3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you choose an RL over a TL for $8-10 grand more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL over a TL ? Yeah If I was about 40 years older!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
I'm getting close to purchasing a new Acura, either an RL or a TL. I posted this question in the RL forum a few weeks ago and got lots of responses. So now I'm asking the TL owners: do you feel the RL is worth $8-10 grand more than the TL? It clearly is a more refined car, with more luxury features and the AWD, but is it really worth that much more to the average driver? I do not live in an ice/snow area, so the AWD would only have the benefit of better handing under dry or rainy conditions. I am not the kind of driver that pushes my vehicle to the edge on a regular basis. I do appreciate some luxury, comfort, and performance.

I know all of you chose the TL, but would be interested in any observations/opinions for those who have checked out both cars.
My parents did.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:59 AM
New and Improved!

Red face

I think the age references are a bit too subjective. If you look on the RL boards, most of the posters are < 40. I believe the TL's demographics was 30-45 (I may be incorrect on the exact range). Should we tell the volumnous members here below that demographic age that they are too young to own a TL? I doubt they would appreciate that.

Perhaps we can focus on what appeals to the poster and not project what we feel is best for them. Offer objective opinions, that are useful. Subjective comments may not be so useful.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would get the TL still. You can't do anything to RL compared to the TL. There's so many things out for the TL. If I had 8-10k extra after buying the TL. Holy crap .. I would prolly drop the charger in it, some wheels, and aspec body kit. Then of course do a lot later, but you know .. that's 8-10 k you could spend making your car unique and 1 of a kind instead of buying the RL and having it be just like every other one out on the road.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checking back in... we've had the TL for a month now and we're loving it!! What a great car! Several times my wife and I have said, "I'm sure glad we got this instead of the RL!" There are so many nice features to this car, and we are very satisfied. Plus, I'm finding that what I said before (preferring luxury over sport) isn't necessarily true. The TL has a perfect blend of both for us. I really dig the smooth, tight, responsive feel of the car. The steering, the shifting, and the handling are buttery smooth but very snappy when they need to be. This car is refined! Plus it has guts! Mash the throttle and it's like a rocket! And damn it looks sweet!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
In short, no.

I REALLY thought about getting an RL, but got the TL instead.

Three issues I have with the RL:

Blander styling than the TL

Price

Less exciting driving experience
Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I traded an 05 TL for 06 RL. I test drove M35 and GS300. I prefered the RL. the TL is one of the best values going when you consider price, performance, gadgets. The RL is a step up from the TL in ride and comfort. Its all what you are looking for.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree with the others who said that the lack of a manual transmission in the RL would cause me to rule it out. I'm also not a big fan of the styling. Something just doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm not really sure what it is. I know that's not a terribly useful comment, but I just can't quite put my finger on it—perhaps it's that the RL reminds me a little bit of when the Chrysler LH cars first came out with the "cab forward" styling. I was never a fan of that styling and the new RL reminds me of it.

If I were to spend the extra money, I'd probably spend the extra $20,000 to buy the Mercedes E-class diesel. I drove a diesel Passat in Scotland the weekend before last and was very favorably impressed with it. The fuel economy was outstanding. (Yes, I know the Mercedes doesn't have a manual transmission available, which is why I hedged my statement with "probably." For a manual in that price range you're mostly looking at BMW, but I'm just not that interested in BMWs.)
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Instructor

I've been driving TL for 3 months now and havent got on compliment on it, but within the 2 months I owned the RL, I got plenty. My gf still reminds me for not getting another RL. TL is great all around, but RL is just a notch more luxurious and classy. BTW, I am only 29 and so not all RL owners are grandpas. Actaully, the salesmen told me RL owners are lot younger than the first generation due to the amount of hi tech in that car, most older drivers just cant deal with it.

