Sponsored by:

Window Tinting........from Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:55 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting........from Jersey

Whats up everyone,
I just got a Black 05 Acura TL 5A......and first line of business is tint! The car is beautiful, but just wanted to get the windows tinted. I live in NJ, so there are issues with tint (I can only get the back 3 windows tinted...nothing on the front). I've been hassled by cops plenty on my old car for havin tinted windows on the front, so I'm not going there with this car. Does anyone have pics of a TL with the back 3 windows tinted and the front windows stock? I want to see if it looks weird or not.........thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what % are u getting?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
6th Gear

For the back, I was looking at 20% or 15%..........any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shanrock81
Whats up everyone,
I just got a Black 05 Acura TL 5A......and first line of business is tint! The car is beautiful, but just wanted to get the windows tinted. I live in NJ, so there are issues with tint (I can only get the back 3 windows tinted...nothing on the front). I've been hassled by cops plenty on my old car for havin tinted windows on the front, so I'm not going there with this car. Does anyone have pics of a TL with the back 3 windows tinted and the front windows stock? I want to see if it looks weird or not.........thanks!
two naked windows in the front looks horrible. get 35% all around. that is a good percentage, not too dark or too light.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Instructor

I own a 05 NBP TL Aspec 6mt and I got 30% all around. Looks good and I haven't gotten pulled over. Thank God so far
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

hey pele. u got any picz. just wonderin where u got it tinted and how much?? im from west orange and i have my fingerz crossed everytime i pass the copz around here..
Old 09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
6th Gear

no joke....i had 3 warnings and 4 tickets with my other car before they made me take it off. hmmmm....how would 50% front, 20% back look.....or 35% back..i dont have to have it dark, but anythin beats naked windows.........do u think our cops would hassle over 50%?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

jersey represent! Shanrock, what kinda car did you drive before the TL? I find it that cops tend to stop sportier cars with tints (mostly coupes) than they do w/o sedans/family cars (although i place the TL under sporty sedan ) I'm sure some people would be able to photoshop a picture for you?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

haha dirty jersey up in here.......i drove a 2000 toyota celica gt.....all black too, just like my TL....and I live in north NJ. I got hassled like crazy.....its rough out here for us!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, I've never had a problem with the tints, or no front plate, and I drive like a maniac. What are in North Jersey? I live in essex county, and the cops don't care. I have 30% all around on my CL, and never had a single problem.

THe best place to get it done is Tropic Window Tint in Union on Stuyvessant Ave.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

blech! i called that place to get them done there, the guy was an asshole. DON'T GO THERE, you might aswell just take a visit to colonia and see street effectz.

but mclaren i saw ur car it looks like it would get so much attention, its just the asshole cops in parsippany, morristown, livingston, west orange, florham park...area...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
blech! i called that place to get them done there, the guy was an asshole. DON'T GO THERE, you might aswell just take a visit to colonia and see street effectz.

but mclaren i saw ur car it looks like it would get so much attention, its just the asshole cops in parsippany, morristown, livingston, west orange, florham park...area...
What? Tropic Window Tint you mean? I have never had a problem with them, nor countless other people and they are probably the best tint shop around.

THe cops around here don't care. I drive around all the time and never had a problem.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i called Tropic Window Tint awhile ago and i talked to this snide older man who was rude and not customer friendly, i asked him about cutting the inner rubber piece and i told him would he just puit mole skin instead of cutting it and he like balatantly argued it out with me saying that he wouldn't not cut the rubber and non professionals use "mole skin" he didn't even know wut it was. NEVER GETTING MY WINDOWS TINTED THERE
Old 09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
3rd Gear

35% done at ODS TINTING in Lakewood, NJ. They are awesome and have had all my cars done there. Go light - 35% nobody will give you shit! I'm in Fairfield NJ - no problems!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Jersey here too. Im in central NJ any reputable tinters, I want to get 30% all around, how much was the place in Lakewood (ODS)? I got bad reviews from people who got tint done at auto image.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

hi, just reading this threads makes me wanna puke.. me live in north jersey rite by bridge and there are cops on every freaking block.. just got 05 tl black.. and super happi but i dont think i can get tint..... :-( so freaking mad about it..

I was reading on medical exemption where u can get a doctor's note sayin u r sensitive to light and stuff like that.. n thinking about trying that since ma gal works in eyes doctor. .but it dont look too good....... jersey SUCKS
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by convenientstore
hi, just reading this threads makes me wanna puke.. me live in north jersey rite by bridge and there are cops on every freaking block.. just got 05 tl black.. and super happi but i dont think i can get tint..... :-( so freaking mad about it..

