3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Is Desert Mist Metallic The Least Popular?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could imagine this car with the Ron Jon kit + any available powermod including supercharger and NOS and the CHP will not even see it as a race car....
Old 02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
The color only looks good in a A-SPEC version IMHO
I have a DMM A-Spec. I agree and the dealer's service people were astounded at the transformation from "Geezer color" to "Looks like a Concept car."
BTW, I'm 60 and been rockin' all those years.

DJ Kaz
www.kaz1dj.com
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Kaz
I have a DMM A-Spec. I agree and the dealer's service people were astounded at the transformation from "Geezer color" to "Looks like a Concept car."
BTW, I'm 60 and been rockin' all those years.

DJ Kaz
www.kaz1dj.com
Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FugittiveTLS`03
IMO
One word.......Geriatrics
No offense to anyone w/ DMM....its just the color i see most senoir citzens driving
... that comment is full of horse shit. Prove it.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

hey now that color happens to be the most popular color for Buicks
Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by countdracura
... that comment is full of horse shit. Prove it.
Some of these failed abortions are full of horse shit.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car color wars

Damn, this thread is getting nasty and all over a car color...Give me a break.

I think it's true that the younger drivers like the more radical colors, Nighthawk, Anthracite, red etc and some of the mature drivers go for more moderated colors like DMM.
I am the owner of a NBP and think the deep shiny, oily, black color is beautiful. No doubt. It's a car for guys that like to race, add mods and it seems the center of their lives. I think of my Tl as a luxury car that goes fast but when the weather is bad outside, I know a short drive in the rain is going to cost me several hours of work to bring that deep black finish out again.

On the other hand there is no uglier car than a dirty NBP with visible chips and swirl marks. In short, to keep the NBP pristine takes a siginificant amount of work 40 coats of zaino etc.

Maybe some wisdom comes with age and experience. WIthout question, DMM hides dirt, swirl marks and chips and maintains it's finish for ages.
I've owned silver cars that have faded badly in the sun despite hard work, all colors have their faults.

It seems groups tend to polarize to different colors and sometime beautiful cars are ignored. Just look at the posts that show pictures of DMM and they are beautiful cars. Also Many SUV's and the hated minivans are black, silver and red.
Not all are gold.

Hopefully all of us are mature enough to realize there are people with different tastes and to many of us DMM is elegant. This is a TL forum and we should keep an open mind to different colors without getting pissed and saying certain colors are for old people. Take it easy, enjoy your car and respect other members choices.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Racer

If I had known people would react like this, I wouldn't have started this thread. Personally I see nothing wrong with DMM. The TL looks better in other colors, but it still looks good in DMM. I wouldn't call it dull. I think if any color is dull, it's Anthracite, but I'll save that for another thread.

I do feel the need to comment on something someone said earlier. They said the TL is not a sports car. I agree. It's a luxury car with a sporty character, but it's definitely not a sports car. And gold is one of the traditional colors for a luxury car. And I don't think it's strictly an age issue. I see plenty of younger people driving gold Mercedes C-class sedans. When I picked up my TL, there was an old couple picking up one too. It's was ABP. Does that mean that ABP is an old person's color?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
I wanted the parchment interior and I knew it would be easy to clean. But NBP just looked too good to pass up. Your thoughts?
Get NBP/Parchment!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Systems Overlord

It's all a matter of personal taste. Personally it would have been my last choice. I think the color is bland. Makes me think of a Toyota Camry or Lexus ES330.
Orignally was going to get AM or DGP. Once I saw the NBP in the showroom I was sold. I knew that I would be investing more time in keeping it clean, but as far as I'm concerned nothing beats a clean, shinny black car.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Slinks
Get NBP/Parchment!
Thanks, but I already got it back in October. When I said 'your thoughts?', I was asking what you think of DMM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Instructor

I like the DMM and I do not consider myself old at 40 The only reason I got SSM was that I liked both equally and it was way easier (faster) to get the SSM.

And yes, with parchment, it makes a gorgeous combination!!

Cheers
Old 02-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

The nice thing about DMM TL's are they are 100% trouble free, at least mine has been for the last 16 months. They are so good they don't even get dirty, or rattle or vibrate. The production line must get tired of cookie cutter colours and put extra effort in DMM's
Old 02-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jss1
...They are so good they don't even get dirty, or rattle or vibrate. The production line must get tired of cookie cutter colours and put extra effort in DMM's
U made me laugh... what the coincidence ... 2 champagne-colors vehicles my families have have no rattle/vibration.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Intermediate

Don't listen to these young little punks! Personally, I find that gold to be very nice and classy.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Gold is old and thus it's out. As far as the parchment interior goes, I agree with you it looks awesome and that is why I got the WDP. Now that is one sweet colour.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Gold is old and thus it's out. As far as the parchment interior goes, I agree with you it looks awesome and that is why I got the WDP. Now that is one sweet colour.
Azz zee french would say it loooks verry Bourgeois.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

This thread won't DIE ......must be taking its Nitro
Old 02-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Who Dis Is?

