Wiper Blade Problems, HELP!!!/Which Wiper Blades are Best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010 | 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wiper Blade Problems, HELP!!!/Which Wiper Blades are Best?

here is the situation everyone, I had my wiper inserts replaced at my Acura dealer last December and already the OEM inserts are streaking like crazy and smearing the window, and it is only getting worse! I am no way going back to Acura to put on more streaking/smearing OEM blade inserts!

I want to replace the blades completely and am interested in putting on the bracketless beam blade design! I've narrowed down the choices to the Bosch Icons/Evolutions vs the Trico NeoForm Beam Blades with Teflon tech!

I wanted to know if any of you have used either one and if so what do you recommend? I've heard a lot of people recommend the PIAA Silicon blades but they have the old bracket housing and I really wanted to update the blades to the new beam design!

look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions!
Old 03-25-2010 | 11:39 AM
Team Owner

icons and now their newer version the evolutions are excellent choices, the spoiler blade design helps keep them planted on the glass at speed

a main prob on glass is car wash spray wax, or general gunk from the air stuck on the glass..causes streaks and rubber tears

use rubbing alcohol on newspaper to clean the class-no kidding
Claybar, as used on paint, works to remove gritted material from glass- use soapy water and rub claybar around

When clean, coat glass with rainx and install new blades- you are set
Old 03-25-2010 | 11:55 AM
Safety Car

oem inserts are not designed to last long, although i did get 2+ years from mine but my car goes from my garage at home to the garage at work...

i replaced mine with the rainx blades and they are great soo far...i am not paying 20 bucks a piece for the other ones...
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:00 PM
Drifting

PIAA Super Silicones rock!
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the replies, I have cleaned the windshield several times with newspaper/ rubbing alcohol and wiped down the blades with hot soapy water and rinse them off and to no eval! they streaked and smeared yesterday just as if I hadn't cleaned them!

I've heard the PIAA Silicone's are really good, but as I said I don't really want the old bracket housing design which they have!

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:58 PM
Full of water...

i have these on the big blade
http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detai...c+Transmission

and these on the other
http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detai...c+Transmission

and i LOVE them!! no issues. i used the Valeo frameless ones and the end cap came off during use and scratched the s**t out of my windshield. so i am sticking with these. the silicon is great, regardless of brand, because at driving speeds you dont even need the wipers. not as good as Rain-X, but close and a lot less work to apply.
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:59 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by smarty666

I've heard the PIAA Silicone's are really good, but as I said I don't really want the old bracket housing design which they have!

why are you against this design?
Old 03-25-2010 | 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blkaspec
why are you against this design?
because its old and looks boring! the flat beam design reduces amount of wind and noise during normal driving and while in use because they don't have all those opening the bracket style has for wind to get caught in and make noise!

plus, none of my local stores carry the PIAA's and I'm old school of the type I like to look and buy something sight seen, so in case there is a problem I can return them to the store; I would have to buy the PIAAs online and if something is wrong with them or if they don't work out its a much bigger pain in the a$% to ship them back then simply returning to the store!
Old 03-25-2010 | 02:27 PM
Full of water...

i love the sight seen method, but tirerack is easy to buy from and return to, and they ship in like a day. i would much rather research and have it shipped to me than spend the extra time driving around which usually ends in me not finding what i want. but you do what works best for you
Old 03-25-2010 | 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blkaspec
i love the sight seen method, but tirerack is easy to buy from and return to, and they ship in like a day. i would much rather research and have it shipped to me than spend the extra time driving around which usually ends in me not finding what i want. but you do what works best for you
cool beans

no, I hear you man, I've order tires and brakes from tirerack before and they are pretty good with shipping and little time! I'll see! I'm leaning toward the Trico's only because they are teflon coated, which after researching, I don't think the Bosch are and that is suppose to help keep them against the windshield better and reduce noise! I'll see, I still have some time! It isn't going to rain for a few days where I live!
Old 03-25-2010 | 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think I'm going to start a new post asking for what wiper blade people have found work best on the TL!
Old 03-25-2010 | 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

What Wiper Blades Work Best on the 3rd Gen TL???

I had another forum going on a wiper blade problem and I'm agonizing on what ones to get! when it really comes down to it, design doesn't matter, I want a blade that is streak/smear free for at least a year before replacing and I'm certainly not getting anywhere close to that for the OEM Honda blade inserts!

I was thinking of getting the Bosch Evolutions, Trico NeoForm Beam Blade with Teflon Tech, or PIAA Super Silicon! do any of you recommend any of these?

I want to hear your !!!

