3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I reget upgrading from the regular TL to the Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No note is the best way to go.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
The answer to this question can really be answered by the OP himself. It's the way he feels about the matter in the end that resolves the problem. I, for one, always loved the Type S but couldn't justify the extra price they were asking down here for one. A stock TL is more than enough for me as a daily driver in everyday life. But as we all know it's certainly not about logic when we talk about cars. If you want it and you obsess over it, you think it'll make you happier, go for it, that's simple.

Otherwise like some said, not having a car note is quite satisfying. Maybe you should start putting that money aside to buy the car you were planning on getting to after the TL-S.

There also seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding the 335i in here. The fuel pump issue was common for the first year, however they were all replaced for free under warranty. The coverage was also extended to 10 years for that particular issue. It certainly wasn't issue on my E90 335i. The only real argument here is the maintenance that will and could get expensive when the car comes out warranty. Apart from that all the five Bimmers I've owned in the past few years have been bulletproof. Maybe a burnt light or something small like that is all I recall.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andyc123
out of their pathetic 50k job.
That is one of the most snobbish, disgraceful comments you can make about someone who is working for a living. Wow! I knew rich snobs existed but now I see why people like you are sometimes hated. Not because you make millions but rather you insist on putting down other people below you. You know you could have just said a $50K job without putting pathetic in front of it to let us all know what you think of the "lower" class. Distasteful to the highest extreme.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^ so those 2% include Brembo 4 piston brakes, 286hp, sexy exterior aesthetics, ANC, Better Navi, Sporty interior (LED/Leather), quad exhaust,suspension? better handling?.. should I go on?!!??
Can you explain the "better Navi" comment?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
+1 on getting a SC for your current TL... it will be faster than the type S
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezes
That is one of the most snobbish, disgraceful comments you can make about someone who is working for a living. Wow! I knew rich snobs existed but now I see why people like you are sometimes hated. Not because you make millions but rather you insist on putting down other people below you. You know you could have just said a $50K job without putting pathetic in front of it to let us all know what you think of the "lower" class. Distasteful to the highest extreme.
Ok good im not the only one that thought this guys comments were pretty low.

And to Geezerb about the nav.
Im not sure what he meant either. I have had both a base 07 and now a 07 Type S. Besides some different colors and stuff the navs are identical. Now there are differences however in the 04-06 navs and 07-08 navs that I know, but between the base 07/08 and the Type S 07/08 no differences that im aware of.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezes
Oh yeah...read the last paragraph of my previous post. Feel the same way!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GeezerB
I believe the 07+ Navis included Nav-Traffic.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ankur914
I believe the 07+ Navis included Nav-Traffic.
True, but I thought we were comparing TL to TL-s.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I see no possible way for you to regret doing this.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Oh yeah...read the last paragraph of my previous post. Feel the same way!
I absolutely agree with that paragraph to!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Ok good im not the only one that thought this guys comments were pretty low.

And to Geezerb about the nav.
Im not sure what he meant either. I have had both a base 07 and now a 07 Type S. Besides some different colors and stuff the navs are identical. Now there are differences however in the 04-06 navs and 07-08 navs that I know, but between the base 07/08 and the Type S 07/08 no differences that im aware of.
That tool belongs on E9x forums. They all brag about their salaries, lol. Talk about pathetic.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP...only you know what you want to do......
Choosing one car over another should not be overly biased by what you read here.
IMO either car is a good choice
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, I was just looking at this same car myself. I purchased my TL about a month ago from Muller's and was curious if they had any TL-s to test drive so I could see the difference. I myself wished I had bought the type s. I plan to just try and buy some OEM parts to get the look of the type s.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've owned a few Bmers in the past, and unless you make 6 figures (I do), it's tough to maintain. Idiots like Babnik dream of that, save for it, and once bought, eats every penny out of their pathetic 50k job.

