3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy the TL over the G35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, please step down to our unworthy TL level.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=LKLD]27? Are you driving slow? 21 is the best I can get.

No, fairly fast. I average 39 mph. As I said in the first post, I live 45 miles out, and my work site is in the far suburbs, so my commute is mostly country roads and about eight miles of interstate, so most of my miles are highway miles.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I briefly considered a G35 four-door before buying the TL. The 3-series Bimmer and TL were both more appealing to me in the same general price range than the G35 for a number of reasons. I think part of the reason I didn't go for the G35 was due in part to what BLACKURA_NY said in that it's pretty played out, at least around here where I live. Plus, A LOT of middle aged women are driving that car around here, and I'm still way too cool to drive a car that is associated with middle aged women!

The two-doors are pretty sexy, though, and if I were in the market for a two-door elegant-ish sports car, I'd definitely consider taking one of those for a test drive. I'd still probably just go for the 350Z, as I am still a Z fan. I digress, though...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
The quality and more important about Acura is reliability. BMW IS one of the worse cars on the PLANET for reliability FACT. Sure the quality, fit and finish is excellent, and the front to rear weight ratio is great with RWD. Unless I can afford and fit 2 cars, FWD is what I need. I DON'T like the G35 sedan If Acura brings out am AWD great looking car, then I will trade in my 07 TL-S. I am relaxed now and won't insult you with many things in my mind right now. LATER
Why didn't you bash Lexus?

You should've gotten the RL then if you wanted AWD.

Yes Acura has reliability, but the TL has had it's share of problems too. 2nd gen TL's had the transmission failures.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

An '07 G35x Owner's Perspective

First and foremost, I had my heart set on a TL (non-S) for months. I spent every lunch hour for weeks on end, reading and staring at the 2007 Acura TL brochure. And when I first sat inside one, at the NY AutoShow, it was basically set in stone that I was going to get the TL.

Then came the dealer experience, and the test-drive.

Despite the warnings heeded by this very forum, I went to Paragon Acura ('nuff said!, for my NY'ers). But that didn't stop me, so I went to Valley Stream Acura, which was by far a much more pleasant experience. That's where I test-drove the TL for the first time.

Here's what I liked about the TL:
-Of course, the extremely refined interior
-Very smooth & quiet ride
-Good brakes
-Neat rear-view back-up camera

Here's what I disliked about the TL:
-Heavy-steering/torque-steer was evident at even local street speeds
-Less than stellar power below 3000 rpm
-[warning: flamebait] Kind of handled like a boat (Yeah, I know, I should've tried the Type-S!)

But those weren't the deal breakers for me, it was the price. Basically, both Paragon & Valley Stream weren't budging from anything under $35,500 for a '07 TL w/ Navi. And from observing how most members here claimed they were getting TL-S for around that price, and many others getting theirs well below msrp & even below invoice, I had to pass on those offers.

So the salesman, Vincent, from Valley Stream Acura basically told me "hey, maybe this [TL] isn't the car for you." And then, shockingly, he recommended that I go down the road to check out Infiniti. He even referred me to a salesman there, and told me to definitely check out the G35x (AWD). And that's what I did.

If I had got the TL, I would've financed it. However, since the G35 wasn't my first choice, and the reliability isn't exactly on par with Acura, I decided to lease the G35 and got an excellent offer.

Between the G35 to the TL, it's almost apples to oranges. But you would be kidding yourself if you didn't realize the performance aspect of the G35 over the TL (non-Type-S); just as if you didn't realize how much better and roomier the interior of the TL is over the G35.

Okay, so yes, I'm getting 16.7 mpg (a V6 with the fuel milage of a V8 ) . But I don't have to use premium fuel.

Okay, so yes, the exterior styling of the G35 sedan is still "kinda growing on me". But at least it's not as overly pretentious as the G35 coupe (and wait until the '08 G37 comes out... oh boy! ).

And lastly, okay, so I don't have the fine interior like in the TL. But once you step on the gas, it starts to not really matter all that much.

But hey, once my lease is up, I'll surely be looking into a 2010 TL ( for SH-AWD).
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by shuref00t
Here's what I disliked about the TL:
-Heavy-steering/torque-steer was evident at even local street speeds
-Less than stellar power below 3000 rpm
-[warning: flamebait] Kind of handled like a boat (Yeah, I know, I should've tried the Type-S!)