P.S. - Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, I know the Rain-X latitudes are a popular wiper but I actually tried them last year and took them back, 1/3rd of the passenger side blade didn't even tough the windshield rendering it completely useless and I wasn't going to put up with that so I returned them, so please nobody mention those!!!
Old 03-25-2010 | 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I had another forum going on a wiper blade problem and I'm agonizing on what ones to get! when it really comes down to it, design doesn't matter, I want a blade that is streak/smear free for at least a year before replacing and I'm certainly not getting anywhere close to that for the OEM Honda blade inserts!

I was thinking of getting the Bosch Evolutions, Trico NeoForm Beam Blade with Teflon Tech, or PIAA Super Silicon! do any of you recommend any of these?

I want to hear your !!!

P.S. - Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, I know the Rain-X latitudes are a popular wiper but I actually tried them last year and took them back, 1/3rd of the passenger side blade didn't even tough the windshield rendering it completely useless and I wasn't going to put up with that so I returned them, so please nobody mention those!!!
lol 2 threads just on wiper blades just get the PIAA its not that complicated
Old 03-25-2010 | 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

so the PIAA Super Silicons r just that damn good huh?
Old 03-25-2010 | 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

so the PIAA Super Silicons r just that damn good huh?
Ya i just purchased a set a couple days ago and so far they seem good
Old 03-25-2010 | 04:01 PM
Drifting

One exists---check the 3G Garage and/or search and you will find!
Old 03-25-2010 | 05:25 PM
Safety Car

i just put some rain x ones that look just like oem...they work great..
Old 03-25-2010 | 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I have Bosch Icons, they are good so far. PIAA is good to.
Old 03-25-2010 | 05:36 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Michelin
Old 03-25-2010 | 05:47 PM
ChicagoNick

Pee Uh

PIAA Silicon for sure...

I picked up a set last fall and they made it through a tough winter. Never switched to my winter blades. They work just as good now as the first day I bought them. They don't make noise, either.

Buy'em.
Old 03-25-2010 | 06:19 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

PIAA silicone FTW. I've got some after I read those threads in the fall and they rock. They have lasted an entire winter here in northern Utah (that's saying something) and they still work like new. Definitely worth the extra price.
Old 03-25-2010 | 07:00 PM
Team Owner

if you get a year out of blades, thats good these days.

the Ozone was a nice thing to have~ I miss it already

Those who park outside can slip a coverwrap of foam pipe insulation over the blades/between glass and blade in summer- if its 100 it does help and they wont stick
Works great on the motorhome

Any major name blade is fine is the consensus??
same for oil and filter and tire and gas! who wudda thunk

the icons have a cool spoiler built into the edge - made to prevent lift- creates downforce to stick the blade to the glass in motion- and direct air up the windshield instead of at its seal edge when at rest, I like them

clean the glass and rainx or similar product idea--
Tip: in an emergency, cut a potato in half and rub inner part on glass- instant rain protection...freaky but true
Learned on 4wd backcountry trip and wipers failed,,,mud rain puddles
Old 03-25-2010 | 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Bosch Icon's FTW!!!
Old 03-25-2010 | 10:30 PM
10th Gear

+4 on the icons
Old 03-25-2010 | 10:34 PM
One on the right for me

I use rainx wipers. They seem to last a long time.
Old 03-26-2010 | 07:24 AM
Spinnin them beats

Originally Posted by enigmaos
Michelin

cheaper than the overpriced latitudes, imo alot better too.

18 bucks for one, amazing wipers for the money.
Old 03-26-2010 | 07:49 AM
Advanced

I am quite happy with my Rain-X!
Old 03-26-2010 | 07:57 AM
Safety Car

i cant believe some of you guys are paying 50 bucks for a set of wiper blades, when you can get a decent set for 20 bucks at autozone...

ps, put a decent sealant on your windshield...i use 4 star ultimate paint protection on my windshield and most of the time i dont even need my wipers on while i am on the highway....plus, it will help your blades last longer as the windshield will be slicker and create less resistance for the blades...
Old 03-26-2010 | 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

I clay bar, then Zaino Z2 the windshield. It works like Rain-X. Six years and going strong in Florida on the OEMs.

But car is garage kept and low miles.
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

The one thing I don't understand is everyone is recommending something different for cleaning the windshield; several people have mentioned clay bar, Zaino Z2, 4star, etc I have never heard of any of these products; what exactly are they and where can you get them?

I was always told the best and cheapest way to clean the windshield is to apply rubbing alcohol to the glass and wipe clean with a newspaper?

