Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM sound quality sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rynpamn21
just my 2 cents....XM doesn't sound bad at all in my TL...i'm really thinking about subscribing to it after my free trial is over...again just my 2 cents....
It sounds wonderful in my new Accord...I'm definitely keeping it.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by harddrivin1le
The Mark Levinson system does NOT cost $5K in the ES330....

And the reason is costs as much as it does ($3,120 MSRP) in that car is because it comes bundled with the NAV system...It can cost that much (and more) in the LS430, but only because it's once again bundled with other features in various packages.

What good would a "6.1" system be unless an audio (only) format existed to support it?

Personally, I think jumping into the DVD audio game at this point is premature; titles are very limited and no-one knows whether or not that audio format will take-off. (Remember the week when DAT and Mini Disc were "the next big things" in music? Where are they now?)
Thats still 3K that already come standard on the TL. The levison everybody compares it to is the 430's the one in the ES 300 has little more than the levison name.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Racer

I dont know what the big deal is about sound quality. xm is not about sound quality. its about choice. so tell me, how many of you have even 10-15 radio stations you can get clearly and listen to without xm? I personally LOVE the variety of stations and expect xm to improve the sound quality. and even if they dont I am sold.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Thats still 3K that already come standard on the TL. The levison everybody compares it to is the 430's the one in the ES 300 has little more than the levison name.
Only if the TL has the $2,000 Navigation system option.

What was the ES300 is now the ES330....

The Nav/Levinson package in the ES330 MSRPs @ $3,120.

The Nav system by itself is $2,220. (The Levinson stereo isn't available as a stand-alone option.)

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/lexu...xus*&x=67&y=20

Hence, the effective cost of the Levinson system is $900 ($3,120 - $2,220). That's a far cry from "$5,000" the other poster claimed and he IMPLIED that cost was for the stereo upgrade alone (which isn't the case).

Say what you want, but the interior of the ES330 is nicer than the TL.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM
DNA
Instructor

Originally posted by digital_b
I dont know what the big deal is about sound quality. xm is not about sound quality. its about choice.
I recently paid for 2 years of XM so I agree with you to a point. However, there are also times when I'm listening to XM that it sounds so bad I can't stand it and either switch to another channel, switch over to a CD (I have over 800, though only a few in the car at any one time) or DVD-A (not often, as I only have 7), or turn off the sound entirely It doesn't matter to me if a service has a million different channels if its quality is so poor I'd rather listen to the engine. For me, XM is right on the edge of sonic acceptability. It is of course fine for talk/comedy channels but not always for music.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Banned

Only if the TL has the $2,000 Navigation system option.

What was the ES300 is now the ES330....

The Nav/Levinson package in the ES330 MSRPs @ $3,120.

The Nav system by itself is $2,220. (The Levinson stereo isn't available as a stand-alone option.)

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/lexu...xus*&x=67&y=20

Hence, the effective cost of the Levinson system is $900 ($3,120 - $2,220). That's a far cry from "$5,000" the other poster claimed and he IMPLIED that cost was for the stereo upgrade alone (which isn't the case).

Say what you want, but the interior of the ES330 is nicer than the TL.
In the TL you get the fab radio regardless of navi. Ergo another instance of lexus giving its owners the "luxury" shaft. The 5k radio is in the LS not the lexcamry model ES.
Have you visited your ophthalmologist lately? Aside from some real wood the ES interior is crappier than the TL with abundant cheap plastic that yells I paid too much for a Camry!!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Drifting

In the TL you get the fab radio regardless of navi. Ergo another instance of lexus giving its owners the "luxury" shaft. The 5k radio is in the LS not the lexcamry model ES.
Have you visited your ophthalmologist lately? Aside from some real wood the ES interior is crappier than the TL with abundant cheap plastic that yells I paid too much for a Camry!!
Post the links from REPUTABLE audio sources which favorably compare the TL's stereo system to that of the LS430's Mark Levinson system. And I'm talking about an ACTUAL comparison - head to head.

The "radio" alone doesn't cost $5K in the LS430; claming that it does is flat out dishonest.

Have you visited YOUR opthalmologist lately?

That $5K includes "the radio" plus a host of ADDITIONAL items in what's known as a package.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/lexu...xus*&x=96&y=10

This PACKAGE costs $4,980 and includes a lot more than "the radio."

