3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Is Desert Mist Metallic The Least Popular?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased my '06 Acura TL DMM and I love it. I just think it is a matter of personal choice. I am not a Senior Citizen and I happen to love this color. I tend to go towards "warm" tones, so that is why I chose the DMM. Silver is a "cold" color, so that would not have been an option for me. And as for black; it is hard to keep clean and also shows many imperfections and "swirl" marks in the paint. Also, I did not want "black leather" interior. With that said, my only option would be to get the "White Pearl" with "Parchment" leather. My previous car (Mazda 626 V6-LX) was similar in color: "Mojave Beige", and I loved it - the color is not "trendy" at all, and is "timeless", in my opinion. My previous car was 10 years old and the paint still looked fantastic! As long as you are happy with your chosen color on your TL, that is what matters - it's a "personal" choice.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Retired and Loving It

If you bought a DMM TL you sure aren't going to see yourself going down the road much. I personally don't dislike the color but my wife does. To tell you the truth I haven't seen a TL this color in person, all I've seen are pics. I shopped at four Acura dealers in August for my TL and none had one this color. That has to tell you something.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to be an older white male who lives in a semi-arid climate.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Isn't DMM the color of the car Motorweek used to test the '04 TL?

I think it was.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Intermediate

Personaly I am not a fan of the Desert Mist, Sand Stone, or whatever they are calling it now.

I worked for Boch Honda on the Automile in Norwood, Mass. While I was employed there I discovered the reason why auto makers still use the color. It is a status symbol in many cultures. Therefore it still appeals to many people.

It is along the same lines why dealers ad car prices always end in 88. 88 is considered a lucky number is many cultures as well.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Meh. Last two cars were silver-ish. No way I was buying another silver car of any type.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced

DMM was my second choice as well...but i bought a WDP instead. I think the DMM on the lot had the camel interior, which i liked less than the parchment color.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

gee, because it is a GRANDMOTHER COLOR, when i worked at acura, that color only sold to 65+ year olds i swear, along with the parchment interior....i threw in a free pack of depends each sale too
Old 09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
RIP 06 TL

Haha this is a funny thread. I think everyone has their own taste! But if you compare the number of parchment buicks/oldsmobiles etc...with TL's you will have your answer.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Well the fact that nobody has yet to post a pic in the DMM pics thread outta tell you that its not the most popular color.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to the board, Bammyz. You enjoy your DMM and ignore all these non-DMM owning haters.

Originally Posted by Bammyz
I just purchased my '06 Acura TL DMM and I love it.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
03 TLS -> 06 Anth Navi MT

Another DMM hater here. I'm happy to report I've never owned an auto in any shade of tan!

Lighter colors are easier to maintain. My 03 TL-S was WDP and I was amazed at how much the color grew on me. One thing I don't like about lighter colors is waxing them. IMHO, you get twice the shine on a dark color.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
A DMM car could look pretty hot modded out, just so you know...you have to visualize it (use the right side of your brain). That being said, I doubt I would buy a car that color myself...I can appreciate it, but it's not me. As for seeing them, I have seen three (two within five minutes of each other ). The drivers were middle aged to older gentlemen, but then again, so are most TL drivers I see. By comparison, I have only seen one DGP and two or three ABP's.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Meat Popsicle

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
lol wow...87? thats quite interesting, not to infringe on the population of older car fans, but i don't know anyone over 60 who knows how to work a computer, let alone know that forums like this are out there

Kind of a stupid thing to say. The people who invented computers as you know them today are near or over 60.
What you mean to say is that in your narrow experience you have not met any people over sixty that are using computers.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Meat Popsicle

I think you do not see the Gold because they do not make many of them. Since the dealers do not have rows of them stacked up, they must be selling as many as they make. As was stated earlier, color choice runs in cycles. Honda tries to keep its fingers on what the customers like.
I have not seen a TL that looked bad in any of the colors that have been made. I chose a combination that I liked. I bet you did too.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
lol wow...87? thats quite interesting, not to infringe on the population of older car fans, but i don't know anyone over 60 who knows how to work a computer, let alone know that forums like this are out there.
WHAT?!?! You gotta be kiddin'. I'm "over 60" and not only do I know how to work a computer, I've built four of them for my own use and for others. Not t omention that I've designed and managed commercial websites.

