Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Zaino or not to Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
As far as using multiple coats of different Zaino products, that's just marketing hype to get you to buy more. Use one coat of Z2 and you're done.
Yeah, there's a lot of marketing hype with Zaino. Fact is, if you want the high gloss shine, you have to apply multiple coats of Zaino. The shine you get with one coat of Z2, does not equal the shine you get with one coat of products like TS Clearcoat.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven
Yeah, there's a lot of marketing hype with Zaino. Fact is, if you want the high gloss shine, you have to apply multiple coats of Zaino. The shine you get with one coat of Z2, does not equal the shine you get with one coat of products like TS Clearcoat.

High gloss is a relative thing. If you are showing the car, I completely understand. But for use to keep the car looking nice with a balance of properties (long life and shine), I think the Zaino is fine. Trust me, I'm pretty picky. But this is like discussions of stereos. There will always be audiophiles who are not going to be happy with anything but a $5,000 aftermarket system.

Same with "shine". Some people are over the edge. For them, I certainly understand that other products may offer more shine. But even the most fanatical guys I hang out with (and one is really over the edge), they all use Zaino.

Like they say - "it's all good"!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Instructor

What Zaino product is the best? Do most of you use the kit or just but one type of product?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Not looking to get flamed but I have a Diamond Gloss coating on my car and I've been pretty happy with it. Just soap and water and dry. I don't get Zaino shine but then again, I'm not looking for that either.

Basically, it looks as good as it did when it came from the dealer. That's good enough for me considering I don't have to wax/polish anymore.

I do use other Zaino stuff though:

Z-9, Z-10 for leather maintainence. Works pretty good, I like the smell.

Z-16 Tire Gloss. I use it because it makes the tire look nice and black but with a lower gloss than most of the silicon based products. The 'wet' look on tires is just too ricey for me. Also, I've found that Z-16 will last through multiple washings (something the silicon based products won't do.)

Question: since Zaino isn't a wax and it's optically pure, can you use Z-2 for window protection? I just want something that will make the water sheet on the windows and last a fairly long time so i don't have to keep treating them. Will Z-2 'bond' to glass or will it just come right after the first washing?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Racer

It's OK - Zaino isn't for everyone. Some people are happy with a different, softer look. Some people also actually like to wax their cars more often.

However, if you want the "dipped in glass" look that lasts for months, and goes on in 20 minutes, then you use Zaino. No problemo!

And - there is NO marketing hype regarding Zaino, because there is no marketing! Zaino does not advertise. What you hear is only personal comments from users and others.

As far as Z-2 on glass - It is totally clear, so I imagine that this can be done. Many use the Z-6 on the glass. Why not email Sal at Zaino? He always responds to your questions.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by maecrispy
Question: since Zaino isn't a wax and it's optically pure, can you use Z-2 for window protection? I just want something that will make the water sheet on the windows and last a fairly long time so i don't have to keep treating them. Will Z-2 'bond' to glass or will it just come right after the first washing?
To follow up my own question, Sal Zaino's reply:

QUESTION #1: Can Z-2 or Z-6 be used on glass?

"Z-6 works great on clean exterior glass. It will leave a high polished
finish that repels water and makes the wiper blades work better...
Remember Z-6 is extremely concentrated, a little goes a long way....

Another Tip is... You can also use Z-2 with or without ZFX on the exterior
windows. The combination of Z-2 and Z-6 is awesome on exterior glass...

Z-6 is also safe for use on aftermarket window tint."
Old 04-01-2004, 03:13 PM
BOOK EM

Thumbs up

I`ve used Z2 and Z6 inside and outside the glass and it looks sooo shiney. If you do, make sure you use a clean, not dirty, towel. Otherwise, in certain angles you can see some streaks from moving it aroud with a used towel
Old 04-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ed99
Hi,

I notice you live in TO and do they sell Zaino kits in retail stores there. I live in Vancouver BC and I don't see anyone selling that stuff. I would like to buy some but only can purchase it through online. I don't like to give my credit card# over the internet. Is there anywhere you can purchase a kit in Canada?? thx bud!! :p
There is a Zaino website where you can order Zaino products in Canada. There is an order sheet, one for each province that you can print then fax your order in. I ordered mine this week and received it two days later. Really efficient. I haven't tried it yet because the weather hasn't been cooperative.
Here's the link. http://www.zaino.ca/index.html
Hope this helps other Canadians.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TorontoTL
There is a Zaino website where you can order Zaino products in Canada. There is an order sheet, one for each province that you can print then fax your order in. I ordered mine this week and received it two days later. Really efficient. I haven't tried it yet because the weather hasn't been cooperative.
Here's the link. http://www.zaino.ca/index.html
Hope this helps other Canadians.

Thanks bud!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ed99
Thanks bud!!!
No problem, have to help each other out here.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Regarding windows - I have not tried Z2 on it (thanks for the answer above), but I do use Z6 on them all the time. It's a great cleaner, and easier to get the streaks out than window cleaners (yeah, I've read all the window cleaning secrets!). In fact, I seldom use my windshield wipers as well. The Z6 helps in this regard.

BTW, I Rain X my windows about four times a year. I think it is actually a polymer very much like Zaino wax anyway. This may be why the Z6 makes such a good window cleaner.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:24 AM
10th Gear

I'm thinking of putting a clear bra on my TL. Do I need to have that applied before working with Zaino? And when it's on do I Zaino the bra as well to get a consistent look to the hood?

Also, has anyone looked into getting a clear bra applied in the Toronto area?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Racer

According to Zaino, you just Z over the bra after it is installed.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just completed our first wax of the TL using Meguiras NXT wash, Quick Clay, then NXT Tech wax and the results are fabulous.

The amount of dirt that the clay bar pulled of the paint was surprising, especially for a brand new car. The dirt had a rustly color to it, the TL is Green. After the clay treatment the feel of the car was super smooth.

Next (and last) was 2 coats of the NXT Tech wax, this really richened the paint. Now to see how this will last. For $35 or so for all 3 products they worked out great and were easy to apply (about 1 hr, 2 people)
Old 04-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't give me a brake (dust)!

Originally Posted by roadman
The amount of dirt that the clay bar pulled of the paint was surprising, especially for a brand new car. The dirt had a rustly color to it, the TL is Green.
The rusty colored "dirt", I suspect is either rail dust (iron oxide from railroad tracks if your car wash shipped by rail) or brake pad dust. Both are nasty metallic particles that imbed in the paint but can be removed with the clay bar process.