Worth the milage take on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 12:32 AM
Pro

Worth the milage take on?

I've been seriously considering putting my TL up for sale....For another TL!

I love my CBP TL, I really do. To be honest though, I love me some KBP TL more than anything. I'll keep it short.

Do you think it'd be worth selling my car (30,100 mi) and getting a same year type-s in the color I really want, but ultimately adding ~15-20,000 mi ? I need some opinions..some feedback..maybe some words to set my mind straight..Thanks guys.
Old 11-17-2009 | 12:36 AM
Racer

I wouldn't do it. Your car has 98% of the features that the TL-S has. I would save up for something different.
Old 11-17-2009 | 12:38 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Get it. 3.5L, better suspension, more HP, sportier, looks better, and all of above!
Old 11-17-2009 | 12:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jungy4
I wouldn't do it. Your car has 98% of the features that the TL-S has. I would save up for something different.
I know that. I know it's going to sound terrible on this forum, but I've reached a climax with my car and it's sort of downhill emotional wise..I'm not happy. I know this sounds really dumb as cars are meant to drive and not necessarily love, but that's the type of person I am. If I'm not happy with something I'll do what I can do change it, you know? I take what you say into consideration of course, because I asked for it. Your opinion is valued very much to me. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Get it. 3.5L, better suspension, more HP, sportier, looks better, and all of above!
See, you're the one egging me on! However, I have a question. Do you think the 20k is significant wear on an engine widely known for excellent durability?
Old 11-17-2009 | 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

u mean trade for a type s?

Hell yea i would do it..shiet ur still young u know u gotta have the S!
Old 11-17-2009 | 01:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
u mean trade for a type s?

Hell yea i would do it..shiet ur still young u know u gotta have the S!
Word man. I wouldn't necessarily say trade for a type s, but I'd try to sell my car privately and get as much money as possible instead of getting owned by a dealer for trade in value. KBB says I can get 26 for mine, but I think that's a little steep. 23-24 seems reasonable. 22.5 on the trade in, 26.5 private. We'll see. The only thing concerning me is the miles. Maybe if I pick up a CPO, ext. warranty?
Old 11-17-2009 | 01:35 AM
Instructor

i had an automatic prelude for the last 10 years of my life and it wasn't the car I wanted. Now that I have a choice, I am getting the car I want so I think it's worth it. I spend a lot of time in my car and having something you like is very important. I would say do it. it's worth the happiness cuz you're just going to blow the money on booze anyways
Old 11-17-2009 | 02:35 AM
Advanced

hahaha spend it on booze...he's right tho lol Enjoy life. Get the Type-S!
Old 11-17-2009 | 03:07 AM
Suzuka Master

be preapred for slightly or significantly higher insurance rates (age driving habits etc)
lower fuel economy
type S eats brakes like mad

other than that, I would do it
Old 11-17-2009 | 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

get the type s
Old 11-17-2009 | 07:31 AM
Under construction

Man that's a tough choice, going to a Type-S but with higher miles.....I say do it. A few extra thousand miles on the TL is not that big of a deal, as long as it was taken care of

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2009 | 08:52 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Do it .
Old 11-17-2009 | 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
i had an automatic prelude for the last 10 years of my life and it wasn't the car I wanted. Now that I have a choice, I am getting the car I want so I think it's worth it. I spend a lot of time in my car and having something you like is very important. I would say do it. it's worth the happiness cuz you're just going to blow the money on booze anyways
This pretty much sums it up. If you don't blow the money on your car your just gonna blow it some where else and maybe not enjoy it as much.
Old 11-17-2009 | 09:29 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

45k to 50k miles is a lot for an '07. You're bumping right against the original warranty - so have the car thoroughly checked, go CPO, or seriously consider getting an extended warranty. If the car was well maintained and taken care of, I would not worry about that kind of mileage on the TL.
Otherwise, the decision is financial. If you're heart is set on a KBP Type S, you better be ready to pull the trigger when (IF) you find one, which means you may have to trade your current car. Do you owe anything on it? Can you afford the price difference between them? If not, can you afford the payments if you finance the difference? Don't forget to factor in insurance rates.
Lastly, be sure to actually test drive one and see if you can convince yourself whether the incremental improvement is worth it. You might find out that a few well-chosen mods will get you what you want. Is it appearance or performance that you are looking for?
Old 11-17-2009 | 09:55 AM
Racer

Oh man, everyone wants you to!
If you really love the TL so much, then you should get what you want then.
Old 11-17-2009 | 09:59 AM
Instructor

Maybe meet a few Azine members, and check out their TL-S.

