3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
Seems kinda sad to me that you have to resort to conning and manipulation to get what you want from your wife.

Uh...I guarantee you your wife does this at least once a week to YOU. Keep your eyes closed, it's better that way.

You're obviously at least a little pissed/disappointed or you wouldn't of posted in a forum for a car that you don't own. That being said, sometimes it's important to get to make a decision. You gave up on the car, but you work hard and deserve to enjoy the fruits of that labor, otherwise whats the point? So, like RonJon hints to, you need to use that as collateral to get something that makes you happy.

Or you can just keep your balls tucked and squat when you pee.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of RonJon... RonJon makes a beautiful bodykit for the new Accord now... so you could jazz up your new ride with it!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

With attitudes like these, no wonder our Dating and Relationships forum is filled up...

To go off topic: Guys would you treat your wives/girlfriends the same way you treat your best guy friends? Hopefully with as much respect. If not, thats the root of all your relationship problems. Far too many guys looking for trophies and not companions
Agree!!! Then you wonder why divorce rates in this country are amazingly high!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My diagnosis.

PMS. Gotta be PMS kickin'.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Ex-Navy

Originally Posted by Acura98TL
Agree!!! Then you wonder why divorce rates in this country are amazingly high!

Ken nailed it. This uber macho behavior is naseating.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerIS1

Ken nailed it. This uber macho behavior is naseating.

I might get flamed by the females for this, but women are like children, you ask a 3 yr old if he wants vegetables or candy, and obviously, he'll say CANDY! even tho it's not really in his best interest. now I'm not saying women are dumb, but regarding soccer moms whith no experience in cars, yeah, they don't know whats better for them. This doesn't apply to non-child rearing independent business women. Damn, I give new meaning to the phrase barefoot and pregnant.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Ex-Navy

Originally Posted by rondog
I might get flamed by the females for this, but women are like children, you ask a 3 yr old if he wants vegetables or candy, and obviously, he'll say CANDY! even tho it's not really in his best interest. now I'm not saying women are dumb, but regarding soccer moms whith no experience in cars, yeah, they don't know whats better for them. This doesn't apply to non-child rearing independent business women. Damn, I give new meaning to the phrase barefoot and pregnant.
Soccer moms sure. But intelligent women do not apply
Old 08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Not a dude.

I might get flamed by the females for this ....

"You're not worth the powder."
-- Horatio Hornblower, The Duel
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Instructor

My wife wanted the MDX, I got her the pilot and hooke dit up, at first she didn't liek it, but i convinced her 2 kids both under 3 yrs old wouldn't keep the MDX in the luxury state for too long. Basically, just have to con her into it.

And about the wifey and her input, let her speak and listen, but in the end, don't give her too much reaction, just let it in one ear and out the other, thats what makes them want more, when you leave them wanting. Watch, you'll get more of what you want that way, keep em thirsty i say. And finally, I always liek to lose my temper with her over stupid shit, to keep her on her toes, trust me, she will like you more and respect you when you are easilly ticked off. Women are not easy nor can you figure them out, but these small aggressive tips will keep you off the couch and in thr sack.
That has got to be one of the funniest things I have read on this forum in a while.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joed40
Your age!!!!!?????????????????

I wish I was 44 again!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should trade in the Accord for a Prius , a Lark and an AARP membership!
I like my Accord, but I'm not into exterior modding, I did that when I was younger, along with performance modding. Now I like a more sophisticated look. Even when I get the TL, I won't do much modding other than maybe RSB(I may do that to the Accord). I will never have a prius,lark or AARP.....
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
My wife wanted the MDX, I got her the pilot and hooke dit up, at first she didn't liek it, but i convinced her 2 kids both under 3 yrs old wouldn't keep the MDX in the luxury state for too long. Basically, just have to con her into it.

And about the wifey and her input, let her speak and listen, but in the end, don't give her too much reaction, just let it in one ear and out the other, thats what makes them want more, when you leave them wanting. Watch, you'll get more of what you want that way, keep em thirsty i say. And finally, I always liek to lose my temper with her over stupid shit, to keep her on her toes, trust me, she will like you more and respect you when you are easilly ticked off. Women are not easy nor can you figure them out, but these small aggressive tips will keep you off the couch and in thr sack.
WOMEN......can't live with'em, can't live without 'em, can't shoot 'em, can't leave 'em by the side of the road when you're done with 'em ... but ... then again ....
Old 08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

You did it all wrong. First, you let your wife buy a NICE car (or whatever she perceives to be nice)...but it has to be nicer than yours. Then you sit and drive your piece of cr*p for a year or more (yes it's painful) while you save up some money quietly so that buying the TL won't be such a hit to your wallets.

Then you'll be in a much nicer position to leverage pitty (for hving to drive your POS car) and surprise ("honey, I have little more money than I thought to put towards a new car").

