Window Tint Scratching On 3rd Gen TL - Think Before You Tint 3G Garage #K-013

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004 | 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Yahoo!!!!

Glad I could help!

If you ever get to Vegas, I'll put you to work installing skin!

Toyz
Old 08-03-2004 | 09:46 PM
Advanced

Mor,

Thanks for the offer.........but NO thanks! LOL Once was enough for me. I'll leave the rest to the pros like you.
Old 08-10-2004 | 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Company coming

Mortoyz...

I will take you up on your offer. I am coming to Vegas Wednesday and will be there all day Thursday.

Please PM me with the name of your company and your address. If you have found a better way to do the moleskin install, I'm all ears (and eyes). I'll bring a digital camera and we can take some pictures to post here if it's OK with you.

Thanks.

XP
Old 08-28-2004 | 06:44 PM
Intermediate

I have an '04 TL with 20% all around. I am on my second tint job from a second company and my windows are scratched to hell. Why are we letting Acura get away with this? I tried to get my area rep to respond and would not even meet with me... Has anyone tried to write a letter to Honda Motor Company? I got the President's name and address; curious if that would work with a few pics...
Old 08-28-2004 | 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

Just get a tint shop that knows what they are doing and have moleskin installed.

Contacting Acura won't change things. We in the tint industry have been dealing with the same problem in Mercedes Benz for over 15 years.

Not to mention, the 2005 TL, RL and MDX will have the same type of seals and continue to scratch film.

It's an easy fix, don't worry about it too much.
Old 08-28-2004 | 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

A Tale of Two Tinties

Originally Posted by Mile High TL
I have an '04 TL with 20% all around. I am on my second tint job from a second company and my windows are scratched to hell. Why are we letting Acura get away with this? I tried to get my area rep to respond and would not even meet with me... Has anyone tried to write a letter to Honda Motor Company? I got the President's name and address; curious if that would work with a few pics...
Write about what? Acura tints the car 75% at the factory (in the glass) and it doesn't get scratched.

If you choose to add-on an accessory that is incompatable with the Acura's (or Mercedes') tight, redundant seals on the windows, and it doesn't work, why is it their fault?

However, if they are aware of this potential problem with some after-market tints, it wouldn't hurt for them to put a caution note in the owner's manual.

It might make the manual pretty large, though, if they tried to warn each owner of every possible incompatability with every after-market accessory available out there.

The Dealer is another story. If they install the tint, then they have bought into the problem. That's why many dealers won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

As MORTOYZ says (BTW: that what his auto tag says also), an experienced and quality tinter will know how to prevent the problem easily and at low cost.

Or... you can do it yourself. Do a search on "moleskin" and you will have as much info on this topic as you want. Check the TL Garage sticky thread.

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm! Good luck. BTW.... why did you go to a different company the 2nd time? Wouldn't the first tinter re-do the tint? Was it guaranteed? Didn't they tell you of the potential for scratching?

XP
Old 08-30-2004 | 10:11 AM
Intermediate

First company would replace tint under warranty. I chose not to use them again since the dealership uses this company exclusively. After a couple of weeks of bickering with the dealership, they paid me the money to have it tinted again at another shop. XPDITOR: I certainly agree that you cannot include every aftermarket item that doesn't work with the Acura; however, do you feel that a bolt-on supercharger should be lumped into the same category as window tint? One side note... Why does Acura use window tinting on all of its commercials advertising the TL? I am sure there is an Attorney out there that could make a case using that!
Old 08-31-2004 | 12:38 PM
Banned

Just buy my kit. It comes with two different set of directions. You can chose which one to follow.
Old 08-31-2004 | 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flnsx
Just buy my kit. It comes with two different set of directions. You can chose which one to follow.

or search the forum for "free moleskin". your choice....
Old 08-31-2004 | 02:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by criss
HP Racing in Glen Burnie (about 3 miles from Adrunel Mills mall). It's a bit of a drive but they do great work. Let me know if you need a poc and #
criss...can you give me POC? How much did it cost you and what % tint? If you have navi, seen any problems?
Old 02-23-2006 | 10:28 PM
9th Gear

where do i get these moleskins kits i would like to get one for my car so i can just retint and not worry
Old 02-24-2006 | 03:11 PM
Banned

Why not just order the kit and save your tint.
Old 05-31-2007 | 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Cut the rubber inside

I was told moleskin doesn't work. Dust can settle on it and scratch. It also can come off when weather is too hot. And it and the glue comes off and goes all over your window.

I was told the best way is to trim the rubber inside your car that touches the glass.

What do I do??? Who is correct
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Does it work on TSX

To MorToyz

Can you roll the top of the door panel off the flange without removing screws etc. on a TSX like you can on a TL . Esp can you do it on the driver front.