But those weren't the deal breakers for me, it was the price. Basically, both Paragon & Valley Stream weren't budging from anything under $35,500 for a '07 TL w/ Navi. And from observing how most members here claimed they were getting TL-S for around that price, and many others getting theirs well below msrp & even below invoice, I had to pass on those offers.
low end power & fuel mileage go hand in hand, you cant have both, I'll take the mileage thank you. An upgraded rear sway bar + suspension handles all boat like feelings

You have to keep in mind that you've got people quoting prices all over the US. Cali has some of the cheaper prices due to competition. In the NY area, you may very well have had bargain prices.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Why didn't you bash Lexus?

You should've gotten the RL then if you wanted AWD.

Yes Acura has reliability, but the TL has had it's share of problems too. 2nd gen TL's had the transmission failures.
THIS is a 3G TL area. NOT 2G. The RL is BLAH to me. Lexus are OVER priced. The only Lexus I would buy is the IS350. BUT like I said it's FWD or AWD for me! The only AWD IS is the IS 250. UNDER POWERED.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Instructor

True true...

I wanted the 2007 G35 but it was too pricey as people were running to the dealerships and paying MSRP straight up plus 6.8% financing.

TL is better bang for the buck, better reliability reviews and higher resale value (according to Edmunds and JD Power)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
VS#03

Regreted not buying the G35.........G35 is a more enjoyable car to drive, selling my TL for a German vehicle.

Kevin
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
04 NBP 6MT

Interior and reliability are why I chose the TL over a G35 coupe. After owning two craptastic domestics, I'm super picky about reliability. The glass AT in the 2G are one reason I went MT - I actually had a hard time overlooking this, but my previous Acura was bombproof.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
TL SL ML :)

THIS is a 3G TL area. NOT 2G. The RL is BLAH to me. Lexus are OVER priced. The only Lexus I would buy is the IS350. BUT like I said it's FWD or AWD for me! The only AWD IS is the IS 250. UNDER POWERED.
That's the farthest from the truth...the ES, RX, LS, GS aren't overpriced at all when looking at the whole spectrum of the luxury market, meaning BMW's, Benz's, Porsches, Audi's etc....the IS and LX are a bit pricey but still not exactly overpriced.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced

It's really close...

Originally Posted by lavo
in the market for a TL but was lookin at G35 Coupes, why did you guys choose the TL over the G35 sedan or coupe? my parents have a sedan so i wouldnt get one but was lookin at the G35 coupes. I did a poll on another site and most said G35s, i personally Love the interior of the TL and dont care for the G35 interior so im leanin towards gettin a TL.
I like the exterior styling of the G35 a bit better, and the interior of the TLS a bit better. The G35 has the edge (not huge) in chassis dynamics, and with 6-speed gearboxes, it's a bit quicker in a drag race (due mostly to its rpm advantage). The TLS has the advantage in terms of interior room.

With 6-speed gearboxes, the TLS is noticeably more refined than the G35 - expecially if you're pushing the cars. The G35 has an annoying buzz in the pedals and gearbox lever when the revs rise.

With automatics, the G35 is still not as refined an engine, but the significant buzz is gone, and it will flat out walk away from an automatic TLS at about any speed.

I chose the TLS with 6-speed and Bridgestones over the 6-speed G35 Sport, but would've chosen the G35 Sport with an automatic over the TLS auto. The Honda just loses too much performance with the auto, especially off the line.

YMMV,

Bruce
Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I Had owned a 350z, and to me, the G35c, G35x were just mock ups, an imposter. Not to mention, so many damn kids in my school drive G35c's, i just had to get something else. I'm so glad i chose the TL
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast.

I chose the TLS with 6-speed and Bridgestones over the 6-speed G35 Sport, but would've chosen the G35 Sport with an automatic over the TLS auto. The Honda just loses too much performance with the auto, especially off the line.
That's the correct statement.

The TL-S AT is the heaviest in its class, and the 5 speed automatic transmission isn't helping. At least it if was a new 6spd Auto, would've helped a little bit on the acceleration.

The lighest in its class is the Standard '04~ '06 TL 6MT without NAVI. 3480 lbs, not bad.

I do have to admit that the G35 Coupe's front end is very, very appealing.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
this thread will not be open for much longer so get it out of your systems...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
08 type-s

why is everyone saying the g35 is faster??? i have 3 different friends with g35's 2 auto, and 1 6sp....and none of them are faster... of the line yes... but on the move, no chance...
my friends auto g35 couldnt even keep up with my 6sp tsx on the move.... junkboxes!! haha ok...i'm done...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I drove the 2007 models of G35, IS250, and TL.

