3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the lousy ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
So I did the TB/WP service this weekend and replaced the side motor mount (it was shot) while I was at it. Unfortunately, no real improvement in ride quality: still feel every bump in the road. I got the compliance bushing R&R tool, so I'll probably tackle those this coming weekend. Before I do, I'm going to swap tires with my '05 and see if I notice a difference because the '05 rides so much better than this one . In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1. How can I test/tell whether the struts need to be replaced?
2. truonghthe suggested I replace the two other bushings in the LCA. Do I need a special tool to press those in/out like I do for the compliance bushings or should I maybe consider a complete aftermarket LCA with bushings? If so, suggestions for which ones?
3. Are there any good tests for determining if the front/rear motor mounts need to be replaced? How about transmission mounts?

There are only so many things that could be causing the rough ride and I'd like to address them in order of least cost.

Another couple of observations which I'd appreciate feedback on:

1. I'm only on my first tank of gas, but so far it seems like I'm getting terrible mileage. I've seen other posts about one of the two oxygen sensors, but could it be anything else? I'm not getting any CEL's.
2. When I put the car in drive, it feels like it lurches a little bit. Haven't really checked if does something similar putting it in reverse, but my '05 never feels this way. It's always smooth as butter.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 AM
Instructor

I just did a very unscientific "push" test where I went to all four corners of both my '05 and the newly acquired '07 and bounced them up & down. There was no discernible difference between the two cars and all four corners demonstrated some level of "springiness" (technical term). I also double-checked tire pressure: 3 of the 4 were spot on at 32 psi with only the driver's side front being a little higher at 33.5.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
tire compounds can be a world of difference with how the car rides! are the tires the same between both cars? You can replace the upstream ones with NTD/NGK sensors if you'd like but I'd check their outputs with a scan tool before doing that. Rather, run some good fuel cleaner through the system like Redline SI-1 or Techron for your gas mileage. Also check the intake boot (looks like an accordian) for cracks. They tend to crack with age/flexing and may allow engine to ingest HOT air that's unfiltered!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by spamcop01
So I did the TB/WP service this weekend and replaced the side motor mount (it was shot) while I was at it. Unfortunately, no real improvement in ride quality: still feel every bump in the road. I got the compliance bushing R&R tool, so I'll probably tackle those this coming weekend. Before I do, I'm going to swap tires with my '05 and see if I notice a difference because the '05 rides so much better than this one . In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1. How can I test/tell whether the struts need to be replaced?
2. truonghthe suggested I replace the two other bushings in the LCA. Do I need a special tool to press those in/out like I do for the compliance bushings or should I maybe consider a complete aftermarket LCA with bushings? If so, suggestions for which ones?
3. Are there any good tests for determining if the front/rear motor mounts need to be replaced? How about transmission mounts?

There are only so many things that could be causing the rough ride and I'd like to address them in order of least cost.

Another couple of observations which I'd appreciate feedback on:

1. I'm only on my first tank of gas, but so far it seems like I'm getting terrible mileage. I've seen other posts about one of the two oxygen sensors, but could it be anything else? I'm not getting any CEL's.
2. When I put the car in drive, it feels like it lurches a little bit. Haven't really checked if does something similar putting it in reverse, but my '05 never feels this way. It's always smooth as butter.

Thanks in advance!!

once you remove the entire lower control arm, you can rent a press tool kit (similar to your LCA bushing) or take the control arm to any local mechanic shop and have them press out and press in the new bushing. You don't need a new lower control arm, stay away from aftermarket, the OEM part is cheap anyway.

To test your engine mount you will need 2 people.

Have someone start the car and apply and hold brake full pedal travel. Then put the car to drive, tap the accelerator pedal until engine reach 1500 rpm. You will see the front motor raise up but to a point where it should not just pop up so much or worst, hitting the stopper bracket.

Last edited by truonghthe; 10-14-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,027 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
tire compounds can be a world of difference with how the car rides! are the tires the same between both cars? You can replace the upstream ones with NTD/NGK sensors if you'd like but I'd check their outputs with a scan tool before doing that. Rather, run some good fuel cleaner through the system like Redline SI-1 or Techron for your gas mileage. Also check the intake boot (looks like an accordian) for cracks. They tend to crack with age/flexing and may allow engine to ingest HOT air that's unfiltered!
Building off the above, tire design also has a lot to do with the ride; what tires do you have on the two TLs?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Building off the above, tire design also has a lot to do with the ride; what tires do you have on the two TLs?
This was covered earlier in the thread, but the '07 has BFGoodrich G-Force COMP-2 A/S 245/45/17 and they're relatively new. My '05 with twice the miles has very inexpensive Primewell Valera Sport AS 235/45/17. My '05 rides super smooth whereas this '07 I just got rides more harsh. On smooth pavement, everything feels and sounds great. But with any imperfections, that's where the discrepancy appears.

