3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a new TL again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 06 TL manual with nav with 8k on the clock. I think for the money i spent i got the best car out there for my needs. I think it is better than the g35 sedan and i love the nav. However i hate the fact it has front wheel drive and i will never buy another front wheel drive again.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Selucid
i have an 06 TL manual with nav with 8k on the clock. I think for the money i spent i got the best car out there for my needs. I think it is better than the g35 sedan and i love the nav. However i hate the fact it has front wheel drive and i will never buy another front wheel drive again.
I have a question to you:
How do you drive RWD cars (such Lexus, BMW, MB) in winter months? Do winter tires really help?
I also do not like the fact that TL is FWD, so I am thinking to trade it for BMW (RWD) [I also do not like any SUVs, or AWDs]
However when it comes to driving in winter I hear a lot of bad stories on how Lexus, BMW, MB got stuck in the snow.
I am in NY, so we have some winters here...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Selucid
I note your language use. You don't say that you hate the FWD; you hate the fact (or idea) that it does.

I have a rental 2006 G35 as we speak (Rear Wheel Drive). I just took it on a 600 mile trip of mixed driving. I'm driving it like I stole it. I have drifted it around wet corners with the VSC on and off. And guess what?

If it handles better than my TL, you can't prove it by me. Up to 8/10ths, they are similar. Below that, the TL is better. The G35 is abrupt, jerky, jouncy, and twitchy. It doesn't have the luxury-sport feel of the TL. The first 2 gears feel very low as you hit redline very quick. Also, with the VSC off, on damp roads, you can break the rear tires loose any time you want in 1 or 2 (automatic). It also has a snarky exhaust sound which verges on a drone. It's a fun whip when you push it and it belongs to Enterprise.

But, we are here to talk about the TL. And my point is that the negativity of the FWD is mostly in people's heads- because of the bad rap it gets from "aficianados".

When Road and Track tested a TL and a BMW530i (with optional Sport Package) in the April 2004 magazine (I've mentioned this many times before), the TL turned in better objective numbers in handling and performance than the BMW.

Why is this so shocking? Because the bad rep of FWD preceeds it. We have grown to expect (dare I say "pre-judge") FWD cars to handle like conastoga wagons.

The rear suspension has been carefully designed by Acura to compensate for the forward weight bias. The downside of this is that, if you drive it hard, you will wear out the rear tires pretty quickly from the camber changes under load. Same thing if you load the car with passengers and luggage. You'll scrub those tires quickly.

By the way, the G35 has Bridgestone Turenza EL-42's but they are only V rated. TL's tires are EL-42's but rated for higher speed. Now I'm stopping about the G35 before I violate my own cautions here.

To keep on topic, I'll just say that the running changes on the TL from model year to model year can only serve to improve it. And, with our generous factory warranty, good dealers will tend to issues if they come up.

The finest cars in the world do not change from year to year except to add some technical improvements from time to time. To wit: Rolls, Bentley, BMW, M-B, Ferrari. If you have a fine car to start with, there is no need to change it for change's sake as if it were a 1950's Chevy.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Definite No..

I've had so many problems with TL that I filed a claim against Acura with a lawyer. To make a long story short, Acura ended up buying my car back after I had it for about 2 years. I don't think I'll consider buying another Acura in the future.

see thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/origin-rice-cars-137984/

I bought an 2006 Honda Civic Si with Nav on the 17th and I've gotten more compliments on this new car in one week than I gotten with 2 years with the TL. I would consider tha fact the color on the Si is a lil more flashy (Fiji blue pearl) and the exclusivity of the Si model, but I didn't expect such a feedback from all ages.

This past weekend, I saw a guy who must have been in his 50's checking out the car....This never happened with my 2004 TL.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The one thing that I have not seen in this thread is the fact of how quite the car is on the inside. This is why you can hear in squek or rattle. In a normal car you wouldn't be able to hear these things over the road and wind noise. With the windows down you will not hear a single rattle. As soon as you shut the windows, you can no longer hear anything outside the car. I had 2 problems with rattles. I took care of them myself by using this forum. They where minor, and like I said, with the windows down you couldnt hear them or even with just the sunroof cracked.

Would I buy this car again, YES!! This is a great car, fun to drive, responsive and very comfortable. Taking it on a trip is great, when you get where your going you don't feel like you have been beat up.

