Sponsored by:

Who said TL wasn't fast enough

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who said TL wasn't fast enough

Folks,
Many of you may disagree, but I think my TL is fast enough. My previous car was a 2002 Honda Accord Special Edition and this is really a step up from a 150hp to a 270hp and a few more torques . I live in NJ and I access Route 295 (highway/similar to NJ Turnpike) daily from and to work. There are a few times that I would be cruising and didn't even realize I was travelling at 100mph. Even at that fast of a speed (90~100mph), the car feels like it's traveling around 55~65mph. Granted, the TL is no Camaro SS, which I almost bought an LS1 prior to the TL, but it's fast enough for this 26 yrs old.
Someday, I do tend to purchase a 2nd car (Camaro SS) , and don't bash on the American V8 especially the LS1. You really have to sit in it to believe it's a MONSTER CAR.

CHEERS and don't forget to
Old 10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Just to add to this thread, I dont floor my car a lot, but last night I had an urge. I am so suprised how mean our engines really are. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it isn't fast enough. I'll smoke most cars on the road no problem. (Nothing to extreme) But man is it fun to floor this car.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

people who say the TL isn't fast drive sports cars. The TL is not a sports car, is a sport sedan. i think its pretty darn quick for a 4 door car that can haul ass and carrt a load of passengers when needed.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caball88
people who say the TL isn't fast drive sports cars. The TL is not a sports car, is a sport sedan. i think its pretty darn quick for a 4 door car that can haul ass and carrt a load of passengers when needed.
Exactly. Coming from a WS6 Trans Am. The TL is quick, but not fast. It is very sufficient for a sedan. More than enough for most. But, that doesn't mean it couldn't use more power
Old 10-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by caball88
Yup. It all depends on perspective. I came from a 2000 Altima. So the TL seems pretty damn fast. There are people who have come from STI's or Firebirds (as dcarlinf1) who have had faster rides.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
10th Gear

It is my belief that on public roads any car can be fast. The real fun is in taking a car to a track or road corse and seeing what can be done. 0-60 times are great benchmarks for the quickness of a car. The reality is that if your jump off a stop light and are quicker at reacting you can take just about any car in our TL's.

I think our TLs are a fantastic example of what transportation should be.....efficient, Fast, fun and safe.....JMO

BTW I am not saying that we couldn't use more power or better traction, but all that comes at a cost too.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Car is fast and quick: quick is acceleration, fast is top speed. Both are excellent. And these engines do not fail. No Honda engine I know of has had the head gasket problems of BMW's 1.8 I4, the cylinder erosion of the early 4.0 V8's, etc. Plus, BMWNA screwed a lot of people by denying anything was wrong for a long time. Lots of bad will there. My BMW "experience" was bad enough - my M3 dumped hot coolant all over the passenger side - apparently, separation of the plastic radiator side tanks was not uncommon.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think my 84 911 is fast enough.

Michael
Old 10-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
my McLaren F1 isn't fast enough :p
Old 10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

almost all the posts were step-up comparisons.

if you get to drive with 450hp under your foot, be prepared to bring along toilet paper.

i wish my 76' TA could actually stick the wheels, but at over 4200 front-heavy pounds, getting the wheels to stick is almost impossible. i punch the gas on this worked up 400cu.in. and all i can do is leave a stretch 150ft long before shifting into 2nd (and before even getting to the NoS). but i can tell you, the HP this thing is pushing out kinda scares me, alot more than my TL, but not quite where i want it to be. i need to look for a light muscle car.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Team Anthracite Member

My Ferrari 348 is definately not fast enough.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Folks,
Many of you may disagree, but I think my TL is fast enough.
You can never go fast enough.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Yup. It all depends on perspective. I came from a 2000 Altima. So the TL seems pretty damn fast. There are people who have come from STI's or Firebirds (as dcarlinf1) who have had faster rides.
100%

I have an 02 Maxima (3.5L 255hp 4AT) and have test driven the TL 5AT. The TL didnt feel slow (per se) to me. Rather, it just seemed to have a power curve that was dramatically different than my Maxima.

Where the Maxima has some serious lowend, the TL really does make up for it's lack of low end on the high end of the powerband. I have no doubt that I could run a similar 14.7ET with a 5AT TL (as I did with my Maxima) probably with a slightly higher trap.