I just wouldn't pick it because that's old people's favorite color on a Buick.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLer
Azz zee french would say it loooks verry Bourgeois.
I almost got WDP but heard the bumper color doesn't match and gets worse over time. Have you noticed that with your TL?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
I just wouldn't pick it because that's old people's favorite color on a Buick.
So if old people's favorite color was black, would you never consider the TL in black? Personally I think it's silly to worry what other people get.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

dude... it's beige... how do you get MORE boring than beige?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Thumbs down

So if old people's favorite color was black, would you never consider the TL in black? Personally I think it's silly to worry what other people get.
or it could just be that the color is boring as hell. it's not about what other ppl would get, I think what he meant was that it's an OLD PERSON color and therefore not encapsulating the sportiness of the car or not fitting for a younger person.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:51 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Im 35 And Far From A Geezer. When Shopping For My Tl, I Wasn't Sure Which Color To Choose. I Owned Both White And Black Cars. I've Always Loved White, But Didn't Want To Go That Route Again. I Swore Off Black Or Any Dark Color After Owning A 95 Black Integra. It's Just Horrible To Keep Clean And Polished. After Seeing A Dmm In A Showroom, I Really Thought It Looked Classy. It's Easy To Keep Clean And Always Looks Good. I Hate The Tl In Anthracite..it's Dull And Too Many People Have It. I Get A Ton Of Compliments On The Color From People In Shopping Malls To Gas Stations. Not To Mention, The Parchment Looks With It. Don't Trash It..it's A Good Color.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GUMP
Im 35 And Far From A Geezer. When Shopping For My Tl, I Wasn't Sure Which Color To Choose. I Owned Both White And Black Cars. I've Always Loved White, But Didn't Want To Go That Route Again. I Swore Off Black Or Any Dark Color After Owning A 95 Black Integra. It's Just Horrible To Keep Clean And Polished. After Seeing A Dmm In A Showroom, I Really Thought It Looked Classy. It's Easy To Keep Clean And Always Looks Good. I Hate The Tl In Anthracite..it's Dull And Too Many People Have It. I Get A Ton Of Compliments On The Color From People In Shopping Malls To Gas Stations. Not To Mention, The Parchment Looks With It. Don't Trash It..it's A Good Color.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks the Anthracite is dull. And you're right, the parchment looks awesome on the DMM.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Instructor

color reminds me of everytime my parents rent a car in florida -- cadillac or oldsmobile or lincoln towncar --
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Why?.....because it's TAN! Tan, desert mist, sand, beige, etc. are
Old 02-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jafo
Gold was still popular in the 90s... I have a Gold '96 Camry.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:11 AM
but you can call me Ken.

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
It's not a color that appeals to the younger generation. My IS was gold and my trade in value was so low because of the color. Sooo yeah, never get a "sports" car in a gold color.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Damn, this thread is getting nasty and all over a car color...Give me a break.

I think it's true that the younger drivers like the more radical colors, Nighthawk, Anthracite, red etc and some of the mature drivers go for more moderated colors like DMM.
I am the owner of a NBP and think the deep shiny, oily, black color is beautiful. No doubt. It's a car for guys that like to race, add mods and it seems the center of their lives. I think of my Tl as a luxury car that goes fast but when the weather is bad outside, I know a short drive in the rain is going to cost me several hours of work to bring that deep black finish out again.

On the other hand there is no uglier car than a dirty NBP with visible chips and swirl marks. In short, to keep the NBP pristine takes a siginificant amount of work 40 coats of zaino etc.

Maybe some wisdom comes with age and experience. WIthout question, DMM hides dirt, swirl marks and chips and maintains it's finish for ages.
I've owned silver cars that have faded badly in the sun despite hard work, all colors have their faults.

It seems groups tend to polarize to different colors and sometime beautiful cars are ignored. Just look at the posts that show pictures of DMM and they are beautiful cars. Also Many SUV's and the hated minivans are black, silver and red.
Not all are gold.

Hopefully all of us are mature enough to realize there are people with different tastes and to many of us DMM is elegant. This is a TL forum and we should keep an open mind to different colors without getting pissed and saying certain colors are for old people. Take it easy, enjoy your car and respect other members choices.
Jazzpicker....you nailed it saying that driving your car in the rain is going to cost you several hours of work!!! I've owned 3 black cars and never could explain to my friends why I don't drive my car in rain or snow...they think I'm 'anal" and I probably am, but realizing that even a short drive in the rain means hours of work bringing back the "finish" explains all my woes. Currently I've got Anthracite and even that color shows dirt after driving in the rain. The desert mist color is probably so boring that I wouldn't care after driving in the rain. I should have got DMM...I'd probably actually drive my car. IMHO....DMM is really boring and I couldn't bring myself to buy a new car that was boring..unless I actually wanted to "Drive It".....hahaha!!
I use Zaino Z-6 every time I drive my car...so that puts me squarely in the "anal" category. Zaino did wonders for my Anthracite finish...but it took 5 coats before it started doing it's magic. People who see my TL think I've got a "custom" color...after 7 coats of Zaino...it looks much darker and has such depth to the finish that everyone thinks it's either a "custom" color or has been repainted. The most amazing thing about Zaino and Anthracite is how it changes the shade...it's much darker looking.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
It seems like they've changed the desert mist color over the years, because my 1994 Legend is desert mist and it doesn't look nearly as gold as the "new" version. When I was car-shopping, I absolutely wanted red or black. I settled for this color b/c the car was in such immaculate shape, and the color has really grown on me. It shows ZERO dirt! Have a look at these pics. Keep in mind the car had a disgusting layer of dirt when they were taken! I think my paint code is YR-506M. Is it still the same on new Acuras?