I just came out of an RX-8 Mazda so I was ready to come back to the luxury side of the equation.

IS250 was my favorite despite bone-jarring ride (rougher than my RX-8) and weak acceleration. I liked the way the car looked, the beautiful interior, and the way the car felt when I drove it. It wasn't particularly roomy, though, and availability was still reasonably scarce so I was not expecting much of a deal.

G35 was a rocket. Very nice interior. Also a very firm, and entirely quiet ride. My biggest gripe was the touchy accelerator pedal, it was hard to get off the line smoothly.

TL. Great value for the money, roomy, FWD (I prefer the feel of RWD but I live in Cleveland where we get a bit of snow), good acceleration and fuel economy, quiet, standard car was loaded. I didn't like the interior of the TL-S and didn't want the firmer ride.

I wasn't seriously in the market for a new car but dealer threw a lot of cash at my tradein last December. So I took the plunge.

I'm very happy with the car. It is my third Acura (1 Gen CL, 2 Gen TL, 3 Gen TL). When my lease expires in December 2009, it's a good bet my next car will be the 4 Gen TL, I hope.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by dragncivic
why is everyone saying the g35 is faster??? i have 3 different friends with g35's 2 auto, and 1 6sp....and none of them are faster... of the line yes... but on the move, no chance...
my friends auto g35 couldnt even keep up with my 6sp tsx on the move.... junkboxes!! haha ok...i'm done...
a TSX? what you smokin there buddy. Did you mod your TSX? then maybe makes sense..

The TL 6MT will have the advantage at higher speeds than the G35. From stand still the G35 will have the advantage, by a little. At high speeds I can give them good spanky.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:45 PM
08 type-s

not modded really intake header and exhaust.... but still an auto g35 should of walked my tsx but it didnt....haha
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

not modded really intake header and exhaust.... but still an auto g35 should of walked my tsx but it didnt....haha
Well then that probably shows your great shifting/clutching skills. Anyways, nice run.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Instructor

I think most people are talking about the 2007 G35 sedan with 306hp. The auto version of that car is quicker than the TL-S 6spd. I am talking 1/4 mile, though the G35 is probably faster at all speeds. The G35 (non AWD) weighs less than the TL-S and has more hp and torque and the advantage of RWD.

The TL-S 6MT with a good driver is a match for the 2007 G35 coupe and 2006 G35 6spd, though the G still has the advantage.

I wouldn't be suprised if a modded TSX beat an older and stock 260hp G35 sedan auto from a roll.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vatltltl
I wouldn't be suprised if a modded TSX beat an older and stock 260hp G35 sedan auto from a roll.
I would. Especially considering the TSX only has i/h/e
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Major reason....TL 4door looks better than G35x's 4door, 2nd...the 2 door G35 was on RWD...i need All or front for all the snow we see around here in the winter...dont have money to buy 1 new car and a beater....3...the tl was faster when the g's first came out....and we had "275hp".....if they quoted 258 as they do now....i probably would have bought an Accord and save me like $15K
Old 05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blazinginder
That's the farthest from the truth...the ES, RX, LS, GS aren't overpriced at all when looking at the whole spectrum of the luxury market, meaning BMW's, Benz's, Porsches, Audi's etc....the IS and LX are a bit pricey but still not exactly overpriced.
I go to a close Lexus dealer alot, and the IS 350 is $10,000 more loaded then my 07 TL-S with all the options, and a WAY better NAV system
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
Major reason....TL 4door looks better than G35x's 4door, 2nd...the 2 door G35 was on RWD...i need All or front for all the snow we see around here in the winter...dont have money to buy 1 new car and a beater....3...the tl was faster when the g's first came out....and we had "275hp".....if they quoted 258 as they do now....i probably would have bought an Accord and save me like $15K
My fully loaded 06 Accord, EX V6 NAV was $30k. My TL-S was $39k sticker. I paid $27k fotr the Honda ans $36k for the 07 TL-S and its NIGHT AND DAY
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My fully loaded 06 Accord, EX V6 NAV was $30k. My TL-S was $39k sticker. I paid $27k fotr the Honda ans $36k for the 07 TL-S and its NIGHT AND DAY
lol of course the TL-S is better than the accord...but the TL-P and the Accord are basically the same...if not the accord 2 door is lighter.... ....but just wait for the 08 accord....yummy
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

the TL look's alot more "Upper Class."& roomy,with more interior room...Chintzy interior in the G35,also poor reliability!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 PM
B A N N E D

