Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You drivers, any report on SS mode 1-2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
You drivers, any report on SS mode 1-2?

Is the 1-2 shift in SS mode still automatic?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think someone from the ride and drive mentioned that it is still automatic
Old 09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

A review also confirmed.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
grrrr.....that sucks.....i drove an audi a4 with tiptronic and the 1-> shift was soo much fun
Old 09-19-2003, 04:27 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Umm...

Have you guys failed to realize the new TL is offered with a 6M?!

Old 09-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
yea that would be nice if they let us decide if we want 2nd or not!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I heard with the 6MT, you can choose to stay in any gear as long as you want...
Old 09-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by fsttyms1
THats what 1999 TL is for
Old 09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Nope..it automatically switches.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

My $.02

The CL-S and TL-S were never intended to be a ¼ mile racer. The SportShift was more for responsive downshifts when passing or just playing through a winding road. Acura’s reasoning behind the automatic 1st to 2nd shift is so they wouldn’t have to replace as many transmissions. How many times have you exited from the interstate and forgotten you were in sportshift until you were at 5000 rpm’s in second gear? Second gear can handle that abuse much more than first.

Since I purchased my CL-S in 1999, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I wanted to manually shift for 1st to 2nd or vice-versa. However, the number of times it has saved my transmissions from an unintentional 1st gear redline is much higher.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think Acura has a point.

Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro

Actually I agree with Sundance. I have a 2000 TL and use the SS frequently and find that I have no issue with it upshifting for me from 1 to 2, however, it could actually hold the shift until somewhat higer rpms. Perhaps the new trannie will shift later than the one in the current TL. But otherwise it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Do you know on the TSX you can Up and Downshift whenever you want from 1-2, it isn't automatic...Why would it be the same on the TL?
Ed
Old 09-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Someone from TOV summarized this from the brochure:

Transmission: the sportshift transmission has been improved, like when in regular automatic mode and you floor it, it enables a low gears hold shift operation that when in gears 1,2,and 3 that holds off shifting until closer to red line (6800)
Old 09-23-2003, 04:56 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

i was wondering, cause my 99 lets me shift just fine between 1 and 2 .. i guess that's a difference between the 00-03 and the 99 then?

Tracer
Old 09-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by fsttyms1
Originally posted by 2004TL
THats what 1999 TL is for
Originally posted by Tracer
i was wondering, cause my 99 lets me shift just fine between 1 and 2 .. i guess that's a difference between the 00-03 and the 99 then?

Tracer
Yup read the post I quoted above

Only on 1999 TL you can do that, 2000+ you were never able to, maybe because they got new 5 speed Auto's (unlike 4 Speed 1999) And also maybe transmission issues :p
Old 09-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Race Director

5-SPEED SEQUENTIAL SportShift AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

To combine the convenience of an automatic transmission with the precise driver-oriented control of a manual, the TL features a 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic. Five closely spaced ratios help deliver strong acceleration combined with a high level of fuel efficiency at cruising speed. The new Drive-by-wire throttle control system allows the engine and transmission to coordinate their functions electronically, resulting in much quicker and smoother shifts.

When in automatic mode, the transmission incorporates an advanced Grade Logic Control System and Shift Hold Control to reduce gear "hunting" and unnecessary shifting.

To cut down on unnecessary shifting when negotiating winding roads, the Sequential SportShift automatic incorporates improved logic called Shift-Hold Control. When the throttle is suddenly released and the brakes are applied, as is the case when decelerating at the entrance of a corner, Shift-Hold Control can keep the transmission in its current (lower) ratio as it negotiates the corner and accelerates out. This feature leaves the chassis undisturbed by excess shifting, and ensures that abundant power is available without a downshift at the exit of the corner.

The 5-speed automatic alters its shift schedule when traveling uphill or downhill to reduce shift frequency, and improve speed control. Throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration are continuously measured, then compared with a map stored in the transmission computer. The Grade Logic Control System then determines when the car is on a hill and automatically adjusts the shift schedule to hold the engine in a lower gear for better climbing power or increased downhill engine braking.

Manual Mode Operation

The Sequential SportShift transmission can be shifted into manual mode by moving the selector lever laterally to a special gate to the left of the "Drive" position. When in the manual gate, a forward push selects a higher gear and a rearward pull selects a lower gear. Special shift logic in manual mode delivers quicker, firmer shifts than in fully automatic mode. An LED display in the instrument panel indicates which gear the transmission is in.

A variety of safety features help protect the engine and drivetrain from damage. The transmission will upshift from first to second automatically if the driver doesn’t command an upshift in time. In second, third and fourth, the transmission won’t upshift without a command from the driver; the ECU cuts off fuel flow to the engine if there is danger of over-revving the engine. The transmission will upshift to prevent engine damage in the rare situation where the fuel cutoff alone is unable to prevent further engine over revving (e.g. on a steep downhill). When downshifting, the transmission won’t execute a driver-commanded downshift that would send the engine beyond redline in the lower gear. To prevent lugging away from a stop in a high gear, the Sequential SportShift transmission will automatically downshift to first gear as it comes to a stop, even in manual mode.

5-Position Shift Gate

The new TL benefits from a new 5-position shift gate that simplifies the operation of the transmission. It features a quieter linkage and a speed-controlled reverse lockout solenoid to prevent transmission damage. When operated in automatic mode, the transmission lets the driver choose between D (Drive) and L (Low). When moved to the Low position, the transmission downshifts to the lowest possible ratio for the current road speed to provide maximum engine braking. If the vehicle continues to slow, the transmission progressively downshifts to maintain engine braking. When it has shifted into first gear, an upshift back to second gear is automatically available if speed increases, but the transmission will not upshift further unless the driver moves the selector back to the D (Drive) position where normal transmission operation resumes.