As for the suspension, I had a friend tell me it was to firm!! For me its not firm enough. I like the feel of a stiff sport suspension like the s2k. I love getting in and driving my car everyday.

As with any leather you are going to get wear. I am not sure of the problems others are seeing, but my leather has held up great. I have an Ebony interior. I don't know if its one of the other colors that is seeing the "butt print" problem, "butt" not in mine.

For the price range this car is in and the features you get with it, it can't be beat.

As for the poster saying they would never buy another "American car", go get yourself a Domestic car and come back and tell us how great it is. The quality of the TL is far and above any domestic car!!! I have driven and worked on more cars then most people, so I have some knowledge on how well cars are built, and believe me, this car is well built.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
The Boss

Would you buy a new TL again?

^ no, I am going to drive this car until it dies. In a few years I'd get a nice convertible vette as a second car and use this boosted TL as a daily driver .
Old 06-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CL Platano
lol..Michael is the ideal Acura salesman...No car is perfect and you shouldn't expect it to be that's why there are service departments to fix your problems.
My car has been perfect!! I'd buy another in a heartbeat, if I had the money for a new car.....LOL!!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Excellent question and seeing how I came from a 140K Maxima myself, I can tell you the following things. My 96 Max would not die and had no rattles. I just got tired of driving it. So coming from that here are my thoughts:

1) Within this price range, I would buy the TL again in a heartbeat, although after this car I will look at the BMW just because it catches my eye for some odd reason.
2) I have a couple of rattles that come and go and I have made peace with them, the radio drowns them out.
3) I would have to say the TL is a sweet car coming from a Maxima. I don't think any amount of test drives are going to give you an idea of what rattle you may get in your purchase, but the dealer seems pretty positive about eliminating them.
4) The TL key fob blows, with a Nissan key fob you can lock your car from halfway across the state, I have to basically walk up to the car and tap the damn hood with the fob to get the stupid thing to lock. Please Acura get some range.

Go to the Lexus and BMW forums and ask the same question, you may be surprised what answers you get...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Definite yes here....though I would test drive a little further up the food chain first (e.g. M35 or RL), or even down the food chain a bit (I really like the Dodge Magnum R/T and new Chevy Impala SS).
Down the food chain was actually up the food chain for me.

I had intended to get an Acura TL after much research but was put off by the many, many complaints of rattles, harmonic vibrations, bad leather, etc. compounded by the fact that after driving several demos at different dealers that actually had rattles, pulling to the right, etc., that I decided to look around for an alternative and came up with one . . . the new 2006 Chevy Impala SS!

The car is cheaper than the TL, faster, handles great, has NO rattles, squeaks or other extraneous sounds, tracks dead-on straight, has no vibrations, harmonic or otherwise, also has a great audio system in the BOSE 8-speaker system and has a dealer on every corner. The car is QUIET, has very minimal road and no wind noise (I drove four different demos, two had slight wind noise and two had essentially none), is a great highway cruiser, and has a quite frankly audibly delicious exhaust note (which can only be found in a car with a V-8 engine) which can be heard subtly in the background but does not wear or intrude on the driver. The mileage is minimally lower than the TL (EPA 18/28) and I got 26.9 mpg on my second tank of fuel with straight highway driving.

The car was delivered with ZERO defects and after 800 miles of driving nothing untoward has ensued. I am more pleased with the car than I thought I would be and it is my observation that the quality of domestics, as exemplified by the SS, has risen markedly compared to just a few years ago.

As to the specific subject of rattles, I do not believe personally that it is inevitable that a car have them. I have a 10 year old Subaru Outback with 160,000 miles on it and the car has NO rattles. I would expect a new '06 TL to at least be as good in that department but first, before such a problem can be cured, the manufacturer, Honda, has to at least admit they have a problem.