Another question I have is, I thought if you bought and use the PIAA Super Silicons that those blades come with and apply silicon to the windshield everytime they are used which is suppose to keep the glass clean and allow the blades from drying out?
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I just replace my windshiled when it gets dirty no need for cleaners or clay or anything...you should go that route
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
I just replace my windshiled when it gets dirty no need for cleaners or clay or anything...you should go that route
hahaha, very funny
Old 03-26-2010 | 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Zaino products are obtained online at www.zainobros.com. But I wouldn't buy the Sealant products for the windshield alone. Z2, Z5, etc. are sealants for the paint but also work on the windshield similar to RainX. Zaino products are pricey but they last for years because you use so little.

Clay bars are sold in any auto parts stores like Discount, Advance, NAPA, and so forth. Mothers and Meguiars both sell kits including clay bar and lubricant for the claybar.

You can find more details in the Wash & Wax forum.
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:31 PM
Safety Car

The one thing I don't understand is everyone is recommending something different for cleaning the windshield; several people have mentioned clay bar, Zaino Z2, 4star, etc I have never heard of any of these products; what exactly are they and where can you get them?

I was always told the best and cheapest way to clean the windshield is to apply rubbing alcohol to the glass and wipe clean with a newspaper?

Another question I have is, I thought if you bought and use the PIAA Super Silicons that those blades come with and apply silicon to the windshield everytime they are used which is suppose to keep the glass clean and allow the blades from drying out?
all these other products are for paint, just wax your windshield just like you would your paint!!

i happen to use 4 star for my paint, its a synthetic paint sealant, i use this instead of wax...its better in my opinion and last longer
Old 03-27-2010 | 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

so here is the update guys, I was also having OEM streaking/smearing on my Maxima wiper blades so I bought a set of Bosch Icon's to try out on the Maxima, because to be frank, the one or two guys who said they caused grooves in their TL's windshield scared me; for the heck of it, before I put them on my Max, I tried the passenger Icon on the TL and that one, just like the Rain-X lats, 1/3 of the far right of the blade DOES NOT touch the window!

I am glad I didn't get the Icon's for the TL after seeing that! I really think that the TL is not designed to have the new flat beam blade wiper design on the car; the only other one I could try is Trico NeoForms but I think I might run into the same trouble with them, since they are beam blade, like the Icons!

I think I'm going to play it safe and order a set of PIAAs from tirerack or wipers123.com since the majority of you guys recommended them!

Once I get new blades and try them out through a few storms, I'll give you guys feedback!

By the way, if I do get the PIAAs, can you still use Rain-X cleaner/repellant be okay to use to clean the windshield using newspaper to wipe it off? I just want to make sure that mixing the silicon residue the blades leave on the window with the Rain-X won't make some weird or terrible glaze or thing across the windshield?

Feedback will be appreciated!!
Old 03-27-2010 | 11:17 PM
#GOBULLS

I have the Neoform's on my TL and they are pretty snug to the windshield. They wipe well too. I am probably going to try these new silicone blade by Armor all next since they are cheaper than other silicone options.
Old 03-27-2010 | 11:23 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

OEM inserts. Change these out annually. Cost=$10 + tax.
Old 03-28-2010 | 12:26 AM
Drifting

By the way, if I do get the PIAAs, can you still use Rain-X cleaner/repellant be okay to use to clean the windshield using newspaper to wipe it off? I just want to make sure that mixing the silicon residue the blades leave on the window with the Rain-X won't make some weird or terrible glaze or thing across the windshield?

Feedback will be appreciated!!
Of course you can use the Rain-X. The PIAA Super Silicone will lay down a layer of silicone on the windshield which may allow you to skip a month or two of the Rain-X, but yes, continue to apply the Rain-X per your schedule.
Old 03-28-2010 | 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by princelybug
OEM inserts. Change these out annually. Cost=$10 + tax.
News Flash, the OEM inserts suck! I paid my Acura dealer $10 bucks plus tax and they streaked brand new from day one. I never saw something more ridiculous in my life. I used hot soapy water to clean the blades and put Rain-X cleaner/repellant on after each car wash and they streaked no matter how much I keep the blades and windshield clean!

I have only had these OEM insersts about 3 months now and I am sick of the streaking and now they are beginning to smear a little bit. Shame on AcuraI bought a set of Trico NeoForm Beam blades to try because they were having a sale and a mail in rebate. If they don't work out I'll try the PIAA's super silicons! I have Bosch Icon's on another car and I'll wait to see how they are!
Old 03-28-2010 | 02:20 AM
2011 BMW 335i

I have some Valeo wiper blades, they kinda look like the ones that come on the TSXs and other european cars...they only last a couple years though. I bought them tirerack.com

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Problems, HELP!!!/Which Wiper Blades are Best?