"PT Modern Luxury Package
Includes Mark Levinson Audio, navigation system with rear camera and bluetooth, 4-spoke wood and leather steering wheel, front climate control seats with heat and cool knob, rear heated seats, and intuitive parking assist. "

Lexus even uses REAL wood in their interiors... I've driven/sat in both cars; the ES330 is a notch above the TL in terms of interior luxury.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Lurker

The "radio" alone doesn't cost $5K in the LS430.

Have you visited YOUR opthalmologist lately?

That $5K includes "the radio" plus a host of ADDITIONAL items in what's known as a package.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/lexu...xus*&x=96&y=10
1LE is right. The ML sound system on the LS430 only comes with the Custom or Luxury packages. The Custom includes
•Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
•Mark Levinson Audio .
•Navigation System .
•Rear Camera .
•Heated Rear Seats .
•Front Climate-Control Seats .
•Headlamp Washers .
•Power Door Closers .
•Includes pre-collision safety system

All for about $6700 on Carsdirect, the luxury ads more features like reclining rear seats and runs $11,000.
There is no way you're getting all of those other features for only $1700 (the claim being that ML was $5K).

Same goes for the ES330, where ML audio isn't available on non-Navi models.

On the Navi model Navi alone is $1859 according to Carsdirect.com. Navi and ML is $2534...making the ML option on the ES330 less than $700.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Lurker

As for the wood...there better be something to justify the $10,000 rebadge of a Camry other than uglyass taillights.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Skeedatl
As for the wood...there better be something to justify the $10,000 rebadge of a Camry other than uglyass taillights.
Aside from a big fat L thats about it, everything else is part of a "I'm going to rip you a new one" package or another. Funny how Honda includes everything in the "base" price. In all other car makers everything is extra. Base price gets you four tires and an engine if your lucky. Xenon lights, sorry thats extra; good audio mmm, thats extra too; VSA, extra you name it they want to give you the shaft. I love the lexus alcantera leather upgrade you guessed it that will be extra too, its part of our 7k neuvo rich package! Lexus fans are so entertaining!!!
Lesser
Egos
eXpend
Unimaginable
Sums
:lol1:
Old 03-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Aside from a big fat L thats about it, everything else is part of a "I'm going to rip you a new one" package or another. Funny how Honda includes everything in the "base" price. In all other car makers everything is extra. Base price gets you four tires and an engine if your lucky. Xenon lights, sorry thats extra; good audio mmm, thats extra too; VSA, extra you name it they want to give you the shaft. I love the lexus alcantera leather upgrade you guessed it that will be extra too, its part of our 7k neuvo rich package! Lexus fans are so entertaining!!!
Lesser
Egos
eXpend
Unimaginable
Sums
:lol1:
Funny how you MISREPRESENTED the facts and then fail to acknowledge doing so after I post a link proving it.

The LS430 is a REAL luxury car (V8 and REAR WHEEL DRIVE).

The TL is essentially an Accord in a Tuxedo.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned

Now now were talking about the ES300 the fact that the LS is a true luxury car is not in question here! I think I could buy an LS if.............................. I were at least 60 years old with bad reflexes and failing eyesight, better yet, if I needed a chauffer!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Lurker

And the LS430 is a wannbe but never will be S430.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Now now were talking about the ES300 the fact that the LS is a true luxury car is not in question here! I think I could buy an LS if.............................. I were at least 60 years old with bad reflexes and failing eyesight, better yet, if I needed a chauffer!
No.

YOU are the one who brought up the LS430...Remember?

Generally speaking, Lexus is THE PARAGON of quality and reliability in the automotive world. I've never owned one, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing REALITY.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/power9_20030709.htm

There is no longer an "ES300." It's the ES330.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Drifting

The Lexus won this comparison, despite the fact that the tested model wasn't even equipped with the optional "Euro suspension." Acura doesn't even build a car in this league and therefore wasn't represented:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=7
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Banned

No.

YOU are the one who brought up the LS430...Remember?

Generally speaking, Lexus is THE PARAGON of quality and reliability in the automotive world. I've never owned one, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing REALITY.