But like you stated Pooch, it really does depend on what you drove last.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm... so when those posters say 'the TL is not as fast as my "what ever" used to be ' They are really saying, 'hey, I'm special, I'm one of the few drivers that have owned a car with a 0-60 time in the low 6's and maybe in the 5's'. Look at me!!!

By the way, the TL is fast enough for me. I have owned many Honda's, the fastest being a 91 Prelude (before this 04/TL). I bought this car because it is the 'TOTAL PACKAGE', looks, brains, brawn, especially LOOKS. It is a great TOY!!! and might I add, the family car.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Exactly. Coming from a WS6 Trans Am. The TL is quick, but not fast. It is very sufficient for a sedan. More than enough for most. But, that doesn't mean it couldn't use more power
heh we could always use more power.

but true, it isn't a sports car. but thank goodness it has some balls.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Instructor

U betcha......

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Hmmm... so when those posters say 'the TL is not as fast as my "what ever" used to be ' They are really saying, 'hey, I'm special, I'm one of the few drivers that have owned a car with a 0-60 time in the low 6's and maybe in the 5's'. Look at me!!!

By the way, the TL is fast enough for me. I have owned many Honda's, the fastest being a 91 Prelude (before this 04/TL). I bought this car because it is the 'TOTAL PACKAGE', looks, brains, brawn, especially LOOKS. It is a great TOY!!! and might I add, the family car.
totally with AcuraVic. Coming from a 240 hp. MiniVan.... and yes, it was
the Honda Odyssey.... (used to raise quite a few eyebrows with the ricerocket set when
they'd be left behind by my van) I love this car. 04/nbp/camel no mods. Growing up I always remember the very first Buick Riviera .. it was Black with a tan interior and it was to lust after. Long before purchasing the TL (the 3rd. generation for clarification of model year) I lusted after it much like I did the Riviera. Lets face it, this car has it. The Looks, the Speed, the abilty to carry 4 and its like having my adolescent dream car sitting right in my own driveway. Aren't too many cars that get me going, but the one that does lives in my driveway. To borrow a phase from my favorite decade.. the car is a TRIP! (its also a blast to drive on long deserted roads, a little buzz on and the tunes UP.) But always very carefully, naturally. just my
Old 10-29-2004, 10:47 AM
2005 WDP TL

I am a former Camaro SS owner......Neither one of the cars were fast enough....and my 2000 SS put 400 to the ground. (It was fast enough to outrun a local Viper though)

....wishing I hadn't sold it.....
Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cvajs
almost all the posts were step-up comparisons.

if you get to drive with 450hp under your foot, be prepared to bring along toilet paper.

i wish my 76' TA could actually stick the wheels, but at over 4200 front-heavy pounds, getting the wheels to stick is almost impossible. i punch the gas on this worked up 400cu.in. and all i can do is leave a stretch 150ft long before shifting into 2nd (and before even getting to the NoS). but i can tell you, the HP this thing is pushing out kinda scares me, alot more than my TL, but not quite where i want it to be. i need to look for a light muscle car.
Too late - I crapped my Cobra!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:23 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I've had my TL-S for 3ys 6mon and my 04 for 3 months, and I have to say that after driving Tl's for so long, these cars are deceptively quick. These cars can smoke about 90% of the cars on the road, which isnt too bad in my book.

Also, you really need to know how to drive these cars to really bring out how fast they truly are. It's an art to master these engines with the right gears on the tranny (auto or manual). Once you do, these cars are even faster.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:51 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I am a former Camaro SS owner......Neither one of the cars were fast enough....and my 2000 SS put 400 to the ground. (It was fast enough to outrun a local Viper though)

....wishing I hadn't sold it.....
if for speed goes... nobody can beat a fast bike
Old 10-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Drifting

People just want a car that can break the sound barrier and everything will be peachy.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Road Rage correctly points out the difference between quick and fast. SO many people get these two terms messed up and confused.

The fastest car I've ever had is probably a toss-up since I have never taken any of these three vehicles to their limit. They are: my 1988 Mustang LX 302CID (estimated from others' tests at 147 MPH); my 2002 Altima SE (a friend who had one very closely modded like mine managed 145 on route 66 between Centreville and Manassas.. I know.. nuts); and my new TL which seems to be capable of speeds in the neighborhood of 150+ MPH.

The quickest car I've ever owned is a no-brainer: my 1966 SS396/360 HP L34 Chevelle. In box stock condition with tires and a sharp tune, it was a 13.2 machine. With a few simple bolt-on mods (headers, larger 4-barrel carb, valve springs and retainers) it was a 12.8 machine.

