3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
Well, actually, you are wrong, because had I pushed it, I would have the TL, but then I have to live with an upset wife. If it's a choice of getting what I want or keeping my wife happy, the wife wins everytime, when she's happy, I'm happy.

Am I upset I didn't get the TL? Yeah, but I still got a great car, at least she didn't make me get a Toyota Camry
Nothing wrong with the new Camry. It's actually a better car than the Accord or my TL in build quality and comfort. We have a 07 Camry and a 06 TL.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Not a dude.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to explain to her about the differences, but she's a woman and doesn't really know about cars, to her there just a way to get around.
Let's slow down on the stereotypes.

I for one am a female TL owner. It took me literally weeks to talk my husband into buying this car - pretty much the same arguments cited above. He's pretty much an Ford truck kind of guy so the whole car thing was lost on him. Instead of going new, we compromised on a used '05 non-navi with 19k miles. I drive the TL every day and I am one happy camper. Happiest I've been with a vehicle since my Porsche 914 back in college.

So chicks can like nice cars too, ok?

Back to your situation. Maybe a compromise like mine is in order. TL's hold their value amazingly well, but you can save a few $$ by buying used like I did. Also consider doing without navi, that will save you some $$. Bringing down the total purchase price will help convince a reluctant spouse.

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You let your wife dictate what kind and type of car you wanted for yourself? Man, something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I'm sorry friend, but that just don't wash with me.

Since you've already made the purchase, unless you're willing to take a beating, it's too late to get what you really wanted. Next time, do as YOU want.. not as someone else would have you do. I can understand if the car was to be a joint effort, in that both would be using it, or if it was the only car in the family. But if this is your personal driving machine, get what YOU want and what you believe you can afford. To heck with what anyone else thinks.. even your wife.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rt4563
Let's slow down on the stereotypes.

I for one am a female TL owner. It took me literally weeks to talk my husband into buying this car - pretty much the same arguments cited above. He's pretty much an Ford truck kind of guy so the whole car thing was lost on him. Instead of going new, we compromised on a used '05 non-navi with 19k miles. I drive the TL every day and I am one happy camper. Happiest I've been with a vehicle since my Porsche 914 back in college.

So chicks can like nice cars too, ok?

Back to your situation. Maybe a compromise like mine is in order. TL's hold their value amazingly well, but you can save a few $$ by buying used like I did. Also consider doing without navi, that will save you some $$. Bringing down the total purchase price will help convince a reluctant spouse.

Good luck and hang in there!
I didn't mean to imply a stereotype by that comment, it just happens to be true in my wifes case. I've known several women that were car enthusiast's and were into it more than I was( 2 of them were mechanics)
Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You let your wife dictate what kind and type of car you wanted for yourself? Man, something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I'm sorry friend, but that just don't wash with me.

Since you've already made the purchase, unless you're willing to take a beating, it's too late to get what you really wanted. Next time, do as YOU want.. not as someone else would have you do. I can understand if the car was to be a joint effort, in that both would be using it, or if it was the only car in the family. But if this is your personal driving machine, get what YOU want and what you believe you can afford. To heck with what anyone else thinks.. even your wife.
Sounds to me like your single....If I had my way, it would be a 6MT, the wife doesn't like stick and she will be driving it as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Shift_faster

Sounds to me like your single....If I had my way, it would be a 6MT, the wife doesn't like stick and she will be driving it as well.
Nope he is not single.

By the way, I agree with him if it was a) it is only your finances going into the car, and b) you are the only one driving it.

If it is a car for the family then I see her point completely. By the way, I understand the love before a car discussion and compromises must be made in marriage.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Am I upset I didn't get the TL? Yeah, but I still got a great car, at least she didn't make me get a Toyota Camry

I would have rather had the Camry. At least it has the features you like about the TL. This is the last year for this gen of Accord.

Let me ask you this, who decided on purchasing the CRV?? It sounds like she is the one MAKING ALL of the decisions there's no give and take.

I just had my 10th Anniversary 4 months ago. I told her she could have a 10 year diamond ring or a new car. She picked the ring. What I paid for the ring would have been a 3rd of the amount the car cost. A couple weeks ago she started talking about a new MDX. I told her that shipped sailed, you'll have to wait a couple more years.

She drives a '99 CRV, that I picked out. But we live in the house she wanted.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You should look into leasing if monthly payments are that important to you (and the wife).

The beauty of leasing is that the payments are lower than buying, and you don't even have to worry about resale value. At the end of the lease, just turn it in and get another car.