I think most people are talking about the 2007 G35 sedan with 306hp. The auto version of that car is quicker than the TL-S 6spd. I am talking 1/4 mile, though the G35 is probably faster at all speeds. The G35 (non AWD) weighs less than the TL-S and has more hp and torque and the advantage of RWD.
There is more power loss on the rear wheel drive on the G35 than the Front wheel drive TL on the manual transmission. You sound like you didn't know about that. You can't just go by horsepower numbers and weight to determine speed. It doesn't quite always work like that. The TL doesn't need as much power to keep up with the higher HP and Torque cars. Also the power band on the TL is really good at higher speed you go. The VTEC does some wonders at high rpms. I know you got a nice pretty looking burgandy TL there but stop praising the G35. I know you aren't trying to praise, but the way you write will lead the people to think G35 is the God car. It don't work like that......

The TL-S 6MT with a good driver is a match for the 2007 G35 coupe and 2006 G35 6spd, though the G still has the advantage.
wrong... The TL-S 6MT with a good driver is a good match for the 200"7" G35 Sedan AT in the straightaways. In the curves the TL will also outshine the G. The racetrack lap times show how the TL-S 6MT is superior to the G35. It put the G35 '07 Sedan to a shame, by two full seconds. Lexus IS350 was at about 1.8 seconds slower than the TL-S. Remember, 40 years of life experience doesn't mean that person knows everything......
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
B A N N E D

To add some more sugar to the mix, the 500 HP Shelby GT was needed to barely beat the TL-S 6MT in the same track, by same pro driver. This is why beating the 306hp '07 G35 SEDAN AT was a piece of cup cake. If I had the choice between the '07 G35 Sedan AT and the TL-S 6MT I would choose the TL-S. The IS350 would be the second choice due to it's supreme build quality, power, and elegance.

Let me say it again, the TL-S 6MT is a freakin race car.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=vatltltl]

I disagree on that cause i beat a g35 coupe when my car was stock, also took out a G35 couple on a freeway going 130miles and thats when he had a head start on the freeway going 90miles.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Forum_Owner
There is more power loss on the rear wheel drive on the G35 than the Front wheel drive TL on the manual transmission. You sound like you didn't know about that. You can't just go by horsepower numbers and weight to determine speed. It doesn't quite always work like that. The TL doesn't need as much power to keep up with the higher HP and Torque cars. Also the power band on the TL is really good at higher speed you go. The VTEC does some wonders at high rpms. I know you got a nice pretty looking burgandy TL there but stop praising the G35. I know you aren't trying to praise, but the way you write will lead the people to think G35 is the God car. It don't work like that......

wrong... The TL-S 6MT with a good driver is a good match for the 200"7" G35 Sedan AT in the straightaways. In the curves the TL will also outshine the G. The racetrack lap times show how the TL-S 6MT is superior to the G35. It put the G35 '07 Sedan to a shame, by two full seconds. Lexus IS350 was at about 1.8 seconds slower than the TL-S. Remember, 40 years of life experience doesn't mean that person knows everything......

You're kidding me right? If not....
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
B A N N E D

No, I am not kidding.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Here, have fun:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275963
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ damn I totally missed out on that thread.. a lot of good stuff said.

tires
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 PM
B A N N E D

Tires is what they have come up with an excuse why TL-S slaughtered both. It is the suspension and the overall engineering of the car that provided such great performance on the tracks. Don't let tires get carried away. Did ya think the IS350 and the G35 used the crap tires?..... no.

leedogg, thanks for posting the link. Actually that is one of the links I was going to post for a backup if he asked for it.

In curvier tracks the TL-S has even more potential to obtain better times. The link in the video below is a different track, same location but it's the one with more curves.

http://www.xanga.com/TL_Type_S

I know this was already posted before but I'll post it so you can get to see what TL performs like.

Yes, people, please read the entire thread in that Lexus forum. It was orginally posted here in Acurazine forum in Racing/Competition section prior to that. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/check-out-my-new-21-3-monitor-%2Apics%2A-151884/ They contain lots of information and what the TL-S cars truly are. You'll get to learn more about it and it's not *just* power, but it is the handling and responsiveness. It was so good that the people in Lexus forum gave many props to the Acura. They actually gave credits where it's due. Quite generous coming from the Lexus guys/girls.

