Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

words of advice?? wisdom perphaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
words of advice?? wisdom perphaps?

I have a completely stock 05 TL, and i was thinking of getting rims a drop (using H&R springs only) and possibly a RJ or A-Spec body kit in the upcoming months, my main issue is that I am horrible at parking and the roads here are craptastic so im afraid of having my bumper scrape.....

How low do the bumpers actually sit with and without the drop, and some one correct me if a drop can be achieved with new springs, Thanks alot!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey don't take this as a complete put down.

I got my TL when i was 17 so this is coming from experience. Although you will PROBABLY not listen to me, I have to say this.

dont get any mods, i KNOW you want to look and sound cool in front of your HS friends. but anything "cosmetic" i will wait until you really learn to drive. Not saying you don't already, but trust me, i started driving (illegally of course) pretty early, mostly cuz my parents were never around and i needed to get to school etc etc in the evenings or early mornings and what not.

anyway, i'm gonna assume you DIDNT drive any earlier than 15, so you barely have any experience. Grats on a great car, but seriously, don't get any body kits yet, you will regret it when you have a RJ kit or A-spec kit with scratches all over it. actually, alot of ppl who have the kit, have gotten it because they got hit or scratched and they covered it with the A-spec later on.

I have A-spec drop and the bottom of my car scrapes on any downramp that's greater than about 25 degrees.

i would wait until you're off to college really, trust me, this is coming from a kid who had full A-spec'd TL at 17 and that was my second car, (my first is a totaled 350z R.I.P. - btw not my fault, at night i hit a pothole that had some sort of jagged metal or glass and it literally tore the tire, i'm lucky i'm alive)...1.5 kits later, i've definitely learned my lesson.

get to know the car, and when you can parallel park without having to pull foward to adjust more than once, you know you're good to keep going.

modding is the same as anything, take a slow pace in the beginning....break in your driving and start doing other mods, some interior stuff, or if you'll be doing anything performance wise grab a CAI, Progress bar, P2R Spacer and Pulley... in a year and a half then i'd grab some wheels and a bodykit.

think of it this way, you can look REALLY nice these next few months but as you said yourself you're not that great at parking and the roads are "Craptastic?"(lol) ...it'll be more embarassing if you drive around in college with your body kit all scratched up and your rims all curbed - think beyond the horizon

sorry for the lecture, just dont want other people to make the same mistakes that i've made
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, that actually really did help, I think I'll put the money towards subs and maybe performance upgrades (btw how much did you pay for your pulley?)
Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
excelerate is a vendor for us on AZ

i bought the P2R TB Spacer and the pulley together, shipped to the midwest - it was $345.

he's based in CT.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try picking up a set of 04 A-specs wheels along with the A-spec suspension and run 255/40/18's (size is very important). I've yet to have a problem with this set up in 4 years. No bent wheels, scraped wheels or damaged body kit parts. The 255 allows enough clereance for most curbs, parking lot stops or the occasional steep driveway.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
My daughter (still on her permit) whacked the front-end coming out of the driveway - very small grade and a regular "drive over" curb. I've got H&R Sports and that was the 2nd time the front end has scrapped (not the bumper, but the balck plastic "diffuser/under-spoiler").

The other time was a steeper grade and I was a careful as I could be, but .... .... what a sick sound.

Good springs ARE a performance improvement - better handling, less dive and roll, lower center of gravity, etc. Performance isn't just about speed and HP.

However, I agree with the general sentiments above. Wait. Get some experience (experience is what we get right after we F something up). Then get some mods.