3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF: Stretched service interval = voided powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry WTF: Stretched service interval = voided powertrain warranty?

I've had a relatively blissful 18 months with my CPO 08 TL, other than getting the torque converter replaced, which was covered under warranty. Now having a problem with the dealer I go for service. My service indicator (B1) came on a couple of weeks ago, at about 65k miles; I have a job and a life and haven't been able to get the car serviced since then, and wasn't able to get an appointment for this weekend, so scheduled the service for next weekend. Today the indicator started telling me that service was past due - currently says by 21 miles. But the dealer's now telling me that, because it's been 7k miles since my last service, I've missed the interval and voided the powertrain warranty. Is this possibly correct? First, my car tells me I'm only 21 miles past the interval - and it would already have been in the dealer if they'd had a spot, but they were booked this weekend - but the dealer is telling me I'm over 1,000 miles late. Second, how the F could delaying an oil change by a week void the warranty? I paid extra for the CPO warranty, and have had the car serviced religiously at an Acura dealer since I bought it 30k miles ago. Do they really expect you to drop everything you're doing (I've worked each of the last three weekends) to spend an afternoon at the dealership the second they say so, or else the $2k I spent on the CPO and warranty is void?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
alot of people got hype up with car being CPO or 100k miles powertrain warranty but in reality they also has sentence with small print say *services must be follow dealer recommendation date using OEM part*, this is another reason why my acura dealer offer that they can buy the car I want from a Honda dealer and make it CPO, I then declined. Dealer will try to find anything so then can get out that warranty even you put a K&N drop in filter.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
that's crap, 21 miles extra for an oil change is nothing, go to another dealer. Even 7k isn't that bad. MAYBE if something broke that could be traced back to the over due oil change, but if everything is fine and they're saying this, I would call them on it.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Astigmatism
I've had a relatively blissful 18 months with my CPO 08 TL, other than getting the torque converter replaced, which was covered under warranty. Now having a problem with the dealer I go for service. My service indicator (B1) came on a couple of weeks ago, at about 65k miles; I have a job and a life and haven't been able to get the car serviced since then, and wasn't able to get an appointment for this weekend, so scheduled the service for next weekend. Today the indicator started telling me that service was past due - currently says by 21 miles. But the dealer's now telling me that, because it's been 7k miles since my last service, I've missed the interval and voided the powertrain warranty. Is this possibly correct? First, my car tells me I'm only 21 miles past the interval - and it would already have been in the dealer if they'd had a spot, but they were booked this weekend - but the dealer is telling me I'm over 1,000 miles late. Second, how the F could delaying an oil change by a week void the warranty? I paid extra for the CPO warranty, and have had the car serviced religiously at an Acura dealer since I bought it 30k miles ago. Do they really expect you to drop everything you're doing (I've worked each of the last three weekends) to spend an afternoon at the dealership the second they say so, or else the $2k I spent on the CPO and warranty is void?
They are full of crap. Did you talk to the service manager himself? Tell them you'll go to Acura Client Services and watch them backtrack...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
services are due based upon the MID you need to make allot of noise. there is no basis for that crap. Its an Acura dealer? let them know you will spread the word and hook them up with Acurazine. they need to realize the power of the internet.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
lmao... that's not even a legit reason the void the warranty, the only time the warranty is voided because the vehicle is "broken down" and they believe the fact that the oil change is the reason why. Logic being, you messed it up; so why do they have to pay for your stupidity. They cannot just throw a warranty out the door like that, unless there is something else you are not mentioning.

What did you mess up? or is there something else messing up? anything you are looking to be fixed under warranty?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TrustinHFDJ
lmao... that's not even a legit reason the void the warranty, the only time the warranty is voided because the vehicle is "broken down" and they believe the fact that the oil change is the reason why. Logic being, you messed it up; so why do they have to pay for your stupidity. They cannot just throw a warranty out the door like that, unless there is something else you are not mentioning.

What did you mess up? or is there something else messing up? anything you are looking to be fixed under warranty?
Thanks for all the responses, every one of which I agree with, btw. And no, there's nothing I'm not saying, as far as I know - in fact, the dealer hasn't even seen the car, the service rep just told me my powertrain warranty was voided based on the mileage. I don't know of anything that needs fixing on the car, whether in the power train and under (voided) warranty or otherwise. I'm scheduled to take my car in for the B1 service next Saturday. Maybe I should just avoid getting into a fight about it until the point that they try to deny warranty coverage on a particular item.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
They are full of crap. Did you talk to the service manager himself? Tell them you'll go to Acura Client Services and watch them backtrack...
I would def do what nfnsquared said. Threaten to go to Acura Client Services, you be surprise how fast their tone will change.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
MIDS indicated service past due so they have a point. Best best to is to POLITELY talk to Acura Client Services and tell them the situation. Getting all bent = less likely they will help you.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to get them to warranty. Is your B1 service itself paid for under warranty?