I was reading on medical exemption where u can get a doctor's note sayin u r sensitive to light and stuff like that.. n thinking about trying that since ma gal works in eyes doctor. .but it dont look too good....... jersey SUCKS

hmmm, im thinking bout doing that myself once I get tints. Right now I live in the Bronx and when I had my 93 Legend with 35% all around I never had any problems in the bronx, but i did get a fix it ticket in new rochelle. I plan on moving to jerz in a few months and i hate the fact that the front windows cant be tinted, but im sure theres a way around it.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by shanrock81
Whats up everyone,
I live in southern NJ and have had all windows tinted on all my cars for at least 15 years and have never been bothered by the law even when being stopped for speeding, the problem is inspection at DMV, lucky I have a friend that works at an inspection station.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got mine done from a guy in kenilsworth off the parkway. great guy did my whole car for 180 bucks but would be cheaper for just the rear section. if you want some info pm me...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
10th Gear

Here's what I got from New Jersey DMV site:

Q: What are the New Jersey tint laws?
A: Basic tint laws for New Jersey:
No after market tint may be applied to front driver and passenger windows. After market tint on rear windows may not cover the 3rd brake light. Windshields may only be tinted 20% down from the top to help avoid sun glare. No mirror tint allowed anywhere on the vehicle.

I guess anything more than that will have problem with inspection or getting flag by cops !!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Guys, just a little suggestion. If you've got tinted windows, and get pulled over for whatever reason, you should automatically roll them all down right off the bat. The main worry/concern for the cops is that they cant see what the person is doing inside. Maybe this will avoid a ticket, maybe not, but it cant hurt. May even impress the cops if they ask why you did it.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow Jersey up in here huh...I'm from Morris County, NJ, and I just got a black 06 TL. First thing I'm lookin to do is tint the windows, but I'm not sure where to go.

My cousin from Union says Tropic is definitely the place to go..anyone else recommend some place else?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
VS#03

I have a 04 TL with 5% tint on the entire vehicle even the sunroof and 20% on the windshield. Because of the color RRP.....dark is the only way to go. No I haven't got pulled over yet, knock on wood. Just in case I have my civil servant I.D. for the state.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
6speed NBP

You tinted the front winshield?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Wow Jersey up in here huh...I'm from Morris County, NJ, and I just got a black 06 TL. First thing I'm lookin to do is tint the windows, but I'm not sure where to go.

My cousin from Union says Tropic is definitely the place to go..anyone else recommend some place else?
The only other place I know of is also in Union ... Custom Window Tinting - look for Anthony. I've had my truck and my Audi done there and I've always been happy with their service. They also provide free removal of the front tints whenever inspection time rolls around.

I've only been stopped once with tinted windows in NJ and that was with my Audi with 20% all around. That was a few years ago during Labor Day weekend and I was driving on River Road - Highland Park police sargeant got me for $65.00. Other than that no hassles even when other cops were standing next to the car. I'm still crossing my fingers.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:02 AM
10th Gear

I like to be able to tilt the car not so much for cosmetic, but for my 3 year old sitting in the back. The thing is I think it looks really ugly if I tilt just the back and rear windows on the TL, but I don't like the feeling that I may get pull over when there's a cop around the corner.

Such as life is New Jersey....
Old 05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Custom Window Tint is the best place to go in NJ. I got two of my cars done there and was always very pleased with the work. I did not just get the back windows done but, only went with the 35% tint. Very pleased, here are a few pics.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
05 TL Silver/Black

Location: From the 2one5th (Philly), live in East Brunswick NJ
I just recently moved to the Dirty Jerz (central), and I have not had any problems or hassles about my tints, and I live in an area where the cops have horns on their heads...seriously.

I had my tints done at a place in Philadelphia. Long drive, but it was def. worth it. The place is called "Car Pretty"... 120 bucks for premium tint (all windows) and a lifetime warranty (for anything, scratches,fading, color change, wtc.)

I don't worry too much about the cops. Are they really going to pull someone over in a 30K car because of the windows? If they do, you can rest assured that they were mad jealous of your ride...lol...seriously though Ihave not been pulled over once in my TL.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BigMike2one5th
I just recently moved to the Dirty Jerz (central), and I have not had any problems or hassles about my tints, and I live in an area where the cops have horns on their heads...seriously.

