3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 80W kill the wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents. Do not risk it with higher Wattage bulbs. Get the highest lumens you could buy for the same wattage. I have used those higher wattage bulbs on my old Accord. The SilverStar 55 watt was brighter than the 80 watt bulb I had plus the SilverStars blended well with the HID. Those 80 watt bulbs normally do not last long either (about 6 months).
Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by need4spd
Until you have done it successfully in an 04TL then I would not say you have the experiance to speak on it either.

A 96 car's electronics and controls are much different than an 04TL, I have read the svc manual, I know.

There used to be a quick mod on the 2nd gen TL to get the fogs to come on with the parking lights, such a simple mod does not exist as many, including the fogs, are controled through a electronic controller, power is even feed trough this, cars in 96 were more direct wire, 04's are not.

Did you know there are two local area networks (LANS) in our car that control most of the functions of the cars, one is at 33.3Kbps, the other is at 500Kbps? It even has hand shake protocols and the two LANS interface in the gauge cluster?

Cars today are much more integrated electronically in an effort to reduce wires, copper, and wieght.

Do us a favor, how about you change your fogs to 80W, after a month, let us know how they work, then you will have first hand experiance at changing them, forget the mitsubishi, that does not count!
I agree with all of your posts. You and PhillB are right.

Just because someone got lucky swapping out higher wattage bulbs on a '96 Mitsubishi doesn't make them an authority on doing it to an '04 TL. The housings could be of different materials that tolerate heat differently. Different size and shape housings could collect and dissipate heat differently... It certainly is a wiring issue, but it's also a heat issue.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
I agree with all of your posts. You and PhillB are right.

Just because someone got lucky swapping out higher wattage bulbs on a '96 Mitsubishi doesn't make them an authority on doing it to an '04 TL. The housings could be of different materials that tolerate heat differently. Different size and shape housings could collect and dissipate heat differently... It certainly is a wiring issue, but it's also a heat issue.
Thanks for the vote of confidence fla-tls, you are also right about the heat issue on the bulb housing/reflector/lens. It is a big nut (cost wise) to replace if that melts too, and Acura will be a little suspicious if it melts.