IMO, people spend too much of their disposable income on payments for cars, only to find out when they get ready to trade that the car isn't worth what they owe on it (if it's not completely paid for). So not only have they spent more of their paycheck every month, but they then have to pony up more money to get out of the damn trade-in!

If they keep it long enough to get it paid off, it's not worth enough to matter. Leasing rocks.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
VS#03

Man Law......Man Law........leave the wife at home and surprisingly come home with it, it will be to late to return the TL. All you would have to her for a couple of days is the and then you tell the wife I'm .
Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
I sincerely hope everyone here who mentions "wearing the pants" is kidding. A relationship is made up of bad and good, give and take, compromises - life in and of itself is about compromises.

Had you rather drive a TL (a car that is technically not superior to the Accord in ways that count, such as reliability) for 5 years - at which no point will this car love you, bring you great status, not so much as even increase in value - or had you rather have a lifetime of love and commitment from another human?

I think some of you here are voicing some fairly ridiculous, childish opinions.

TLs are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. Real love is something some people don't find in a lifetime.

With attitudes like these, no wonder our Dating and Relationships forum is filled up...

To go off topic: Guys would you treat your wives/girlfriends the same way you treat your best guy friends? Hopefully with as much respect. If not, thats the root of all your relationship problems. Far too many guys looking for trophies and not companions
Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Dam Wife!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Nope he is not single.

By the way, I agree with him if it was a) it is only your finances going into the car, and b) you are the only one driving it.

If it is a car for the family then I see her point completely. By the way, I understand the love before a car discussion and compromises must be made in marriage.
That's correct, I am married and have been for quite some time. And I did clarify in my response that if the car was to be a jointly shared vehicle or perhaps the only car in the family, then that's an entire different matter. Both should have input in the decision. Then I stated that if this was to be his personal driving machine, it should be his decision and his alone.. regardless of what the wife might think, as long as it's within his budget.

I think that is pretty clear.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I should add that my wife has her own car, which just so happens to be an '05 TL automatic. Her previous car was a '96 328i BMW. When it crapped out one too many times, she was ready for a new car. I suggested the TSX (size was right in there with the 3-series). But she drove mine on the way to the dealer and couldn't get the TL out of her mind (she loved the looks, inside and out, for the first day I brought it home). So we got her the TL she wanted and she's quite happy. If she had wanted something else in the same price range, she, of course, would have consulted me since I know a bit more about cars than does she. But as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to her car, the same rules apply. If it's affordable and it's the one she wants, she can have it.

Incidently, she drives a car with a manual transmission better than most people.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I would have rather had the Camry. At least it has the features you like about the TL. This is the last year for this gen of Accord.

Let me ask you this, who decided on purchasing the CRV?? It sounds like she is the one MAKING ALL of the decisions there's no give and take.

I just had my 10th Anniversary 4 months ago. I told her she could have a 10 year diamond ring or a new car. She picked the ring. What I paid for the ring would have been a 3rd of the amount the car cost. A couple weeks ago she started talking about a new MDX. I told her that shipped sailed, you'll have to wait a couple more years.

That is pretty funny. My sister drives an Accord, lovely vehicle and to get a V6 with Nav, I would take that over a used TL without Nav any day. I guess that is what you get when you sign up for marriage, compromise, not a bad thing at all, but there are times when it really bites you in the ass.....
Old 08-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Racer

We both chose the CRV because we needed a small SUV for the family and some traveling. it is very reliable, cost effective and cost about $20K, besides we are a Honda family. We make all our decisions together, There is no me or her, it's US....
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
That's correct, I am married and have been for quite some time. And I did clarify in my response that if the car was to be a jointly shared vehicle or perhaps the only car in the family, then that's an entire different matter. Both should have input in the decision. Then I stated that if this was to be his personal driving machine, it should be his decision and his alone.. regardless of what the wife might think, as long as it's within his budget.

I think that is pretty clear.
Your right, if it was my money and the car was only for me, there would be no discussion. But we are both paying for it and both will drive it, although I will be the main driver.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
We both chose the CRV because we needed a small SUV for the family and some traveling. it is very reliable, cost effective and cost about $20K, besides we are a Honda family. We make all our decisions together, There is no me or her, it's US....
The title of your post is "Wife Pulled the Rug Out From Under Me", so she clearly made the decision that you now have an Accord and not a TL.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The title of your post is "Wife Pulled the Rug Out From Under Me", so she clearly made the decision that you now have an Accord and not a TL.

