3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Your Mods and Upgrades Covered By Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Are Your Mods and Upgrades Covered By Insurance?

I perused over 300 thread titles and couldn't find this with search. I'm looking for feedback before I call my insurance company.

I'm upgrading to the Aspec (suspension, rims, bodykit). Do I need make sure that my insurance covers these things? I think it wouldn't be that bad considering that Acura offers the car this way.

The TL is the first car that I've somewhat upgraded, except the sound system on other cars. What have you guys done? Some of you have some serious tied up in rims and the ronjon kit. Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt that tell the insurance company that you should be assigned to the riskier group? adding sportier suspension shocks and stuff? you want these because you want to driver your car more aggressively no? something like that.
need another cup of coffee fading fast.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Read your policy. Mine specifically excludes aftermarket parts, as do most standard policies...if you have serious aftermarket parts (a lot more than rims and RJ kit), then you would probably get a rider of some sort that lists the parts and their value (and then be charged appropriately to have them covered). That being said, ASPEC is Acura...might depend on if it was on the car at purchase (considered original equipment, maybe)...probably have to ask your agent on that one. If you were to take a big hit, you could always file under personal property on your home owners.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Some do some dont. check the wording in your policy. If it does typically its a set dollar amount on aftermarket items intended to cover stereos, winches on trucks, etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Instructor

With my insurance, they give you the option to purchase a "personal property" option, meaning that it covers anything that has been permanently installed into the vehicle.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Racer

from my experience, no aftermarket or even factory equipment that is added on AFTER the time of purchase of the car is covered under normal insurance policies. youre going to need a separate insurance policy or clause in your current insurance policy to cover your aspec parts if you install it on your car.

also, from my experience, you cannot file a claim under your homeowners policy for items that arent covered under your car insurance, such as items like the aspec parts.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
a guy on audiworld got his policy cancelled when he call his insurance company just to inquire about aftermarket parts on his vehicle.

so if you want to ask your insurance company, go ahead.. just don't give them your policy number first.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In most cases you will have to pay an additional premiumum for those aftermarket accessories. Almost all insurance companies have found a way to pull more money out of you while saving them more money.

I'm guessing the surge of the tricked out/souped up Civics/Accords of the 90s hit them hard with insurance claims that needed to be paid when no such defenition was in place at that time. They finally wised up and found another revenue method.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:07 AM
nnInn

Thanks Guys. I'm not worried about paying a few bucks more to insure. Just wondering if people are having the insurance cover these things. I have extra insurance on my house and a few other things. If someone was to hit me not worried they should have coverage.

Knock on wood no accidents for me in 23 years (18 and stoned), one speeding ticket in 13 yrs. So I'm not worried about them dropping me, there's always another company.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've noticed as long as you keep receipts of your purchases and something happens your insurance company will cover it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
VS#03

S!@T.......Allstate Adjuster give me the run around for the Clear Bra on my Lexus RX330 when they stole my HID system. I had to call Allstate myself to explained the matter about the clearbra, that it wasn't a customize modification.....that it protects the entire nose of the vehicle. Allstate acknoledge the claim but it took two weeks for a decision.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Zoomie ABP

So the full ASPEC kit is not covered under insurance? I need to call USAA. That seems kinda stupid since it is an Acura accessory.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
So the full ASPEC kit is not covered under insurance? I need to call USAA. That seems kinda stupid since it is an Acura accessory.
I'd say if you bought the car with the Aspec at time of purchase it should be covered. I'm mainly thinking about doing this stuff afterwards. Got mine in Feb 06, next week will be finished with Aspec add-ons. I thinking that it shouldn't be a problem even the way I'm doing it because there Acura parts.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

You have to add a rider. It's based on the additional amount. Adding $3K worth of additional coverage for my wheels, CAI, tires, and exhaust was about $9 a year. Even if add-on factory options were installed by a dealer at the time of sale, they're not covered. The insurance company looks at the VIN and RPO codes from the original build to determine the car's value if it's totalled and how much to allocate for repairs if it's damaged. For example if you have undeclared "bling" wheels and one has to be replaced due to damage the insurance company will only pay out based on the cost of the original factory wheel. It's worth the couple of bucks a year to take out a rider just for the peace of mind.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
LET me know what USAA tells you..i have them also, so i'm really interested in knowing as well
Old 10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BarryH
You have to add a rider. It's based on the additional amount. Adding $3K worth of additional coverage for my wheels, CAI, tires, and exhaust was about $9 a year. Even if add-on factory options were installed by a dealer at the time of sale, they're not covered. The insurance company looks at the VIN and RPO codes from the original build to determine the car's value if it's totalled and how much to allocate for repairs if it's damaged. For example if you have undeclared "bling" wheels and one has to be replaced due to damage the insurance company will only pay out based on the cost of the original factory wheel. It's worth the couple of bucks a year to take out a rider just for the peace of mind.
I second that. If you guys remember I had almost all of my mods installed the day after I bought my car. (Thanks to the research I did here) Anyways when I insured the car everything was already installed and all I did was submit receipts showing the value of the aftermarket stuff and like mentioned above it came out to a few bucks a year.

Now with my previous vehicle an 05 Nissan Frontier I did'nt have any aftermarket stuff insured and when I was in my accident my front passenger rim and tire were damaged. The insurance company factored in the OEM price of one rim and tire and I had to pay the difference for the aftermarket rim and tire.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by ubond007
I second that. If you guys remember I had almost all of my mods installed the day after I bought my car. (Thanks to the research I did here) Anyways when I insured the car everything was already installed and all I did was submit receipts showing the value of the aftermarket stuff and like mentioned above it came out to a few bucks a year.

Now with my previous vehicle an 05 Nissan Frontier I did'nt have any aftermarket stuff insured and when I was in my accident my front passenger rim and tire were damaged. The insurance company factored in the OEM price of one rim and tire and I had to pay the difference for the aftermarket rim and tire.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks. How's your car?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
That's what I was looking for. Thanks. How's your car?
Well I posted pics in the thread showing the damage. It's not that bad considering you can't really tell unless you come close and look for it. Other than that still loving this car!! Thanks for asking!!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
05 TL

So whats the deal with USAA... They cover the tools in my trunk... All they said is that I need pictures when I told them about that and 1200 bux worth of car audio in my saturn...