If you dream of a TL-S, and are asking questions for a 25k car, it's not yet in reach.
No offense dude, but that's a pretty arrogant and misleading statement. Step off of your high horse. I lived in the DC area for 25 years, 6 figures is not that impressive in an area where the average home price is $500,000+ Probably 90% of my friends over 30 made in the six figures, and frankly not many of them were any more well off than my friends in other parts of the country making 50k. If someone wants to pick up a new BMW or a TL-S, who are we to tell them otherwise.

Doesn't BMW offer free service now anyways?

Edit: And to keep it on topic, definitely pick up a Type S! More exclusive = holding their value better.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Ultimately this is something only the original poster can decide. Only you can put a price tag on the differences between the base TL and the TL-S. I know i chose the TL-S because the extra horse power, two tone interior, brembo brakes, red lighting on the dash & clock, and navigation were worth it to me. Didn't care much for the rims or suspension since i planned to change both. My !!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
some like it stock

Originally Posted by GeezerB
going to go out on a limb and guess you can't talk to the BMW nav and tell it what to do. also acura nav is typically considered first-rate among OEM navigation systems. can't say for BMW but i will tell you the lexus navigation sucks.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
some like it stock

also to the OP - you will not regret getting a type S. there are possibly better choices out there, like i could have gotten an IS350 or G35 instead of my type S, and the G35 would have been faster, or the IS350 more luxurious but i probably would not have regretted any of those cars. but then i would not be driving an IS350 on the tail of the dragon nor would i be getting all the chicks drooling over a G35 sedan.

bottom line is - if you want it, and you can get it at a good price, and you can afford it - buy it and don't look back. just have fun with it. it's a great car.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I've owned a few Bmers in the past, and unless you make 6 figures (I do), it's tough to maintain. Idiots like Babnik dream of that, save for it, and once bought, eats every penny out of their pathetic 50k job.

If you dream of a TL-S, and are asking questions for a 25k car, it's not yet in reach.
I see douchebags.

They're everywhere....
Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
If you just want the speed, get a SC... If you want a payment... get the typeS
Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerezo
Actually a stock 335 doesn't run 4.8, a chipped will come close but can barely break 5. Mis-information = bad. On the other hand, it's a big step up in terms of performance no doubt.
There have been many road tests done where a stock 335i was able to hit 60 mph in 4.8-5.0 seconds.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
what's the difference between 04-06 TL 6sp MT with Nav and the 07-08 TL-S

besides the RL engine, the rims, tpms, and side blinkers?

don't all the 6pd MTs come with upgraded brakes, brembos, and stiffer suspension (btw does the 6sp come with the same suspension as the aspec?)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
some like it stock

i think mp3 capability was added in '07, could have been '06 though. traffic monitoring nav was added in '07 i'm almost positive. a 3 spoke steering wheel instead of 4... there was a thread on this not too long ago... better looking headlights and brake lights even over the base models. no nagging feeling about "should i have gone with the type S?" etc.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I'm the original poster here....

Wow, I figured I would get like 3 people here responding, instead I've got over 60.

I know a lot about car electronics, but not a lot about the engines. If I put a turbocharger or cold air intake on it to improve performance how much would I feel and would it cause the gas mileage to go down? The latter is very important b/c I have an 80 mile round trip to commute to work every day.

Still very tempted to pull the trigger on a new one though. And I did not pay very much when I bought the 05 TL btw. I sold my 04 4Runner and only paid like 3k for it when it was all said and done. The S was what I really wanted to get though, so now that I don't have a car payment anymore its very tempting.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
some like it stock

the type S is pretty fast stock - others can speak to the engine mods. don't think anyone's done a turbo in a TL. it already has a cold air intake although you could get a better one. are you looking at a 6MT or 5AT?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

There are actually a decent amount of differences between the 04-06 base and 07-08 base. Starting at the front of the car, the front bumper, headlights,wheels, mirrors, taillights, rear bumper are all different. On the inside, all the trimming is different, navigation system software is all redone with the addition of nav traffic and MP3 capability, steering wheel, gauges are all different. These comparisons are just between the base models. Now the Type S has ALL of those changes AND once again different bumpers, wheels, interior (seats, lighting color, pedals), brakes, engine, suspension.

