Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield cracked!

A stone hit the my windshield this morning. It caused a star crack about an inch above the black border (lower part driver side). By the time I got home, the star crack expanded one of its line to 3 inches.

I figure this is not repairable due to the 3 inch extension. I have a $250 deductible on my insurance so it will be a pain. The windshield may only be available through Acura since it is pretty new.

Anyone else had to replace their windshield?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was cracked on day 3. My shop suggested staying with the Honda OEM glass because of the acoustic layer. Even if a non-OEM were available, I probably would have stayed with their recommendation. The shop did an an excellent job and you would never know it had been replaced. The glass was no problem getting but the molding took a week or so to get in stock. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your insurance policy they cover cracked glass with no deductible sometimes depending on your policy. they will either repair it or replace it if you are covered. alot of people have this because this is quite common when driving.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Instructor

You might want to check the comprehensive part of your insurance - the deductable may be lower - mine is $50 for windshield replacement. I't a good thing it cracked - I'd rather have it replaced and have the star crack repaired.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Had mine replaced last Thursday. $100 deductible and they said Honda OEM was the only windshield available.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:28 AM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Had the same thing happen to me about 1 month ago. Was the rock kicked up by a car in front of you? The rock that hit me came off a dump truck. My passenger wrote down the license plate number and I called my insurance company with the info. I paid my deductable got an OEM windshield. And my insurance company got my money back from the trucking company.

I was at first reluctent of having a glass shop change the windsield. I felt the dealer would do better job. So I called my dealer and they told me they wouldn't do it themselves. They said most dealers just hire a glass shop to do it. So instead of going through the dealer I used the glass shop my insurance company recomended mainly because they(insurance company) warranty the repair for as long as I own my car.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Unhappy Me too!

Originally Posted by techguy
A stone hit the my windshield this morning. It caused a star crack about an inch above the black border (lower part driver side). By the time I got home, the star crack expanded one of its line to 3 inches.

I figure this is not repairable due to the 3 inch extension. I have a $250 deductible on my insurance so it will be a pain. The windshield may only be available through Acura since it is pretty new.

Anyone else had to replace their windshield?
I will be getting mine replaced as well. My concern is about how well they will replicate the "factory seal" and get the black plastic molding to look right after they are finished. Anyone had that experience that could fill me in? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Team Anthracite Rocky Mnt

The car was less then a month old 850 miles I was very pissed but oh well those things happen.

I couldn't get a windshield any where but from the Acura dealer. It was delivered there and they had another company (regular auto glass installer) come to the dealer to install. They did an execellent job.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

I have a cracked windshield too. It happend last Friday on the blue route (476) and now the crack is about 18 inches long. I went to Montgomeryville Acura and they said that Montco Auto Glass does all their glass work. Montco Auto Glass quoted me $850 for an Acura Windshield. I have a $500 deductible on my insurance, what a ripoff for a windshield. I am having it replaced tomorrow.

Does anyone else know what the total cost was them?

Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 PM
04 TL NBP-B NAVI

What is going on guys, all of these windshields cracking ...

I'm staring to get nervous as I'll receiving my new 04TL next Friday!

The glass is supose to be ticker than the standard windshield !!

Have you all been hit by a rock or could it be caused by the frame of the windshield not being structurally stable ???

Don't forget if you go through your insurance company it will be registered into your file and then your insurance cost will go up next year.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rafiksao
What is going on guys, all of these windshields cracking ...

I'm staring to get nervous as I'll receiving my new 04TL next Friday!

The glass is supose to be ticker than the standard windshield !!

Have you all been hit by a rock or could it be caused by the frame of the windshield not being structurally stable ???

Don't forget if you go through your insurance company it will be registered into your file and then your insurance cost will go up next year.
I got hit my a small rock about 2mm right near the border of the windshield which pretty much caused the crack because of the pressure point.

I am thinking that Honda's have a soft windshield as my father has a CR-V '03 and his windshield is cracked too from a stone chip. Also, my uncle has a MDX whic has a crack from a stone chip.

I still love my car.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Like techguy, I had a stone hit my windsheild in the same exact place causing a star formation. When I went to wash it the next day the crack went straight across my winshield. It' s getting replaced tomorrow! I'm just glad the rock hit the windhield and not the body!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

I had to replace my windshield about 2 weeks after I picked it up. I didn't even notice a rock hitting it - I just saw a crack about 3 inches long coming up from the black border on the passenger side. By the time the body shop got another window it had grown all the way across to the driver's side. They charged a hair over $500 and I can't tell it has been replaced at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM

Windshield with install was $515

Same thing here, didn't even hear the rock hit the glass but there was a small dimple in the glass. After sitting for a couple hours in the sun it was over 18" long.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I will let my insurance company know that the Dealer recommended Montco Auto Glass place might be over charging. I will let the insurance company fight with them once the windshield has been installed on my car.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro

Seems like I am not alone!! I have mine replace for about $690.

I had NO star on the windshield. They brought out a 25X scope and you could BARELY see what looked like a spot on the crack. They said a rock hit it and they would not cover under warranty.

Now have no problems and you can not tell it was replaced. They did a great job on moving the window stickers.

My question is this... Mine started in the black area by the passenger side under with wiper. How about yours?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Passenger side just above the wiper in the black area. If the wipers were not on, the rock would have hit the wiper instead of the windshield. Just my luck.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 PM

Mine was at the very top within an 1" of the trim.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 PM
7th Gear

Mine was last week, in eye view, almost hit the A pillar but got the glass by an inch. The crack is now all the way over to the passenger compartment. I am going with the PPG glass, as there seems to be an epidemic. This was my second crack, the first one was about 1/2" star in the middle, which I had filled. I have full glass coverage, need it in AZ.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is bizarre. This is like the TL disaster of the week thread. On last week's episode, headliners starting falling like bombs from the sky. Now the bombs have exploded and everyone has cracked windshields.

