wrecked or totaled?! D:

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 11:26 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

wrecked or totaled?! D:

the other day i was driving around, i was goin about 83 i think on a 50 zone which i feel was really a dumb idea on my part and i hit a pot whole and i have a set of stock rims i just got the car to in late febuary btw, and i went over it with my front wheels it was totally fine but when i went over it with the back wheels the whole car just slipped out i think if i remember clearly from what happened i went straight into the side of the curb and rode up it a lil but, but what im getting to is a list of everything i f***ed up which is my front bumper, my grille, headlights, axles cause i couldnt put the spare on right, the passenger side rims, side skirts, the fender, my whole passenger side is f'd up thank you god for air bags though, i need new seats, and my door i think i mentioned that already.. but what im getting at is does anyone think the insurance company may claim it totaled cause i was talking to my dad and he was telling me that they may claim it totaled if something is wrong with the bottom end of the motor, and does anyone know from experience when the air bags are reinstalled by a shop will they work exactly as factory put them in, because im afraid if something like that happens again there willl be no way that my cars airbags will be the same ever again.. so if someone could help me out with some feedback that would be great.
Old 06-28-2008 | 11:37 AM
Race Director

First of all I hope your alright after something like that.

We are going to need pics to see how bad the damage is. However, going that fast I wouldn't be suprized if you totaled it.
Old 06-28-2008 | 11:43 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

You're concerned if your Insurance will total it? Didn't you call them out to the scene? If this was caused by you hitting a pothole, you should let them know that. I hope they went out fo the scene and saw the road.

Also if an adjustor was there they usually give you an idea of what will happen.
Old 06-28-2008 | 12:11 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

ya im jus fine. a lil hit on the head, but i think my dad almost had a flippin heart attack and no i called my insurance company and they didnt come out to the scene which is a buncha crap.. im goin to the shop that i towed it to today so ill get the pics, but there is a lot of damage for a new car thats what i think everything is just out of place, some of the parts look totally useless and some look as if i could re-use them but im not gonna do that hopefully insurance will get everything cause i know adjustors from the past i had a g35 b4 and i got rear ended by a big azz truck, when they came to see the car they were so picky about what they would and wouldnt cover but i later found a shop that has a very good rep. with talking it out with the adjustors they point out every little detail, and ask them to look at every lil thing, so this time im hoping things will go in my favor. but i will post pics. i kinda want them to claim it totaled for some reason. they said they would give me market value but insurance is a bi**h they probly gimme like 27K for a car i paid 38k for thats atleast what trade in value is cause i member that from when i tried trading for a type-s.
Old 06-28-2008 | 12:48 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Omg..sounds horrible.....time for a type S
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:05 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

ya i think this time it s time for a type-s, but idk i was thinking about a 3 series but thats a whole nother issue, i wanna know what there gonna do with the car. i hope if they claim it totaled there gimme a good price and if not and they repair it they better gimme every lil ting thats messed up cause im not payin insurance for no reason
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:16 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by mmp1214
i was goin about 83 i think on a 50 zone
ya i think this time it s time for a type-s

Being 17, and not respecting the vehicle you have - I think it's time for a 95 cavalier

I understand that shit happens - but hopefully this has opened your eyes a little bit about why we're not just a bunch of asshats telling people not to speed and do stupid stuff. It's because people do stupid stuff, and eventually it catches up and bites you.

Probably not totalled.. autobody shops have a magical way of fixing stuff. Just out of curiosity though - did you hit something? You mention you hit the curb, but talk about your doors, grill, bumper, headlights and such being all messed up too. Wondered if you hit a sign or pole or something. That may make some difference too.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Being 17, and not respecting the vehicle you have - I think it's time for a 95 cavalier
Agreed. I'm sure you've already had your fair share of criticism regarding the matter, so I won't delve into that any more. Thankfully you were able to walk away from this, but at 17, maybe a Bimmer or Type-S is too much for your maturity level. Wait till your older for the nice car.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:43 PM
Drifting

It won't be totalled based on the damage you are seeing, it will cost a pretty penny.

In terms of insurance putting in comprehensive ie. no insurance change. What does the police report say? Does it show excessive speeding? did you get a ticket for that? Does it show the cause? Police report will show cause of wreck and party at fault, or in ur case was it the road, or excess speeding.