These cars are more different than a lot of people think.

James
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

^^^^ Nicely put James. I wanted to list the differences but u handled it for me!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerezo
Life is short, better enjoy while you are young, provided that you can afford it. It seems that you have everything else in order!
Life is short, but I would say anyone that has a car paid off like the OP does that is reliable, reasonably current, and safe to get into another payment just to have let's say a 10% better vehicle may want to rethink this idea. Especially if the next vehicle has higher miles and an unknown history. The type-S is still front wheel drive car and does not have even SH-AWD as the 09 does. The TL-S is a better vehicle but one could argue that an Infinity G is too.

I don't think anyone would be on their death bed in 30 years regetting their decision not buying the type-s TL when they had a TL-P do you? I could see someone having regrets of not spending money traveling, time with kids, or saving more in a 401K, etc. when they were young though.

Another way to answer this question is as follows:

If I bought this TL-S now (with the payments), would I be still happy with this decision a year from now if I was unemployed for a year or more? If you're independently wealthy and simply have payments because you can earn more $ investing- pat yourself on the back because you're fine. If not, then the answer to this question will probably be the right decision for doing this type of deal or not.

There are occasional postings here where people feel compelled to downgrade to a civic from even having a base TL- those are sad stories but very real in today's economy. Cars are nice, but they don't replace life, friends and family.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Advanced

car makers are desperate, sales teams are throwing in bargains on top of discounts from the manufacturer...

the economy isn't going to get better for at least another 6 to 12 months...and even then it'll be a SLOW recovery.

Enjoy your base TL for now, and bide your time and shop...go test drive the various makes and models out there...you'll find something that'll leave you certain of what you should do...because if you're questioning, then you are far from being convinced...something out there WILL CONVINCE you.

in the meantime, save the few hundred bucks you would've spent on the car note, put it aside...use it as a D/P to reduce the amt financed when you do in fact upgrade to another car...or use the extra bucks to go on a vacation...

I've thought of upgrading to a Type S as well. I currently have the 05 M/T. Lately, i've been thinking of saving my money and possibly picking up the 2010 SH AWD TL M/T when it's launched.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Life is short, but I would say anyone that has a car paid off like the OP does that is reliable, reasonably current, and safe to get into another payment just to have let's say a 10% better vehicle may want to rethink this idea. Especially if the next vehicle has higher miles and an unknown history. The type-S is still front wheel drive car and does not have even SH-AWD as the 09 does. The TL-S is a better vehicle but one could argue that an Infinity G is too.

I don't think anyone would be on their death bed in 30 years regetting their decision not buying the type-s TL when they had a TL-P do you? I could see someone having regrets of not spending money traveling, time with kids, or saving more in a 401K, etc. when they were young though.

Another way to answer this question is as follows:

If I bought this TL-S now (with the payments), would I be still happy with this decision a year from now if I was unemployed for a year or more? If you're independently wealthy and simply have payments because you can earn more $ investing- pat yourself on the back because you're fine. If not, then the answer to this question will probably be the right decision for doing this type of deal or not.

There are occasional postings here where people feel compelled to downgrade to a civic from even having a base TLn- those are sad stories but very real in today's ecoomy. Cars are nice, but they don't replace life, friends and family.
I wrote a big block of text and decided not to post it. We are only here to toss our 2c's because we have nothing better to do at this moment anyway!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Great answer. Just what I meant to say. I know we're in "TL-land" here, but if I were the OP, I'd look at a G37 sedan, that thing has serious power and value for the money.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Very well put.
Enjoy this car...
When a car comes out that fits your criteria you won't even feel the need to post a question like this...you'll just pull the trigger!

Grass is ALWAYS greener.

Picture yourself 3 months in with your type s, going online to make the payment thinking...D'damn instant gratification! I was fine with my base and no payment.

