Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why angel eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ck25
Angel eyes are just a part of BMW design. You don't see any other stock cars with angel eyes, do you?

Now, I think most of us bought a TL not because we couldn't afford a BMW, but because we think TL is a better car or better bang of bucks. TL are IMO in the same class as 3-series.

So we bought a TL because we love it, so why do we want to make it BMWish? That's something I totally don't understand. You don't see BMW owners trying to make their cars look Acura'ish, do you?

I bought an Acura TL because I love the car, and I want to keep a TL a TL.
Retarded^
You can't tell me that These don't look FUCKIN' HOT! They, don't look bimmerish at all either, they are a brighter white color then the nasty off white bimmer halos.
I bought my TL cause I love acura's and am not a fan of german cars but when I saw these halo's i jumped at the chance to get them. But to each his own. Let's see a pic of your headlights.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I come from owning a BMW for the past 10 years. I have angel eyes on my TL-S and would never think it's a wannabe thing. I've showed up at a BMW meet and only received compliments.

Some of the experiences I've had.. you guys wouldn't believe unless you saw with your own eyes. From people dancing infront of my car while waiting at a stop light going "oh snap! phat ride!" They probably thought it was a ferrari or something in a music video. I had a guy wait for me to come back to my car at a grocery store just to tell me how nice the car looks at dusk, and I've had a guy almost get hit by a car as he ran across the parking lot to tell me my car looked "hot."

Small aesthetics on a nice car like a TL-S, whether it is rims, tint, angel eyes, etc, look great if done right.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u knwo whats funny i was driving around today lookin for some place to eat.....and I saw quite a few BMW's a 645 a 745 and 5 series (no idea which one) and all of them either had one halo out in one lens or 2 halos out in one lens and th oher side would have both sides lit up....even the manufacturers cant get it right.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^ LOL! Nice.

Is there a DIY tutorial for these anywhere on this board?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

there is.... i dont know if bforbrian did it or someone else but i know its somewhere.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Race Director

All I can find is Kennedys entire headlight build thread, which has the angels included...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=angel
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

yea there u go
Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ck25

So if you spent countless hours and money making angle eyes possible and love them, LOVE THEM! Why would you care what many other people and I think?
I could give two shits rather you or anyone else likes it. I like it a lot, as bmwish is you may think it is. I consider my car caveman"ish" since it rolls on wheels, and the Geico cavement were likely the first to market with those, but I've gotten passed that.

...and for the record, I split an angel eye kit with Ray... My cost: $80
and I installed them while clearing headlights, which took the better part of a Saturday - like 6 hours or so.

I wouldn't call any of those numbers $80 and 6 hours of work, ... "countless".
Old 05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

kennedy the countless ur referring to is incorrect..... look at the context he's using.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dunno....see this thread breaking out into a bit of an unnecessary arguement by some with overly strong/sensitive opinions. My take....its not anything I would ever entertain whatsoever as I think they are a bit ghey....but thats totally JMO. But I certainly am not going to knock somebody else for doing what they like...I certainly do.

To each his own I say. But dayum....some of you guys need to hang it up and stop worrying about opposing opinions to your own and feeling the need to constantly argue your point. As one poster in here said.....if you love em....love em! Its all good!

Here is one of my hangups too.....the name. Angel Eyes. Ghey. I am not any angel therefore I wont be needing to drive with angel eyes.....just sounds too girly man to me. Same reason I wont run Hanhook tires....not putting anything on my car with Kook in the name...lol. Weird I know....but again...JMO.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Race Director

Ok, call them Halos
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Ok, call them Halos
Same diff...lol. To me anyway....and again....thats just me.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Race Director

It's all good in da hood man. To each their own, for sure.

I think NBP, with the front grille mod (like darksom1s "floating A"), aspec suspension/body kit, and then angel eyes would look MEEEEEEEEEEEEAN!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I could give two shits rather you or anyone else likes it. I like it a lot, as bmwish is you may think it is. I consider my car caveman"ish" since it rolls on wheels, and the Geico cavement were likely the first to market with those, but I've gotten passed that.

