Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has Royal Purple? Help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who here has Royal Purple? Help plz!

I just have a quick question for anyone who is running royal purple. I know the oil is purple out of the box. But when you actually change the engine oil, and check it with the dipstick, shouldnt it still be purple? The reason why I ask is because I had the dealer change my oil using royal purple. I just got a chance to check my oil today, and its brown? And I mean straight up brown, not even a hint of purple. Did the dealer screw me on this one?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude the case is purple, not the oil. The oil is a regular light brown color.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Pro

Are you serious? When I wipe it with a towel its purple. Do you have royal purple?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Dude the case is purple, not the oil. The oil is a regular light brown color.
Incorrect, the oil is dyed purple.

The oil looses it's die when run through the engine. Check RP's site, they explain it too.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Pro

^^ Ohh okay cool thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not be suprised if the tech kept the royal purple for himself and used the oil they have drums of. It being $8.00 a quart and some techs unfortunatly are like that. I work at a DLR and 80% of the techs are cool but do some shady stuff. Today we got a jaguar super8 from auction 2005, It was 100k brand new 390 hp V8 and took a ride withh the tech and we went in abandon lot and dougnuts for 5 min in 100k car..LOL fun but not cool for the next owner of that car!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Walshstl
I just have a quick question for anyone who is running royal purple. I know the oil is purple out of the box. But when you actually change the engine oil, and check it with the dipstick, shouldnt it still be purple? The reason why I ask is because I had the dealer change my oil using royal purple. I just got a chance to check my oil today, and its brown? And I mean straight up brown, not even a hint of purple. Did the dealer screw me on this one?
The oil is purple, but it is so lite that the amount you get on the dipstick is not enough to look purple and the oil you wipe off is mixed with dirty oil. I would not advise having anyone put oil this expensive in for you unless you really trust them. The tech will steal your oil and in some cases return it to their parts deparment for a nice $40 tip.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Pro

Yeah that stuff is expensive. This dealership has always been good imo. But what gets me is I gave them five quarts and from what I read they are only suppose to use 4.5 quarts? They never gave me back half a quart. The oil change took longer than expected so I had to split right away and didnt ask them about it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad I live in Texas where they sell Royal Purple where I get my car serviced.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed the oil on my TL at 2k miles. I used RP and when I started the engine and let it run for a minute. I rechecked the oil and IT WAS PURPLE. Now I imagine when I change it again, it will be brown. I will let you know
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Racer

I just changed mine this past weekend and the dipstick was purple. I didn't change my oil filter cause I couldn't get it of with my pos filter wrench. I'm a check the dipstick tomorrow and see if any color difference and then change out my filter using my new rachaet filter wrench.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ0920
I just changed mine this past weekend and the dipstick was purple. I didn't change my oil filter cause I couldn't get it of with my pos filter wrench. I'm a check the dipstick tomorrow and see if any color difference and then change out my filter using my new rachaet filter wrench.
How are you gunna change the filter now with the oil in the car?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 AM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
Incorrect, the oil is dyed purple.

The oil looses it's die when run through the engine. Check RP's site, they explain it too.
+1

I was like wow purple oil, then after running my engine for 10 minutes after oil change it was light brown.

@CJ

yeah thats what i used, filter remover that attached to ratchet worked like a charm.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have ran royal purple in a few of my cars, a couple years back when i purchased an integra, the previous owner told me he had recently changed the oil and ran RP, when around 2k miles went by and i spent $52.00! on RP oil, i drained my oil and it was brown and was pissed because i thought he lied!. . come to find out the oil is dyed purple as (powerflow) said, and eventually loses its dye, and is brown in the end. hope that clears it up for you
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Yeah if you check the level after refill/start/shut-off the oil will still be purple or purple-ish. After a a day or so, depending on driving, the oil looses the color.

Originally Posted by pffpffpass
How are you gunna change the filter now with the oil in the car?
The filter does not hold the oil in the car. Some people run oil for longer durations, changing the filter in between. For example running synth for 6K, filter at 3K, ect.

- punch a hole in the filter with a center punch
- let it drain, mostly
- remove, clean surface
- prime new filter (fill it with new oil since its bottom mounted)
- install, run the engine, shut-off, check and adjust the level.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
I would not be suprised if the tech kept the royal purple for himself and used the oil they have drums of. It being $8.00 a quart and some techs unfortunatly are like that. I work at a DLR and 80% of the techs are cool but do some shady stuff. Today we got a jaguar super8 from auction 2005, It was 100k brand new 390 hp V8 and took a ride withh the tech and we went in abandon lot and dougnuts for 5 min in 100k car..LOL fun but not cool for the next owner of that car!
Yeah.. damn if I was to buy RP I'd make sure it goes in! I wouldn't even leave that in sight when the garage door is open.

Well whoever buys a $100k car can afford to fix it.. all of us probably wish we could have been there. That poor guy is going to see the mileage and think ship to shop..
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=The filter does not hold the oil in the car. Some people run oil for longer durations, changing the filter in between. For example running synth for 6K, filter at 3K, ect. /QUOTE]

Words right out of my mouth. The oil pan is where the oil sits, however there will be some in the oil filter, but not a big deal, I got a little more than a half quart of RP left over anyways.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Walshstl
Yeah that stuff is expensive. This dealership has always been good imo. But what gets me is I gave them five quarts and from what I read they are only suppose to use 4.5 quarts? They never gave me back half a quart. The oil change took longer than expected so I had to split right away and didnt ask them about it.