I'm not trying to diminish the suckiness of this situation for those who have it. What the hell is going on with this car? Are there, like, three of us left who still have no problems? I'm getting more paranoid every day.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLGator
This is bizarre. This is like the TL disaster of the week thread. On last week's episode, headliners starting falling like bombs from the sky. Now the bombs have exploded and everyone has cracked windshields.

I'm not trying to diminish the suckiness of this situation for those who have it. What the hell is going on with this car? Are there, like, three of us left who still have no problems? I'm getting more paranoid every day.
Gator, it seems most people have taken a rock in the 'eye'

I am not saying I had one, but the others seem to. That is just life and not a build problem. Most of the other threads seem to be build problems. Besides my windshield, I am happy with the car.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Formula 350
Now have no problems and you can not tell it was replaced. They did a great job on moving the window stickers.
What window stickers? Are you referring to the black border and black around the mirror? Those are painted on and come with the glass, if so.

Sometimes there's a problem getting the black borders even between sides, if they aren't careful, though.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Instructor

I got my replacement installed by a glass company. they gave me a discount on my deductible. They did a good job on the installation. They installed an original Honda glass since the model is too new. When I called Safelite, they said they had their own brand but will not give me a discount on my deductible.

I still wish I had time to call the glass company right away before the spider crack spread. The repair is 100 % covered. So if this happens to you, try to have it fixed the same day! Mine spread as soon as I drove home in the afternoon. Any additional vibration will quickly spread the crack. The glass company will ask you if the crack can be covered by a dollar bill, if yes, they can fix it.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 AM
9th Gear

Mine cracked too and I only had it 1 month about 1000 miles. I had to wait 3 weeks for Acura to get the windshield in then another week to get it installed.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Instructor

You don't want it fixed - it will be visable - it's much better to replace so it will be good as new. I've had 3 windshields replaced and never had a problem with leaks. My deductable for glass is $50 and my insurance was never jacked up because of it. The biggest problem was getting the state inspection sticker replaced but if you have it done at the dealer that won't be a problem.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Acura Windshield Warranty

A crack just appeared on my 2003 TL for no apparent reason. There's no indication of anything hitting the windshield. As a matter of fact, the crack is almost sporadic in the windshield itself. It starts at the bottom of the windshield and goes about of the 1/3 of the way up, then stops. It starts about 2" later and continues to the top of the window. Is it possible this may be the result of a defect during the manufacturing or installation. Has anyone had any luck getting a warranty repair from Acura?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

Question Random crack

Originally Posted by nurfk
A crack just appeared on my 2003 TL for no apparent reason. There's no indication of anything hitting the windshield.
Same thing here -- the crack showed up one morning for no apparent reason. Started on passenger side near bottom and by the end of the day extended all the way across the window. Does anyone have any ideas of how to determine whether this could be a defect in the glass?
Old 05-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Sealing

Hey guys,

Mine just cracked today and I will have it replaced. Question: How do they seal the windshield back? Have you had any problems with newly installed winshields?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLGator

Make that 4.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie
Hey guys,

Mine just cracked today and I will have it replaced. Question: How do they seal the windshield back? Have you had any problems with newly installed winshields?

Thanks.
They run a bead of urethane sealer around the wind frame and set the windshield into it. The urethane stays sticky and never hardens up so you get a good seal. The window frame holds it in place. I've had three windshields relplaced and have never had a leak.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Instructor

What about the trim?

Originally Posted by vothsc
They run a bead of urethane sealer around the wind frame and set the windshield into it. The urethane stays sticky and never hardens up so you get a good seal. The window frame holds it in place. I've had three windshields relplaced and have never had a leak.
What black trim element need to be removed and or replaced? From looking at the car it seems they would have to remove both long black trim elements that run to the rear window. Is that so? Thanks for helping here.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hybrid
What window stickers? Are you referring to the black border and black around the mirror? Those are painted on and come with the glass, if so.

Sometimes there's a problem getting the black borders even between sides, if they aren't careful, though.
Sorry for being so long in reply...

In Texas we have an inspection sticker and license sticker...

All the black parts of the windshield were there.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

I have a crack on the passenger side spreading across the windshield, too! Only 4000 miles. What gives? Is this a warranty issue, or will it be soon?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Instructor

My next door neighbor has 12K on his. Last week he had a horizontal crack start under the weatherstripping on the passenger side, about 12" from the bottom. He just went out in his garage in the morning and found it. No evidence of rock impact.

Dealer replaced it under warranty. Anyone know if there's a TSB? I'm thinking "trend."
Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by caball88
check your insurance policy they cover cracked glass with no deductible sometimes depending on your policy. they will either repair it or replace it if you are covered. alot of people have this because this is quite common when driving.
I've lost two, that's right 2, windshields and both were 100% covered under my insurance policy. I too thought I'd have to cough up the deductible but State Farm said Nope glass is covered with no deductible required from me.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTL
I have a crack on the passenger side spreading across the windshield, too! Only 4000 miles. What gives? Is this a warranty issue, or will it be soon?
My recommendation, FWIW, would be start at a glass shop you trust. If they examine the windshield and can determine that it was a stress crack rather than brought on by a rock impact, I would head back to the dealer for a warranty claim. Even if your insurance will pick up 100% of the cost, I would recommend using an insurance claim only if the damage appears to be started by a rock impact.