You kids will figure out in a few years that 60 isn't some old codger age anymore.

(And BTW, DMM is a pretty color. Just look at it in the sunlight sometime. If you can forget that weird notion that certain colors go only with certain ages. )

Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Welcome to the board, Bammyz. You enjoy your DMM and ignore all these non-DMM owning haters.

Well, thanks. Like I said before, it's a matter of personal choice. To each his own.

People can say its a "Grandmother's color" or whatever.....I happen to think it looks really sharp!

This is really funny actually. I thought that joining this board would be a pleasant experience, but I see a lot of negative and condescending remarks by other TL Owners, which really surprises me. To say that one particular color is "ugly" or "old people" color is just ridiculous. Color is a matter of preference. There are colors that I don't particularly like (especially on a car), but I am not going to say that that color is "ugly".

Thanks again! And I will enjoy my DMM and drive down the road with pride!

BTW: Since my color is NOT "popular", I guess that just makes me all the more "unique" - I get lots of people taking a double take at my car, 'cause it looks so hot! I never considered myself as "average" anyways.....

Peace TL Brothers!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by 03TL_S
gee, because it is a GRANDMOTHER COLOR, when i worked at acura, that color only sold to 65+ year olds i swear, along with the parchment interior....i threw in a free pack of depends each sale too
03TL_S, Thanks, you just confirmed my opinion of car salesmen.

Originally Posted by Bammyz
I thought that joining this board would be a pleasant experience, but I see a lot of negative and condescending remarks by other TL Owners, which really surprises me. To say that one particular color is "ugly" or "old people" color is just ridiculous. Color is a matter of preference. There are colors that I don't particularly like (especially on a car), but I am not going to say that that color is "ugly".
Don't worry Bammyz, most of the people here are pleasant. There is a wealth of information here if you can get past the few doofuses. Don't be tempted to leave this board because of the few idiots and haters you find here. Simply add them to your "ignore" list.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by clay8898
It's a grandma color.
Bingo
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Instructor

saw a DMM TL in the parking lot in OC, at Tustin Market during a bright sunny day. i was with my parents and they said "this color no good looks old". fyi my parents are in their mid 50s.

the color made the TL looks like it just aged 30+ years. old boring grandma color. gold represents luxury back in the days? i dont care because DMM makes the TL look like another camry or buick

btw who said TL is not sports sedan but a luxury sedan only. lemme tell u whats a true luxury sedan and not sporty, eg. ES 330, Lincoln sedans, etc
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Here's your pic...just picked up last week. Now this is a good looking color!!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I personally think any shade of beige is disgusting. I wouldn't want it on any car. But, to each their own.

Why is this thread still going? Get what you like and give the 1 finger salute to anyone who tells you that you should have done otherwise - it is your car afterall. Myself included
Old 09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny, I am not a huge fan of the color, but mugen picked it for their concept car:

Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 AM
9th Gear

I can't believe what I'm reading here, actually the people who say Gold or Beige Hued is a "old folks" color are totally incorrect. Any color in the spectrum can be labeled such. I see older people driving various colors and I don't think there is any evidence to support the stereotype. Color is personal choice, why blast people for their choice if it doesn't suit you?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by ssoulin75
I can't believe what I'm reading here, actually the people who say Gold or Beige Hued is a "old folks" color are totally incorrect. Any color in the spectrum can be labeled such. I see older people driving various colors and I don't think there is any evidence to support the stereotype. Color is personal choice, why blast people for their choice if it doesn't suit you?
I agree, I'm 57 and retired, but I don't own a gold or beige car. My 05 RL is white pearl and my 06 TL is silver. I don't know why Acura doesn't drop the DMM color, it doesn't sell much at all given the ones I've seen on the road, which is ZERO!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
I agree, I'm 57 and retired, but I don't own a gold or beige car. My 05 RL is white pearl and my 06 TL is silver. I don't know why Acura doesn't drop the DMM color, it doesn't sell much at all given the ones I've seen on the road, which is ZERO!
I saw a 06 RL this morning that was DMM still had t-tags on it, looked good and some 30 something woman I estimate was behind the wheel yet my local dealer has no 06 DMM RL's in stock.