If it is put in as a collision, your insurance gonna be out the roof, and then yes a 95 cavalier with liability only will be the cheapest option
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:47 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

i completely understand you guys and ya shytt does happen, and i respect what advice your giving me cause you guys are all def. more experienced drivers than me, but i don think i could drive a cavalier, and no offense to anyone my parents are totally against anything thats american built, and ya i should be driving a hyndai but im not and thinking about driving a type s or a BMW is just crazy now that i think about it i did like my g35 wen i did have it maybe ill go back to it oor something that is used, affordable, and suits my age. but in the main time i am trying to get my car back and running, o and i have def. learned to drive safer and slower that was my first car accident and i dint expect it to be this bad at all.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:52 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

in this case i told em the fault was the pothole but i think the cops counted my skid marks to tell how fast i was going cause i got a ticket for careless driving he said the marks look as if you were going 60-70 mph. but thats all i got a ticket for careless driving i didnt get anything else and i think he assumed that i was just speeding and i was using the pothole as an excuse, on an account of my age
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:56 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

no i dint hit anything else but wen i opend the door it mad a loud noise letting me kno that i messed something up, but i mean other than that as i said before everything looks totally out of place and the cars body lines don seem the same.
Old 06-28-2008 | 05:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Your collision coverage will cover any repairs and benefits, but you will be charged for an at-fault accident.

Since you received a ticket, the insurance company will likely charge you with the majority of the fault. Comprehensive coverage won't apply, just collision since you overdrove the limits of you + car. IDK if your insurer would even look at the pothole unless you convince the insurer that the pothole would have caused a problem at the posted limits.

...my parents are totally against anything thats american built...
Uh- the TL is only built in the US.
Time for a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit?
Old 06-28-2008 | 08:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Dude slow down.

Do this (seriously and not flaming): Sounds like there is soeme $$ floating around (TL, 3-Series, G35, etc). Take some of that and spend it on some High Performance Driving Events (i.e. Track Days) and/or some local Auto Cross events.

Run the car right to the ragged edge, you put no one in danger and you'll to be a LOT better driver from it.
Old 06-28-2008 | 08:44 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

I am glad I do not live in the same state as you.

Then stay off the road where you could have hurt someone else besides yourself.

You do not deserve to be driving.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

while most of the latter posts are criticism, i hope you take them as constructive criticism. Posting this on the forum, you'd have to expect people to come here and tell you that you shouldn't be on the roads, which holds true to an extent.

While you were speeding, you said your dad was in the car? He should've been a little more responsible and telling you to tone it down a little.

Luckily, for you, no one was hurt.

I do agree with a few people, in saying that your next car should be something with a little less power (i.e. a civic, or tsx - not knockin on the TSX though haha). Having said that I agree 100% with what bearcat said. Taking driving courses will definitely make you a much better driver.

Fortunately for you, my parents are not your parents. I got one speeding ticket (50 in a 40), and my parents took away the keys for a 2 months, and i used my hard earned money, at the time, to pay for driving courses. I certainly learned my lesson, and keep my speeding to about 5 mph over speed limit. My friends rag on me for driving like "an old man," but i get the last laugh when they get speeding tickets and end up having to pay $$$$ on insurance.

Just learn from this, try to talk to the insurance company w/ regards to the pothole, and get a slot in the driving course.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:22 PM
iScrape going into

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
while most of the latter posts are criticism, i hope you take them as constructive criticism. Posting this on the forum, you'd have to expect people to come here and tell you that you shouldn't be on the roads, which holds true to an extent.

While you were speeding, you said your dad was in the car? He should've been a little more responsible and telling you to tone it down a little.

Luckily, for you, no one was hurt.

I do agree with a few people, in saying that your next car should be something with a little less power (i.e. a civic, or tsx - not knockin on the TSX though haha). Having said that I agree 100% with what bearcat said. Taking driving courses will definitely make you a much better driver.

Fortunately for you, my parents are not your parents. I got one speeding ticket (50 in a 40), and my parents took away the keys for a 2 months, and i used my hard earned money, at the time, to pay for driving courses. I certainly learned my lesson, and keep my speeding to about 5 mph over speed limit. My friends rag on me for driving like "an old man," but i get the last laugh when they get speeding tickets and end up having to pay $$$$ on insurance.