Link to the rest of the pics:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=63427
Old 02-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
It seems like they've changed the desert mist color over the years, because my 1994 Legend is desert mist and it doesn't look nearly as gold as the "new" version. When I was car-shopping, I absolutely wanted red or black. I settled for this color b/c the car was in such immaculate shape, and the color has really grown on me. It shows ZERO dirt! Have a look at these pics. Keep in mind the car had a disgusting layer of dirt when they were taken! I think my paint code is YR-506M. Is it still the same on new Acuras?
Yesterday a DMM RL parked one spot away from my DMM TL and the colors were WAY different. In fact, I went to acura.com and looked at the color names for the RL and was surprised to find they use the same color name.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Racer

I remember seeing a lot of Legend coupes in gold and it looked sharp. It's odd that so many people would get the Legend in gold, but not the TL. Times have really changed. I guess the old people hijacked the color gold.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Before anyone poo-poos this color, let me make a suggestion:

Go down to your local Acura dealer and take a look at the Desert Mist up close. Walk around the car. Look at it in full sunlight. Watch the light dance of the paint. Bathe in the gold metallic waters.

I finally got a chance to see one up close today. I loved it! DMM is now my second favorite color. It would've been a tough choice, had one been available when I was ready to buy.

BTW, 4cruizn, your car looks like Rosewood to me. I am almost certain that's what the paint code is.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Good call..I'm just wondering how many of you have actually seen the car and not just the color cad. It's radiant in the sunlight. I'm not saying you have to love it, but it's not as bad as you think. By the way, I saw one of my fellow DMM on the road yesterday. I think it's only my 5th sighting since July of 04.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Instructor

I almost got WDP but heard the bumper color doesn't match and gets worse over time. Have you noticed that with your TL?
Nope no mismatch. I love this colour. My friend had a 1992 Legend with the peark white and his car looked sharp for all the years he owned it. My neighbour has TSX in the same colour and his car looks great as well and he is well into his second year of ownership. I personally think the issue has been overly exagerated. This colour being a pearl does what it is supposed to, and that is give different shades of colour depending on how the light hits the car. This colour just does something for adding sophistication when it's on the right car.

BTW what colour did you end up with?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLer
Nope no mismatch. I love this colour. My friend had a 1992 Legend with the peark white and his car looked sharp for all the years he owned it. My neighbour has TSX in the same colour and his car looks great as well and he is well into his second year of ownership. I personally think the issue has been overly exagerated. This colour being a pearl does what it is supposed to, and that is give different shades of colour depending on how the light hits the car. This colour just does something for adding sophistication when it's on the right car.

BTW what colour did you end up with?
I ended up getting NBP. I was deciding between NBP, RRP, and WDP. Black and Red are both hard to keep clean and black better, so that ruled out red. When it came to white versus black, I just thought black looked better. The only time I wish I got white is when I see water spots or dust on my TL. The rest of the time, I love black.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm no geezer but I think desert mist is OK. My wife's 2001 Accord is that color, in fact. I didn't want a TL in the same color as my wife's car. That'd just make me seem whipped.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Instructor

I ended up getting NBP. I was deciding between NBP, RRP, and WDP. Black and Red are both hard to keep clean and black better, so that ruled out red. When it came to white versus black, I just thought black looked better. The only time I wish I got white is when I see water spots or dust on my TL. The rest of the time, I love black.
Well there is a reason why they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so to each his/her own . Besides if we all had preference for just one colour then it would be a very bland world. I owned a black car for 6 yrs. Never did drive it in winter but during the summer months I swear I could not keep the car clean long enough and that literally meant within a few minutes after washing it. As soon as I drove it, bamm dirt and dust attack. As for the water spots, I feel your pain and be careful of those because they will damage the clear coat depending on intensity of the sun. I swore off balck after I sold the car. I literally had days where I did not want to drive the car because I spent so much time cleaning it and knowing as soon as I leave the drive way it's over and back to square one. My last car was silver which I swear never looked dirty. amazing colour but too common. Now back to the WDP it's rare, very rare. Which adds to its road presence IMHO.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Racer

My next TL will most likely be a light color like white or silver. I'll be older and less willing to put in the time and energy to keep the car clean. And having had a gold car once, I know how easy lighter colors are to keep clean. I figure the next version of the TL will have AWD and at that point, I'll gladly trade up. I don't regret getting the TL in black cause I've always known I would not be keeping this car a long time.

Quick Reply: Why Is Desert Mist Metallic The Least Popular?