I would hate for you to go through all of that work, selling, researching, buying, then finding out the TL-S was marginal in terms of improvement, and more importantly your happiness.
Old 11-17-2009 | 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Did someone say KBP? I just got mine last week with 31k of miles. Love it!

It's getting tinted today. Also the Type-S has many upgrades not just performance over the normal TL that are worth it. Interior is one of them. Just to egg you on more.....

Old 11-17-2009 | 10:52 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

and get a 6spd
Old 11-17-2009 | 10:57 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

I had an 05 NBP TL that I was not happy with. Loved it while I had it but it lacked Navi & at that time I racked up miles fast, not quite babying it. Then I ran across the 08 TL-Sssss I currently own & traded instantly. NBP again & LOVE everything about it. I wanted something I really liked that I would keep for a while so this was it!
Old 11-17-2009 | 11:43 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Did someone say KBP? Yes they did! Here's another egg...

Old 11-17-2009 | 12:48 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

218TL get it. It is an Acura, a Type-S with a revised RL transmission. With proper maintenance, the car should run over 200k. It is a better driver, more sportier, still has its lux, and looks better. Also making a thread means you really want it, but you don't want to sacrifice the mileage, forget about mileage, for a chance (not directed to you), get something that you want and earned (hopefully you earned it )
Old 11-17-2009 | 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

that means cut half your joy rides..
Old 11-18-2009 | 12:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by surge21
hahaha spend it on booze...he's right tho lol Enjoy life. Get the Type-S!
Lol, too funny.

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
be preapred for slightly or significantly higher insurance rates (age driving habits etc)
lower fuel economy
type S eats brakes like mad

other than that, I would do it
I know. The insurance hike won't be that much. Accident free policy on my end. $$ Isn't much of an issue..It's only money.

Originally Posted by VQPower37
get the type s

Originally Posted by alexSU
Man that's a tough choice, going to a Type-S but with higher miles.....I say do it. A few extra thousand miles on the TL is not that big of a deal, as long as it was taken care of

Good luck!
True, I'm going to eye it out real good. This time around I know exactly what to look for. This site made me very knowledgeable to the TL, so I'll spot defects in a snap. Thanks for the luck friend.

Originally Posted by JnC
Do it .
Thanks for the help via text!

Originally Posted by BigJack75
This pretty much sums it up. If you don't blow the money on your car your just gonna blow it some where else and maybe not enjoy it as much.

Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
45k to 50k miles is a lot for an '07. You're bumping right against the original warranty - so have the car thoroughly checked, go CPO, or seriously consider getting an extended warranty. If the car was well maintained and taken care of, I would not worry about that kind of mileage on the TL.
Otherwise, the decision is financial. If you're heart is set on a KBP Type S, you better be ready to pull the trigger when (IF) you find one, which means you may have to trade your current car. Do you owe anything on it? Can you afford the price difference between them? If not, can you afford the payments if you finance the difference? Don't forget to factor in insurance rates.
Lastly, be sure to actually test drive one and see if you can convince yourself whether the incremental improvement is worth it. You might find out that a few well-chosen mods will get you what you want. Is it appearance or performance that you are looking for?
This is what I'm looking for, thank you.
I have found a KBP TL-S, I'm checking it out tomorrow. It's got all the amenities I want. I'm going to try very hard to not instantly fall in love with it and cause myself to make a on-the-spot decision. As for my car...No, it's not paid off. I can't trade it in so my intent is to sell it privately. Again, money isn't too much of an issue. I can cover the difference easy. I have a good, well paying job, so I can take on higher monthly dues. I'm going to try to test-drive tomorrow. They better let me at least. I'll be sure to treat it as my own while still getting a feel for the differences. I'll know right away considering my time spent in a TL Base and never being in a type-s. As for your last point/question. It's a little of both. I've realized that I'll be with this car for probably 3-4 years and if that's going to be the situation, I want in something I really wholeheartedly love and enjoy. Again thank you for your input, you covered a lot of great points for me to mentally digest.

Originally Posted by jungy4
Oh man, everyone wants you to!
If you really love the TL so much, then you should get what you want then.
I agree with you!! Haha

Originally Posted by samplemonster
Maybe meet a few Azine members, and check out their TL-S.

I would hate for you to go through all of that work, selling, researching, buying, then finding out the TL-S was marginal in terms of improvement, and more importantly your happiness.
Indeed, I'm going to see if I can meet up with somebody quick before I leave.

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Did someone say KBP? I just got mine last week with 31k of miles. Love it!

It's getting tinted today. Also the Type-S has many upgrades not just performance over the normal TL that are worth it. Interior is one of them. Just to egg you on more.....