If you are wrestling with the decision as to acquire the TL or not in view of its considerable well chronicled foibles, be sure to also consider the '06 Impala SS as it is a most worthy competitor and highly deserving of consideration.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Yes, with out a doubt I am waiting on the new models to come out.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jtconte
Hi, I'm new here and I have been doing some searchin'. I have been considering the 06 TL AT w/NAV but am a little scared by some of the complaints I'm reading- rattles and leather issues being the top ones. I hate rattles! I like to keep my cars and have a 93 Maxima w/224k mi. and she has no rattles! I have test driven 2 06 TL's so far and have not noticed any rattles. I did not notice the miles on them but will when I test drive another. How big an issue is this rattle thing? What are my odds of getting one with it? Same for the leather. As a TL owner would you buy again? The TL is at my dollar limit and I don't believe there are others w/similar features w/o spending at least a few k more. I realize there is a warranty but who wants to keep going back and wasting time. Then there is the frustration level. Will this car last as long as my Maxima and still be enjoyable to drive- no rattles, cracked seats, headliner falling down, etc.? I appreaciate any advice here and thanks for all the info!
I would not buy or reccomend this car to anyone. Rattles Galore!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Instructor

the rattles really suck on mine too....i guess that's american quality....these stupid cars are made in ohio
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Yes, I would buy another Acura.

My WDP TL 6sp is wonderful to drive on the twisties or the freeways. Overall, it's a very well-balanced car. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only heard few squeaks inside the cabin when I drive.

I'm thinking about buying a RL since they have such good deals going.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by T-Mobile
I would not buy or reccomend this car to anyone. Rattles Galore!
So you don't own one?

If not, why do you say there are "rattles galore"?

I DO own one and I have no rattles. Never had any for over two years.

I think warm weather and smooth roads (no frost heaves or pot holes) migh help.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Unfortunately I have to delay getting a new car for a few months. I just got married in May and we both have our own homes which we have to get ready to sell and look for another we both like. I thought I could get the car before or during all this but it looks like we need the equity of at least one of our homes plus the money I have saved for a car to get the new home. I guess I will be looking at the '07's :-)
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jtconte
Hi, I'm new here and I have been doing some searchin'. I have been considering the 06 TL AT w/NAV but am a little scared by some of the complaints I'm reading- rattles and leather issues being the top ones. I hate rattles! I like to keep my cars and have a 93 Maxima w/224k mi. and she has no rattles! I have test driven 2 06 TL's so far and have not noticed any rattles. I did not notice the miles on them but will when I test drive another. How big an issue is this rattle thing? What are my odds of getting one with it? Same for the leather. As a TL owner would you buy again? The TL is at my dollar limit and I don't believe there are others w/similar features w/o spending at least a few k more. I realize there is a warranty but who wants to keep going back and wasting time. Then there is the frustration level. Will this car last as long as my Maxima and still be enjoyable to drive- no rattles, cracked seats, headliner falling down, etc.? I appreaciate any advice here and thanks for all the info!

hey why don't you consider staying with nissan and just upgrade to an infitinti g35 sedan that will blow away any tl, and no rattles, sorry i'm a little partial to best v6 engine ever made nissan vq3.5. If you need more info to make a decision take a look at www.maxima.org

i aplogize if i offend anyone don't get me wrong i still love acruras though our fam has got an mdx i've got a maxima and an integra, plus we just added a gen 2 TL and hands down i'll still take the maxima the tranny will last longer.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

No way, worst car I ever owned. Traded it in after 24,000 miles on an 06 Accord Ex. The rattles were never fixed and are too bothersome to handle anymore.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Royal Flush

No.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

If you're bothered by rattles, the TL will drive you crazy. I just bought an '06 a month ago and probably wouldn't buy it if I had to do it over again.

Acura should be embarassed to put their name on this car with the number of rattles it has. I don't know if it's poor design or the fact that it's built in the US but the build quality of the interior completely sucks.

Also look at these posts: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140024
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I would consider a 2007 TL if it had the J35 and SH-AWD and a 6-speed.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2005 TL 6 speed with Nav. I would not hesitate to buy a TL again. For the money, it is the best 4 door sedan out there.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I lucked out, zero rattles on my 06 now at 4200 miles. Totally surprised by all this talk of "NO" for buying another TL.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by achebee4you
hey why don't you consider staying with nissan and just upgrade to an infitinti g35 sedan that will blow away any tl, and no rattles, sorry i'm a little partial to best v6 engine ever made nissan vq3.5. If you need more info to make a decision take a look at www.maxima.org

i aplogize if i offend anyone don't get me wrong i still love acruras though our fam has got an mdx i've got a maxima and an integra, plus we just added a gen 2 TL and hands down i'll still take the maxima the tranny will last longer.
LOL make me laugh. G35 has a ton of rattles especially the 05+. I owned two of them and got sick of rattles the dealer could not fix and other quality issues. The car mechanically wise was stout.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JERU
Excellent question and seeing how I came from a 140K Maxima myself, I can tell you the following things. My 96 Max would not die and had no rattles. I just got tired of driving it. So coming from that here are my thoughts:

1) Within this price range, I would buy the TL again in a heartbeat, although after this car I will look at the BMW just because it catches my eye for some odd reason.
2) I have a couple of rattles that come and go and I have made peace with them, the radio drowns them out.
3) I would have to say the TL is a sweet car coming from a Maxima. I don't think any amount of test drives are going to give you an idea of what rattle you may get in your purchase, but the dealer seems pretty positive about eliminating them.
4) The TL key fob blows, with a Nissan key fob you can lock your car from halfway across the state, I have to basically walk up to the car and tap the damn hood with the fob to get the stupid thing to lock. Please Acura get some range.

Go to the Lexus and BMW forums and ask the same question, you may be surprised what answers you get...
I too have a 96 Max. She has 126,600 miles on her and has been a GREAT trouble free car for the past 5.5 years but I think it's time for a change. I've been drooling over the TL for a little over a year now. Having had a Max I have a couple of questions for you.

1)Are you sorry you got rid of the Max?

2)Did you even look at the G35 and Max?

3)Do you think th TL will be as trouble free and live as long as the Max?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Advanced

YES. Have owned my flawless '04 TL since December, 2004 and am looking forward to the next generation in another 2-3 years.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
I too have a 96 Max. She has 126,600 miles on her and has been a GREAT trouble free car for the past 5.5 years but I think it's time for a change. I've been drooling over the TL for a little over a year now. Having had a Max I have a couple of questions for you.

Well i still have a max you i couldn't get rid of my fast gracery getter, soon it may get a quite of bit of mods since my new daily drive is the TL prob going to throw the vq3.5 if i can afford it i should run mid 14s on 1/4 mile, but back to topic. The Tl is a great car but it hasn't been around that long it was introduced when in 97 and that one of the gens had too many tranny issues but its looks great, all i'm saying is get what you like but if you want soemthing to last you long go with your experience and it seems as if Nissan has proven that to you, i mean the maxima has a long line of history or reliabilty it has been around since like the 80's with the same vq engine just beefed up over the yrs and they still run well and never die. I know ppl will say hinda has a good reliabilty but I wold only go as far to sy the accord,civic, and integra which seem to all have the famous 4cyclinder engines, the b-series, k-series, d-series, etc.. I love TL on the other hand is great but i plan on getting rid of it within 5yr since who knows that honda may recall on this when when it pops up. I did look at a G35 jsut couldn't afford it i want the all wheel drive model, lol i think it was called the x35? And for your third question i don't think the TL will be trouble free like the maxima compare each cars track record, TL= hx of tranny issues and who knows what may come of this new gen. Maxima= no major recalls at least on parts that help you get from pt A-B like a tranny, only thing thats goes on Maximas are ignition coils, MAF sensors, and fuel injectors but that iswell passed oever 100k, show me a TL from 99 that hasn't had any major tranny issues over 150k, i don't think i can find one.

If you need more of an informed deciosn making i would first double check NHSTA for any recalls or service bulliten reports for the cars you are interested in

And if you are still thinking of going with the reliabilty of a VQ engine, check out www.maxima.org

good luck with you decsion

Tim
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

There are several non-typeS model TL's that do not have tranny problems and are way over 100k. It's the Type-S that had tranny issues with the 5AT.

The Maxima had many different engines since it was introduced.

1) VG30E back in the 2nd gens (not sure what the 1st gens had)
2) VG30DE in the 3rd gen Maximas 89-91, then in 92 it had that engine in the GXE but for 92-94 SE it got the VE30DE which had a lot of issues of its own from the variable intake screwing up and timing chain issues on all the engines after a certain amount of miles.
3) VQ30DE came out in 1995 in the 4th gen Maxima or I30. It was in the Maxima through 1999.
4) VQ30DEK was in the 2000-2001 Maxima.
5) VQ35DE then in the 2002-2007 Maximas.

