Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WooHoo! I'm in too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WooHoo! I'm in too!!!

Welll I did it. Went up to Acura of Boston and got a black/ebony 6mt/nav/HPT for $33995. MSRP was 35395, so I got $1400 off msrp, which was what a couple other guys on here reported from the same dealer. I had to do some negotiating, but all went pretty smooth. I didn't get as much for my 2002 wrx as I wanted, but if I waited to sell it myself then I would have had to oder the TL and who knows if I would have even sold my own car in time.
I was able to get the wheels locks thrown in and a couple oil changes. I opted for the teflon treatment, since black cars tend to be more prone to things like acid rain and bird droppings.
Other than that, a great experience. I pick it up on Tuesday. The only concern I have is the HPT tires, which here in new england during the middle of winter are probably going to be borderline dangerous in snow. I asked if they'd swap them out (not for the EL42) for a AS tire, but they said they couldn't. So I guess I'll see how it goes and drive more slowly in the snow. Worse case scenario, I get some all seasons.
WooHoo! I'm still a little in shock and I don't think it has set in yet. I was cleaning out the subaru already. Kinda feel bad about getting rid of it, but after 3 years, it was time for a change.
Guess I'll be visiting this board more often.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro

Re: WooHoo! I'm in too!!!

[i]The only concern I have is the HPT tires, which here in new england during the middle of winter are probably going to be borderline dangerous in snow.[/B]
"Borderline dangerous"??? How about "suicidal"?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

Re: WooHoo! I'm in too!!!

Originally posted by jzinckgra
Welll I did it. Guess I'll be visiting this board more often.
Congrats, and welcome to TL ownership. You will be very happy indeed
Old 01-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Instructor

So what's a good all-season tire to get? I've read good reviews on the Pilots A/S, but $800 is pretty steep. Is there another tire you guys suggest that isn't quite as expensive? Also, what would you do with the HPT's? Sell them or put them on in the summer? I guess I just don't feel like changing the tires 2x a year.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!! Who did you deal with? My salesman is Joel and my car is due around the first of the month. Glad things worked out for you, but I'm kinda jealous. What is your VIN#? Definitely switch out your tires!!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Congratulations!

Now for the winter truth.

Get a second set of wheels and put some H or V rated snows on the car (or else you will be spending your money at the body shop).

In the summer you will enjoy the HPTs.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by clutchcargo
Congratulations!

Now for the winter truth.

Get a second set of wheels and put some H or V rated snows on the car (or else you will be spending your money at the body shop).

In the summer you will enjoy the HPTs.
I'll second that. You definitely want to get a separate set of wheels and put some real snow tires on them (Blizzak WS 50s) ASAP!!

Congratulations!!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:06 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congratulations! I own the same like you. Fun and no regrets whatsoever.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but what is HPT?

/me runs and hides.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase!!! Who did you deal with? My salesman is Joel and my car is due around the first of the month. Glad things worked out for you, but I'm kinda jealous. What is your VIN#? Definitely switch out your tires!!
My salesman was Sam Dizas. Nice guy. No pressure. Not sure of the VIN yet as it wasn't written on the bill of sale. How come the Acura dealer doesn't have the ability to put on some snow tires? Or do they? It would probably cost a lot more. Anyone from Mass. know of a cheap tire discount place?

Sorry, my VIN was on my bill. It ends with 21942
Old 01-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Mav
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but what is HPT?

/me runs and hides.
I believe it means High Performance Tires.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:30 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yep, HPT = High Performance tires (Bridgestone Pontenza RE030's to be exact). They are REAL tricky in the snow but absolutely one of the best in the dry and rain. In the dry/rain they do rival the Michelin Sports. How much did they you for your WRX? What kind of shape and miles were on it?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro

So what's a good all-season tire to get? I've read good reviews on the Pilots A/S, but $800 is pretty steep. Is there another tire you guys suggest that isn't quite as expensive? Also, what would you do with the HPT's? Sell them or put them on in the summer? I guess I just don't feel like changing the tires 2x a year.
Pilot A/S, Continental ContiExtremeContact, Falken ZIEX ZE 512. I have the Falkens and coulnd't be happier with them.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

I worked with Sam Davis at Acura of Boston as well. He was very pleasant.

If price is your objective for tires and whees, just order from the Tire Rack.

With the broken down roads around here, I have gotten used to paying some more to have a local shop that provides some real service.