Or buy used, which would have been my obvious choice in the first place. I never buy new. Let some other guy take the major hit on depreciation for the first year.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The income in my house is not great, I make about $30K and she makes about $40K. We don't have much debt, other than the Accord. We have a decent savings account and we get pretty much what we want, because we understand value and quality. You can say what you want about me, but I have something far more valuable than a car or money or power, I have true love and that makes me the richest of all!
Don't worry, friend. I sure that most respondents to your thread are not malicious in their offerings. Some of us may find your predicament a little odd, but what the hey.

Personally, I love the fact that we have things.. own things, that we care about, have fun with, and enjoy coveting. It's human nature to do this. And it adds just that much more to our lives. Whether it be cars or music or stamp collecting or boats or guns.. I'm quite sure we all find pleasure in some material things. And this is the way it should be.

Really, I rather doubt anyone here means you any real ill will.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Seems kinda sad to me that you have to resort to conning and manipulation to get what you want from your wife.
Seems like you were manipulated out of a TL. You both agreed to get a TL then she changed HER mind, so you didn't get one. You keep posting that you both agreed not to get the TL, but I go back to your thread Title "Wife pulled Rug Out...".

I'll be the first to admit my wife gets want she wants most of the time, just to get it over with and score the brownie points that are needed in a marriage.

When I keep reading this thread, I picture Ray Romano as you. Were he thinks his doing what he wants, but not really.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Seems like you were manipulated out of a TL. You both agreed to get a TL then she changed HER mind, so you didn't get one. You keep posting that you both agreed not to get the TL, but I go back to your thread Title "Wife pulled Rug Out...".

I'll be the first to admit my wife gets want she wants most of the time, just to get it over with and score the brownie points that are needed in a marriage.

When I keep reading this thread, I picture Ray Romano as you. Were he thinks his doing what he wants, but not really.
hahaha!! I was thinking the same thing! When we were first married my wife drove the nice car, which was an Accord EX coupe. What did I drive? The 95 Ford Windstar mini-van. Talk about biting the bullet, and taking one for the team.

Then the van died and I told my wife I wanted a TL. She wanted me to get an accord so badly because it would've saved a few pennies. But because my wife is an intelligent woman, she knew not to fight me, because if I would've gotten the accord I would've just continued to gripe because I didn't get the car I wanted. As it stands, I've got my TL and I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S3-Captain
You did it all wrong. First, you let your wife buy a NICE car (or whatever she perceives to be nice)...but it has to be nicer than yours. Then you sit and drive your piece of cr*p for a year or more (yes it's painful) while you save up some money quietly so that buying the TL won't be such a hit to your wallets.

Then you'll be in a much nicer position to leverage pitty (for hving to drive your POS car) and surprise ("honey, I have little more money than I thought to put towards a new car").

Or buy used, which would have been my obvious choice in the first place. I never buy new. Let some other guy take the major hit on depreciation for the first year.
I'm way ahead of you on that, she wanted and got the CRV while I drove around my 95 Saturn SC2, this isn't as much about money as it is of value. Overall, for MY situation at this time, the Accord is a better value than the TL, however, a couple years down the road, that may change.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ryee
hahaha!! I was thinking the same thing! When we were first married my wife drove the nice car, which was an Accord EX coupe. What did I drive? The 95 Ford Windstar mini-van. Talk about biting the bullet, and taking one for the team.

Then the van died and I told my wife I wanted a TL. She wanted me to get an accord so badly because it would've saved a few pennies. But because my wife is an intelligent woman, she knew not to fight me, because if I would've gotten the accord I would've just continued to gripe because I didn't get the car I wanted. As it stands, I've got my TL and I'm a happy camper.

I don't know...$8000 isn't a few pennies....The Accord has probably 85-90% of what the TL has for $8000 less.....I can do alot with that kind of money...
Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Don't worry, friend. I sure that most respondents to your thread are not malicious in their offerings. Some of us may find your predicament a little odd, but what the hey.

Personally, I love the fact that we have things.. own things, that we care about, have fun with, and enjoy coveting. It's human nature to do this. And it adds just that much more to our lives. Whether it be cars or music or stamp collecting or boats or guns.. I'm quite sure we all find pleasure in some material things. And this is the way it should be.

Really, I rather doubt anyone here means you any real ill will.
I'm sure there's no ill will, I'm having fun with it, besides, most people here are very understanding and mature, which is not the norm in alot of forums....It's one of the reasons I like this forum so well..
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro

Chfields, I truly empathize with you. In light of your current finances, I think you and your wife made the right choice. You can always get a better car when your family is more financially sound and secure.

I am lucky that I got a good paying job in the past 20 years, and I can retire now if I want. But I am still young and will be bored easily, so I am working part time. Since now I have alot more free time on hand (no more weekend or late night hours), I have been shopping for a new car, and the TL/RL is on my mind.