Just learn from this, try to talk to the insurance company w/ regards to the pothole, and get a slot in the driving course.
Touche, I couldn't of said it any better.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:22 PM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I Strangely agree. I dont know why but i really like the TL that i currently have.
If i hit anything, i would rather have it fixed than have the insurance Pay it off.
Old 06-28-2008 | 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

like the others said too much car for you to handle.........this is the reason I do not let my 16 year old anywhere NEAR my CL type S

young driver + high powered car = instant fail.....
Old 06-29-2008 | 04:00 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

I had an IS300 before and crashed also. Don't want to mention much, but it could have been avoided. Let's just say 40 mph drift into a tree. Yeah, laugh guys

haha. Anyways, insurance claimed damage to cost around 21k, car was valued at 24k. Meaning I should of wreck 3k more damage, and I would of gotten a 24k check to buy another IS300 with a clean title. So my opinion to you is, find the value of the car, and wreck is, so your car is totalled! A repaired car at excessive damage, will never be the same as it was before.
Old 06-29-2008 | 10:35 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

sorry will y. what i meant to say is anything that not foriegn designed i guess you could say not something thats built in america, and ya bearcat there is some serious money floating around and if i told my parents i wanted to invest in some performance parts my mom would have a stroke, and me asking to go on a course i don evn think my parents would approve the first question would be why?, the second question would be you know thats not safe to drive that fast?not to mention that i already got a lecture about it and ya guys i have def. learned my lesson. thank you lax playa i thought alls i was gonna get was criticism, i did plan on taking a defensive driving course wen i got my permit back last year sometime, i guess i nevr really fot around to it, but i guess im gonna end up taking them now. and ya i still don have pics i forgot the shop was closed on weekends, so ill get them up as soon as i can. ya i think i might just have to move down with something with a lil less power, anyone got any suggestions cause im not really feelin a tsx or a civic? idk lookin for something with 215 hp, and a loser steering wheel if thats possible?LoL
Old 06-29-2008 | 12:52 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

It does not matter what type of vehicle you have, LEARN how to drive 1st by attending driving course. If you can not do that,

I am going to say it one more time:

STAY OFF THE ROAD
Old 06-29-2008 | 04:42 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

aight TL1999 chill out ya i know i messed up but ur acting like you own me?WtF, so just calm down cause i do plan to attend those courses, and don't have a cow.
Old 06-29-2008 | 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

TL1999 and the OP, calm down both of you. No need to over-react to each other's comments.

First of all, to the OP, please use some proper English and proper grammar, it took me a while to understand exactly what you were saying.

Now to the topic at hand, insurance companies use the rule of about 70% or more in repairs on the car's value will mean totaled, and you will get money for a new car. IF the value is under, you will have a branded title and your car will be fixed. If this does happen I suggest you also claim diminished value, Google how to do it in your state.

Now to the other point, look driving rough is acceptable in only certain conditions, in your case, it appears that there were no life and death circumstances. For not your safety, but the safety of others, please, slow down. If you want to speed, go only 5MPH over the limit, but thats it. I have lost a firend because two 18 year olds were racing their civics, one lost control and smashed head on into their car, and the crazy part of it all, my friend was on the way home from the DMV, his kid just got his permit.

Look, buy a M5 or a Lamborghini, but please, drive safely with it and be mature. Your parents are going to pay the price now with insurance, upwards in the 3K+ range a year, and this accident will follow you for a long time, you will be bared from jobs if you even have a speeding ticket, let alone a accident where reckless driving was involved. Whats done is done, all I urge you to do is change your ways, before something worse happens.
Old 06-29-2008 | 07:04 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Old 06-30-2008 | 06:08 AM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by csmeance
Look, buy a M5 or a Lamborghini, but please, drive safely with it and be mature. Your parents are going to pay the price now with insurance, upwards in the 3K+ range a year, and this accident will follow you for a long time, you will be bared from jobs if you even have a speeding ticket, let alone a accident where reckless driving was involved. Whats done is done, all I urge you to do is change your ways, before something worse happens.
Uh, sorry csmenace but Geico quoted me (normal driver who just got his license, no incidents/tickets [touch wood!]) $2,000 every 6 months to insure my TL comprehensively. The OP is looking at much more if he insists on comprehensive.

To the OP:
Look, no offense but i think you would be better off in something like a Volvo S60,
It has >215 HP and it is a pleasant place to be in. That with only liability will serve you well in the long term. You will need to be atleast 25 years old to even qualify for a reduction and although i dont agree with the way TL1999 decided to get his message across, he raises some valid points.

This will hurt your future and after everything is said and done, im pretty sure you would not want such a childish folly to affect your chances.
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:06 AM
Race Director

Speed has something to do with this but not all!

I was going 30 mph in a 50mph on BQE in NYC, hit a pothole, my front wheel got locked into it, and there was a lot of damage.... This was my 00TL...

