Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF am I supposed to do now!!!!!?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF am I supposed to do now!!!!!?????

I have not posted here is a long time. And only a couple of times when I first joined. But this was the first place (besides the dealership) I felt I could go to:

1. Vent
2. Share
3. Ask for advice based on everyone's experience

So I get home, park my 2004 TL. I am inside for about 40 minutes and BAM! 17year old kid coming around the curve both to fast and too wide to correct himself. Hits my TL head on. His airbags deploy suprised he was not hurt. Bottom line...WTF am I supposed to do now!!!!!!!

Objects can be replaced...but its my time, inconvenience and the thought of the dimished Trade-In value of my TL now that has my head spinning.

Probably the biggest thing that will be replaced are the Radiator Supports and the mounts on the engine and of course EVERY PANEL on the front end of the car. My fear is that they will not be able to match the paint. They are saying only $6,223.00 worth of damage. I bought the car pre-driven a year and half ago. Not enough paid off to trade in and break even.

What now.... My baby...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that sucks....hopefully you can get it fixed swiftly..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 303 Likes on 177 Posts
I would sue the parent of that 17yo kid.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Damn that sucks....hopefully you can get it fixed swiftly..
Well, they are saying that is going to be done by the 18th........we'll see
Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ua6spec
You know and the funny thing about it is someone else just asked me today if his parents had even called to see if everything was okay. They probably dont even know about it. I am basically letting my insurance go after him. He had some rinky dink insurance.

I think I may need to make a call.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knoelle12
You know and the funny thing about it is someone else just asked me today if his parents had even called to see if everything was okay. They probably dont even know about it. I am basically letting my insurance go after him. He had some rinky dink insurance.

Good call on having your insurance go after him....maybe you can have your insurance capture the diminished value of the car from his rinky dink insurance...i remember there was a post on AZ not too long ago where a dude got diminished value for his TL....
Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The parents- probably under legal advice- cannot contact you- the injured party
As soon at attornys are mentioned- no contact is allowed between the parties- only thru the lawyers

Since you are not actually physically injured as you were not even in the car-
what exactly do you expect?
An apology? Thats admitting fault - bad move if they suspect they will be held liable for extra damages not covered by insurance.
Maybe the road had wet leaves or the driver dodged a child running into the street- any numbers of defenses- get it?

As for the repairs and paint match- thats what body shops do!
If hidden damage not found on initial visual inspection- they will report and get fixed by insurance
Usually they even buff the whole car out to match the paint

And you can bet his parents know about it, between the Police report I assume was made, and the Insurance calling for detailed story and pics from them, to see if your damage claim matches his cars damage etc.

As long as the shop says they have approval from his Insurance- you are ok

Either his or your insurance should provide rental car during repairs
Call your company- they deal direct with the other company- not your job- theirs!!!

Good Luck
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Ouch man sorry to hear that.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't matter about any kind of defense the boy can allege that he has, bottom line for the insurance company is your car was parked and for whatever reason, he hit your car! Why is not a mitigating factor in deciding if they will fix her car unless another car was involved, which does not appear to be the case.

What IS important for you, is to establish a contact (agent/rep) at the insurance company and get a claim number. After that, the ball will get rolling. Getting a claim number is your first hurdle. From there, repairs are just around the corner.

Contact his insurance company first thing in the morning, unless you have a lawyer, then he or she must do it. From there, if they are accepting the claim, your car will be fixed by them. If they are not accepting the claim, then your insurance company will fix it (don't worry about paint and stuff - it will be done correctly, as the other person said...it's what they do!).

It's a car, you weren't in it, it can be fixed, cover the basics as I said previously, and you will be well on your way to riding again soon in your baby!

I just had my car repaired last week because someone hit it. I was afraid of all the things you were and it worked out ok! Either your insurance company will fix it and hound them, or the at fault insurance company will.

Sorry for your loss, but rest your nerves! Good luck! Post results ok!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I crashed my car last summer and I had the same fears concerning the repairs running thorugh my head but don't fret...

Here's the damage from my accident:

And here she is after the repairs:

Just find a reputable repair shop and your baby will come back as good as new. Good luck!!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 AM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone for the word sof encouragement. Couple of points:

1. My insurance is taking care of everything right now and will go after his insurance to reimburse them.

2. I have a claim number already. That was taken care of Sunday morning. Just had to wait for the auto body to open on Monday to have it towed.

3. I believe my biggest concern was damage to the engine and surrounding parts based on the impact and the forcing of everything being pushed to the rear of the car.

As far as the paint is concerned, I had a very reputable body shop tell once beforewhen I was having little knicj taken out of my rear bumber that all they could do was "match" the paint color and that they could not get the exact paint color that the manufacturer used. As a result there would be a slight difference in the color. They showed me that (unbeknowst to me) my rear bumber had been sanded and painted before at some point.

There was a very slight difference. It was a duller look. I explained that I didnt under any circumstances want a dull paint on my front end that didnt match the rest of the car. They assured me it is going to look fine.