But regarding the notification panel, those things go past due in a matter of days. Its not like jeopardy!

This is why I dont buy warranties because you are still subject to their approval. Just because you bought a $2k plan, it's doesnt automatically mean you get it all back. They ALWAYS push back and use some technicality to not do the work! Most dealers suck anyway. I would try to find another dealer.

What was wrong with your torque converter? What was the car doing? How many miles when it broke?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
yeah late oil change void the powertrain warranty = BS.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
low blow IMO. u should have gotten grand father'd in
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
FWIW typically warranties *recommend* services at specific intervals. That's a far cry from requiring service at those intervals. I know know how the CPO is worded but normally missing your oil change by should have no effect on warranties. Of course I would read the exact wording of your warranty.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Sounds like another dealership trying to snake their way out of the warranty coverage.
The following users liked this post:
TrustinHFDJ (08-28-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
I would tell them to go pound sand and contact Acura Client Services.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to mention that there is nothing to stop someone from resetting the MID whenever they want and then changing the oil when they get around to it.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the responses, every one of which I agree with, btw. And no, there's nothing I'm not saying, as far as I know - in fact, the dealer hasn't even seen the car, the service rep just told me my powertrain warranty was voided based on the mileage. I don't know of anything that needs fixing on the car, whether in the power train and under (voided) warranty or otherwise. I'm scheduled to take my car in for the B1 service next Saturday. Maybe I should just avoid getting into a fight about it until the point that they try to deny warranty coverage on a particular item.
any updates on this?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ff4930
any updates on this?
Not yet. The car's scheduled to go in for service this Saturday, and I'm borrowing a relative's car in the meantime for my driving needs this week to keep the past-due mileage down, as I don't want to give them any more of an argument. Again, no warranty repairs required that I'm currently aware of, but I'll bring the car in on Saturday, have another discussion with them then, and report back to the board. If they're nice about it and it was just one guy being a jerk, I'm inclined not to make too much of an issue of it (or publicly shame the dealership), but we'll see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the backup.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not yet. The car's scheduled to go in for service this Saturday, and I'm borrowing a relative's car in the meantime for my driving needs this week to keep the past-due mileage down, as I don't want to give them any more of an argument. Again, no warranty repairs required that I'm currently aware of, but I'll bring the car in on Saturday, have another discussion with them then, and report back to the board. If they're nice about it and it was just one guy being a jerk, I'm inclined not to make too much of an issue of it (or publicly shame the dealership), but we'll see what happens.

holy crap, my car is currently 1,200 miles past due the b1 service and now i am scared shitless my dealer is gonna do the same damn thing to my warranty !! FML
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Does the MID reset on a long battery pull?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
that's focking shady man.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehvine
Does the MID reset on a long battery pull?
I would have to say no, my battery has been disconnected for months at a time over the past year and the oil life has not reset. The trip computer does, but not oil life.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
I would have to say no, my battery has been disconnected for months at a time over the past year and the oil life has not reset. The trip computer does, but not oil life.
@tehvine, nice try bro, but these arent honda civic lol ,im not gonna lie though the thought did cross my mind, but i found my answer after searching
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

My tsx has gone past due a few times during the warranty períod. The most was almost 2,000 miles. The dealer I took it to never said the warranty would be voided.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Cruisin'

Update:

SO, this is a great example of the importance of client communications. Turns out that the dealership I get my car serviced at, Prime Acura North in North Hampton, NH, has a program where, if you buy the car there and get all of your service done there, including oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles, they give you a free lifetime powertrain warranty - and yes, to keep that warranty effective, you need to get your services done within 5000 miles. I didn't buy my car there, so was never eligible for the program in the first place, but apparently the guy I spoke to last week didn't know that, and told me that my "powertrain warranty" - meaning the dealer's lifetime powertrain coverage - was now void, notwithstanding that I never had their warranty in the first place, and making it sound to me like he was claiming my Acura warranty was void instead.

Crisis averted.
The following users liked this post:
TrustinHFDJ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Racer

Update:

SO, this is a great example of the importance of client communications. Turns out that the dealership I get my car serviced at, Prime Acura North in North Hampton, NH, has a program where, if you buy the car there and get all of your service done there, including oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles, they give you a free lifetime powertrain warranty - and yes, to keep that warranty effective, you need to get your services done within 5000 miles. I didn't buy my car there, so was never eligible for the program in the first place, but apparently the guy I spoke to last week didn't know that, and told me that my "powertrain warranty" - meaning the dealer's lifetime powertrain coverage - was now void, notwithstanding that I never had their warranty in the first place, and making it sound to me like he was claiming my Acura warranty was void instead.

Crisis averted.
glad to hear this. It would be absurd for the cpo power train warranty to be voided if you dont bring it in exactly at that moment. That person was quick to jump the gun and say your warranty is void without making sure he has all the facts, which is a fail on his part.