Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield fluid - frozen??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Question windshield fluid - frozen??

All this cold weather, driving in snow/salt covered roads, I find myself using the windshield washer fluid quite often. I don't know if the fluid is frozen, or if the nozzles are not working but for some reason I can't get any fluid out on my windshield, instead I get the wipers making the windshield even worst by spreeding the salt residues all over.

Every time I get in or out of the car, I totally forget to check to see if the fluid is frozen. I was under the assumption that washer fluid does not freeze. I don't know what honda used for the factory fill either, but I assume its all the same. I know for a fact that I have not run out of the fluid, because I hardly used it prior to getting this cold weather. I also hate how there is no button to just spray the fluid and not turn the wipers on.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure there is fluid?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

The washer fluid might not be frozen, BUT the snow/ice wedges its way into the eyeholes and freezes shut. <-----That'be my guess. Just use some cool water to unclog and then use the wipers and see.

Depending how cold, windshield washer fluid will freeze. They make all kinds of fluids that have wide ranges of, "Good up to blah blah degrees."

Hope that helps

miiipilot
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
if the fluid is freezing, get windshield de-icer, it tends to freeze at lower temps then regular fluid
Old 01-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
EDIT NOTE: I have since found out this procedure is incorrect and appologize for any confusion this may cause. The correct procedure is outlined in posts #29 and #30 below.

On my 04TL, I found that if I pull the lever back almost all the way, the washer will spray but the wipers don't come on until I pull it back some more. It is not super sensitive and there is a little leeway there. I thought maybe it was designed this way so you could wet the windshield as much as you want to before the wipers come on. Try it and let us know if yours works like this.

Maybe no one ever put any washer solution or de-icer in the tank and you just have plain water, which would explain the freezing of the water at freezing temperatures.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
professional TL driver

first check to see if there is fluid in the tank, especially since you said you have been using it.... also you can add a little (note i said a little) rubbing alcohol to the fluid, this will help keep it from freezing, just about 8-12 oz to every gallon of fluid... and mix it well before adding it in to the tank
Old 01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Safety Car

here is an update, I finally checked the fluid container, and since it was dark outside, I couldn't see any fluid in it, but I couldn't see all the way....on the dipstick, if you will, I saw that the bottom part was wet, so there was fluid in there.....just to be sure, I picked up a gallon of washer fluid from drug fair, and filled it up...well, that didn't do me any good, cause nothing was coming out still....so I took some hot water in a spray bottle, and sprayed the nozzles so in case they were frozen, or some ice stuck in them, it would melt it...well, I tried and tried, but nothing is coming out....I even tried to listen to the motor but I could only here the wiper motor, unless the washer fluid motor is exteremely quiet...I was standing outside when I did this....well, I just hope it starts working when temperature goes above freezing...or else I see a dealer trip coming..I hate those..

ron...I tried holding it all the way in, but the bloody wipers still come on, not once, not twice, but three wipes...
Old 01-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by badboy
ron...I tried holding it all the way in, but the bloody wipers still come on, not once, not twice, but three wipes...
You missed the "almost all the way" part of my post. If I pull the lever until just before the wipers come on, the washer fluid will spray but the wipers won't come on until I pull the lever all the way in.

Try pulling the lever slowly towards you and see if yours don't work the same. I can't guarantee they will but mine does and maybe yours will too.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

anyone else have problems similar to mine??

Ron...I don't think I'll be able to try that until I get this problem fixed....I won't know when the washer kicks in, meaning, I don't know when "almost all the way" is if there is nothing coming out....but I will try it once again when everything is fixed...hopefully on its own, I regret going to the dealer the past couple of times...
Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having the same issue a few weeks ago and it turned out that the washer motor fuse was blown. I suspect this may be the issue, especially given that you cannot hear the motor noise...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 PM
7th Gear

Freezing Issues

Just my two cents... And I'm not sure if this is your case or not... But the first winter I had by TL - my windshield fluid froze all the time. What I found out (on my own) makes perfect sense...

I'm in Missouri - so we get some fun winters. However, the 04 TL that I purchased was actually shipped to Texas originally - then shipped up to Kansas City in a dealer trade.

The original washer fluid didn't have the anti-freeze agents in it as you would assume for cold weather. It simply didn't freeze in Texas. Simply adding new windshield fluid (with the common anti-freeze additives) fixed my problem.

Hopefully it'll be that simple for you!

Thanks!