That is the confidence some people need to exhibit when they do mods or whatever they do in life.

It's your money and time, so when you spend them, make sure you love whatever you're spending. For people to get mad over what people think about their mod is to me -- begging for approval that their mod looks good.

Apparently, I'm a confident individual, so if I'm set on doing something, I really don't give a fxxk what others think. It's just the same as some people posting pix of their ride asking "does this look good". Why do you guys even care what others think?

So why did I stir up this controversy? I was on a business trip in China and was quite bored one day late at night trying to fix the jet lag. So when I saw this "why angel eyes" thread, I decided to post something and entertain myself.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I've heard the whole BMW thing before and as I've said so many times before, this looks nothing like a BMW. Especially those of us with just 2 rings and blacked out lights....Their rings are more subtle and textured and a soft white color. The headlight shape is different with a more aggressive "demon" look. On our cars, we've done it in no part to make the car look like a BMW. You guys are missing the whole point.....lol. How the heck does it look BMW? I don't get it! And as Kennedy said, I too don't care who likes/who doesn't like blah blah. It's on my car, and IMO it's hott and angels are gay or whatever but they look hot....Oh did I just say that twice?

BTW Umnitzas are among the best on the market so they are not cheap knockoffs....BUT their prices are super inflated and their inverters are garbage.

The whole Audi thing crossed my mind as I pulled my headlights apart. It can be done by putting a white LED strip inside the headlight along the front lower edge. It's doable, nothing complicated....But it won't look right though IMO. It's really suited for the Audi's headlight shape. The projectors are housed a bit high in the headlight. If you try it in the TL light it will block light output. There are super slim strips you can buy that might work though. White LEDs straight and then when you get to the rear edge follow them upwards like that pic of the A5......

As tripn said, I'm not going to lie. This mod has some margin of fragility and questionable reliability. It's not bulletproof, permanent and made of industrial grade components and wiring. Even if you do a careful, clean install, things can still go wrong. The biggest consequence or risk with this mod is that if anything goes wrong for any reason, you're going to pull a whole mess of things apart to redo them. That's a lot of effort and you have to have a lotta love for this mod to face that risk. Don't ask me how I know. LOL.

It's all chances. So far I have done 3 sets of lights. My car came out flawless and they have been working perfect. I can't say the same about bforbrian and aznbnz's cars. For some reason both of those installs have had their share of problems. It's got us paranoid, checkin the rings every couple of weeks after a drive hoping theyre still lit...LOL! Will they still be working flawless till 2010? I dunno the answer on that one.....I hope so!

I can see how many will think, "I like them....but not enough to go crazy over it" But if you are crazy about this mod like me.....it's all worth it. When you see it lit up on your car for the first time, you're in love with it. And you'll do anything to keep them workin strong.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Well are they still lit in 2010?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Roger . I don't want to be mean but I just laugh. I think not only us but another car forum were arguing about this too. I just saw a Tc yesterday with a angel eye. I don't like that car ( probably hate it because some of them don't know different between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder ) but I have to say that it's look too good. BMW came out with a really good idea.We all are care for our car ( that's why we are in Acurazine ).We want our car is our car (sexy, unique, clean , powerful... etc). A halo light just to make TL look better ( maybe ) . We are not doing BMW headlight swap here. I do love BMW but I have to say that except the halo light, the headlights look like old man not fit for a young adult like me . That's my opinion.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yup we all have opinions.....to each his own. There have been too many wannabe angel eye rings out there, the majority with weak LEDs and pre-installed on cheap aftermarket headlights on econobox cars. The ones we mention here look nothing like that. Real CCFLs the real deal.

Are mine still lit? Yes. I have had my ballasts fail on me 6 months ago but the rings are still glowing strong. Not bad because I've had them for awhile now, I was among the first to install em. I've gotten very used to the look now but I still love em and no regrets.

Finally BMW has improved their design too. The 2010+ models feature white LEDs instead of the old yellowish halogen units.