Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM newbie question

ok, i just realized that my XM radio was, in fact, turned on by the dealer...but since im very new to XM, i had a few questions. any help is appreciated!

first, i was using the steering wheel radio control to flip thru the XM stations and i kept getting the voice recording to activate. when i use the steering wheel control, it goes thru the channels like XM 1-1, XM 1-2 or XM 2-1, etc...and the voice recording kept coming up. does everyone else have this? how am i able to flip thru the channels with the controller, to browse thru stations?

thank you
Old 01-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Advanced

When you use the Steering wheel control to change channels, it goes to next station you have programed with the buttons 1-6. To change to the next channel ie: 100 to 101 you have to use the tunning knob.

RB
Old 01-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Advanced

rbraud:

ah, ic. i'll be sure to program them. i havent gotten a chance to
read the full manual yet, but i'll be sure to.

the cs told me there were different bands, XM1-3. does that impact us in any way?

thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
There is just one group of channels.

Assuming that you have Navi, you can just tell it "XM Radio Channel Twenty Two" or something like that.

There are two XM "banks" for presets, just like FM.
To program the position, tune to the channel you want, and then press and hold the number (1-6) either on the screen or on the Disc buttons along the bottom of the dash.

When you press Channel Up/Down on the steering wheel, it simply jumps between presets.

I'm sure you've noticed that you can hit the AUDIO button on the far right under the Navi screen to switch to Audio display, and see what's going on.

You can also use the right rotary dial to manually tune through all the channels.

I strongly recommend that you visit http://www.xmradio.com and print out a channel list - it certainly helped me in the first few weeks.

I hope that this helps.
I strongly recommend that you DON'T listen to channel #150 or you will be forever sitting in the car for an extra 5 minutes when you reach your destination.

-=Nick=-
Old 01-08-2004, 01:53 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by nickpoore

I strongly recommend that you DON'T listen to channel #150 or you will be forever sitting in the car for an extra 5 minutes when you reach your destination.

-=Nick=- [/B]
Take Nick's word for it...he has spent many a lonely night in the driveway with the XM pumping...or so his neighbor's say!!

Its true....when you find certain channels that are always good, its hard to walk away
Old 01-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced

nick and vtech:

thanks for the information!

i actually dont have navi, but i'll set up the presets and give XM a shot. so far, i'm really enjoying it. sound quality is great.
i'll be sure to print out the channel guide.

ch 150, XM Comedy Channel...now im wondering and gotta tune in one day.

-joe
Old 01-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
Take Nick's word for it...he has spent many a lonely night in the driveway with the XM pumping...or so his neighbor's say!!

Its true....when you find certain channels that are always good, its hard to walk away

Car potatoes?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

As others have said, once you program in your favorite XM channels, they will all come up just fine.

Considering how many channels XM has, I wish they made a few more presets for them in the radio like XM 3-5. Oh well, you can't have everything.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro

Re: XM newbie question

Originally posted by cable
ok, i just realized that my XM radio was, in fact, turned on by the dealer...but since im very new to XM, i had a few questions. any help is appreciated!

first, i was using the steering wheel radio control to flip thru the XM stations and i kept getting the voice recording to activate. when i use the steering wheel control, it goes thru the channels like XM 1-1, XM 1-2 or XM 2-1, etc...and the voice recording kept coming up. does everyone else have this? how am i able to flip thru the channels with the controller, to browse thru stations?

thank you
RTFM! :rocketwho
Old 01-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

XM is hot!!!

Now that I'm an XM believer...I checked their stock price today...they are up from $2 in Jan 03 to $28 in Jan 04. I guess it's catching on.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: XM newbie question

Originally posted by dulnev
RTFM! :rocketwho
ya, i definitely plan to
Old 01-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

One annoyance of the XM feature (at least in non-Navi) is that you only see the station number as you scroll through them. It takes a second or two for the name of the channel to come in. My friend's Suburban stores the channel names and displays them as you scroll, which seems far more intuitive. Unfortunately I don't think there is any way for our system to do this.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Instructor

XM radio question from non XM Canada. Does anyone with a USA 04 TL know whether their XM radio works in Canada (I mean it doesnt stop working at the border, I assume)?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by paddiwakk
XM radio question from non XM Canada. Does anyone with a USA 04 TL know whether their XM radio works in Canada (I mean it doesnt stop working at the border, I assume)?
It works in parts of Canada and even mexico, but without the ground repeaters, in big cities you may get dropouts.

It is also not actually sold in these places.

XM did mention a Canadian alliance that would provide their service in canada soon.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Thanks Mike - I guess when it comes to Canada my TL will only work with an aftermarket XM radio - too bad
Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

I have purchased a TL with navigation, and as far as i know they are all pre-wired for XM (am i right), but it is not availabe in Canada, so i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get one set up in the us, all it is missing is the atenna right? Is the stereo system the sme in US and Canada, and do you think this is possible? Any info?

Thank To All!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lovetl
I have purchased a TL with navigation, and as far as i know they are all pre-wired for XM (am i right), but it is not availabe in Canada, so i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get one set up in the us, all it is missing is the atenna right? Is the stereo system the sme in US and Canada, and do you think this is possible? Any info?

Thank To All!
So are you in the US or Canada??? Your "location" field says US, but you're asking this incomrehensible question that no-one with a US car can be asking. XM is not "pre-wired", it's fully built into the US cars with or without Navigation. There's a BIG XM button on your dash. And, of course, there's the manual that tells people who read it how to use XM.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by dulnev
So are you in the US or Canada??? Your "location" field says US, but you're asking this incomrehensible question that no-one with a US car can be asking. XM is not "pre-wired", it's fully built into the US cars with or without Navigation. There's a BIG XM button on your dash. And, of course, there's the manual that tells people who read it how to use XM.
I live in Canada and ther is no XM so i want to know if there is a way of getting it.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lovetl
I live in Canada and ther is no XM so i want to know if there is a way of getting it.
Firt of all, you may want to fix your profile to reflect the fact that you're in Canada. If you look on the left of the screen where your post is, your "Location" says "US".

Did you check whether there is XM satellite coverage in Canada?

If there is, I suspect you're still out of luck. Getting XM on the Canadian TL is going to be more of a correct software problem than hardware. Even if the XM receiver is part of the stereo that you have, how could you get the firmware/software for your radio/NAVI to get the XM mode activated, show the XM channels, etc. Seems totally impossible to me.

Even if it were possible, would you really want to risk voiding the factory warranty?

Getting a $90 XM all-in-one unit that can connect to any car stereo is probably your only option.