filter.

Back in August 2004 (about five months ago), I had reported this to the California DMV. An hour ago, I got a call from them stating that this issue has been discussed with the dealer, and that I'm allowed to estimate the missing miles. Also, DMV does not agree that the value of my car will be diminished by this matter.

Over and out.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Computer Techie Geek

WOW .. long battle man ..

Bravo SFZip... you finally saw the whole process through and update us all consistently.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweaver--- notice the blank line above the "Trip A" line. I any case, doesn't the dealership have a record of the mileage you turned the car in at? So the only thing to worry about is the milage you've driven since which should be somewhat minimal (I would assume). ---Never mind me, just replying to an old post on the first page
Old 02-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Well, here's the final outcome....

I will have to take what the dealer had offered, which was reprogram the odometer to my estimated miles, perform a major service and replace the A/C filter.

Back in August 2004 (about five months ago), I had reported this to the California DMV. An hour ago, I got a call from them stating that this issue has been discussed with the dealer, and that I'm allowed to estimate the missing miles. Also, DMV does not agree that the value of my car will be diminished by this matter.

Over and out.
Thanks for the reply... sorry to know it took 8 months to work out...
Old 02-23-2005, 05:13 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yet another fine example of why Acura Client Service is really not any client service at all. They are a group of fairly cocky and unconcerned employees who will do anything to turn you down since they know most customers will not go to the trouble of bringing legal action.

Oh... and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Lore
Yet another fine example of why Acura Client Service is really not any client service at all. They are a group of fairly cocky and unconcerned employees who will do anything to turn you down since they know most customers will not go to the trouble of bringing legal action.

Oh... and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.
I think I saw a commercial for Acura client services on TV the other night. David Spade was portraying one of the super helpful employees, and kept reiterating the word no to all of the client requests.

On another note I am glad the issue was 'resolved'!! Too bad Acura didn't step up to the plate to really take care of you!!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:43 PM
ULOOZ

there is a company in Madison Heights MI and also in Cali that does the odometer matching for the Honda/ Acura dealers.. I dont know what the charge is. they should have fixed that while they were there!!!!