So no it wasn't the same.

Originally Posted by achebee4you
Well i still have a max you i couldn't get rid of my fast gracery getter, soon it may get a quite of bit of mods since my new daily drive is the TL prob going to throw the vq3.5 if i can afford it i should run mid 14s on 1/4 mile, but back to topic. The Tl is a great car but it hasn't been around that long it was introduced when in 97 and that one of the gens had too many tranny issues but its looks great, all i'm saying is get what you like but if you want soemthing to last you long go with your experience and it seems as if Nissan has proven that to you, i mean the maxima has a long line of history or reliabilty it has been around since like the 80's with the same vq engine just beefed up over the yrs and they still run well and never die. I know ppl will say hinda has a good reliabilty but I wold only go as far to sy the accord,civic, and integra which seem to all have the famous 4cyclinder engines, the b-series, k-series, d-series, etc.. I love TL on the other hand is great but i plan on getting rid of it within 5yr since who knows that honda may recall on this when when it pops up. I did look at a G35 jsut couldn't afford it i want the all wheel drive model, lol i think it was called the x35? And for your third question i don't think the TL will be trouble free like the maxima compare each cars track record, TL= hx of tranny issues and who knows what may come of this new gen. Maxima= no major recalls at least on parts that help you get from pt A-B like a tranny, only thing thats goes on Maximas are ignition coils, MAF sensors, and fuel injectors but that iswell passed oever 100k, show me a TL from 99 that hasn't had any major tranny issues over 150k, i don't think i can find one.

If you need more of an informed deciosn making i would first double check NHSTA for any recalls or service bulliten reports for the cars you are interested in

And if you are still thinking of going with the reliabilty of a VQ engine, check out www.maxima.org

good luck with you decsion

Tim
Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am very satisfied overall the car has been everything I wanted and much more. Except for 2 rattles, both solved by my dealer it is a great looking, quick, very comfortable and exceptional in features. The main reason I did by it over the Honda Accord was a lack of 6MT in the Accord Sedan with V6, which is now available now.. But i will surely lconsider and ook forward to purchasing a 09' model....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Instructor

the jury is still out, but my first guess is no I would not purchase another TL or Acura in today enviroment of cars available in the price range of the TL.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
l love my TL! I only have 2 real complaint, the quality of paint & vibration over 70mph.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
There are several non-typeS model TL's that do not have tranny problems and are way over 100k. It's the Type-S that had tranny issues with the 5AT.

The Maxima had many different engines since it was introduced.

1) VG30E back in the 2nd gens (not sure what the 1st gens had)
2) VG30DE in the 3rd gen Maximas 89-91, then in 92 it had that engine in the GXE but for 92-94 SE it got the VE30DE which had a lot of issues of its own from the variable intake screwing up and timing chain issues on all the engines after a certain amount of miles.
3) VQ30DE came out in 1995 in the 4th gen Maxima or I30. It was in the Maxima through 1999.
4) VQ30DEK was in the 2000-2001 Maxima.
5) VQ35DE then in the 2002-2007 Maximas.

So no it wasn't the same.
maybe i was a little off with the engine spec but hell the VQ engine regardless is still a pretty damn reliable engine. I know ill never win the oppions of ppl on an acura thread, but put this post up on maxima.org and they will have good rebutals your comment, but i'm not disagreeing with you i love the tl but longevity and reliabilty ill go with a maxima or even a 4 banger accord
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Ahem!

If you guys want to talk about Maximas and Nissan engine developement, start a thread on that topic over in Car Talk.

Here, we're talking about new Acura TLs.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pinina
l love my TL! I only have 2 real complaint, the quality of paint & vibration over 70mph.
The vibration over 70 is not normal and you should have the dealer fix it. It sounds like wheel balance.

There is an intrinsic harmonic vibration in the 5AT about 50-55 in 5th gear which is not uncommon (but not universal). If you are hovering at that speed and it is annoying, just shift over to SS-4 and it will go away. Or, go slower or faster.

It seems the ECU wants to get you into 5th sooner than later for fuel economy. The RPMs are only around 1200 and that is not the TLs sweet spot.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
I note your language use. You don't say that you hate the FWD; you hate the fact (or idea) that it does.