I agree that things are pointing more and more toward the difference in tires. Sometime this week or this coming weekend, I'm going to swap wheels between the two vehicles and see what difference it makes.

Last edited by spamcop01; 10-14-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
What kind of outputs would I be looking for on the scan? I'll try the fuel cleaner. The intake boot was replaced not long ago and is in mint condition. Thx!!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by spamcop01
This was covered earlier in the thread, but the '07 has BFGoodrich G-Force COMP-2 A/S 245/45/17 and they're relatively new. My '05 with twice the miles has very inexpensive Primewell Valera Sport AS 235/45/17. My '05 rides super smooth whereas this '07 I just got rides more harsh. On smooth pavement, everything feels and sounds great. But with any imperfections, that's where the discrepancy appears.

I agree that things are pointing more and more toward the difference in tires. Sometime this week or this coming weekend, I'm going to swap wheels between the two vehicles and see what difference it makes.
When I bought my 2006 it had fairly new BFGoodrich G-Force COMP-2 A/S 235/45 R17 on it and I hated those tires from the first mile I owned the car. Personally I don't mind a harsh ride (as long as it equates to crisp handling), but the racket those tires made was unlivable. I finally replaced them after a year with Pirelli Cinturato P7s and am thrilled with the results; yes, the handling is not as crisp as it was with the Comp-2s, but the car is so-SO much more comfortable to drive and so much more quiet, the minute loss in handling was well worth the swap.

Interesting observation, the 235/45 R17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus tires have a tread width measurement of 8.7", the (supposedly wider) 245/45 R17 BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S tires have a tread width of 8.3"; go figure.

Last edited by horseshoez; 10-14-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:33 AM
Instructor

...I hated those tires from the first mile I owned the car...
This is actually very encouraging info. Can't wait to swap wheels and see what difference it makes.
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just made a thread about a very similar issue. I should have just posted in this thread I guess. But my issue started after I hit a small pothole on the interstate. It wasn't even that big, but I was traveling at interstate speeds and I noticed a significant decrease in smoothness over imperfect pavement after this happened. If the road is good the ride is better than when I bought the car 3 months ago (I got the wheels rotated, balanced, and aligned and this did help a lot). However, I still feel this slight increase in bumpiness/roughness/harshness over less that perfect roads that I don't remember being there before hitting the pothole.

Last edited by juchale; 10-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by juchale
I just made a thread about a very similar issue. I should have just posted in this thread I guess. But my issue started after I hit a small pothole on the interstate. It wasn't even that big, but I was traveling at interstate speeds and I noticed a significant decrease in smoothness over imperfect pavement after this happened. If the road is good the ride is better than when I bought the car 3 months ago (I got the wheels rotated, balanced, and aligned and this did help a lot). However, I still feel this slight increase in bumpiness/roughness/harshness over less that perfect roads that I don't remember being there before hitting the pothole.
I wonder if the pothole damaged one of your front struts.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Check on your struts, control arm, ball joints to make sure nothing abnormal.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up And the winner is...

...I hated those tires from the first mile I owned the car...
horseshoez (and anyone else who suspected the tires)!!! I still can't believe it! I only swapped the front tires between my '05 and '07 and it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RIDE! All the road noise and rattles are gone. I go over bumps or uneven pavement and don't even feel it. It's like a totally different vehicle.

Now, if I was weaving in and out of traffic, driving fast on windy perfect pavement, etc., maybe I'd appreciate the BFG's more. But right now all I want to do is start a literal tire fire in my backyard with them.

To summarize, while I did replace a toasted side engine mount (which didn't improve the ride at all), I didn't make any changes to the suspension, and only put my el cheapo $70 Primewell Valera Sport AS tires on the front of my '07 and my problems were solved. Woohoo!

I still have some concerns about the fuel economy I'm seeing and wondering if the transmission is shifting as cleanly and efficiently as it should, but I'll save those questions for tomorrow. Tonight I'm just going to sit back and crack a cold one!
The following 2 users liked this post by spamcop01:
horseshoez (10-19-2019), LoveMyTL-S (10-20-2019)