Sue the damn city.... AND I HOPE YOU TOOK PICTURES! without 'em, you'll lose. Also, I hope the cops on the scene documented the potholes.

Good Luck, and DON'T SPEED if
a) you are not familiar with the car
b) you are not familiar with the road you are on
c) you are not experienced enough in emergency maneuvering
d) when you have someone else in the car
e) crowded roads
f) potholes/horrible roads.
and the list goes on, common sense will guide you, but first you may want to polish up on it.

Good luck with the car.

P.S. You car is wrecked, it's purely cosmetic as you've described it.
Old 06-30-2008 | 11:09 AM
Advanced

My body shop went back to Acura to reinstall the airbag when I was in my accident.
Old 06-30-2008 | 11:23 AM
Drifting

Yay, another stupid spoiled teenager does something stupid in a car he doesn't know how to drive. I wish they'd raise the driving age to 18 or even higher.

A teenage girl ended up sideways in the road behind me on Friday because she didn't pay enough attention to notice she was flying up to a red light with lots of stopped traffic. I'm glad she didn't hit me, I had no room to go anywhere.

And mmp1214, learn some fucking english already.
Old 06-30-2008 | 01:17 PM
FTW

rofl!

this thread delivers, very entertaining!
Old 06-30-2008 | 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Easy on the OP guys really. Im sure all of us have made mistakes while driving. Yes me and him both are young and are lucky to have such a nice car, but are there any of yall that when you first got your lisence you were the perfect driver? Mistakes happen, learn from them and don't do it again. A reason not to speed is because you endanger people around you, yourself and possibly even a loved one or so. Gas prices are not the best in the world right now, that should be another reason not to speed.
But like stated earlier, driving courses will help out a ton. I have done them before, and man, they help out soo much. You really don't know until you do it.
Glad your not hurt, keep your speed to the posted limit and good luck on getting your car fixed man.
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:10 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

what's wrong with being young and driving a nice car? if you could afford it what's the problem? im 21 got my 08 tl when I was 20. we work just like you older people do. seems like we got some haters in here... mmp1214 you will be okay good luck with you car..
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:48 PM
Race Director

I don't want this to start in young kids driving nice cars thread......

If you did something stupid, and YOU KNOW IT, and you do not want any bashing, DO NOT CLICK "NEW THREAD". Just move on.....
Old 06-30-2008 | 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Yay, another stupid spoiled teenager does something stupid in a car he doesn't know how to drive. I wish they'd raise the driving age to 18 or even higher.

A teenage girl ended up sideways in the road behind me on Friday because she didn't pay enough attention to notice she was flying up to a red light with lots of stopped traffic. I'm glad she didn't hit me, I had no room to go anywhere.

And mmp1214, learn some fucking english already.

+1 I know I'm not that much older, but I can imagine how much safer the roads will be without 16 and 17 year olds. No offense to OP or anybody else in that age range. Live and learn, and now you know to drive responsibly.
Old 06-30-2008 | 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think he clearly stated that he learned his lesson. Why are you all trying to be the "Mature" grown ups and try to lecture the kid?
Old 07-01-2008 | 12:24 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

alright guys, this is more like an arguement of wether i should be driving a nice car at a young age or not i was just seeking some advice and feedback from people with experience though some of u seem to think im just a stupid kid with a nice car and some of you are actually helpful so im just gonna say you guys argue on..
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:49 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Nothing personal - welcome to the world of online forums.

Although - you did tell us of your woe's 4 days ago, and we still have yet to see any pictures. Also, any word yet from the insurance? Usually things happen fairly quickly for stuff like this.

Keep us posted. Most of us are interested, we just get bored and start to ramble unnecessarily when posters keep us waiting too long.
Old 07-01-2008 | 02:07 PM

Geesh, bunch of hungry wolves. Leave the poor kid alone; he screwed up and he knows it. I'm sure I'd feel like complete crap if my car was wrecked and it was my fault; I don't think he needs our help to feel worse.

To the OP - Best of luck on getting this fixed. I'm sure there have been many lessons learned in this.
Old 07-01-2008 | 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea man, sorry to hear the news of the TL- however you seem like a pretty ligit dude, and I am impressed with how you have handled the "wolves" thus far. Just relax, stop reading this thread and dont make the same mistake again. good luck
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:23 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I get the feeling that if the OP was over 20 or 21, there wouldn't be any bashing about his age. Not referring to the OP, but a fast or reckless driver is a fast or reckless of driver, regardless of age.

Quick Reply: wrecked or totaled?! D: