3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys know so much, I know so little. Please teach me and tell me WHERE these are?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys know so much, I know so little. Please teach me and tell me WHERE these are?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums. I'm an owner of a 2007 TL-Type S. It's a wonderful car.

I would like to believe that I know a lot about the superficial aspects of cars, but not much about the technicality behind them. Using spark plugs or changing spare tires are probably the extent of my mechanic knowledge.

Before you tell me to use the search function, please understand that I'm coming from a position where I literally know nothing, but want to do everything, and the search feature does not get at the specifics that I need.

Since my warranty recently expired, I would like to make some basic modifications to my car. I need opinions and facts for the following:

1. What modifications should I get (both exterior and interior), what do they do, how much do they cost, and what are the most common mods people add to their TL-S?

2. BIG QUESTION. WHERE WHERE WHERE do I find people to do these repairs or mods? As far as I know, there only exists major automotive repair mechanic places like Jiffylube and the like, or simple dealership service shops, but you guys always talk like these places come by the hundreds. I live in downtown L.A., so where can I find some of these private, super rare, super competent mechanics that are honest? In today's times, almost every mechanic tries to pull a fast one, and even with my limited knowledge of cars, my cynical attitude allows me to catch and refrain from doing business with these sons of bitches. So, WHERE can I find honest mechanics who are willing to do a good job on other people's treasures?

2.5 Also, WHERE do I buy these parts? I don't seem to even be able to order stock tires or stock brake pads or stock anything, let alone aftermarket parts. So where do you guys usually buy all those kickass parts? Where do you buy OEM stock parts? My bumper needs repairing, so I need this and the previous question answered so I can get a good and fair repair.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I really appreciate any answer that would help a self proclaimed car enthusiast get started on something that I am passionate about, but unable to pursue do to lack of knowledge and time constraints.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Advanced

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/performance-modifications-tl-owners-701772/

I've taken a look at this for quite some time now, but it's not much help when it's only an objective list for someone who's completely new to the whole scene...
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kleenc2000
Using spark plugs or changing spare tires are probably the extent of my mechanic knowledge.
See? I proved my point. I meant jumper cables. What in the 3AM mind am I thinking Please forgive me
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
1) what do you want to do with the car? performance or looks? a little of both?
interior: LED lighting (domes, doors, vanity, etc. you can try and do switchback for all the button lights see deathmetal's numerous threads on his conversion). vleds is having a x-mas sale right now for LED lighting....order bulbs plug n play. exterior: endless...tint, catback exhaust, j-pipe (best bang for buck), aspec lip kit, suspension kits, rear sway bars, LED lighting for license plate tags, reverse lights...window visors (if you like)...browse through the photograph section for inspiration...then hunt down what you want. there are tons of other bolt ons these are just some of the more common ones...just depends on what you want out of it.

2) where in LA to go...post this question or look in the so. cal section under regions. many people DIY with help from some of the guides here. others find buddies that are more mechanically incline to help them. if you bring the parts to a trusted mechanic they can help you as well (even the dealer, as long as it isn't illegal).

3) acuraoemparts, heel toe auto, excelerate performance, rv6 performance, acktl05 (vendor) for anything OEM or tim (vendor) for anything OEM (his parts will ship out from arizona).

comes down to its your car, so what do YOU want to do with it? and how much do you want to spend? happy modding!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-13-2011)