3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by xavier25
LOL... As mentioned, there are so many TL's in No.VA that you'd be nodding/waving/whatever 10 times during a 30 min commute. Now if I see a modded car, then I definitely look closely and nod.

When I was coming home Tuesday, there were 2 in front of me and one a couple cars back of me. I was on the FFX Parkway coming from Burke to FairOaks.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Everytime I see another TL I great them with
Old 11-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by rt4563
People that make generalizations are stupid.

Thing is that he's probably right. I would bet money that the vast majority of people who buy a TL wouldnt be classified as "enthusiasts". When you're trying to catch up to someone in traffic and waving at them, they're probably just confused and think you're some weirdo stalker.....

Doubt anyone is trying to be rude, but to most people waving to people in cars you dont know is just strange.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Thing is that he's probably right. I would bet money that the vast majority of people who buy a TL wouldnt be classified as "enthusiasts". When you're trying to catch up to someone in traffic and waving at them, they're probably just confused and think you're some weirdo stalker.....

Doubt anyone is trying to be rude, but to most people waving to people in cars you dont know is just strange.

Probably true. Although with the BMW M's and MBZ AMG's, etc. most of the people I've come across in those cars like them because of the price tag and not because of the performance.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL drivers are pretty friendly here in TO =) once i saw this other teenager driving a white TL.. we both gunned the car and then go side by side =) we ended up going to the same dealership for service and had a chat
Old 11-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Vollgas auf der Autobahn!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad the TL crowd is not as friendly as the Alfa Romeo crowd. It is very rare when I drive somewhere and I see an Alfa that greetings are not exchanged, be it horn honking light flashing waving etc etc. .

Jens
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Everytime I look into the next TL, its usually some old person who probably can't see far enough to see I'm in a TL, too. But I would nod or wave if I thought it mattered.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Instructor

When I see another TL I am usually checking for mods not the driver because there aren't too many here. Maybe us Acurazine followers need to start a trend here??
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I always nod or chuck a deuce at anyone i see driving the same car as me. I've always done that, even when i had my CRV, Corolla, Yukon, etc.
Nine times out of ten, they aren't looking at me and/or probably couldn't care less, but I do it anyway.
Where I live, there are very few TL's...I might see a couple a week.
I feel like there is or should be some type of pride or camaraderie there, whether your car is stock or modded.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by tidus888
TL drivers are pretty friendly here in TO =) once i saw this other teenager driving a white TL.. we both gunned the car and then go side by side =) we ended up going to the same dealership for service and had a chat
I'm assuming when you say TO your referring to Toronto right? I've noticed that most TL drivers don't care in Toronto. When I see another TL I usually try to get a look at whose driving and maybe give them a nod, but it always seems to be old men or women who couldn't care less!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by ndabunka
You waive to people you KNOW, not simply because they have the same kind of car... Sheesshhh, get a life!

PS - Sometimes I waive anyway (and then I wonder... do they think I am crazy?)
Hi! Wait! Nice car!

{speeds up}

Hey! Hi! I like your car!

Gotta go take my meds now! Bye!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Involuntary Karatechopper

Had someone in a white 2G TL pacing me this morning. Gold emblems, in the Gurnee, IL area. Every time I looked over, the guy wasn't looking. Not sure what he was doing, so maybe that's happened to some of you - just a case of bad timing.

...or they just think you're some weirdo pacing them and they're avoiding eye contact.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 PM
2006 TL

Well, I live in NYC, so there's a lot of "mean muggin" goin on here lol... My TL is an A-Spec with performance mods and a new subwoofer but I dont think that that necessarily makes my car "better" than anyone elses. Faster, yes, but who cares. The thing that bothers me is when other TL drivers see me coming with my body kit n exhaust n all and decide to try to show off and speed pass me. Give me a break.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:26 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I glare at and project h8 at all the ladies I see. When I see another guy I try to make eye contact, hop up and down, honk enthusiastically, grin like an idiot and wave.

Oh wait a sec....
Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
im in the big city and unless the other guy in the TL is really THAT much of a TL fanatic we wouldnt bother making contact...

like i said... im in the city, making contact just cause u ahve the same car is kinda lame, unless there's gd reason to make contact (ie if u admire they're car for whatever reason)
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

I think we are just a bunch of snobs..... , funny thing is when I had a Civic Si, Element, RSX-S all the other drivers would go out of their way to make sure I saw them and would wave, now I see other TL drivers almost ignore me but I can tell they know we have the same car......
Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 PM
2016 TLX

I think car people (us) notice other TLs and interesting cars and are likely to acknowledge eye contact, but we gotta face it - most of population don't even see the cars around them.

