Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wire routing for 07 side mirror mod??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wire routing for 07 side mirror mod??

hello all, i have searched for an answer but have not found one. how do you physically route the wire up to the turn signal wire. i have installed the mirrors and they look great, no more blind spots either! cannot figure where to run wire from door into engine bay... rubber 's" boot is blocked by wiring plugs.. thanks for any help offered!...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check it dude.... this is how i did it.... the pink/black cable is the only cable that needs to be connected to anything the rest is plug n play..... well maybe a bitch to do it 1000% heeerree we go...im gonna try to explain without pics of this because u get extremely dirty n handling a digi while dirty aint fun at all...anyway.

1. unscrew all the bolts from the old mirrors n screw them into the new one after removing the new bolts. save everything from the old mirrors n new ones

2. pop the mirror in and screw it down n dont plug the harness in just yet....

3. take the pink/black cable n splice into it peel the plastic back whatever u want just have the cable exposed I peeled,soldered, shrink wrapped the whole thing.

4. now disconnect the wiring harness in the door by the hinges... top n bottom rubber n plugs and push the clip on the bottom of the harness in the door up so that it unhinges n falls into the door.

5. keep in mind u need to take the speakers out of the doors because your going to pull out the door harness through there for about 4 mins.

6. look at the door harness frontal view with the arrow on the side pointing up. on the lower left hand corner theres a lil tiny box hole that enables the rubber to clip in so it doesnt slip off the harness. on the outside of the door I made a tiny hole with a dremel in the upper corner of that box in the harness just big enough for the cable for the turn signal cable to pass through. I also kept the gauge thin on the cable the current isnt that heavy on the line.I used 16guage to be exact.

7. now its time u plug the harness back into the door and run the cable through the rubber hose on the outside. dont attach any harnesses back until u run the cable through the rubber... I took a hanger cut it up and made a j hook at the end and looped the cable in it started at the bottom of the rubber n pushed the cable through upwards the first time around i tried from the top and pull the cable through but that tangled shit andit was pretty dumb not to think b4 i did that. plus its easier to maneuver the hanger wire through the rubber while u push up. once the cable has a lil play on the side of the mirror you can plug the mirror harness in and close up the panel make sure u double n triple check the connections.

8. once ur cable is through the rubber and is hanging from the top plug in the blue n white harnesses and clip the plastic/rubber ends back in for a snug fit. then continue to fish the cable to the fuse box. add an extra 6 inches by the box to feel comfortable working with it. if not cut it shorter if u can work in tight spaces. like i did. repeat for the other door.

9. now remove the kick panel on the drivers side. there are a few harnesses plugging into the fuse box. theres only one white one. that contains the turn signal circuit. left side circuit is the red/blue cable. and the right side(passenger) is the white cable both wires are on the white harness. itll be a bitch either to remove the harness from the socket or work with it plugged in... I have a tool that strips cables literally on the fly so I stripped it back while plugged in and soldered n taped the cable up. i wish u luck i wish i had pics. If ur in NY id help u at my shop if not ask all the questions u want
Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
so all the left and right wire are connected to the fuse box. No need to run it to the front signal.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Tripnbeats-Great writeup. Thanks.

This may convince a lot of people that their old mirrors are perfectly good and don't need replacing,
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced

thanks tripnbeats. appreciate all the detailed info... im not as handy with tedious installs... is there a way to run wire up to front blinker bulbs that would be less involved? i have read a few posts that say how easy this is , but no one has explained how they ran wire up to the blinkers.... thanks again for your help
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

no prob 05
Ron, thanks lol!
but not for nothing the visibility is increased by the new mirrors and the blinker is kinda cool =)
Tedious is not even the word
Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran my wires to the front and hated doing this mod more than any other. Although I do apprciate the fact the blind spot is gone and the blinker lights look good, if I knew what a PITA it was to do I'd surely skip it.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
tripnbeats

I am only 5 min away from the GWB and i wanted to know if you can help me with these mirrors. I have a 04 TL.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

yup no prob dude PM me
Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

I finished this mod, but had a question.....I have had other aftermarket mirrors on a Z I had, and on that car, I was able to hook up the mirrors to the side markers and signals simultaneously, so that when I turned on the side markers, the mirrors' LEDs would light up. They would also blink when I turned on either signal. So can this be done with the 07 mirrors, or will they only turn on when I am signaling? Would I have problems because the wires from the side markers and the turn signals would cross?

I thought having them on all the time like the side markers would be cool. I hope it can be done. Any thoughts?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

on the fuse panel theres a harness thats white....on that harness theres a wire thats white and a wire thats blue\red those are the turn signl circuits ill double check in the am in the wiring book.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
on the fuse panel theres a harness thats white....on that harness theres a wire thats white and a wire thats blue\red those are the turn signl circuits ill double check in the am in the wiring book.

Yeah, thanks, I was able to hook those up, but what I want to know is whether there is a way to have them lit continuously and also blink when a turn signal is turned on. The only thing I can think of is also wiring to the side markers, so that they tuern on when the markers are lit. I figured doing this might cause problems, i.e. crossed wires, so I posted the question......
Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

oh with a diode.... ill figure it out tomorrow