They werent suppose to give you anything back. They've actually filled 5 quarts... Nothing wrong with that.. Some oil went to the filter itself. It does not hurt the car if you add up to one extra quart. I'm running 5.5 now.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
They werent suppose to give you anything back. They've actually filled 5 quarts... Nothing wrong with that.. Some oil went to the filter itself. It does not hurt the car if you add up to one extra quart. I'm running 5.5 now.
What !! Overfill can be bad for quite a few reasons, whipping/foaming in the pan/crank area, higher oil pressure throwing sensor off, causing leaks ect, ect.

It can hurt the engine if you overfill too much. I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by powerflow; 01-16-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
i know we fight over this all the time, but the book calls for 4.5 qts with filter, not 5....overfilling is worse then underfilling....being a 1/2 qt low is better then 1/2 qt over....

if you guys dont like how your oil change is done then do it yourself...its too easy to do to be having someone else do it and then critisise their work...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

just find a good pair of pliers next time ur not reusing the filter ne way
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Royal purple has a dye mixed in therefore it looks purple. As your oil wears the color will eventually change. Make sure that your Bottle of royal purple meets honda's API requirements. Lot's of those oils don't meet honda's standards. There will be letters with numbers on the back of the bottle. On the top of my hand I don't recall what honda's api number would be.

I am an automotive technician and I always put in 5 qts which puts the oil right at the max mark. Remember IN SOME CASES by the time we hit our oil interval we may lose 1/2 qt or more due to it being burned off. This is more common on higher mileage cars with worn piston rings.

Just make sure it meets honda's standards and use an O.E filter or something equal to or better than.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
What !! Overfill can be bad for quite a few reasons, whipping/foaming in the pan/crank area, higher oil pressure throwing sensor off, causing leaks ect, ect.

It can hurt the engine if you overfill too much. I wouldn't risk it.
filling the it 1/2 qt over isn't going to cause him any of those problems.

Do you know if you use the wrong type of oil in a saturn you will cause the car to stummble, stall and misfire intill it's fully warmed up.. You know why? It's suppose to take 5W-30. If you use thicker oil as 10W-30 it slows the rate of the crank and those off the balance causing all those issuses intill the oil reaches it's operating temp and makes the oil easier to move. On our car's this is not the case but CAN happen if you use thicker oil in where the VTEC won't be able to work IF IT's based on using oil pressure to run on the higher lobes on the cam.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Yeah I agree, a little bit over isn't a big deal. He mentioned adding an extra quart past the full level. IMO, that's not in the safe zone, and considered too much.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ oil = hydraulic fluid it wont compress, too much oil will kill your engine
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I used to work for a major named oil change chain many years ago...have serviced literally thousands of vehicles in about any brand name you could come up with at some point or another. DONT OVERFILL YOUR ENGINE OIL! It is not a good thing...trust me. /end argument on overfilling practice

Good story and info below I found on the net for ya...

NEVER OVERFILL. This does all sorts of bad things to the engine. Seals may start to leak, foaming o the oil occurs, pushing oil into the intake etc. By overfilling I don't mean the occasional 'just over the mark' thing. But if you have filled let's say half a litre in excess you must first get it out again. If you don't know how this is done call your local garage. Don't drive up to them. .

If you fill it up you must first clean the area around the filler with a towel. Any dirt around will, according to Murphy's law, get inside the engine. And that's bad. If you cleaned the filler cap put the towel near the side of the cover (arrow). Spilled oil always runs to this side and than drips down the sides. The towel will catch most of it..

Choosing the right oil is more important on modern engines than on older Series. TDi's require an high quality oil, V-8's aren't so sensitive but it never hurts to use an good quality oil. TD5's are very sensitive to wrong oils too.
For the end a little horror story..

I heard of a guy - well let's call him Ernie - who knew his engine needed an special oil. Well, that's not quite right but Ernie being a dumbhead his local dealer told him only to use genuine Land Rover oils. Ernie now went into holidays with his brand new Defender. After 2 weeks and close to return home he decided to make a maintenance. In his case that meant checking the oil. He was baffled when he saw the level being already a bit under the low mark..

Ernie now being as dumb as ever remembered his dealers' warning: "Only use genuine oil". So he left everything in place, closed the hood and drove home. The inevitable happened after 1200 km and just an hour from his home when the engine, after a long time of making strange noises called it a day and quit..

The repair wasn't covered under warranty and it cost close to 8000 US$. On a car 2 months old..

So let this be a warning to you. You SHOULD only use an specified high grade oil. BUT if your oil level is dangerously low you can use any mineral or synthetic oil around. You even can use salad oil from the local supermarket. In any case you should change the mixed oils as soon as possible. This means THE SAME DAY! If you use non-engine oils like the salad oil I mentioned avoid high loads (no flat-out racing) and don't let it cool down. Have it changed while it's still hot. .

Last edited by MichaelBenz; 01-16-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
im gonna put '1000 Islands dressing in my engine'

but seriously.. you can substitute in emergencies... but not a good idea
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Are you crazy?

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
im gonna put '1000 Islands dressing in my engine'
Only lo cal Ranch should be used, preferably from a new bottle
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Don't know if you guys remember, I had a problem with oil leaking so I put more to be cautious. I still say over .5 over will not kill you or hurt the engine in any way.

My actual oil level right in the car is around 5qt (including filter).