Hi rt4563; do you come here often?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Racer

The other day, I was sitting at a red light. Sitting next to me was a 2G TL with nice rims. Well, the lady (early 20's) kept looking at my car (I don't think she could see me through the tint). The gentleman (early 20's also) saw her looking, gave me a nasty look and began having a heated discussion with the lady. When the light turned green, he sped off spinning tires and everything. A few seconds later, I was looking at him in my rearview mirror!

But I have noticed that other TL drivers kinda act like snobs and seem self absorbed. Once the cars get older, the snobs'll probably sell/trade and younger people will buy. I believe younger people would buy our cars brand new if they could afford them and their credit was able to get it for them. I don't mean that in a condescending way, it's just my opinion.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:22 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
being 18 years old, I almost never see a fellow young TLer or CLer.. or any young newer acura-er where I live. All the people driving Acuras here are usually old grey ladies...

It is sort of hard to describe what happens when I see another cool Acura.. A sort of excitement takes over.. I jump up in my seat and check out their car, hoping they look like a nice person. If they look reasonable, I sort of hope for eye contact... When eye contact is made I usually act out a conversation in my head about what we say to each other... all over eye contact! LOL im just weird like that... and then maybe someday we can end up doing a photo shoot. or just shoot the shit talking about our cars... LOL

^^^ The above took me nearly 20 mins to type/think how to explain... it didnt come out sounding entirely correct, but thats OK. ^^^
Old 11-18-2006, 08:55 AM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah it's strange, most people here don't even look or seem to notice. Me, I've owned several boats. In boating it's a very different phenomenon (at least if you're into bigger boats...I owned a 34 foot sailboat on Lake Michigan for many years), EVERYONE waves at everyone else..in fact we laugh and joke that to own a boat you have to perfect your "boaters wave"! hehe So...to get into your car where everyone is completely anonymous is a little strange for me...but then I hate to be the only dork waving at other TL drivers! LOL Did have one guy give me the thumbs up the other day though.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

yeah, for the most part, it is due to the market - older buyers: don't care about other TLs. the majority of old people doesn't appreciate younger people driving the same car as them.

only enthusiasts like people on this forum would look and wave/nod/whatever at other TLers - TL enthusiasts "sub culture".

on top of all that, if you have dark tint on your windows, then they usually don't look.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by gqchicago
... Me, I've owned several boats. In boating it's a very different phenomenon (at least if you're into bigger boats...I owned a 34 foot sailboat on Lake Michigan for many years), EVERYONE waves at everyone else..in fact we laugh and joke that to own a boat you have to perfect your "boaters wave"! ...
I have figured out my (apparently dorky) compulsion to wave to other TL drivers. I AM A BOATER. I have been waving to other boaters my whole life. Where I go boating (No Cal Delta) pretty much everyone waves to everyone - skiboats wave to yachts, motoryachts wave to sailboats, the whole deal.

Thanks, gq, I feel so much better now.

That said, there's one other thing about this thread that is starting to really piss me off. Why are so many of you being haters about older people driving TLs?

Now I understand getting annoyed if someone is going 20 mph and you can't get around them or that sort of behavior associated with "old people". But what the heck is wrong with someone minding their own business, driving their TL normally, and they just don't happen to be a Victoria's Secret or Esquire model? I'm referring to comments like the following:

Originally Posted by JJaber06
lol everytime I see another person in a TL, its usually a 60 year old gray haired lady. when me and my friends are driving they always make fun of me

Originally Posted by mmforever
Everytime I look into the next TL, its usually some old person who probably can't see far enough to see I'm in a TL, too. But I would nod or wave if I thought it mattered.
That is really offensive, mmforever.

There are lots more quotes of this type but these are the worst. What the hell the deal here? That "grey haired old man" or that "granny" could be one of the coolest people you'll ever meet, if you'd just give them the chance.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by FLBusa
Yep... I have to agree. The people here on this forum are here because they have a genuine interest in the TL. A lot like motorcyclists... when I'm on the bike everyone waves and waves back, it's a sub-culture of enthusiasts. My belief is that most of the people that own TL's, if asked about the car will say... Yeah... it's a pretty nice car. They won't be able to tell you much or any of the performance details of the car nor do they even care. If the car rides nice, is dependable and projects an appearance of success... that's good enough for them. Waving to someone would mean making some kind of contact with another human being.