ACTIVE LOCKUP TORQUE CONVERTER

The 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic includes a new active lockup torque converter that improves fuel economy while maintaining a high level of drivability. A precise linear solenoid expands the speed and throttle setting range in which lockup can be engaged in the top four gears. This reduces transmission slippage for an improvement in fuel mileage. The torque converter is now calibrated to offer more progressive acceleration than in the past, coupled with better acceleration at large throttle openings. The efficient Sequential SportShift automatic transmission couples with taller overall gearing to deliver an estimated 8.1 L/100km on the highway (0.3 L/100km better than achieved with the 6-speed manual transmission). Estimated City mileage for both transmissions is identical at 12.4 L/100km.

Cooperation between 5-Speed sequential sportshift and Electronic throttle control

With the new Drive-by-wire throttle control system, the function of the engine and transmission can be closely choreographed for faster, smoother shifting. Upshifts from first to second gear, and from second to third gear, are more than 0.3 seconds quicker – a 33 percent or better improvement when compared to the previous-generation TL Type S. In manual mode, driver-commanded downshifts are also more than 0.3 second quicker. Meanwhile, the peak g – or "shift shock" – has been reduced significantly during upshifts and downshifts.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Racer

can an 04 owner verify whether the 1st-2nd is automatic, or will it stay in 1st until red line? I got a TSX loaner a couple weeks ago when my car is at the dealer for some warranty work.. and the TSX doesn't upshift to 2nd automatically... that was SWEEEET.. u can actually push it pass redline (oops... thank god its a loaner) before u shift into 2nd.. and the response time is sooo much faster than the 2nd gen TLs!! it practically shifts the second u toggle the shifter.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

does the SS 1-2 shift at the redline, as in fully automatic mode, or at the fuel cutoff?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Racer

In Sport Shift mode the '04 TL shifts automatically from 1st to 2nd gear- way before it redlines.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tracer

Tracer
Acura may have made that change if it was experiencing transmission failures due to owners heating up their trannys. Just a guess on my part.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gregory28
In Sport Shift mode the '04 TL shifts automatically from 1st to 2nd gear- way before it redlines.
In SS mode it makes the 1-2 shift at the same point it would in auto mode. Under WOT it will shift at or very near redline.

-r

EDIT: 6500 rpm.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesnt really shift

Anyone notice that in SS mode, you CAN NOT downshift into first (even at speeds as low as 20mph).

The TSX loaner I had did!

Also, for the TL, you can not start in any gear higher than 2nd, TSX 3rd.

For TL, you can not upshift to 5th (say from 3rd to 5th at 35mph) also, unless your speed is right for it!

It is a lame system and what gives, the TSX does what the TL does not?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Doesnt really shift

Originally posted by need4spd
Anyone notice that in SS mode, you CAN NOT downshift into first (even at speeds as low as 20mph).

The TSX loaner I had did!

Also, for the TL, you can not start in any gear higher than 2nd, TSX 3rd.

For TL, you can not upshift to 5th (say from 3rd to 5th at 35mph) also, unless your speed is right for it!

It is a lame system and what gives, the TSX does what the TL does not?
Someone please make him stop!!!!

This is ridiculous, the sport shift works great, if you want to race all the time you should have gotten a six speed. Why the hell would anyone want to have to shift from first to second all the time? Do you have any idea how many people buy these cars? How wide the demographic is? There is no perfect solution.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:57 PM
an Acura has-been

Re: Re: Doesnt really shift

Originally posted by ACURADDICT
Someone please make him stop!!!!

This is ridiculous, the sport shift works great, if you want to race all the time you should have gotten a six speed. Why the hell would anyone want to have to shift from first to second all the time? Do you have any idea how many people buy these cars? How wide the demographic is? There is no perfect solution.
Relax, what is the deal, I am pointing out that the TL and TSX SS mode are not a like, and yes, I came from driving a MT for over 20years to an auto, and I am having withdrawal symptoms.

getting AT was beyond my control.

Relax, what is your gripe on this, yes I understand the people who drive this, but the TSX is diferent as so is the car that it was built to compete with in Acura's own words?

Did you notice I DID NOT gripe about the auto shifting 1-2 mode? Please read!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one reason I can think of.. hmmm.. 200 horse and 162 torque.. versus 270 horse and 238 torque. you can apply a lot more agression to a tranny with 162 than you can with 238. I would guess reliability is at heart here. And I can count lotsa times I am happy the 1->2 is automatic. I love driving stick and this in no way bothers me.

And it will learn your habits, the more you floor it.. the closer to redline it will shift.. and the closer to 16mpg you will stay (experience speaking)

Later.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 AM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by Sherlock
one reason I can think of.. hmmm.. 200 horse and 162 torque.. versus 270 horse and 238 torque. you can apply a lot more agression to a tranny with 162 than you can with 238. I would guess reliability is at heart here. And I can count lotsa times I am happy the 1->2 is automatic. I love driving stick and this in no way bothers me.

And it will learn your habits, the more you floor it.. the closer to redline it will shift.. and the closer to 16mpg you will stay (experience speaking)

Later.
yes I know about the 16mpg thing, my trip computer is reading between 11mpg and 20 at most on various tank fulls (reset each tank).