There is no longer an "ES300." It's the ES330.
Who cares if its a 330 or 300 a .3L addition of displacement raised the horsepower from "geezer" to "slightly winded" The only cars more overblown than lexus are MB and BMW. BTW, the LS 430 was mentioned for the radio nothing else, If the new RL blows the TL like the Tl blows the ES Lexus will be blown straight off the market. Oh and who cares about a V8 the TL's 3.2 makes essentially the same thrust as the lexus 4.3 with on third less displacement.!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I don't want to open a can of works here...

BUT... Honestly.. The XM sound on the Acura, witht he great system we have... DOES NOT sound as good as XM does in my last car or other people's cars who have aftermarket radios.

It sounds much better at home too.

In the Acura, for some reason it sounds muddy and lacks highs...

has anyone else made this observation???

I mean it is great and all and I wouldnt by a car without it anymore... but I have noticed that i just doesn't sound as good as it does elsewhere in the Acura.

THoughts?
I have XM in my 02' Explorer with a custom system including 12" sub etc and it definitely sounds better in the truck. My daughter drives it now and I agree that XM is compressed and not as good as FM generally. When I drive on long trips I don't have to scan for new FM stations with XM and the news and talk is obviously much better. What I don't know is why XM sounds better in my truck versus my TL. It well could be the quality of the speakers, amp, etc. plus the size of the cabin.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

Who cares if its a 330 or 300 a .3L addition of displacement raised the horsepower from "geezer" to "slightly winded" The only cars more overblown than lexus are MB and BMW. BTW, the LS 430 was mentioned for the radio nothing else, If the new RL blows the LS like the TL blows the ES Lexus will be blown straight off the market. Oh and who cares about a V8??? the TL's 3.2 makes essentially the same thrust as the lexus 4.3 with a third less displacement.!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Who cares if its a 330 or 300 a .3L addition of displacement raised the horsepower from "geezer" to "slightly winded" The only cars more overblown than lexus are MB and BMW. BTW, the LS 430 was mentioned for the radio nothing else, If the new RL blows the TL like the Tl blows the ES Lexus will be blown straight off the market. Oh and who cares about a V8 the TL's 3.2 makes essentially the same thrust as the lexus 4.3 with on third less displacement.!!!!!!!
Generally speaking, Lexus builds better, more reliable cars than Acura:

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/pro...5-1-lexus.html

And Lexus sells more cars than Acura:

http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/23/cx_dl_0223feat.html

My Accord has "essentially the same thrust" as your TL... In fact, my Accord is "essentially" the same car as your TL...:wow:
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just signed a 5 yr deal for XM, yeah its not the best sound, but I think you people are being over critical of the XM and the TL system in general. Adjust the the trebble , base and fader and this system will change its sound for the better. I really was going to replace the tweeters with pair of boston acoutics, but after adjusting the controls I think the High end is acceptable. I am afraid if I do change the tweeters that it will throw the rest of the system off. Be happy ... the TL is the best Bang for the $$$$ out there.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by zexi
I just signed a 5 yr deal for XM, yeah its not the best sound, but I think you people are being over critical of the XM and the TL system in general. Adjust the the trebble , base and fader and this system will change its sound for the better. I really was going to replace the tweeters with pair of boston acoutics, but after adjusting the controls I think the High end is acceptable. I am afraid if I do change the tweeters that it will throw the rest of the system off. Be happy ... the TL is the best Bang for the $$$$ out there.
The G35 is a better bang for the buck to those who value a well sorted out sport suspension.

The single largest fault of the TL is its shock absorbers; the car is grossly underdamped for a "sports sedan."
Old 03-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Lurker

Generally speaking, Lexus builds better, more reliable cars than Acura:

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/pro...5-1-lexus.html

And Lexus sells more cars than Acura:

http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/23/cx_dl_0223feat.html

My Accord has "essentially the same thrust" as your TL... In fact, my Accord is "essentially" the same car as your TL...:wow:
Regarding quality...it depends on who you ask...

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1077760480844

And there is no doubt that the TL is a "warmed over" Accord, just like the ES330 is a "warmed over" Camry.

