Sponsored by:

Won my case against Acura:

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Won my case against Acura:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=70960

I'll be driving a 2004 Satin Silver TL non-navi.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again congrats. Hopefully no issues in this new ride!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Just wanted to let everyone know that 1sick has supported me from the get go .. i truly believe the "press" i began to get w/ all the forum hits helped raise some eyebrows, 1sick. Thanks for the tip, you helped put a dent in Acura's wallet.

It's all about principle. The little guy can make a difference, yada yada
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! I hope you'll have fun with the new one.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Me Too

Congratulations on your win!!,

I too won a Lemon Law hearing against VW on a 1996 Jetta GLX that had over 86,000 miles on the clock. I ended up with a check for just over $20,000 and VW got their clucker back.

What really sucks are all the people that told me "You won't win" & "Don't even try" Thank God, I didn't listen to those na-sayers.

Congratulations again!

Mike Smeezy
Old 02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Won my case against Acura:

Originally posted by PeterUbers
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=70960

I'll be driving a 2004 Satin Silver TL non-navi.
What deal did you get, a straight swap or did you have to pay for the new vehicle a mileage penalty.

Have you had 2 or 3 failed trannys. I have had 2.

Congrats, and who is paying your Lawyer fees.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Won my case against Acura:

PeterUbers,

Do you mind just making our life easier? Re-post whatever you want to talk. You attached the links to links and there is a long thread out there, we even cannot find the topic/content in the very first of your posts.

If you want more ppl to share your triumph experience, we should see it right away.

Thanks.

This below is what I saw...

Just filed case w/ BBB Autoline (Tranny failures)
Thanks to doomed_acura, and everyone who had good input.

Will keep you all updated.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Thanks again to all...

rets: You're right, however if you follow all four pages of that link, you'll get the play by play of my interaction w/ Acura over the past two months.

But here is the summary:

Purchase 2002 Tl Type S in '01 March. Failed tranny at 12,000 mi, the replacement failed in the parking lot of the dealership when i picked it up. New one put in (again)

Now, at 32,000 mi, tranny failed again. Replaced w/ current tranny. So technically tranny #3, but effectively #2. Both failures left me w/o power on the highway... downshifting into lower gears... happened w/o symptoms or warning.

Two months ago, filed my case w/ BBB stating I wanted Acura to give me my $34,000 back, or put me in a new TL (2004) and take my TLS.

They came back w/ several phone calls (acura did) stating effectively that i had no case, and i should give up this case. Next, BBB officially opened my case: they got acura to come back w/ this: i give acura my TL-S plus $11,000 and i get a new '04 TL.

I said no. Several back and forth phone calls with Honda now, a legal firm that i was talking to (for free.. they did NOT take my case b/c it did not fall under lemon law in illinois, but they gave me vague advice) ..

Acura says: what do you want. i re-state: i want you to buy back my car. They say, impossible. I say, then I'll take my car and business elsewhere and make sure I let everyone know what kind of company Honda is.

Honda: Your car + $6000.00 and sign a contract not to hold us liable for your TL-S.

Me: Deal, papers will be signed next week.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Hey PeterUber, I won a BBB case against Acura and I'm still trying to get those SOBs to make me happy. I'm wondering what kinda deal you got. I basically get the 04 replacement but they didn't want to put the body kit & other extras my current 03 has. I also have to pay $6k usage fee because my car had 22,000 miles when first problem appeared according to them. Look man, give me the 411 on your situation so I can assess my loses.
thanx bro.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

No lawyer fees.

The deal is as stated above.

I had two official tranny failures that are worth anything in court. Technically, though, the replacement for the 1st tranny failed on me, so technically 3rd tranny right now. But as far as Illinois lemon law is concerned, this is my second tranny.

BBB was effective in this way:
They forced Acura to come back w/ a settlement, rather than just having a PR person call me and laugh at my claim and tell me I had no chance of winning this resolution.

BBB was INeffective in the following way:
They did not go to bat for me when I considered the first offer a joke. They stated they agreed with Acura, and that my TL-S plus $11,000 was a fair offer and was consistent w/ BBB rules (depreciation, mileage, etc).

I was effective for myself in the following way:
I fought on the phone w/ Honda, and told them that they were putting me in jeopardy, and this car is unsafe to drive. I would never buy Honda again, and never regard them as a reputable company.

They met me in the middle, I was content. Honda has redeemed "some" of their reputation w/ me at this point.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks again to all...

rets: You're right, however if you follow all four pages of that link, you'll get the play by play of my interaction w/ Acura over the past two months.

But here is the summary:

Purchase 2002 Tl Type S in '01 March. Failed tranny at 12,000 mi, the replacement failed in the parking lot of the dealership when i picked it up. New one put in (again)

Now, at 32,000 mi, tranny failed again. Replaced w/ current tranny. So technically tranny #3, but effectively #2. Both failures left me w/o power on the highway... downshifting into lower gears... happened w/o symptoms or warning.

Two months ago, filed my case w/ BBB stating I wanted Acura to give me my $34,000 back, or put me in a new TL (2004) and take my TLS.

They came back w/ several phone calls (acura did) stating effectively that i had no case, and i should give up this case. Next, BBB officially opened my case: they got acura to come back w/ this: i give acura my TL-S plus $11,000 and i get a new '04 TL.