Some people think Yellow and Lime Green looks great, to each is their own thus we don't live in a Orwellian Society and the days of the Model T just coming in Black are no more.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rt4563
03TL_S, Thanks, you just confirmed my opinion of car salesmen.

Don't worry Bammyz, most of the people here are pleasant. There is a wealth of information here if you can get past the few doofuses. Don't be tempted to leave this board because of the few idiots and haters you find here. Simply add them to your "ignore" list.

Thanks for your kind words. I will ignore the haters. For the most part, there are a lot of nice and intelligent people here!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Redfish
Here's your pic...just picked up last week. Now this is a good looking color!!

Ahhh, very nice! I like, I like
Old 09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Drifting

i would def pick DMM over Gold anyday, i really liked that color ever since I saw it on an RSX
Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ssoulin75

Thank You! Right On! To say that DMM is an "Old People" color is just plain stupid. I see plenty of "Grey Hairs" driving Buick LeSabres and Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs that are NOT "gold" in color! To say that DMM is a "Grandma color" is like saying Silver, White, Blue, Red, Green and Black is too - because most of the 55+ Population I see are driving Silver Buicks and such..........So then, the haters should be saying that is an "Old People's" color too!

See how ridiculous this is!?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
It's funny, I am not a huge fan of the color, but mugen picked it for their concept car:

Mugen picked it, or it was the one Acura was willing to give them?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs

You say you "agree" with this person's post that color is a "personal choice", then you turn around and start bashing it again, Whats's the deal?

You don't own a DMM, so good for you! Why are you yapping about it then?

I would rather be driving down the road in my Acura TL DMM, than driving a Silver TL -- which is the color of every other TL you see on the road! At least the DMM stands out more, in my opinion.

People usually tend to go towards more "basic" colors when they purchase a vehicle, that is probably the reason why they don't keep as many DMM in stock.

And furthermore, everyone who is bashing the DMM keeps calling it GOLD or BEIGE. For the last cotton-picking time, IT IS NOT BEIGE or GOLD. It is called: DESERT MIST METALLIC - which is more in the earthy tones as "sand" - its an "earthy" & warm color, okay?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheNip73
I personally think any shade of beige is disgusting. I wouldn't want it on any car. But, to each their own.

Why is this thread still going? Get what you like and give the 1 finger salute to anyone who tells you that you should have done otherwise - it is your car afterall. Myself included

The color is NOT "Beige" it is "DESERT MIST METALLIC". I would say it is more of a "sand" or "bronze" color before I would say it was "gold" or "Beige".

And, what color is YOUR TL, so that we may say that YOUR color is "disgusting" also
Old 09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Not a dude.

If you don't like DMM then don't buy one. If you don't like SSM then don't buy one of those. You don't need to insult anybody! Whatever color they want to choose is up to them.

Mods, for goodness' sake, please this thread before a riot breaks out.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
La Chica loca y QUE??

This is STUPID.... I am 26 and happily own a DMM car. I'm going to drop it next yea and put 19's on it, geez... I get compliments on my car all the time. I wasn't crazy about the color when I bought it, because it was used, but it has grown on me. I LOVE MY CAR. So get off of it, damn. Its just a color, geez...
All of my family and friends love the car, especially on the inside. TL's are Beautiful, no matter what color to me. Everyone and their mama in Austin has silver, black and white. I don't hate, that's cool. So, I'm unique, better for me.
My rant for the day...
Yes mods, please close this pointless thread. Just my
Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicaTL
Yes mods, please close this pointless thread. Just my

gladly.

Chica, get in there and post a pic of your car in the DMM thread...