_DS
Old 01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

I was having the same issue a few weeks ago and plus rearveiw mirrow wont dim - it's same fuse. I suspect this may be the issue, especially given that you cannot hear the motor noise...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
You missed the "almost all the way" part of my post. If I pull the lever until just before the wipers come on, the washer fluid will spray but the wipers won't come on until I pull the lever all the way in.

Try pulling the lever slowly towards you and see if yours don't work the same. I can't guarantee they will but mine does and maybe yours will too.
This definitely works. I use it all the time.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Check hoses running from resevoir - I one time had a crack in the hose - so she was sucking air.

Do you park in your garage - if yes, then freezing should be ruled out easily - unless your garage has no door - it will be above freezing and any frozen hoses will clear.

also, try taking the hose off near the wipers - or wherever you can as you move towards wipers - this way you can determine if you are getting fluid out of the resevoir at all.

I use fine wire to unclog the sprayers if that is found to be the problem.

Good luck. Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had mine adjusted 4 times because it squirts too low. If I do the half-trigger thing to get it to just spray and not wipe, it sprays all over the wiper arm and never makes it to the window so it's pretty much useless for me. If they adjust it to not it the wiper arm, then it shoots over the roof and never hits the glass that way.

I like the hidden nozzles, but ya'd think they could get the aim down better.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 AM
i am trying to believe

I had this problem with one of my previous cars, what I did was take some hot water and a pin and cleaned out the nozzles. After adding some cleaner w/ anti freeze they worked fine. Goodluck

~ B.Good
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thing you can do is if you have the hoses off as TBone said, take compressed air that you use on the computer or around the office put the little red straw right on the nozzle, and blow it back in the nozzle, not from the hose side, but from the outside, and see if anything comes back out. My Accord was jammed that way one time, something came up the hose and stuck, and had to get it out from the hose side, it was too big to make it out the nozzle.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Good Info guys, I thank you guys for sharing...

I'll do some of the things mentioned above tonight, like check to see if the hose is frozen, and if the fluid is making it to the nozzles...

I also like what is being said about a busted fuse...can someone go into details about where I'll be able to find this fuse and if tl has extra fuses in the cover that I can use. I have the service manual, but it is at home and I am not planning on going home tonight....

I have got another problem today, my mirrors don't work, actually thats not a true statement.....My drivers side mirror doesn't move left or up, but it moves down and right...which sucks, now that I tested it out, I can't put it back so I can use it....is it okay to manually bang it back so I use it...I think I might start another thread about the mirrors...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I have got another problem today, my mirrors don't work, actually thats not a true statement.....My drivers side mirror doesn't move left or up, but it moves down and right...which sucks, now that I tested it out, I can't put it back so I can use it....is it okay to manually bang it back so I use it...I think I might start another thread about the mirrors...
I think if you search on the mirror problem you might find out that it is indeed a fuse... THere was a thread recently regarding such an issue...

EDIT: Here you go.... Read THIS!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=mirrors+work
Old 01-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

DarkWraith33, thanks for the link to the post....apparently I have the same problem and a blown fuse is the culprit....

I was going to do a search for mirror problems, and that would have gotten me to that thread...but you saved me some work...

Basically one fuse controls the function of
a. windshield washer fluid spray
b. side mirror only function in two directions
c. rear view mirror does not auto dim
d. side mirrors don't fold down when in reverse
e. seat memory settings don't work

I will try and put in the provided spare 7.5a fuse tonight in #20 fuse spot, and hopefuly it will solve all my problems.

Thanks for everyones replies.

word of advise for all the people that experience cold weather....do not try to turn your wipers on when you think they might be frozen to the windshield...apparently thats what blows the fuse, to prevent the wiper motor from damage....although, my wipers are still working so I don't know how it prevented damage..
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

DarkWraith33, thanks for the link to the post....apparently I have the same problem and a blown fuse is the culprit....

I was going to do a search for mirror problems, and that would have gotten me to that thread...but you saved me some work...

Basically one fuse controls the function of
a. windshield washer fluid spray
b. side mirror only function in two directions
c. rear view mirror does not auto dim
d. side mirrors don't fold down when in reverse
e. seat memory settings don't work

I will try and put in the provided spare 7.5a fuse tonight in #20 fuse spot, and hopefuly it will solve all my problems.

Thanks for everyones replies.
I think I am going to go and buy one of those extra fuse sets at Autozone as so many people have blown fuses... Just to have as spares!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Guys, I replaced the fuse with a spare provided...the memory seat was working, the mirrors were working, but when I switched on the wiper fluid, everything went out again, and the fuse blew once again....it seems like there is another problem that is causing this load on this fuse and blowing it....please reply if you have any information about this....