I use Advance Tire in Cambridge.

My LM-22s are going on tomorrow morning.

With a high speed car like this, the Q rated tires like the WS-50 will grip well but may not inspire confidence at speed.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Instructor

How much did they you for your WRX? What kind of shape and miles were on it?
I traded a 2002 wrx with 37000 miles. They gave me 14K. I was hoping for more, but it's always hard to get a good price on the new car and your trade. I'm more than happy.

Speaking of ordering tires. How the heck do you receive 4 tires shipped? Do they come via freight, like AFB?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Speaking of ordering tires. How the heck do you receive 4 tires shipped? Do they come via freight, like AFB?

When I have ordered from the Tire Rack in the past the tires came via UPS.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Pro

They typically are shipped by taping two tires together. UPS and Fedex Ground are typically the shippers of choice and it's pretty cheap: $10-$15 per tire.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Congrats!!
I have the 512s as well, and very happy with them.
Pirelli P-Zero Neros are supposed to be good as well.
Can you get steel wheels and snows? Or cheap alum. wheels from TireRack and snows? That would be the best setup.
I don't get the Teflon coating.... Since Teflon needs a couple thousand degrees to bond to metal, how is it going to bond to your paint? I think it's total marketing.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Just a quick question regarding the AS tires. I'm thinking of getting the Falken 512's. Sear's has them for $122/tire, but I'm a little sceptical about the Sear's folk changing the tires on my car. Any comments? I also noticed discounttiredirect.com has them for $104.
I've got the wheel locks included in my purchase and was wondering if that means only an acura dealer could take the tires off. Is there a special tool that only acura would have or are wheel locks pretty universal when it comes to the tools to remove them? Sorry, never had wheel locks before. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro

Just a quick question regarding the AS tires. I'm thinking of getting the Falken 512's. Sear's has them for $122/tire, but I'm a little sceptical about the Sear's folk changing the tires on my car. Any comments? I also noticed discounttiredirect.com has them for $104.
I've got the wheel locks included in my purchase and was wondering if that means only an acura dealer could take the tires off. Is there a special tool that only acura would have or are wheel locks pretty universal when it comes to the tools to remove them? Sorry, never had wheel locks before. Thanks.
http://www.edgeracing.com has the Falkens for $85 per tire. Shipping to Norther Virginia was $11 per tire. Installation at Costco $9 per tire for a grand total of $105 per tire installed with no tax!

Your dealer should've given you a socket adapter for the wrench that matches your wheel locks. That's essentially a key to them. Check your glove box and the toolkit in the trunk, if it wasn't with your manuals. If you can't find it, get it from the dealer.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:48 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tire rack has some 16" fitments with great snow tires, at the main page of their web site, select shop for "winter tire and wheel packages"

Get the Dunlop Wintersport M3 in the recomended 215/55-16 size (just about the same diameter as the 235/45-17 tires on the car 0.1inch diff diamter) they will have a smaller contact patch than the stocks, but cut to the pavement better in snow (wider is NOT better in snow).

Whole package before shipping (tires, wheels, mounting ballancing) is about $880

You will get one of the best snow tires that does not give up dry handling. Wet and snow traction is better than the LM-22

I would not give your $ to bridgestone.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Actually, the contact patch would be the same size, but its shape will be different. For a 215 tire, the contact patch will be narrower.
Originally posted by need4spd

Get the Dunlop Wintersport M3 in the recomended 215/55-16 size (just about the same diameter as the 235/45-17 tires on the car 0.1inch diff diamter) they will have a smaller contact patch than the stocks, but cut to the pavement better in snow (wider is NOT better in snow).
Old 01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Racer

Horror story on Sears Tire center - bunch of idiots. I once bought tires from tire rack for Eagle Talon and took it into Sears for installation. Upon my return for rotation, they tell me that two lugs were broken off during removal because "some idiots" put them on too tight. I reminded them that "some idiots" they were referring to were last seen in the bathroom mirrors. They proceed to break off another lug nut during installation. I've never been back to Sears since then. Just thought I'd share.

'04 TL/nav
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Horror story on Sears Tire center
Thanks. I'll avoid them like the plague.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Well I just pulled up to work in my new TL. After an hour and a half drive from the dealer, I'm all smiles. That damn nav already saved my butt once and I'm more than glad I paid the extra $$$ to get one I haven't noticed any vibrations on the HPT, but I'm planning on ordering some falken 512's later today.