For ppl who compares the RL to M45 and GS450, those are all V8 and are not even in the same price range. RL is a better comparison to M35 and V6 GS. RL will beat those any day in my opinion and still come out with a few grand less.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would say get the TL. If you had the money to pay cash for the RL then I would suggest that. But be sensible, there are better things to put your money into than a car. The TL is really a great value for the money.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldn't, RL doesn't come in MT...or else i'd be all over it
Old 05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Advanced

I've considered the RL also but I don't believe its re-sale down the road will match the TL. Not good after paying the price of an RL.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I respect wasabe918's opinion and just wanted to say that, although we ended up choosing the TL and are very happy with it, we did think long and hard about the RL at first, and at one point we were certain we wanted to go with the RL. The RL is an excellent car. It is very refined, very comfortable, and is well outfitted with lots of great technology. It also compares very well in price with Infiniti and Lexus models. Because of the poor RL sales, you can negotiate one down to the low $40's. I'm certain Lexus and Infiniti won't give NEARLY that much.

For each person facing a car buying decision, you have to ask yourself what is the right balance of performance, luxury, price, and styling for YOU. It's a really tough decision. Don't get bogged down too much in the little details, like which navi is better or whether all the lights are LEDs. The way the car feels and drives, the roominess, styling, etc. are what really counts. The other tech items are just icing on the cake. And make sure that, if you do decide to go with a more expensive model, that the added money you're paying is buying you additional features that are truly worth the extra cost. Because in the end, it's just a car, and there are lots of good things in life that cost $$.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:15 AM
10th Gear

Just my . If I had an extra 10k to put towards a car, I would add a few MODS to my TL. I would do either performance, audio/video or appearance. That way it would have everything I want. Well, at least some of the things I want and it will be one of a kind.

Unfortunately, I am not at a point in my life that I am willing to throw alot of extra money into a car. I have a household, bills, a business I am trying to build and etc. So, for me there is no better deal than my A-spec. It has great looks (inside out), good performance (if you can drive), good mix of standard features and still has that wow factor. I personally, like a little torque steer, when I am hard on the accelerator. I haven't had any of the rattles and vibrations that some people say they have.

As far as the G35, it is a great looking car with great performance, but the interior and features absolutely suck. I is plain and boring. The IS350, It is a great car, awesome performance and nice interior. Though it has a useless back seat and I personally don't think it looks as good or has the wow factor of the A-spec. Oh and it is an automatic. Can,t stand automatic sport coupes/sedans.

Now as for the RL and M35/M45, they are very nice cars with good performance and nice interiores (prefer the RL's interior) but they are a little too big for my taste right now. I need something with room but a little more sporty, with that sports car feel. When I go for a luxury car, I am going for a 750LI . I know it is more expensive than the RL and M35/M45 but accept no substitutions.

All that to say GO TL, HOO RAH!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:52 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CBR1100XX
I wanted the speed of the TL verses the Luxury of the RL. Don't get me wrong I think the RL is am amzing ride, just not a thriller. The 6spd TL is second only to the NSX in the Acura lineup.
I second that, if you want luxury then get the RL but if you want a car that is both sporty and fun to drive, then the TL will fit those needs....

I test drove both before I bought my TL and can say that I'm happy with my decision, plus now that I've installed a CAI, PZeros, yellow fogs, synthetic oil and the GM tranny fluid, I feel the car is what it should have been off the assembly line....and all those modifications didn't even add up to $1,000.....
Old 05-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

TL regardless of the money.
Acura hit a home run with the TL and the RL should have been a larger version of the TL. Toyota, BMW, MB, and other have done well following that concept. I have NO complaints on the gadgets of AWD that the RL offers. The RL is just to small to be a Flagship car in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 PM
10th Gear

Interesting discussion. Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, when the new TL was being designed, designs were drawn up by both the US and Japan design shops. After much debate, the bolder US version was selected and the TL has been a runaway hit. However, the softer design was still liked by the Japanese so they decided to use it anyway ... as the RL.