You'll also find out(hopefully) that taking off from stand still don't mean jack. Where does that shine? In the dragstrip, yes. Who gives a sh#t about dragstrips.. not every road in the street is straight. You want to get serious? go to the race track where there are tons of turns like S-curves and hair-pins.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Instructor

LOL! I'm not going to dispute the road course times or the article or the act that the TL-S has a better suspension setup than the other two cars. It is what it is.

I was responding to this statement:

My point remains the same. I know all about gearing, weight, aero, tires, driveline loss, hp, torque, powerband, etc. In a straight line, on the street or on the race track (1/4 mile) and with equal drivers, more hp, more torque, and less weight equals a faster car. Even VTEC can't overcome the laws of physics. The bottom line is the 07 G35 6MT and the IS350 are faster in a straightline standing start 1/4 mile than the TL-S. Can the TL-S beat them from a 90mph roll? Sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not bragging on the G35, I do own a TL, but I'm also realistic. I'm sure I can beat an 07 G35 6MT on the street or the track, but it's not because I have a faster car.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
B A N N E D

Red burgandy TL driver, of course, if you haven't really caught what I meant the G35 sedan AT and the IS350 will have the advantage on take offs from standing still, meaning, faster, but by a margin.

I would give more credit to a car that performs better in the road course tracks, having steep curves where the combination of suspension system and power do the work out, and the driver, of course. This is another reason why I would choose the TL over the other contenders.

You own the TL, try standing up for it. Don't give too much credit on the G35 because you sound like you the G35 representer. Giving some credit is okay, but not overly exaggerative...

By the way, I like your TL. Looks damn..... pretty. That red really gives me an attention.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Red burgandy TL driver, of course, if you haven't really caught what I meant the G35 sedan AT and the IS350 will have the advantage on take offs from standing still, meaning, faster, but by a margin.

I would give more credit to a car that performs better in the road course tracks, having steep curves where the combination of suspension system and power do the work out, and the driver, of course. This is another reason why I would choose the TL over the other contenders.

You own the TL, try standing up for it. Don't give too much credit on the G35 because you sound like you the G35 representer. Giving some credit is okay, but not overly exaggerative...

By the way, I like your TL. Looks damn..... pretty. That red really gives me an attention.
Thanks for the props on my car.

I hear what you're saying, as my first post in this thread indicates, I bought the TL over the G35 for several other reasons as well. I don't regret the decision to buy the TL one bit. Although it would be nice to have the TL-S motor in it. :wink:
Old 05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
In the curves the TL will also outshine the G. The racetrack lap times show how the TL-S 6MT is superior to the G35. It put the G35 '07 Sedan to a shame, by two full seconds. Lexus IS350 was at about 1.8 seconds slower than the TL-S. Remember, 40 years of life experience doesn't mean that person knows everything......
YEah, but you are also leaving out the fact that the driver of the TL-S was the drift king, who has been a longtime honda supporter. Who was driving the other cars? The driver of the TL-S even pointed out that "american drivers" don't properly utilize the car's potential on some of the exit curves.

I went to a race event in Arizona while ago. I can tell you, the driver makes all the difference. Many of the folks there been to the track before, and thought of themselves as good drivers. To humble the folks there (and to prove a point), the instructor drove a 15 passenger CARGO VAN on the track, and raced against the students driving C5 Corvettes. The instructor in the CARGO VAN spanked everybody. Now does this mean a Cargo Van has better handling than a C5 vette? No. But in the hands of an expert, it sure can feel like it.

Note: I'm not saying the TL-S doesn't handle better, I'm just saying that the driver of the TL-S is probably the biggest expert on driving Honda/FWD platforms than anybody else in the world.

To switch gears a little. I remember watching a motoring video, (I can't remember which), where there was a race between several cars, I think 7. (The video was a tuning event) The RSX came in 6th place or something like that... The team flew in a "specialist" driver from Japan, to drive the RSX. They raced again the next day with the japanese driver, and the RSX came in 1st palce.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
YEah, but you are also leaving out the fact that the driver of the TL-S was the drift king, who has been a longtime honda supporter. Who was driving the other cars?
All three cars were driven by the same driver.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy the TL over the G35?