I had my tints done at a place in Philadelphia. Long drive, but it was def. worth it. The place is called "Car Pretty"... 120 bucks for premium tint (all windows) and a lifetime warranty (for anything, scratches,fading, color change, wtc.)

I don't worry too much about the cops. Are they really going to pull someone over in a 30K car because of the windows? If they do, you can rest assured that they were mad jealous of your ride...lol...seriously though Ihave not been pulled over once in my TL.

did you have moleskin installed too?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spider0079
Custom Window Tint is the best place to go in NJ. I got two of my cars done there and was always very pleased with the work. I did not just get the back windows done but, only went with the 35% tint.
how much did you pay? did they install moleskin too?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by EternaLlx
You tinted the front winshield?
Yeah!!!! I did, check out Pics of the Ross Deck Meet May 30th. 04 RRP TL Aspec. Tell me what you think.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Few questions for the posters here:

Where is Custom Window Tint?
What is moleskin?

For those that have tint in NJ, list where you went, and what brand of tint please.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Custom is on springfield ave in union or vauxhall. I used a non metalic tint so my navigation would not be effected.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So does anyone have pics of 50% up front and 35% rear?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
Got pulled over by a rookie state trooper in West Orange on 280, going 60ish in a 55, when others were doing 65+.
It was my 35% tint that gave him the extra incentive to go after me
Old 05-11-2006, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Tinting it's a big deal for cops in NJ. Couple years ago, my friend in Kearney told me that the cops were flagging down every single car with tinted windows because a cop got shoot when he pulled over a car with tinted windows and the dude had a gun, so it poses as a threat for law enforcement. I guess it's definitely a concern in some cities in NJ.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
VS#03

Its depending on the type of car you are driving. I drive all threw Hasbrough Heights and Woodridge, knock on wood I don't get pulled over. You will see the police pulling over modify VWs or Hondas and giving them the riot act, point being made police do profile certain vehicles.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Outta my way!!

I have 50% on the front, 35% on the back, looks good, try to take a pic and post it here. Got it at Hightek Alarm in JerseyCity on JFK boulevard, $160. They did not know about moleskin a year ago, so talked me into NOT using it, but gave me lifetime warranty. Now I have scratches and installed moleskin myself, but will wait till inspection early next year to replace the tint.

While in that tint shop, I talked to a JerseyCity cop - he was getting tint job for his car. His take on it that it depends on the township - if cops are overwhelmed with serious stuff, they would not care to pull you over for a tint. Then he mentioned EastBrunswick - the resident took his tint ticket to a state court once, lost the case, and this is when it became a serious offence Welcome to EB township!

Did anybody have some high end tint installed in NJ, ie HyperOptik or similar ?
I got a quote for 3M on Rt18 in EastBrunswick at Autoimage around $350, no warranty of any kind, except for 3M warranty (whatever that means). I feel this is way too much (esp considering NJ law for front tint - they get return business from me).

BTW, that same guy told me that u can only have 70% tint on fronts if u r light sensitive, but our stock glass is already 70% tinted.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
VS#03

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vash68
I have 50% on the front, 35% on the back, looks good, try to take a pic and post it here. Got it at Hightek Alarm in JerseyCity on JFK boulevard, $160. They did not know about moleskin a year ago, so talked me into NOT using it, but gave me lifetime warranty. Now I have scratches and installed moleskin myself, but will wait till inspection early next year to replace the tint.

While in that tint shop, I talked to a JerseyCity cop - he was getting tint job for his car. His take on it that it depends on the township - if cops are overwhelmed with serious stuff, they would not care to pull you over for a tint. Then he mentioned EastBrunswick - the resident took his tint ticket to a state court once, lost the case, and this is when it became a serious offence Welcome to EB township!

Did anybody have some high end tint installed in NJ, ie HyperOptik or similar ?
I got a quote for 3M on Rt18 in EastBrunswick at Autoimage around $350, no warranty of any kind, except for 3M warranty (whatever that means). I feel this is way too much (esp considering NJ law for front tint - they get return business from me).

I have the moleskins installed on my 04 TL 2yrs ago and not a scratch on the window.

BTW, that same guy told me that u can only have 70% tint on fronts if u r light sensitive, but our stock glass is already 70% tinted.
My tint shop (lorenzotint.com) installed the moleskins 2yrs ago and not a single scratch on the windows.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
My tint shop (lorenzotint.com) installed the moleskins 2yrs ago and not a single scratch on the windows.
Where they located? what brand tint? and how much?

And could someone explain to me what moleskin is?

Quick Reply: Window Tinting........from Jersey