...and we certainly don't want any of that stuff happening.

I can see it now... "Honey... would you believe some weirdo in a car just like mine was waving at me!" "The nerve of some people..."
In last year's movie "Crash", one of the characters said that drivers these days are so self-immersed, they purposely collide just to make contact with another human being. Hope that doesn't happen.

I'd definitely hate to be like that suburbanite character in "The Net" whose neighbors don't even recognize her, so they can't say for sure whether she lived in her place, and don't miss her if she disappears.

- - -

I bet some drivers are so clueless they don't even realize it's another TL out there.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by enigmaos
yeah, for the most part, it is due to the market - older buyers: don't care about other TLs. the majority of old people doesn't appreciate younger people driving the same car as them.
Baby boomers don't want to think of themselves as old, so if they see "their reflection" as a younger driver in the same car, I think they'd appreciate it, because it meant that they had popular tastes. That's why most of the AARP ads really use younger-than-senior models.

On the other hand, it could be a resentment thing. As in, I am 30-40-50 years old and I can finally afford a luxury sports car like this, so how does this 21-year-old deserve it? But you never know other people's true financial situation or how their lives will turn out.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Figured I'd chime in on this one. I'm 56, certainly what most of you guys would consider an old guy. But I'm also an enthusiast, I love my car and I've done some simple mods to it. I am fanatical about keeping it clean and shiny. I remember in the past I had a 72 2002Tii BMW, in those days BMW's were rare and 95% of people didn't even know what it was, you'd see another BMW and you'd always wave. The problem is, at least were I live, is that the TL is a fairly common car, and most of the people driving it, could care less.
If I see I nice car that someone obviously cares about, no matter what kind of car it is I can appreciate it. But to most people a car is car. As my wife says "It's just something to get from point a to point b". There have been a couple of times that I've had a fellow TL driver wave at me, but those times are rare, and I've been surprised.
That's what makes forums such as this so great! We're a bunch of people who share their enjoyment of our cars. And if someone sells his TL and buys something else (like a Camry), so be it, best of luck to him.

Also it doesn't bother me to see a younger person driving the same car as me, why should it bother me? Tell you the truth what bothers me is when you see a nice car that's being driven by someone who could care less. How many BMW's or MB's have you seen that are filthy? Wheel all caked up with brake dust, dull paint, birdsh*t all over it, THAT's what bothers me.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One more thing,

That's the reason I'm always harping about the lack of a Acurazine decal or sticker, it would help us to identify each other. If you were driving along and saw another TL with the decal, you could wave and reasonably expect a wave back.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
only enthusiasts like people on this forum would look and wave/nod/whatever at other TLers - TL enthusiasts "sub culture".

on top of all that, if you have dark tint on your windows, then they usually don't look.
You people with the tinting-- I can't tell if you see me waving and I can't see if you're waving... or giving me the finger...
Old 11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I have figured out my (apparently dorky) compulsion to wave to other TL drivers. I AM A BOATER. I have been waving to other boaters my whole life. Where I go boating (No Cal Delta) pretty much everyone waves to everyone - skiboats wave to yachts, motoryachts wave to sailboats, the whole deal.

Thanks, gq, I feel so much better now.

That said, there's one other thing about this thread that is starting to really piss me off. Why are so many of you being haters about older people driving TLs?

Now I understand getting annoyed if someone is going 20 mph and you can't get around them or that sort of behavior associated with "old people". But what the heck is wrong with someone minding their own business, driving their TL normally, and they just don't happen to be a Victoria's Secret or Esquire model? I'm referring to comments like the following:

That is really offensive, mmforever.

There are lots more quotes of this type but these are the worst. What the hell the deal here? That "grey haired old man" or that "granny" could be one of the coolest people you'll ever meet, if you'd just give them the chance.
They resent the TL getting stereotyped as an "old person's car" It works both ways though. Acura is doing away with it's cheaper lower end vehicles (rsx) to avoid the image of a cheap 'rice' car for young people.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by Will Y.
You people with the tinting-- I can't tell if you see me waving and I can't see if you're waving... or giving me the finger...
probably doing this to you. lol
Old 11-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
We could just make it a (internal) acurazine thing to just flash our lights at each other when we see another TL. If the person flashes back, they just might be a fellow acuraziner (or just polite). That might work until we get acurazine stickers (for the top part of the windshield of course) because I would be reluctant to putting a bumper sticker on my TL.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Well at least I know now that I'm not the only one who goes through this. I wonder if TSX owners experience the same thing?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by evantec

On the other hand, it could be a resentment thing. As in, I am 30-40-50 years old and I can finally afford a luxury sports car like this, so how does this 21-year-old deserve it? But you never know other people's true financial situation or how their lives will turn out.
I know how the afford it. About 6 of them rent a house. Then they drive cars that have bigger car notes than what they're paying for rent, sometimes twice as much!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
To 99% of the population cars a just mobile appliances no different in their life then the wide screen TV or industrial style refrigerator.