I am all out of spares, I need to get some fuses, can I stop by any auto store and find the size and amp of the fuse I want?

Thanks for the replies..
Old 01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

If it keeps blowing though... It might be something to get looked at!?

At least once it gets warm and the lines for the fluid are 100% clear... Maybe if they ARE blocked, that is what is overloading the circuit?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:56 PM
professional TL driver

the fuses you can get almost anywhere... all auto parts stores should carry them and even walmart...

you might have a short in the fluid pump which is causing the fuse to blow... as everything else works correctly.... it also may be frozen and causing it to blow. might end up having to take it to the dealer.... i hate tracking down electrical issues.... they suck (my 81 280zx had lots )
Old 01-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Guys, I replaced the fuse with a spare provided...the memory seat was working, the mirrors were working, but when I switched on the wiper fluid, everything went out again, and the fuse blew once again....it seems like there is another problem that is causing this load on this fuse and blowing it....please reply if you have any information about this....

I am all out of spares, I need to get some fuses, can I stop by any auto store and find the size and amp of the fuse I want?

Thanks for the replies..
TAKE IT IN TO YOUR DEALER. That's what a warranty is for.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally Posted by chilimost
I was having the same issue a few weeks ago and it turned out that the washer motor fuse was blown. I suspect this may be the issue, especially given that you cannot hear the motor noise...
i was about to say the same thing, one giveaway is the rear view mirror dimmer light is inop when the washer fluid pump blows the fuse, from the fluid being frozen the pump overloads trying to push it, check your rear view mirror if the green light is out - fuse is blown, make sure the fluid is thawed out also
Old 01-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

I don't understand how the fluid is frozen when i have half a bottle left in my trunk, which is fine.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 PM
www.drippinwet.com

smaller area of fluid near the nozzles, the fluid as a whole has more mass in the container in the trunk
Old 01-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

... I also hate how there is no button to just spray the fluid and not turn the wipers on.
Originally Posted by Ron A
Om my 04TL, I found that if I pull the lever back almost all the way, the washer will spray but the wipers don't come on until I pull it back some more. It is not super sensitive and there is a little leeway there. I thought maybe it was designed this way so you could wet the windshield as much as you want to before the wipers come on...
I don't know why, but mine seems only to work (spray without wiper moving) when pulling the lever back all the way quickly and immediately release it. I mean, once I pull and release it as soon as possible, I'll get some water sprayed without having my wipres moved. So, I have to do this a few times to get more spray around the windshield. Otherwise, my wiper will move. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rets
I don't know why, but mine seems only to work (spray without wiper moving) when pulling the lever back all the way quickly and immediately release it. I mean, once I pull and release it as soon as possible, I'll get some water sprayed without having my wipres moved. So, I have to do this a few times to get more spray around the windshield. Otherwise, my wiper will move. Thoughts?
You're right and I was wrong. I just did what I should have done before I posted and went out to the car to check out the procedure, and it works exactly as you said. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

This may have nothing to do with the frozen fluid, but thought I would throw something in based on my experience. I owned a car a few years back while living in Georgia. I went to a Jiffy Lube place and they topped off the windshield fluid when they changed the oil for a trip I was taking to NY. When I got up north, my fluid froze solid in the tank. Come to find out, they filled the reservoir with a concentrated windshield fluid and topped it off with WATER instead of using straight fluid. I'm not sure if you used fluid from a bottle or had it filled at one of these type places or not, but thought I would share this info anyway.

Sorry if it doesn't help in your situation though.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A special thanks to the people of this thread. I too have/had the same issue. After a quick search of the forum and a trip to the garage, I found that my fuse is blown. It's rather odd as I have had no problems in the past. Off to Autozone in the morning...fuse ... Acurazine

Anyway, thanks to all. I'll sleep better knowing...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Racer

check your auto dimming mirror. if its not working then you blew a fuse which has the washers circuit and the auto dimming mirror on it. just replace the fuse and like magic your washers will work again. we have seen a lot of 04s come into our shop with this problem.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it's fuse #20 on the interior panel, next to the hood release. Use one of the spares from the fuse box under the hood or get some replacements are an auto shop like Pep Boys. I just did it and all is good again.

Joe
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Advanced

I have a "similar problem.

I went and test my windshield wiper and fluid after I read about this thread last Friday.

When I pulled back the level, the wipers moved but NO washer fluid came out. I didn't hear any sound (from the pump) either.

I checked the little green light below the rear-view mirrior but found it to be working (it came on and off as I push the botton)

I haven't check the fuse box yet. Could this a problem at another area?

nick04, can you tell?

Thanks.