Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper blades rip right off

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiper blades rip right off

I encountered a streaking problem across my passenger side windshield when I used my wipers back in march and when it went in for service they replaced it for $5 . Can't beat that. Now the drivers side is streaking real bad dead centre of the windshield obstructing my vision. First I thought something like a small leaf or a bug was stuck under the blade but on close inspection the rubber has seperated from itself over a 2 inch area. For $5 to replace it, thats great, but I have never had wiper blades that lasted so short a time (1.5 years) and with the same outcome each time.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine really sucked too - I couldn't figure out why a brand new car has such shitty wiper blades. After a few searches on AZ I replaced them with PIAA Super Silicone blades - these are great. They really give a good clean wipe........
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
For those of you with the OEM blades, you can try rubbing some fine (ideally 150+ grit) sandpaper along the wiper blade edges a couple of times. You will be amazed at how this will improve your wiper blade performance. Wiper blades collect oils and all types of crap that cause them to streak. If the blades are in good shape with no tears or rips in them, this trick should work for you. I can get about 2 years out of a set of blades.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Mine really sucked too - I couldn't figure out why a brand new car has such shitty wiper blades. After a few searches on AZ I replaced them with PIAA Super Silicone blades - these are great. They really give a good clean wipe........
is piaa much better than stock blades or bosch brands???
i am thinking getting bosch one but want to try piaa.

and where can i find the size of the blade?

right and left same?

thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about Bosch - I read several threads and the majority seemed to lean to the PIAA

You can check them out here

http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/WiperBlades.html
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I like my wiper blades. Generally, I had to replace my blades about once a year when I was on the east coast. You can also look into getting the Valeo Ultimates. I've seen them on many new cars now.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...=a_WiperBlades
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced

I want to add something here that is relative to this discussion or maybe not but good to know. This winter while shopping at Sams Club I found this yellow windshield washer fluid which was made by Rainx Used it for the winter and still have it in there. For those that have used the wipe on version of this product, it is some form of silicon based fluid that makes water bead up and fly off your windshield while driving in the rain. I virtually need no wipers in the heaviest of downpours now. I wonder if that chemical had anything to do with the damage to the wiper baldes.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by barry stevens
This winter while shopping at Sams Club I found this yellow windshield washer fluid which was made by Rainx Used it for the winter and still have it in there. For those that have used the wipe on version of this product, it is some form of silicon based fluid that makes water bead up and fly off your windshield while driving in the rain. I virtually need no wipers in the heaviest of downpours now. I wonder if that chemical had anything to do with the damage to the wiper baldes.
Hmm... Maybe the wiper blades dry rotted from lack of use! (J/K) I've been told they should be replaced once a year, but I've gotten 2 years of service out of the OEM blades on my truck and they are still going strong. I apply Rain-X to it about twice a year, but have never tried the Rain-X wiper fluid.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced

I tried the RainX wipe on/wipe off windshield liquid on my wife's van a few years ago. I followed application directions including wiping off any excess a few times after initial application. Glare from oncoming headlights made night driving on a two lane road an adventure. No more RainX for us in any form. JC
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Rain x fluid adds a layer of protection to the glass
Carnuba car wax works good too

Bosch ICON blade assembly-internal springs, aero spoiler built in- BUY THEM ~$18 each
check with parts store- some years vary but most use 19A on right on 24A on driver side
the A denotes wipers that go left to operate- the B model is made to go right
- spoiler is different

Blame big industry for destroying the Ozone Layer.
Wiper blades sit on hot glass under baking hot sun and they are made of rubber
And you get 1.5 yrs on $5 OE blade refills? wow-

The bosch ICON will replace the entire wiper arm/blade part, giving perfect full contact and sits lower profile against the window.
As their ad says- Only Grandma hugs tighter!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
One thing many people aren't aware of is that the blades themselves have to be lifted off the windshield and wiped clean whenever you wash the car. Even some of the places that do handjobs overlook this.

On another note, I do have occassional squeaking when they wipe, even in hard rain.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
Even some of the places that do handjobs overlook this.
Hmm... If I were at one of these places, I doubt I'd be worrying about my wiper blades...
Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny,
My passenger blade (OEM) tore in the middle just last week. But heck, my TL's an 2004 thus no complaints. Then again, unfortunately not a whole lot of wiper use here in the Dallas area the last 4 years.......
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
01 CL_S SMR

Wow are some of you really complaining about $5 a year? I change my wiper blades once a year now that Im in texas and it used to be 3 times every 2 years when I lived in portland Oregon, you bought 30+ Thousand dollar cars, just get the best wiper blades out there and call it a day
Old 05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
The Boss

1.5 years isn't bad, I replace mine every 8~10 months regardless the condition. It's only $7 for godsakes.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Instructor

I belive its where you live. Ive owned 3 cars in 2 different locations. First in Northern Cali which my wiper blades would last about a year. Then In Guam I had to swap them out every 4-5 months. Now back in Central Coast Cali its been about 8 months and wipers still going strong. Not too sure why my blades were getting eaten up in Guam but I used it daily because alot of dust would collect on my windsheild, and alot of rain to boot.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Sales at Camco Acura

Don't get the PIAA wiper blades, they only last 1year more for me. I'm Canada and I didn't use it in winter.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just changed mine today at the dealership while getting the oil changed.

I changed it to the RainX Lattitude wipers..cost about 20 dollar a piece..just hope it worth the money!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Indy Paul
Hmm... If I were at one of these places, I doubt I'd be worrying about my wiper blades...
........................................... .................................................

Ok, ok, I couldn't resist........... (old guy fantasy) sorry.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by barry stevens
I encountered a streaking problem across my passenger side windshield when I used my wipers back in march and when it went in for service they replaced it for $5 . Can't beat that. Now the drivers side is streaking real bad dead centre of the windshield obstructing my vision. First I thought something like a small leaf or a bug was stuck under the blade but on close inspection the rubber has seperated from itself over a 2 inch area. For $5 to replace it, thats great, but I have never had wiper blades that lasted so short a time (1.5 years) and with the same outcome each time.
Same here, 1.5 years, and at my last oil change they noticed both were torn and replaced the inserts for $14.00. I think this is a great price, and plan to get it done at least once a year.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP66

and they were on sale at Tire Rack about a month ago when I picked up a set for my DC5.