We'll see. But overall..you all have reassured me! Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
dam 17 year old's .
Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Get A Lawyer! Sue Sue Sue
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 AM
The Boss

knoelle12,
Your main concern should be if there is any damange to the engine. It depends on how fast the teenager was driving and the force of impact. From the looks of it, I doubt you have to worry about your engine or transmission being damanged at all.
Things are usually worse than what they seem to be, besides the headaches, inconvenience and time, you will be ok since cars can be fixed and replaced. If you plan on driving the TL forever, then you shouldn't have to worry about trade in value. All cars depreciate regardless, and will only effect you if you plan on trading or getting rid of her before her time.
The accident obviously wasn't your fault so you definitely will be ok.
I am sorry to hear about this incident and hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Believe me when I tell you I would be pretty steamed if my car was hit as your was. Don't fret too much, as your insurance company will take care of it all, including going after the 17 year old's insurance company. He will be lucky if anyone insures him after this, or it will cost a hell of a lot of $$$ to do so. Lastly, all manufacturer paints have codes to them, so matching paint shouldn't really pose a problem (the only exception being pearl white colors, which can be hard to match). If your damage estimate was in the 6K range (and from the looks of the pic), it looks primarily like body damage, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Another prime example of why insurance rates for under age 25 drivers are as exhorbitant as they are.

I had a similar situation with my ex-Honda, only the girl who hit me while I was parked was also arrested at the scene for DWI and DWD (drinking while driving) as she had open liquor in her car.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
aw1
Pro

I would have acura fix the car and not a body shop. Just my
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced

I smell an '07 'face lift' for your car (or a-spec)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Racer

It looks like your frame in the front was shifted to the side (from the misaligned fenders). Make sure you aske for a test drive before you pick it up from the body shop and have someone follow you to see if the car tracks straight or crooked.
I have seen way too many cars where the body shop does a half ass job on frame work and just adjusts the steering wheel and alignment to work with the condition of the bent frame. This is even in expensive cars.
Last week I saw a MB 500SL that tracked very crooked on the road. It was a sad sight.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by aw1
I would have acura fix the car and not a body shop. Just my
Typically, dealers don't have their own inside body shops, but rather use outside independent body shops they have deals with.

For example, here in the NYC area, Benzel Busch and Lexus of Englewood use a large independent shop in the Bronx called Lofey's. These 2 dealers account for the vast majority of their work.

When Acura of Manhattan fucked up my roof the 1st time I went there for roof rattle issues thanks to the 'B' mechanic's dropping the sun roof panel on top of the car without a blanket, they had a shop on East 10th St they do business with repaint my entire roof.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by DMZ
Typically, dealers don't have their own inside body shops, but rather use outside independent body shops they have deals with.

For example, here in the NYC area, Benzel Busch and Lexus of Englewood use a large independent shop in the Bronx called Lofey's. These 2 dealers account for the vast majority of their work.

When Acura of Manhattan fucked up my roof the 1st time I went there for roof rattle issues thanks to the 'B' mechanic's dropping the sun roof panel on top of the car without a blanket, they had a shop on East 10th St they do business with repaint my entire roof.
The nearest Acura dealership to me (Los Gatos Acura) does have an internal body shop, which is where I had my bumpers redone, but you bring up a good point. I'm sure many dealers do not have this. At any rate, I would just demand that you get factory replacement parts so that there is little to no issue as far as matching paint is concerned.

Also, I would remove those headlights yourself and sell them! They look like they're in good shape and could fetch you $300 easy for the set -- assuming nothing is broken.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
10th Gear

Well I asked the shop about the parts they would be using and they assured me that the would be using all NEW parts. Which is a Great thing. (is this the 07' facelift?)

They have already started the work. BUT what I will do is take the car to the dealership immediately to look over the mechanical work. If it is not right...its going back.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
Good call on having your insurance go after him....maybe you can have your insurance capture the diminished value of the car from his rinky dink insurance...i remember there was a post on AZ not too long ago where a dude got diminished value for his TL....

i was the guy with a TL who got the diminished value from the other person's insurance. basically what they will do is send out a private upraiser to upraise your car as if it were never in an accident and then one in an accident ... they will give u the difference of the two. I got 2100 dollars, but my TL was an 07 type s

good luck man ... sad to see another wrecked TL
Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Well I asked the shop about the parts they would be using and they assured me that the would be using all NEW parts. Which is a Great thing. (is this the 07' facelift?)

They have already started the work. BUT what I will do is take the car to the dealership immediately to look over the mechanical work. If it is not right...its going back.
Go grab those headlights!!! I'm telling you, make something positive happen out of this. If you don't go retrieve them, someone else will and make money off YOUR property. Your car is going to be worth notably less money now that's it'll be a vehicle reported as "in a serious collision" so you might as well recoup some of that cash you're going to lose down the road.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 303 Likes on 177 Posts

If you have a lawyer that you know of, have your lawyer take care of everything. Why do you need to deal with all these hassles. Just have your own lawyer and have them call your and their insurance. I mean if you talk to them they're gonna lag on your case where as for a lawyer they have all the legality of what to do. So...just try it.