As for sales, Lexus advertises way more and offers more models.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Oh and who cares about a V8 the TL's 3.2 makes essentially the same thrust as the lexus 4.3 with on third less displacement.!!!!!!!
By that "logic" Honda and Acura should dump virtually every other 4 and V6 engine they make and use the S2000s 240 HP, 2.2 liter 4 instead (in the Pilot, Acura RL, Acura TL, Acura TSX, etc.).

Why don't you write a letter to Honda of America and bounce that idea off them? I bet they'd hire you in a moment to fill one of their senior powertrain engineer slots!

I guess the TL's engine must REALLY suck, since the S2000's 2.2 liter 4 engine "makes essentially the same thrust as the TL with one-third less displacement.!!!!!!!"

I bet my chainsaw makes more HP per liter than most large diesels!:wow: I wonder why large trucks, bulldozers, et. don't use chainsaw engines?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Lurker

I'm not a fan of Lexus (their cars are bland/boring) but the 430 V8 is arguably the best V8 manufactured. Only when the RL gets the 300HP 40MPG V8 will it be anywhere near the luxury class occupied at the bottom by the Q45 and LS430 and at the top by the XJ, A8L, S-Class and 7-Series. Until then the top of the Acura food chain is in the middle of the Lexus' and Infiniti offerings.

But of course it's leagues ahead of the best from GM and other domestic trash.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever se an acura V8. I'm sure Acura can pull 300hp+ in a v6 with or without IMA. I cant wait to see what the RL is going to offer although I doubt its going to be any faster than the TL. I'm pretty sure its going to be AWD. Damn, maybe I should have waited but I doubt it. I don't think the new RL will be radically different from the one now. IT is going to appeal to the same crowd 50y+ looking for goodies and not necessarily much driving excitement. Ergo, same people that drive the LS 430. One thing is for shure the v8 in the lexus is a smooth operator it just isnt cutting edge tecnology now or even when it was new. Honda V8's have been teaching toyota about how to build engines for 20 years (in racing).
Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever se an acura V8. I'm sure Acura can pull 300hp+ in a v6 with or without IMA. I cant wait to see what the RL is going to offer although I doubt its going to be any faster than the TL. I'm pretty sure its going to be AWD. Damn, maybe I should have waited but I doubt it. I don't think the new RL will be radically different from the one now. IT is going to appeal to the same crowd 50y+ looking for goodies and not necessarily much driving excitement. Ergo, same people that drive the LS 430. One thing is for shure the v8 in the lexus is a smooth operator it just isnt cutting edge tecnology now or even when it was new. Honda V8's have been teaching toyota about how to build engines for 20 years (in racing).
1) Do you understand what TORQUE is? (e.g. Why doesn't Honda use S2000 engines in its Acura TL?)

2) http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/news/index_irl.html

3) The Lexus 430 V8 "isn't cutting edge technology?" By what units of measure do you base that statement on?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

The Toyota v8 is a 32 valve overhead camshaft engine. It does not use variable timing advanced metals variable induction or any other new cutting edge tecnology. The engine is not a dud in any manner, as a matter of fact its is a great engine, but it simply does not break any technological barriers. A honda civic has more technology baked into it than it does. Honda started using multivalve technology at least 5 years before toyota did. Honda has been using variable timming at least 2 car model years, for toyota this the first generation. Just face it, toyota makes great stuff but it has never improved the wheel it simply makes wheels that dont break.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Racer

toyota vs honda?!?

ok... what does this got to do with xm radio?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Racer

this is just stupid. how did this degenerate into toyota vs honda? sheer idiocy.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skeedatl

And there is no doubt that the TL is a "warmed over" Accord, just like the ES330 is a "warmed over" Camry.

this comment is inaccurate and asinine to boot. regardless of what the prior tl may have been, the accord share the frame of the underbody with the tl. thats about it. the camry and es are just about exactly the same car down to the body panels saying toyota on replacement for the es. changed headlights and tail lights are fooling no one. prove your assertion with facts about the tl relative to the accord or stop saying it.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The G35 is a better bang for the buck to those who value a well sorted out sport suspension.

The single largest fault of the TL is its shock absorbers; the car is grossly underdamped for a "sports sedan."

Change the shocks and get the "Stiffer ride you are seeking.....
Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Drifting

The Toyota v8 is a 32...does not use variable timing advanced metals variable induction or any other new cutting edge tecnology.
http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/performance.html

"To add to its remarkable engine, the LS features Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)..."