My wife, like yours, does not want me to get a car that costs more than 30k. She keeps reminding me that a car is NOT an investment (I know, I know), but a depreciating asset. Typically I drive a new car every 3 years, then she drives it for the next 4 years, then we sell the car before its mileage gets over 55k miles.

The TL is nice, and it costs around 35k OTD. The RL is very nice, and costs 46k OTD. I can buy either, but I will likely take the TL to please my wife. However, even with the TL (forget about the RL), it is a hi-tech car with a lots of gadgets, and my wife is not that tech savvy. Hopefully she will learn.

Wishing you and your wife the best with your new ride!!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kenny5
Chfields, I truly empathize with you. In light of your current finances, I think you and your wife made the right choice. You can always get a better car when your family is more financially sound and secure.

I am lucky that I got a good paying job in the past 20 years, and I can retire now if I want. But I am still young and will be bored easily, so I am working part time. Since now I have alot more free time on hand (no more weekend or late night hours), I have been shopping for a new car, and the TL/RL is on my mind.

My wife, like yours, does not want me to get a car that costs more than 30k. She keeps reminding me that a car is NOT an investment (I know, I know), but a depreciating asset. Typically I drive a new car every 3 years, then she drives it for the next 4 years, then we sell the car before its mileage gets over 55k miles.

The TL is nice, and it costs around 35k OTD. The RL is very nice, and costs 46k OTD. I can buy either, but I will likely take the TL to please my wife. However, even with the TL (forget about the RL), it is a hi-tech car with a lots of gadgets, and my wife is not that tech savvy. Hopefully she will learn.

Wishing you and your wife the best with your new ride!!
Financially, we are doing just fine and could afford either the TL or the Accord, her argument wasn't as much the money, as the value. As I stated earlier, she's not a "car" person so doesn't appreciate the intangibles. My last car, a 95 Saturn SC2, was with me for almost 10 years (twice as long as I've been with the wife) and we've been through alot together, its was like a close comfortable friend. It was tough to give it to the dealer.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 AM
10th Gear

I was in the same boat as you, except the car was for her, not me.

In the 6 months or so prior to buying the car, I would point out TL's and she always said she didn't like them, that she would rather have the Accord. I knew it was because she was afraid of the price.

Well, long story short, we "stopped by" the Acura dealership on the way to the Honda dealership so I could let her see what she could have if she was ok with the price. We drove the TL and she was in love, but almost nautious (sp?) over the price (she's cheap, which usually comes in handy). Then we went to the Honda dealership and were both a bit disheartened with the "feel" of the Accord vs. the TL.

So maybe the story didn't get short... but I'm on here posting because she's now the VERY proud owner of a WDP '06 TL.

Which, after 2.5 months now she still takes ten minutes every evening to wipe the bugs off the front end. She's never cared about a car she owned until this one...
Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
It is hard to justify $8k more for Bluetooth, 5.1 surround sound, bi-xenons, and 14 more horsepower. I know there are some minor details but $8k is significant and the Accord is by no means a POS. It's a great compromise.

i couldnt agree more
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris H
I was in the same boat as you, except the car was for her, not me.

In the 6 months or so prior to buying the car, I would point out TL's and she always said she didn't like them, that she would rather have the Accord. I knew it was because she was afraid of the price.

Well, long story short, we "stopped by" the Acura dealership on the way to the Honda dealership so I could let her see what she could have if she was ok with the price. We drove the TL and she was in love, but almost nautious (sp?) over the price (she's cheap, which usually comes in handy). Then we went to the Honda dealership and were both a bit disheartened with the "feel" of the Accord vs. the TL.

So maybe the story didn't get short... but I'm on here posting because she's now the VERY proud owner of a WDP '06 TL.

Which, after 2.5 months now she still takes ten minutes every evening to wipe the bugs off the front end. She's never cared about a car she owned until this one...
HaHa . . . you could be talking about us. I did want the Accord EX V6 w/Nav, but my husband kept saying look at the TL . . . I went out car shopping by myself one day, on a whim looked inside a TL . . . then asked for a test drive . . . then dragged hubby back to test drive . . . well, and the Accord just wasn't the same after that. I still feel like I should have gotten the Accord, and I do feel sick about the price difference . . . and I have unresolved rattles . . . but I do get that extra thrill every time I get in that I wouldn't have gotten with the Accord.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

Some good Accord forums:

http://www./forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

http://gen7accord.net/forums/index.p...cfff68d84584db
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry for the double post but had some stuff to add. If you mod it, it looks pretty good so don't feel bad (with pics provided below). I read you're not into exterior modding anymore though. You could consider a drop to get rid of the 4x4 look. That's not much.

As for no HIDs in the accord, you can do a retrofit w/blackhousing and it'll be just like the TLs. (www.hidplanet.com for more info) All this will be less than the extra 8-9k you'd spend getting a TL. It won't replace everything the TL offers, but it might help you like your car more.

Andrew's

Jobata's