True gearheads always want more. More power, more handling, more braking, more looks, more whatever. It's just the nature of the beast within us. I would like to see Acura use a larger engine (and please keep it normally aspired).. increased from its current 196 cubic inches to around 220 cubic inches. With that increase and with it tuned relative to its current configuation, it should be putting out easily 300 HP and around 270 lb/ft of torque. For a streetable front drive car like the TL, that would be at the upper limit of what it could handle. It should also result in 0-60 mile times of around 5.4 seconds with quarter miles in the area of 14.1 seconds at 102 MPH. The significant increase in torque would be the key here.

Just my take.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Racer

The TL is nowhere near a fast car. Its a quick car, but not fast. Its not meant to be. Ive come to accept that. A fast car would be any of my friends' cars. One of them has a 56 Bel Air, almost pure fiberglass, with a Ramjet 502 Engine in it. You will not believe this thing. Its in perfect condition, and DAMN is it loud! he set off 3 car alarms in our parking lot just by his exhuast. It runs 9-10 second quarter miles all day long. it puts out 502HP and almost 600 lbs of torque. Its a monster big block engine. Hes trading it out soon for the new Ramjet 572 that puts out over 800HP STOCK! Its gonna be like a 7 second car pretty soon. This thing already eat vipers for lunch and ive seen it. Heres its dyno:

Now, THAT my friends is fast. That would lap a track 5x before the TL even got finished once. I dont even dare to race it. Its a true beast. American Muscle at its best.

Other cars of my friends include a ZL-1 Camaro (not a true ZL-1 but its got the engine, hoodscoop, and SS wheels) the ZL-1 Camaro is THE 2nd fastest car in the world, it goes 0-60 in 2.7 seconds! NOW THAT IS FAST! dont give me this TL's 6 second 0-60 is fast. You must be kidding! Other cars include a 69 Chevelle, 67 Camaro, a 69 Vette, and a couple C4 and C5 vettes. They are OUT of the TL's league as far as quickness and power. i guarantee you most of you guys have not even seen a hint of power if you think the TL is remotely fast. Its a freaking 14-15 second family sedan for god's sake! Its not supposed to be fast! Just my

Bottom line: THE TL IS MEANT TO BE FAST! IF YOU WANT TO GO FAST, GO BUY A POS CAMARO AND BUY A BIG BLOCK ENGINE FOR A COUPLE BUCKS AND YOU WILL HAVE YOURSELF A REAL FAST CAR THAT GETS 2MPG!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Racer

Im probably gonna hear from the mods, but i just have ot say this, i can't help myself:

Where the fuck are you getting those nubmers from you stupid piece of shit? 2.7 seconds...you just made me vomit the KFC i just ate. Dont make me slap you and spit in your face for making such stupid comments. Go fuck yourself and your pathetic lies. The TL is no fucking sports car you piece of animal shit, it is a sedan, and for a sedan of its class it is fast.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Im probably gonna hear from the mods, but i just have ot say this, i can't help myself:

Where the fuck are you getting those nubmers from you stupid piece of shit? 2.7 seconds...you just made me vomit the KFC i just ate. Dont make me slap you and spit in your face for making such stupid comments. Go fuck yourself and your pathetic lies. The TL is no fucking sports car you piece of animal shit, it is a sedan, and for a sedan of its class it is fast.
http://www.supercars.net/index-sixty.html .......Enough said. Everybody give him bad rep points for his language.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock

BTW......a FAST Sedan would be an E55AMG U tard. Dont talk if U dont know what ur talking about.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Racer

Examples of pretty fast-fast Sedans cuz Murdock is a dumb ass and doesnt know jack shit about cars......E55AMG, CTS-V, S55 AMG,Jaguar XJ or S Type, C55AMG, C32AMG, Audi RS6, Audi S4, Infiniti M45, Chrysler 300c, Impreza STi, Evo........Boo yah! ya dumb ass. Jump up your own arse and die! muahahah!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Car Addict

I guess it depends on your definition of fast.

My 98 Formula went 11.0 to 11.7 for a long time and I drove it everywhere.

Lately I have been driving a 15 second Tahoe.

I'm hoping to run 13.9 with the TL with some boltons.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

The TL IS fast. But it's not that quick.

Fast is a reference to top end speed. Quick is a reference to acceleration. Personally, I am a fan of quick much more than fast.