I said no. Several back and forth phone calls with Honda now, a legal firm that i was talking to (for free.. they did NOT take my case b/c it did not fall under lemon law in illinois, but they gave me vague advice) ..

Acura says: what do you want. i re-state: i want you to buy back my car. They say, impossible. I say, then I'll take my car and business elsewhere and make sure I let everyone know what kind of company Honda is.

Honda: Your car + $6000.00 and sign a contract not to hold us liable for your TL-S.

Me: Deal, papers will be signed next week.

I kind of follow you now. Thanks for this outline.

Congratulations. This is really the good deal. But you also spent the hell of efforts to fight with them.

What's you're going to buy next?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
He's getting a SSM 04 TL w/o navi. And he deserves no less for his persistence. Way to go, Peter!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Safety Car

neuronbob: THanks for all your support since the beginning. I've noted your posts of support w/ each of my threads, and I haven't forgotten. Thanks again my friend.

Idaten: I seem to have gotten a better deal than you .. i did NOT accept the BBB's decision and chose to push even further. I have gone thru TWO transmissions in my '02, how many have you gone thru in your '03? Perhaps you have more room to negotiate, have you signed anything? I hope not.

BBB wanted me to sign the documents for the first deal and call it a night. Acura wanted that too. I refused to sign it. That essentially indicated that should anything ever happen as a result of my defective vehicle, i can STILL pursue a lawsuit against the car company. With signing any agreement, I subsequently relinquish that ability to do so.

Idaten, i hope you haven't signed anything bro.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PeterUbers,

With all the grief you've gone through, I sure hope the 04TL is going pleasantly surprise you and perform even better than you expected. You surely deserve a smooth ride from here on out ...
Old 02-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

GotJazz:

Thank you for your post, I certainly hope you're right my friend. I have read very positive things about the '04TL, but as you can all imagine, i'm a little soured by this whole experience (since the failure of my first tranny in June '02). Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence in Acura/Honda product, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, as you suggested! THanks again.

I'll be going in there btw w/ a list of all the comprehensive early build problems which you good folks have meticulously arranged and kept up .. that's a great tool for me to evaluate the new car that I take home. If ONE thing isn't right on the car i select, i'm looking or waiting for another one on the lot.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
neuronbob: THanks for all your support since the beginning. I've noted your posts of support w/ each of my threads, and I haven't forgotten. Thanks again my friend.

Idaten: I seem to have gotten a better deal than you .. i did NOT accept the BBB's decision and chose to push even further. I have gone thru TWO transmissions in my '02, how many have you gone thru in your '03? Perhaps you have more room to negotiate, have you signed anything? I hope not.

BBB wanted me to sign the documents for the first deal and call it a night. Acura wanted that too. I refused to sign it. That essentially indicated that should anything ever happen as a result of my defective vehicle, i can STILL pursue a lawsuit against the car company. With signing any agreement, I subsequently relinquish that ability to do so.

Idaten, i hope you haven't signed anything bro.
You indeed go t a good deal, and the thing with Honda, is that if you are patient and very persistant, I have found they will assist you. However, you are a prime potential claimant if there was a problem with your transmission in the future to sue their a$$es off if you were injured in any way, and let the punititive damages excellerate. Corporate America are not as concerned with general bodily injury claima as Punitive claims which can be devastating as the courts would punish a compay like Honda based on hurting them financially, and that would be huge dollars for a company of Hondas size and considerable wealth.

Congratulations, and you must have been the prick from hell.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

PeterUbers, congrats on the resolution! I know how good of a feeling it is to have that finally resolved. The piece of mind of just getting out of that car is well worth it. My 04 TL is due in a couple of weeks or so (they had to make it as I wanted a particular color with Navi - which my old one had). When reviewing the Waiver and Release, don't worry too much about signing it immediately. Also, if your deal was that there would be no surcharges for excessive wear and tear (excessive dings, tire wear, etc.) on your vehicle, then Honda's standard waiver and release does not exclude this, so you will have to argue with them on that point get new language cleared through their legal department. Normally, Honda hires an "independent" company to assess the vehicle. Since I wanted tp minimize any surprises, I required that my dealership perform a preassessment of the vehicle to determine what issues the "independent" company may point out so that I could address it beforehand at more reasonable market prices, like 2 new tires. Since you likely won't have to wait as long on your car since it is a non-navi, this issue may present itself sooner rather than later. Tell them that you want a draft of the waiver and release to have your counsel review and comment on it. Feel free to "PM" me with any further questions.

As for my vehicle, I just can't wait to have this whole experience behind me and get my new TL.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Signed on the dotted line today: By signing I stated that I released Honda from any liability associated w/ my tranny issues. The are now obligated to provide me with a 2004 TL for the cost of $6000.00 to me (for agreed depreciation) given the following:

1) I repair on my own a ding in the side of my car
2) No blatant abuse is caused to my car

I got a silver one w/ ebony interior.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Congrats PeterUbers. I just got a SSM TL with Ebony interior and Navi. Thank god my TL did not have any of the build problems that others have had. Mine was built on Feb. 2nd and delivered on the 12th. So far so good!