Even so, compromise is what keeps any marriage together, and our OP here clearly gave up something he wanted to keep his spouse happy. In our house, each of us uses their income as they please. That means I use MY income to buy MY car and while she may disagree about my choice and the frequency of my car switches (every two years on average, current TL has been a year longer than usual), she doesn't complain too loudly because my income also pays the mortgage and 10% goes into savings/investments and I've never missed either one in 12 years of marriage.

Besides, I'd rather switch cars and computers (my other expensive habit) than wives, I love the wife I have.

Anyway, enjoy the Accord.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Your initial post set you up for the abuse you are receiving here. I think you made a good decision based on what you presented. Happy wife-happy life.

That said, my wife and I defer to each others strong desires and areas of expertise for major expenses. I get to pick my car (for the most part) and have a strong influence in deciding on hers. Why, I know more about cars and the value than she does. She picks the type that she wants (SUV), I recommended different makes. We decided on an MDX. She was concerned about the price as she was when I got my TL. Her concern is that we get to also do most of the things that she desires, no problem.

She decided long ago that within reason, I don't like to setttle, been there, done that. Now, about those payments; dam. Both sound to expensive and for to long to me. I might have opted for something even less expensive like a top of the line Civic. Anyway, enjoy the Accord it is a nice car.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Sorry man...
You should look into getting the ronjon kit thats coming out for the Honda Sedan

Check it out...

http://www.ronjonwheels.com/accordsedankit.html
Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

I sincerely hope everyone here who mentions "wearing the pants" is kidding. A relationship is made up of bad and good, give and take, compromises - life in and of itself is about compromises.

Had you rather drive a TL (a car that is technically not superior to the Accord in ways that count, such as reliability) for 5 years - at which no point will this car love you, bring you great status, not so much as even increase in value - or had you rather have a lifetime of love and commitment from another human?

I think some of you here are voicing some fairly ridiculous, childish opinions.

TLs are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. Real love is something some people don't find in a lifetime.
Amen, brother. As much as I love my TL, it's just a car. Chfields, hope you enjoy your Accord. Add a few mods and I'm sure it will be one sweet ride. Peace.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither of us are interested in buying used cars at this point. I may as well be happy with what I have, since there's nothing I can do about it now. In a couple years when the Accord is worth more than I owe, I'll look at getting a TL, by then, the new 09 should be out.........
or even better the new CL hopefully its not the TSX Coupe
Old 08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Racer

The income in my house is not great, I make about $30K and she makes about $40K. We don't have much debt, other than the Accord. We have a decent savings account and we get pretty much what we want, because we understand value and quality. You can say what you want about me, but I have something far more valuable than a car or money or power, I have true love and that makes me the richest of all!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have true love and that makes me the richest of all!
X e2783027
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
My wife wanted the MDX, I got her the pilot and hooke dit up, at first she didn't liek it, but i convinced her 2 kids both under 3 yrs old wouldn't keep the MDX in the luxury state for too long. Basically, just have to con her into it.

And about the wifey and her input, let her speak and listen, but in the end, don't give her too much reaction, just let it in one ear and out the other, thats what makes them want more, when you leave them wanting. Watch, you'll get more of what you want that way, keep em thirsty i say. And finally, I always liek to lose my temper with her over stupid shit, to keep her on her toes, trust me, she will like you more and respect you when you are easilly ticked off. Women are not easy nor can you figure them out, but these small aggressive tips will keep you off the couch and in thr sack.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Racer

Seems kinda sad to me that you have to resort to conning and manipulation to get what you want from your wife.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Intermediate

Woman who chose the TL

Well, I'm in the opposite situation. I'm the woman in the marriage, the car was for me, we also started looking at Accords, then fell in love with the TL. The difference in price was very much in my mind and as late as the day we bought the TL I went and test drove the Accord one more time.

We did buy the TL, and I got a fab price ($31,495), but I do kind of wish I'd just gotten the Accord EX V6 w/Navi. Would have saved a lot of money.

What finally decided us is that I'm a realtor and there are those times when you need a nicer car for clients, and the bluetooth simply makes it safer to drive and talk.

I'd think of it this way, at least you don't have to deal with rattles. I've already had mine into the dealership once for the center speaker rattle and it's going in again on Monday for passenger door rattle (and continued buzzing in the center speaker) and a noise in the passenger side vent . . .

I'm betting your Accord doesn't have those troubles.

You paid $8K less than me and have a trouble free car; I paid $8K more and have a car that rattles like an old jalopy.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Popular thread...