The quickest car I've had the pleasure to rid in was a '69 Camaro with a 454, Comp Cam, tunnel ram inake with two spread bore Holley carbs (I think each was 850 CFM), and 610 HP. It was a 10 second street machine.

Number two was a 1998 Ford Mustang "Cobra" with a Kenny Bell supercharger and a few other goodies. It ran 11.3's.

And so on.

I suspect most people who believe the Maximas and Altimas and TLs and other similar fair are quck (they tend to say fast) may have never had the experience of riding in or owning a really quick car such as those above. They could be coming from something like an Accord or perhaps a Civic. I have both ridden in AND owned honest-to-God Amercan supercars and hot-rodded American iron.

A next door neighbor is building a Factory Five 427 AC Cobra replica. The donor engine is a bored and stroked 302 Ford small block (5.0 liter for you liter-lovers). It's now at 331 cubes and with the mods he has, 400 HP. One of the guys who comes by to help him from time to time also has one and it has been dynoed at 465 wheel HP (500 HP to the clutch). Imagine how this baby runs with a 4.7:1 pound-to-HP ratio?

But I will freely admit that the new crop of performance machines, foreign and domestic, is damned good and damned fun. And the TL is among the best of these in my opinion.

BTW. The quickest road test time I have ever seen for a factory produced street machine was done by Car and Driver magazine in the January 2000 issue. There were two cars tested, a Mustang and a Camaro. The Mustang had a modded 429 Boss semi-hemi engine, bored and stroked to, as best I can recall, 588 cubic inches. It managed a 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. I still have the issue if anyone wants me to get some more numbers from it.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

I wish to reiterate something about my last post.

I really like my TL.. make no mistake about that. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. And I am quite pleased with its street performance. As far as a mid-sized luxury performance sedan in the mid-$30's, I truly believe the TL is the best you can get.

Just wanted to make this clear.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
ther cars of my friends include a ZL-1 Camaro (not a true ZL-1 but its got the engine, hoodscoop, and SS wheels) the ZL-1 Camaro is THE 2nd fastest car in the world, it goes 0-60 in 2.7 seconds!
A 770 hp. Camaro that runs a 10.4 second quarter mile is not the 2nd fastest car in the world, not even close. It is simply the 2nd fastest car listed on the supercars website, which is not the most authoritative, accurate or respected source in the automotive world.

It was a concept car, so you can't compare it to production cars, and once you go to the realm of non-production cars, even if you stay in the realm of the street legal, there are plenty of machines that run better than a 10.4 quarter and a 2.7 second 0-60.

Hell, there are without a doubt at least a few Camaros that have more (or possibly less) than 770 hp. and run better than 10.4 in the quarter and are still street legal. I am sure you could find them on the Camaro boards.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by brahtw8
A 770 hp. Camaro that runs a 10.4 second quarter mile is not the 2nd fastest car in the world, not even close. It is simply the 2nd fastest car listed on the supercars website, which is not the most authoritative, accurate or respected source in the automotive world.

It was a concept car, so you can't compare it to production cars, and once you go to the realm of non-production cars, even if you stay in the realm of the street legal, there are plenty of machines that run better than a 10.4 quarter and a 2.7 second 0-60.

Hell, there are without a doubt at least a few Camaros that have more (or possibly less) than 770 hp. and run better than 10.4 in the quarter and are still street legal. I am sure you could find them on the Camaro boards.
Yes, I agree. but the ZL-1 parts are available to purchase......even its big block engine. The hardest part for my friend to find was the hood scoop which he had custom made via ebay. Hes not totally done. There is an ACTUAL ZL-1 Concept is here at the Hot Rod Center in Oklahoma. He goes by there all the time to check out what else he needs. honestly, I think hes obsessed. Also, I meant the trhe TL is not quick, but fast. It has a pretty high top end being that its electronically governed I think? I was really tired last night when I posted haha. Anywho Just my Were all car enthusiasts so Rock on!
Old 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Blue is so so

i gotta agree with Eggroll here - the TL is really quick in 2nd/3rd gear - but its not fast. I've raced an Audi A4T and the damn thing kept up longer than it should have. I beat it, but it was really tough.

I also raced a new E500, and that also gave me a real good run.

Let's end the debate here, the TL is a fast car in its own right - no doubt about it, just not as fast as others.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Eggroll, that Camaro was a concept car. Never saw the street, maybe never even really ran. I'll bet I could come up with a concept that would beat it, but it would mean about as much.