I have a rental 2006 G35 as we speak (Rear Wheel Drive). I just took it on a 600 mile trip of mixed driving. I'm driving it like I stole it. I have drifted it around wet corners with the VSC on and off. And guess what?

If it handles better than my TL, you can't prove it by me. Up to 8/10ths, they are similar. Below that, the TL is better. The G35 is abrupt, jerky, jouncy, and twitchy. It doesn't have the luxury-sport feel of the TL. The first 2 gears feel very low as you hit redline very quick. Also, with the VSC off, on damp roads you can break the rear tires loose any time you want in 1 or 2 (automatic). It also has a snarky exhaust sound which verges on a drone. It's a fun whip when you push it and it belongs to Enterprise.
And how does both cars compare on DRY pavement?

Dont get RWD if you plan to "drive it like you stole it" when its wet out.

As for RWD in snow, its fine as long as you have snow tires.
Like i have said before. My audi with quattro and all season tires handle worse than my rwd bmw 330ci with winter tires in snow.

btw, the TL and TSX are prob the best handling fwd cars i ever driven.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
On my 3rd TL.

No rattles so far in any of them.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
And how does both cars (TL - G35) compare on DRY pavement?
(clip)
Originally Posted by XP
If it handles better than my TL, you can't prove it by me. Up to 8/10ths, they are similar. Below that, the TL is better. The G35 is abrupt, jerky, jouncy, and twitchy. It doesn't have the luxury-sport feel of the TL.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Advanced

my '05 TL just turned 22K. I had some curb rash repaired and put new tires on it yesterday and the car runs better than new. No rattles and no interior wear showing. The car has not been in the shop for a repair one time.

The doors that slam on me and the navi make me nuts but I'd buy another. The only two other cars I'd consider in the class are a 3 series or an IS but they are going to cost a lot more. The IS feels a bit tight as well.

Great time for cars in this class as there are so many good choices.

As an aside, I pulled the OEM Michelin's and put on some cheap ASX Kuhmo's. The turn in is not as linear as the Pilots but they are much quieter and should be much better in light snow. Made me like the car more.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by maxAmillion

1)No I have to say after driving it all of those years, I needed a change. I would have kept it, but I knew it would just sit around with the TL parked out front. I took the 3K and put it towards the TL. I do miss that timing chain, which should come standard on a car above 30K.

2) I looked at the G35 and the Max both, but I was getting tired of Nissan's interiors. So apparently were the designers for Nissan (felt on the dashboard?) because they are very tired looking now. The G35 has that Inspector Gadget pop up Nav Screen and the interiors on both looked pretty bad compared to the TL's polished interior. I think Acura has embarrased a lot of car interiors in this class and sent alot of people back to the drawing board. I don't think Nissan knows what to do with the Maxima being between the Altima and G35, not much room to budge (ala Toyota Avalon).

3) For years all I ever heard about was Honda's bulletproof reliability. So I see no reason to think the TL will make an early exit. The tough question is with cars advancing the way they are, comparing them is pretty tough due to all the technology you get. The TL has much more than a 96 Maxima, so the chances of something going wrong will go up over the years.

In the same situation, I would get the TL again, there is nothing that the TL gives up on a Maxima (except heated steering wheel ) and it looks sharper. The Maxima now looks like it hung around Ponderosa All You Can Eat a bit longer than it should have. I mean if you look at the type of complaints (a rattle or two that can be eventually tracked down) compared to the whoppers BMW, Merc, Audi owners are getting, than its not a show stopper.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
And how does both cars compare on DRY pavement?

Dont get RWD if you plan to "drive it like you stole it" when its wet out.

As for RWD in snow, its fine as long as you have snow tires.
Like i have said before. My audi with quattro and all season tires handle worse than my rwd bmw 330ci with winter tires in snow.

The G35 did handle about 5x better than the TL does. I road raced my G35 and knew its limits. The TL I would be afraid to push it. It doesn't have the steering feel the G35 did.

Here is a pic of me....

Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

The interior actually is pretty good in the G35 for 05+. I would say just a different design but equal in quality with the TL that I own now.

Real alum trim on doors, dash and middle console.

Alright a bit too far off the original topic of the thread. Just wanted to answer a few questions someone else had. Sorry mods.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a new TL again?