You obviously don't have THE SLIGHTEST IDEA of what you're talking about.

The SC430 uses essentially the same engine, but adds "variable induction."

http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/performance.html

"The SC...is equipped with an Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) to adjust intake tract length...."

Now, explain to me what you mean by the term "advanced metals."

The LS430's engine churns out 320 lb-ft of torque, which is 35%more than the TL's engine can produce.

The LS1 in my 1999 Z28 Camaro uses 1 cam (in the block), pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder and NONE of the little tricks you're talking about. Yet, it's EPA rated @ 19 city/28 highway, produces ~ 350 HP in showroom stock trim and makes enough low end torque to yank the front end off your TL @ idle.

What good is "new cutting edge technology" if it's unable to do what a simple pushrod V8 can?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by EluSiOn
toyota vs honda?!?

ok... what does this got to do with xm radio?

Actually, he (VTECHBRAIN) was comparing the Acura TL to the Lexus LS430....
Old 03-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by zexi

Change the shocks and get the "Stiffer ride you are seeking.....
Nobody other than Acura (A-spec) offers aftermarket shocks for the TL @ this time...And in order to get the A-spec shocks one has to fork over $5,200 (plus installation) and buy the ENTIRE A-SPEC package!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Lurker

this is just stupid. how did this degenerate into toyota vs honda? sheer idiocy.

Another derailed thread brought to you by Mullethead.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Drifting

...the camry and es are just about exactly the same car down to the body panels saying toyota on replacement for the es. changed headlights and tail lights are fooling no one. prove your assertion with facts about the tl relative to the accord or stop saying it. [/B]
The majority of the ES330 and Camry body panels are UNIQUE and are NOT "shared."
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

The majority of the ES330 and Camry body panels are UNIQUE and are NOT "shared."
Just face it an ES is a rebadged Camry the TL just shares the same elemental structure all else is different. Engine, suspension brakes,sheetmetal, interiors. The TL and Accord are as Different as an accord an an odyssey (surprised? they share the same basic structure too!)
Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Just face it an ES is a rebadged Camry the TL just shares the same elemental structure all else is different. Engine, suspension brakes,sheetmetal, interiors. The TL and Accord are as Different as an accord an an odyssey (surprised? they share the same basic structure too!)
Face it.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Example:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Toyota v8 is a 32...does not use variable timing advanced metals variable induction or any other new cutting edge tecnology.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/performance.html

"To add to its remarkable engine, the LS features Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)..."

You obviously don't have THE SLIGHTEST IDEA of what you're talking about.

The SC430 uses essentially the same engine, but adds "variable induction."

http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/performance.html

"The SC...is equipped with an Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) to adjust intake tract length...."

Now, explain to me what you mean by the term "advanced metals."

The LS430's engine churns out 320 lb-ft of torque, which is 35%more than the TL's engine can produce.

The LS1 in my 1999 Z28 Camaro uses 1 cam (in the block), pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder and NONE of the little tricks you're talking about. Yet, it's EPA rated @ 19 city/28 highway, produces ~ 350 HP in showroom stock trim and makes enough low end torque to yank the front end off your TL @ idle.

What good is "new cutting edge technology" if it's unable to do what a simple pushrod V8 can?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Drifting

www.edmunds.com

There are a LOT of difference between the Camry and the ES330, including SHEETMETAL, suspension tuning, interiors, headlamps, etc...

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/exterior.html

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/interior.html

The ONLY Camry model that shares the ES330's engine is the SE V6.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

This is A TL site, Lexus lovers can kiss our Honda AS*. If they have so much love for their sh*tty cars they can go establish the I'm a Lexus DumbAs.com website and stop trolling ours!!!! I don't visit Infinity or lexus or bimmer sites because I KNOW their cars are inferior to our TL. I think it would be stupid of me to visit their sites and emphasize a point that is evident by the fact that they visit OUR site to try to convince the uninformed that their car is better. If you're sure of what you got go play with your like buddies and leave our website alone!
The bottom line in this discussion is that On a Lexus you pay more for a radio that is at best just as good and at worst inferior to the one that comes STANDARD on every TL. Anybody think they can argue that simple little fact????

Quick Reply: XM sound quality sucks!!!