Good luck and sorry for what happen. I would beat the crap out of the 17 yo.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
Sry to see that... On the brighter side of things... you have a reason to put '07 front bumper and setup on your car now...
Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by ua6spec
I hate when people say shit like that. It's not the parent's fault that the kid was a dipshit. And beating the "crap" out of him will NOT repair the car - might land ur ass in jail, though. Objects are just objects.

Anyway, let your attorney handle it and let us know how things go. Good luck, man.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

damn................
Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

Well the latest is that they are targeting May 18th as the day I will get the car back. Man-o-man. Every time I see a TL on the street...I am like....Dayum dayum dayuuuumm!!! hahahaha!

I am cool though! I am not even mad about it at this point. Thanks to everyone who replied! You gave me some good insight.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
YEAH waste your money!!!

What are you going to sue for? Emotional Stress?

It's pretty clear that his insurance company will have to pay for the repairs, and they will have to pay diminished value. No one was in the car. What exactly do you think he can sue for? If he was in the car at the time there may be a possibility of suing for injury, but I can tell you even that will not be as easy as you think. Anyway it's irrelevant.

All they are required to do is fix it, and make up for the lose in value now that it will have a accident repair attached to it's vin from here on. By law that is all they are obligated to do. Trying for anything else will result in wasted money on his part in lawyer fees. The crazy lawsuits the media publicizes, are about 1 in 100 million. Unfortunately people think this is the norm, and can sue for whatever they want, when they want. In reality you can, but don't expect to win.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica

A very interesting article on Dimished Value........

http://www.statefarm.com/about/media...r/dimvalue.asp
Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveP66

A very interesting article on Dimished Value........

http://www.statefarm.com/about/media...r/dimvalue.asp
Yep...but its written by an insurance compnay so for me, its like LOL! But seriously,,it did have some good info in it, but I am totaly in disagreement about state farms claim about approved body shops...here's an article regarding that

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ntTellYou.aspx
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Yep...but its written by an insurance compnay so for me, its like LOL! But seriously,,it did have some good info in it, but I am totaly in disagreement about state farms claim about approved body shops...here's an article regarding that

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ntTellYou.aspx

I didn't go through the entire article yet myself but I'm glad I'm in control when choosing a body shop - I would never go where the insurance company reccomends......
Old 05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I hate people like you...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM
10th Gear

Update! I JUST got my car back...

1. Took it to a pretty reputable shop. They did a good job up until they tried to put a universal part on the car (which I told them not to do) and the part did not work. they put the entire car back together and then realized....the part did not work. They had to take it completely apart again and order the part directly from Acura. hmmmmmm Set the delivery date back by a whole week.

2. Took the car out for a ride on the expressway today. i guess it still drives the same.

3. The dang fuel light is flashing and the car thinks it is on empty...... jeesh
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
maybe i'm too over protective of my car, maybe i'm a bad person, or just a asshole.

but if was sitting in my car, i would have gotten out and lost it. when an 60 year old woman rear-ended me... i let her have it... good (verbally obviously). but like WTF, why should anybodys car be fcked up because some dumb ass doesnt know how to drive..

drivers test need to be a lil more stern and actually test peoples skills. if you cant drive, STAY OFF THE ROAD.

like 60% of accidents are caused by teenagers and old people...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 AM
I have car ADD

i too was once a teen... dont get me wrong, but i never did anything stupid that i couldnt handle and wreck my car.... or somebody elses car,

or drive like a maniac...

i waited til i got older for that )) j/k
Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by wilsel
YEAH waste your money!!!

What are you going to sue for? Emotional Stress?

It's pretty clear that his insurance company will have to pay for the repairs, and they will have to pay diminished value. No one was in the car. What exactly do you think he can sue for? If he was in the car at the time there may be a possibility of suing for injury, but I can tell you even that will not be as easy as you think. Anyway it's irrelevant.

All they are required to do is fix it, and make up for the lose in value now that it will have a accident repair attached to it's vin from here on. By law that is all they are obligated to do. Trying for anything else will result in wasted money on his part in lawyer fees. The crazy lawsuits the media publicizes, are about 1 in 100 million. Unfortunately people think this is the norm, and can sue for whatever they want, when they want. In reality you can, but don't expect to win.
no insurance company paid me for diminished value. i was rear ended at a red light. sure the womans insurance paid for it.. but that was it.... maybe NY is different. i am in the process of sueing her insurance company for the diminished value or the car, which was like 2400... the case is pro-bono, so i dont pay if i lose.

im not out looking to get rich off the accident, but i want some money for the permanent damage done to the car and its VIN # . my car was 06 with less than 1k miles on it. and only 21 days old!!