Ah you jerk!! To be honest, you're the one that triggered this motive for me. I saw your new car thread and was very jealous. How are you enjoying it? Shoot me a PM if you can.

Originally Posted by Blazing GT

and get a 6spd
Haha, I would like a 6 speed, but c'mon, KBP is rare enough. Now find a KBP 6speed taupe/ebony interior!!!!! Plus I'm inept of driving stick.

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
I had an 05 NBP TL that I was not happy with. Loved it while I had it but it lacked Navi & at that time I racked up miles fast, not quite babying it. Then I ran across the 08 TL-Sssss I currently own & traded instantly. NBP again & LOVE everything about it. I wanted something I really liked that I would keep for a while so this was it!
Looks like I'm in a situation you've experienced! We can relate for sure. I love my car don't get me wrong, but I'm afraid I love something more than it. If I'm going to be in something for much longer than I expected, I want to thoroughly enjoy the heck out of it, every aspect, up and down.

Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
Did someone say KBP? Yes they did! Here's another egg...

Thanks for more eye candy

218TL get it. It is an Acura, a Type-S with a revised RL transmission. With proper maintenance, the car should run over 200k. It is a better driver, more sportier, still has its lux, and looks better. Also making a thread means you really want it, but you don't want to sacrifice the mileage, forget about mileage, for a chance (not directed to you), get something that you want and earned (hopefully you earned it )
All valid points here. And yes, I earned it for sure. Worked my butt of for a long time. Now it's time to reap the rewards (hopefully!!)

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
that means cut half your joy rides..
Waaah?
Old 11-18-2009 | 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

i know i was jus playin ahaha
Old 11-19-2009 | 11:14 AM
2011 BMW 335i

I say as long as you can afford it, then go for it
Old 11-19-2009 | 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

How much is the type s going for nowadays? I might be in the market of selling my car. It's not KBP so no worries lol. Alabaster Silver 2008 13,400 miles. How much would you think i can sell it through private party? I don't owe anything on it. I kinda wanna get the cash flow by selling it and then finance another car.
Old 11-19-2009 | 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Probably around 28k~
Old 11-19-2009 | 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Back to the topic, you should get a type s. you wont regret it !!!!!!!

Be sure to not settle for any other color because i did that with the silver and now I want another car partially b/c of it.
Old 11-19-2009 | 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Probably around 28k~
Dang I should've traded it in a month or two ago for 27k. It'll save me taxes. So that add up to be over 29k. I didn't do it because i prefer to get all the cash in hand and then put like 5 to 10k down for another car. That way I'll have the cash floating around.
Old 11-19-2009 | 01:24 PM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Dude, when i bought my CBP Type-s, it was a no brainer choosing the type s over the base TL, i find way more sexy so go for it!
you won't regret it!
Old 11-19-2009 | 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 218TL
I've been seriously considering putting my TL up for sale....For another TL!

I love my CBP TL, I really do. To be honest though, I love me some KBP TL more than anything. I'll keep it short.

Do you think it'd be worth selling my car (30,100 mi) and getting a same year type-s in the color I really want, but ultimately adding ~15-20,000 mi ? I need some opinions..some feedback..maybe some words to set my mind straight..Thanks guys.
I'm sort of new, I have no idea what CBP and KBP stands for.
But my words to you is, keep the TL you have
Although it may lack some stuff the Type S has, but it's still your treasure
Old 11-19-2009 | 01:56 PM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Originally Posted by dbqkqh
I'm sort of new, I have no idea what CBP and KBP stands for.
But my words to you is, keep the TL you have
Although it may lack some stuff the Type S has, but it's still your treasure

the color of the Car acrenoms- CBP = Carbon Bronze Perle
KBP - Kenetic Blue Perle
Old 11-19-2009 | 04:06 PM
I'm Craig

I think nearly everyone with an 07-08 Base TL wouldn't mind having a Type-S. But you can't complain about CBP! KBP is an amazing color though too, second to MRP, in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:08 PM
Advanced

Probably around 28k~
I picked up my 07 NBP TL-S in great condition with 39K miles for 24,500. Look around, and be patient!
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:47 PM
Acuras Only in

Get the type-s for sure ... my 07 NBP type-s has about 22k miles on it & I wouldn't trade it for anything in its class right now ....
Old 11-20-2009 | 05:43 AM
Pro

Better suspension? if you install the Type S suspension on a base TL would you feel any difference at all? is it better in handling? thanks
Old 11-20-2009 | 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes
Old 11-20-2009 | 08:59 PM
Intermediate

What's the debate here again? Seems like a no brainer!