Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino vs. Meguiar's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino vs. Meguiar's

There has been so much said about Zaino here, and I've looked at the very impressive photos.

My 04TL (WDP) just got the dealer's paint protectant, but I wanted to show everyone what you can do with more conventional products you can get for cheap at Autozone. I used Meguiar's paint cleaner, polish, and liquid wax (their 1-2-3 step) on my wife's 2002 Passat. The Passat's paint has many issues as it has a lot of miles and we live in the California desert. The Passat has to sit outside in the 105-degree heat (today 12/21 was over 80 to give you an idea).

You can see in the photos how banged up the hood is from the road debris. I hadn't done anything to the paint (other than washing) since we bought it in early 2002.

But look at the shine! I did the Meguiar's 1-2-3 treatment two weeks ago, and washed it today with regular soap.

So I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the big bucks for Zaino when I can get a good shine from Meguiar's.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

The driver's door...
Old 12-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Rear panel. This is before I took the water spots off with wet wipe n' shine.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:34 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Re: Zaino vs. Meguiar's

Originally posted by clafournaise
There has been so much said about Zaino here, and I've looked at the very impressive photos.

[snip]

So I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the big bucks for Zaino when I can get a good shine from Meguiar's.
I've been using Meguiar's with good results on my '03 TL-S (NBP/Ebony) since I bought it in June of '02. I'm currently waiting for the arrival of my new '04 TL (also NBP/Ebony). With all the good comments of the people here, I ordered the Zaino Show Car Kit yesterday. After the '04 arrives and weather permits, we'll see how Zaino compares.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Team SSM

I can't agree with you more.... I use Meguiar's and love it..
Old 12-21-2003, 11:17 PM
What's a TL?

I used Meguire's on my '01 CL, but have been convinced Zaino is the way to go. I too have the complete kit ($89 ish) on order. Sounds like a bargain if it will do what I've seen
Old 12-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Racer

Big bucks for Zaino? The total Zaino package to polish the exterior is less than $50! The stuff lasts for a long time, too. After the initial cleaning process to get rid of the old wax it's super quick to apply. The car doesn't get as dirty either.

I was very skeptical of the product, but it does work well. I've heard good things about Macguires also, but I understand that Zaino is the best product.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Racer

As an EX - Meguiar's user, I did find that Meguiar's (and other waxes) can give you a great shine. I REALLY knew how to work it and spent hours with my buffer and various polishes, glazes and finishing products. After following a Zaino forum for a year, I finally decided to try it, and I found:

1. Zaino shines better and better! The shine improves with each layer, unlike wax, where each new layer dissolves the previous one.

2. Zaino lasts MUCH longer. I had to Meguiar's every 5-6 weeks to keep the look, but now Zaino every 5-6 MONTHS.

3. Zaino is SO MUCH EASIER and FASTER - 20 minutes to completely polish the car and no power buffer needed!

4. Zaino is actually cheaper - You use SO LITTLE that a bottle can last 8-12 times, compared to 2-3 for waxes.

5. Zaino protects better - . About a week after I Zaino'd our TSX, some huge bird made a GIANT plop on the car. When I found it, I probed it to see how dry it was before washing it off, and it ALL slid off in ONE PIECE! I was totally blown away!

I have now been using Zaino for about 3 years, and would NEVER go back to wax, ANY wax.

It's clear that you care for your car, so don't wait - order a Zaino kit ASAP. You can always go back to your Meguiar's if you wish, but I don't know of anyone that ever has.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with automophile. I have used Meguires in the past and have converted to all Zaino. I liek the fact that u can apply the stuff in the sunlight, its not a problem to work on the whole car instead of just areas. For the way I like to take care of my car I think Zaino is the best product for my needs. You got a really nice shine on your Jetta. It seems kinda hazy tho, almost like there are a lot of marks on the paint.