First off, congrats on the new Accord chfields! It is indeed a nice car. Its lighter than the TL, so theres a lot of zip to it. Also, with today's gas prices, 87 uleaded sounds really nice. The TL and the Accord are both nice cars.

As a few members have mentioned, definitely check out Ron Jon's upcoming body kit. I would love to ride in one of these:

Old 08-25-2006, 01:29 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

"Your initial post set you up for the abuse you are receiving here"
True.. You pay $500+ a month? how much did you put down? i myself could not live with that per month.. I put a huge down and you will love this i am paying $216 per month for 60mons and its all mine after that.. hehe..
I must admit, i am young and not married yet, but i think sometimes as i am married with the gf and can fit into your spot very well. I myself can hear my gf (future wife) telling me we got enough to buy this car because the monthly is this amount and we still got these other bills, plus we got to save.. for some reason i dont hear her saying we are going on a vacation ?? odd?? hehe...
Very true you can add some tl stuff to the accord, i for one had my accord lights retro with s2000 projectors etc.. to me it was better then the tl..anyways...
If your happy Im happy too..
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 AM
VS#03

Originally Posted by rondog
My wife wanted the MDX, I got her the pilot and hooke dit up, at first she didn't liek it, but i convinced her 2 kids both under 3 yrs old wouldn't keep the MDX in the luxury state for too long. Basically, just have to con her into it.

And about the wifey and her input, let her speak and listen, but in the end, don't give her too much reaction, just let it in one ear and out the other, thats what makes them want more, when you leave them wanting. Watch, you'll get more of what you want that way, keep em thirsty i say. And finally, I always liek to lose my temper with her over stupid shit, to keep her on her toes, trust me, she will like you more and respect you when you are easilly ticked off. Women are not easy nor can you figure them out, but these small aggressive tips will keep you off the couch and in thr sack.
Man Law!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum13
trade in the accord and the wife and get a TL LOL

Or when you do finally get your TL, DON'T LET HER FRIGGIN DRIVE IT!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 AM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Here are some pics of my new ride

U end up getting the auto or 6spd?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by realfresh
U end up getting the auto or 6spd?
I assume Auto. If i'm not mistaken, the V6 badge would have some red in it if it were a 6 speed.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
Popular thread...

First off, congrats on the new Accord chfields! It is indeed a nice car. Its lighter than the TL, so theres a lot of zip to it. Also, with today's gas prices, 87 uleaded sounds really nice. The TL and the Accord are both nice cars.

As a few members have mentioned, definitely check out Ron Jon's upcoming body kit. I would love to ride in one of these:

Yeah I was looking at this kit. $1,150 plus shipping isn't bad (compared to the Mugen Inspire Kit), but then you have to paint the kit, and that will add another $500-$700 or so. I'm not sure, but I may stop by a body shop and ask how much it would cost to paint this kit.

It would DEFINATELY add to the looks though.

I also saw at Best Buy they have a Bluetooth kit that you can install on any car. I'm thinking of getting this when I upgrade my phone to a Bluetooth phone at the end of September.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Cruisin'

Go to Acura dealer and have them run the comparsions for resale, etc on their computer between the Accord and the TL. It will really show the value of the TL.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Racer

I ended up getting the AT. Since my phone has bluetooth and I have a bluetooth headset, it's not that big a deal. I think the body kit is a little much for someone my age, 20 years ago maybe, now, I'm into sophistication.

I put $0 down and $500-$600 a month is not a big deal for us, we will end up paying it off early. Although in 2-3 years I'll probably trade it for a TL, we'll see how it goes. Right now I have a great trouble free car and I'm loving it!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:09 AM
9th Gear

Man's Prayer

I'M A MAN!!!...

but I can change, ...

if I have to,...

I guess...

(Mens prayer, Red Green)
Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Your age!!!!!?????????????????

I wish I was 44 again!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should trade in the Accord for a Prius , a Lark and an AARP membership!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

She got her CR-V why cant he get his A Ride? Yes its all about give and take, in some cases it is good to give your spouse some slack and take your ass to the other room!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, actually, you are wrong, because had I pushed it, I would have the TL, but then I have to live with an upset wife. If it's a choice of getting what I want or keeping my wife happy, the wife wins everytime, when she's happy, I'm happy.

Having a wife i totally agree with it... it's a matter of living in misery Vs. getting the car one likes... i'd give up living the misery part, however i have to look in to what someone said... trading in the wife for the TL... in my case this was the RDX i wanted to get and she wanted the Tribeca.

Quick Reply: Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)