Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are xenon lights stock on 06 tl?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are xenon lights stock on 06 tl?

hey guys, bought my 2006 tl and paid it off about 6 months ago. it was completely stock. Since this is my first car (I'm 18) I don't know much but so i need some help. The low beam lights on the stock lights arent that bright and the fog lights are a nasty yellow. I want to replace both of them with the brightest lights avaiable. i looked on ebay and there are 2 kinds of 9006 bulbs for the fog lights. one kind are xenon and the other are halogen. Can i just buy a 12000k xenon light to replace the oem yellow bulb? or do i have to buy the HID conversion kit. I have replaced every light in the cabin with a blue bulbs so i want my headlights to be blue
Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
im pretty sure your low beam are hid(xenon)...all you will have to do is change the bulb to another temprature......5000k,8000k.10000k...etc....the fog is halogen....you could do what ever you want to them....
Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
the low beams are HID, but just a little warning about the k rating. the higher k you go, the less useable light you get.

the stock k rating is 4300k, a lot of guys wont go past 6k including me.

as for the fogs, it all depends on the look you wanna go for. do you want two blue HIDs lights coming from the same housing, or do you want to upgrade the halogen bulbs?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kvnly2
hey guys, bought my 2006 tl and paid it off about 6 months ago. it was completely stock. Since this is my first car (I'm 18) I don't know much but so i need some help. The low beam lights on the stock lights arent that bright and the fog lights are a nasty yellow. I want to replace both of them with the brightest lights avaiable. i looked on ebay and there are 2 kinds of 9006 bulbs for the fog lights. one kind are xenon and the other are halogen. Can i just buy a 12000k xenon light to replace the oem yellow bulb? or do i have to buy the HID conversion kit. I have replaced every light in the cabin with a blue bulbs so i want my headlights to be blue
Like others have said you will lose light output by going with a higher K bulb, With most d2s bulbs as they age they decrease in lumens. You would most likely get brighter light by replacing the bulb with a new phillips 85122+ or you could get some 50 watt aftermarket ballasts. I personally think the TL has one of the best projectors available. Others like those in the S2K might be brighter/wider but they are not bixenon. Compared to other oem bixenons TL's Rock (imo).
Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

alright cool, thanks so much for the info. well i want the brightest lights available for the low beam HIDS, i believe either the 6000k or the 8000k have that blue-ish white tint? and for the fog lights, i want them to match the low beams. What do you recommend?

Also, how do i replace these bulbs? I have some idea but don't want to break anything. instructions for this noob would be great
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Race Director

alright cool, thanks so much for the info. well i want the brightest lights available for the low beam HIDS, i believe either the 6000k or the 8000k have that blue-ish white tint? and for the fog lights, i want them to match the low beams. What do you recommend?

Also, how do i replace these bulbs? I have some idea but don't want to break anything. instructions for this noob would be great
get the hid conversion kit from hidextra.com. go to the vendor directory on top and look them up. great high quality kit
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Race Director

heres how 6k lows and fogs look. sorry for the cell phone quality pics

the bulbs are kaixen D2R 6000k and the fogs are hidextra 9006 6000k
Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

06 tl - best low beam and fog light bulbs?

i am a noob and i bought an 06 tl six months ago. it is completely stock so the mods are coming along. I want to replace the low beams and the fog light bulbs. I was informed that the low beams are HIDs so i want the brightest bulbs available. someone told me the fog lights are halogens and not HIDS so i want them to match the low beams. ! also, how do i replace the bulbs? on my 05 camry, i just twist and give it a lil pull and the bulb popped out. What do i do for an 06 tl?
thanks in advance guys!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Race Director

i am a noob and i bought an 06 tl six months ago. it is completely stock so the mods are coming along. I want to replace the low beams and the fog light bulbs. I was informed that the low beams are HIDs so i want the brightest bulbs available. someone told me the fog lights are halogens and not HIDS so i want them to match the low beams. ! also, how do i replace the bulbs? on my 05 camry, i just twist and give it a lil pull and the bulb popped out. What do i do for an 06 tl?
thanks in advance guys!
to change the lows, you will need a 10mm torx bit?(someone chime in), then remove the back cover to the headlights (the one that says high voltage) and swap them out.

not sure how hard it is on the newer tl, but it was pretty easy on mine
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The 3G TL does not have low beam or high beam headlamps. What it does have are bi-level lamps and yes, they most certainly are HID (xenon) lamps. What passes for low or high beams is a flap which in its normal position ("low beam") is down. When the driver selects the "high beam" position, the flat is raised. So the lamps are neither low beam nor high beam. It is the flat which does the work.

As for the fogs on the '06, they are NOT HID ("xenon") lamps but rather halogen lamps which means incandescent lamps - i.e., they have a resistance filament. You can buy higher output 9006 lamps to fit the fogs (I have done just this) and get more light. I went with the Philips Premium lamps to get more light output in front of and to the sides of the car. They do a very good job. The new Sylvania SilverStar Ultra lamp looks promising.