Mike
Old 10-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
Examples of pretty fast-fast Sedans cuz Murdock is a dumb ass and doesnt know jack shit about cars......E55AMG, CTS-V, S55 AMG,Jaguar XJ or S Type, C55AMG, C32AMG, Audi RS6, Audi S4, Infiniti M45, Chrysler 300c, Impreza STi, Evo........Boo yah! ya dumb ass. Jump up your own arse and die! muahahah!

Yes, the AMG's and the other cars you listed are fast but I really think the point that was being made here initially was that the TL is fast enough for being a sedan in it's class. I test drove the TL and even though I opted for a faster car myself, I still felt the TL was a fast car - but really...you can never have a fast enough car.

Maybe it's kinda what the girls say about their implants!? They think they're big at first but then always wish they got biger! lol!

Nick
Old 10-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

In 1969, Chevrolet made 69 Camaros with the ZL-1 engine. These were sold under the COPO 9061 option as I recall. In the same year, they made two Corvettes with this engine. I have a cut of a road test that Motor Trend did on that car back then. Mind you, the ZL-1 was advertised with 435 HP, however it was actually putting 610 HP to the clutch. This Corvette did a quarter mile in 10.3 seconds at 130 MPH ON STREET TIRES! Gentlemen.. that is quick.

In 1969, Chevrolet also produced a number of Camaros with the iron 427/425 engine. I have seen one on the street in my life and it was Chevrolet orange.

Then there were the famous "numbers" like L74, L88, L89, L71, and L78 to name a few. If you're interested, I can describe those monsters, too.

Some of the Chevy dealers made some pretty mean stuff, too. Like Yenko in Pennsylvania and Baldwin/Motion of Long Island.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,
Thanks for commenting. My sole point of generating this topic was "TL is a fast enough sedan" for me. More HP would certainly be a good thing but I think it's fast enough for a daily driver. I am in process of looking at a 2000 or 2001 LS1 (Camaro SS) so I could use it for TRACK. But daily driver wise. I love it

cheers
Old 10-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by svtmike
Eggroll, that Camaro was a concept car. Never saw the street, maybe never even really ran. I'll bet I could come up with a concept that would beat it, but it would mean about as much.

Mike
Yea Mike, I understand. but they did have the parts out for it. They just didnt make the car as a whole. you could technically build yourself a ZL-1 like my friend did with the parts which mainly was the Big Block Engine and the Giant Cowl Induction Hood Scoop and the ZL-1 Headers. Thats basically what it was. My friend is almot done wth his and i can tell U, i ispretty dang fast right now! btw he tells me he gets 6mpg though....... LOL
Old 10-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Car Addict

I have had a 1998 Camaro SS 6MT and it was a blast.

But my new 6MT TL kicks ass and once it's over 3000 it's fun as heck to drive. It's for sure at least low low 14's stock.

ZL1 stuff from 1969 is super rare and they only made 71 of them total.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Hello everyone...

I am by no means a car expert but I thought I would just chime in with my opinion on the car.

Yes.. a lot of people here are too interested in how FAST their TL is and comparing it to other cars in terms of speed and acceleration. Personally, if all I want is speed and acceleration why spend almost $40k for a car as SLOW (yes.. it is SLOW) as the TL? You could buy the WRX STi and drive around blowing the doors off of TL's and many other cars that cost 10k, 20k, 30k, etc.. more than it.

What I love about the TL is that it is a beautiful car inside and out and has enough power, speed, and acceleration to compliment the awesome luxury features inside while still giving you a solid, quite ride.

If you want speed.. why are you even looking at an Acura?? Some people just have to make a choice one way or another what kind of experience they want. If you want a 10 sec car that sounds like a rock concert.. then maybe you need to look for "sports" cars or old classic hotrods to mod.

I personally will take a quite car running at 100mph effortlessly over a car that can smash my brain through the back of my skull on the way to a <2.0, 0-60. But that's just me.. i have never been in a car that dipped under 4 secs but the 1997 Porsche 911 twin turbo I drove on the autobahn in germany came as close as i would EVER want to get. Granted, if I could afford that 911.. and all i wanted was a fast car.. then I would be all over it.

All-in-all, the TL is a GREAT car. Excellent car for the price but by no means a sports car. I did not buy it to take to the track and I am absolutely sure that Acura did not design it for racing.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Who said TL wasn't fast enough