Also demographics being what they are they tend to cluster in certain neigh. Its no big deal here to see a lot of TL's & 330's in the high school parking lot while Mom & Dad are driving heavier iron.

The waving & light flashing was a big deal in the 1950's when sports cars or any import was pretty rare & has faded out as these cars have reached commodity status like salt or pepper.

I expect the few Lambo or Ferrari drivers around here wave & flash at each other but when a car manufacture like Honda is cranking them out in the hundreds of thousands, what's the big deal?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
probably doing this to you. lol
Yeah, I suppose on our SoCal freeways I'm better off than if they were
Hope they have 5As, though, 'cause it was hard for me to use both hands to make gestures safely while using a stick shift. :wink:

Oh, and I'd spring for an Acurazine plate frame or windshield header decal if they became available...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Ev an' Tec

: : :

I think we've all been brainwashed into being afraid of getting old. Acura is pretty clever to leave the drivers out of the TL brochures, so nobody gets stuck thinking they are too old / too young / too rich / too poor.

The truth is, even if I were 110 years old, I'd still like hot cars and want to drive. (If I can only go 20mph, somebody take the keys!) I don't have a particular age on my calendar marked saying when I'd suddenly not want to be into cool cars.

On the other hand, about 2 years ago, I threw my back -- only for a few days -- and finally had a short-lived appreciation for boulevard cruisers with no feel for the road. When every bump hurts, it's amazing how a soft mushy car is comfortable. But other than something bad like that happening, I can't see not wanting to drive a cool car.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Ev an' Tec

: : :
That "grey haired old man" or that "granny" could be one of the coolest people you'll ever meet, if you'd just give them the chance.
A lot of people are too lazy to realize that, if they don't die first, they too will become old. And they probably won't want to change their interests either just because they are older.

We're going to see some interesting times when the baby-boomers -- the first generation to really worship youth and be in denial about aging -- hits retirement age and much later on, old age.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by blakura
We could just make it a (internal) acurazine thing to just flash our lights at each other when we see another TL. If the person flashes back, they just might be a fellow acuraziner (or just polite). That might work until we get acurazine stickers (for the top part of the windshield of course) because I would be reluctant to putting a bumper sticker on my TL.
Agreed -- after all that TLC for our cars, I don't think we're gonna put anything sticky on the outside!

I'd vote for either license-plate frames or a rubber window-decal that doesn't need glue. I should probably check out the website's T-Shirt shop in the meantime!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Mile High

Yeah I would never wave to other TLs. Unless I'm on an extremely rural two-lane road, and happen to see a TL.

There are so many TLs on the road, that I see no point. Do people that drive a Taurus or a minivan wave at eachother?

I can justify waving if I am driving a rare car, which the TL is not. Now if I had a car like a Ferrari,Porsche,Corvette, or even a lifted Jeep I would most definately wave.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Enthusiast drivers of rare cars flash identical models. Such drivers are aware of road conditions.

There is a certain pecking order in a brand universe. If I were to ever see the first acura, I would certainly stop and salute.

TL drivers are not rare. TL enthusiasts are rare. Guess TL enthusiasts should have exteriors modded beyond A-spec, and only recognize the A-spec at a minimum. Otherwise, you are simply distracting grandma and grandpa.

The average TL owner is old, richer than the acord buyer, and bought the thing on a reliability/comfort/quality/price/performance trade-off matrix that suggests an economist, not an enthusiast.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
One more thing,

That's the reason I'm always harping about the lack of a Acurazine decal or sticker, it would help us to identify each other. If you were driving along and saw another TL with the decal, you could wave and reasonably expect a wave back.

Dave
May be it's not easy to sell AcuraZine stickers because of the legalities involved. After all you are trying to make money using the Acura (TM) as part of the name.

Quick Reply: Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???