BTW, 9006 lamps are not available as HID ("xenon") lamps.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The 3G TL does not have low beam or high beam headlamps. What it does have are bi-level lamps and yes, they most certainly are HID (xenon) lamps. What passes for low or high beams is a flap which in its normal position ("low beam") is down. When the driver selects the "high beam" position, the flat is raised. So the lamps are neither low beam nor high beam. It is the flat which does the work.

As for the fogs on the '06, they are NOT HID ("xenon") lamps but rather halogen lamps which means incandescent lamps - i.e., they have a resistance filament. You can buy higher output 9006 lamps to fit the fogs (I have done just this) and get more light. I went with the Philips Premium lamps to get more light output in front of and to the sides of the car. They do a very good job. The new Sylvania SilverStar Ultra lamp looks promising.

i ran those for over a year before i converted my fogs to HID, very bright light, but just as pricey as the HID kit i bought. silverstars 49/pair, hidextra conversion kit/60
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
i ran those for over a year before i converted my fogs to HID, very bright light, but just as pricey as the HID kit i bought. silverstars 49/pair, hidextra conversion kit/60
Wow, I didn't know they were that expensive. I haven't seen any yet but then again, I haven't looked for them. I thought I would stop by an auto store tomorrow just to check them out as possibles for my Ford Ranger pickup.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Race Director

Wow, I didn't know they were that expensive. I haven't seen any yet but then again, I haven't looked for them. I thought I would stop by an auto store tomorrow just to check them out as possibles for my Ford Ranger pickup.
yea, if u wanna see how they look, look at the early pics in my album

though expensive, i bought a pair for my gfs camry sport because she doesnt like hids. made a world of difference.

theres also standard silverstars for 39/pair
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

yea, if u wanna see how they look, look at the early pics in my album

though expensive, i bought a pair for my gfs camry sport because she doesnt like hids. made a world of difference.

theres also standard silverstars for 39/pair
I've tried the standard SilverStars in my wife's former BMW. The Philips Premiums actually put out a little more light. I use the Philips Premiums in my '04 TL fogs and they really do a great job.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Race Director

I've tried the standard SilverStars in my wife's former BMW. The Philips Premiums actually put out a little more light. I use the Philips Premiums in my '04 TL fogs and they really do a great job.
the one thing i do notice about the ultras is that they burn out quick (i drive with HIDS+fogs on..looks cool ) i went through 3 pairs in a year lol
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
10th Gear

Funny thing on my '06 TL the lamp type is not 9006. Instead it is 9005, luckly was able to exchange it to the store. The car was mfg Jan 2006, is anyone has this diff spec as well? just curious
anyway, its now converted to 6000K which give bluish white light output.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

the one thing i do notice about the ultras is that they burn out quick (i drive with HIDS+fogs on..looks cool ) i went through 3 pairs in a year lol
Whoaa, thanks for that info. I installed the Philips Premiums in my '04 TL fogs maybe four years ago because I wanted to put as much light as possible on the road and to the sides (we have a lot of wild 4-legged creatures were I live). Up until this past September, I used them every morning on the way to work and I still have the original set.

So thanks again for your getback.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nugrahaa
Funny thing on my '06 TL the lamp type is not 9006. Instead it is 9005, luckly was able to exchange it to the store. The car was mfg Jan 2006, is anyone has this diff spec as well? just curious
anyway, its now converted to 6000K which give bluish white light output.
The 9005 lamps are for high beam use and therefore, burn at a higher temperature. If you bought the car used, perhaps the previous owner installed those. If they are the originals, someone on the production line screwed up. The owner's manual specifies HB4 for the fog lamps and that is a 9006 lamp.

At least that is true for the '04 and '05 models.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Race Director

Whoaa, thanks for that info. I installed the Philips Premiums in my '04 TL fogs maybe four years ago because I wanted to put as much light as possible on the road and to the sides (we have a lot of wild 4-legged creatures were I live). Up until this past September, I used them every morning on the way to work and I still have the original set.

So thanks again for your getback.
no prob bro, the main reason why mine go out so quick is that i leave my lights on, so even in the day, my hids/fogs are on. why i do it, i dunno, i just do it merely for looks, but i make a lot of short trips and my lights are always going on and off..guess thats why im having ballast problems. lol fail

but under normal use, i highly reccomend the silverstar ultras as an hid alternative. theyre suppose to outlast standard silverstars by 30% or something like that
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

no prob bro, the main reason why mine go out so quick is that i leave my lights on, so even in the day, my hids/fogs are on. why i do it, i dunno, i just do it merely for looks, but i make a lot of short trips and my lights are always going on and off..guess thats why im having ballast problems. lol fail

but under normal use, i highly reccomend the silverstar ultras as an hid alternative. theyre suppose to outlast standard silverstars by 30% or something like that
Yep, that'll do it. You want to avoid turning your headlamps on and off any more than necessary since they are HID's. That means to also avoid flashing your headlamps when they are off. Definitely will shorten ballast life.