Hard to do.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I agree that 07 base and 06 TLs are different, but is 07 better? In 04-06 you could get LSD, Brembo's, 6sp for the price of a base TL, if you wanted to drive a stick. LSD and Brembo's were major selling point to me on a loaded 32.5K car with Navi (funny how you cannot even get LSD on a 335). In 07 you had to pay extra to get these items and go with TL-S. Also, the stock rims on 04-06 were a lot nicer and more agressive looking than base 07 (I know, this is subjective). So, in my opinion in 07 they actually took away features from the Base TL, making 04-06 more attractive buys. I just don't like what they did to 07 base by removing performance upgrades, but TL-S is still a nice car.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP, if it were me, I'd keep the base TL and save up for something else. A TL is a great car and the type-S is even better but when it comes down to it... you gotta ask yourself how long the type-S will keep you happy / satisfied.

I've owned my TL for a year now and already realized that it isn't the best car to dump money into. Now before people start hating on me, I love my TL. Its just not a very fast car (and I know its not meant to be).

Just my

I'm saving up for something faster
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Andy74
I agree that 07 base and 06 TLs are different, but is 07 better? In 04-06 you could get LSD, Brembo's, 6sp for the price of a base TL, if you wanted to drive a stick. LSD and Brembo's were major selling point to me on a loaded 32.5K car with Navi (funny how you cannot even get LSD on a 335). In 07 you had to pay extra to get these items and go with TL-S. Also, the stock rims on 04-06 were a lot nicer and more agressive looking than base 07 (I know, this is subjective). So, in my opinion in 07 they actually took away features from the Base TL, making 04-06 more attractive buys. I just don't like what they did to 07 base by removing performance upgrades, but TL-S is still a nice car.
I do understand you said those opinions are subjective but I think the newer base wheels really update the look of the car and look nice. Also, when you say they took away features thats not really true infact its opposite of what you said. Just because they dont offer a manual tranny on the base model doesnt mean they downgraded the car. The 07 base TL has several upgraded changes and additions over the 04-06 models. Not a single feature was removed on the 07/08 TL.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I would do it if that's what you really want. Seems like you have your priorities in order. If I was in the market shopping for a TL right now, I'd only consider the TYPE S obviously. I would not add a supercharger just to compensate, because its not as reliable as just upgrading to a TYPE S.. just too much headache.

However what's funny is, most of the TYPE S owners here make the TYPE S vs BASE comparison like its the difference between a BMW M3 and 3 series.. guys lets get real here, I urge you to race a base TL and come back to reality.

But like other have suggested, if I was to upgrade for 11K, I'd be looking at something totally different not just to get into basically the same car with one trim model up for exchanging 11k, that doesn't seem smart to me.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Racer

Do it for the economy.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Advanced

ive had my base TL for about 3 months and im already thinking about selling it and getting a TL-S.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I would do it if that's what you really want. Seems like you have your priorities in order. If I was in the market shopping for a TL right now, I'd only consider the TYPE S obviously. I would not add a supercharger just to compensate, because its not as reliable as just upgrading to a TYPE S.. just too much headache.

However what's funny is, most of the TYPE S owners here make the TYPE S vs BASE comparison like its the difference between a BMW M3 and 3 series.. guys lets get real here, I urge you to race a base TL and come back to reality.

But like other have suggested, if I was to upgrade for 11K, I'd be looking at something totally different not just to get into basically the same car with one trim model up for exchanging 11k, that doesn't seem smart to me.
Dude, you must be in my brain. This is my exact train of thought.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
This thread is riddled with ignorance.... Raj I'm surprised.

Type-S trim is only 3K more (compared to 08 base) -> residual factor -> net worth in the long term.

HP/Speed wise... really? With whichever trim, you're still driving a slow ass 4D FWD rattling sedan.

Type S is like buying a bundle of mods for a very discounted price. Take a base, and try to match it to the Type-S....it will run you much more $$$, yes you may actually have a better car at the end...but it's all about the cost.

To the OP.... If I was you, I'd stay from Acura.... Do an European delivery on a BMW... No taxes, You pay 10-15K below U.S. invoices.

Last edited by TeknoKing; 06-05-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Would I reget upgrading from the regular TL to the Type-S?