Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you keep your loose change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you keep your loose change?

My '01 had a perfect little cubby in front of the shifter for loose change. Plus it had the felt-lined non-ashtray compartment with a door that pulled down. Equally as perfect.

The shifter cubbies in the '04 are deep and narrow. Very impractical for loose change. I find the change keeper in the upper armrest compartment a big pain in the ass to use, plus our Canadian change don't fit, making it completely useless.

I've tried just leaving it loose in the upper armrest compartment, but it's difficult to find later because it's such a big space (relatively speaking). Plus when you lift the upper compartment up, to access the much bigger lower comparment, the change falls to the back of the upper and then sneaks through a gap to fall into the lower comparment to be lost forever. And since our loose change includes $1 and $2 coins, this is a costly concern!

A long preamble to ask the important question that everyone else was afraid to ask: "What is your loose change management strategy?"
Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

did you open your center counsol, there should be a thing there to keep your change. There are two pockets towards the top that attach the peice. If you don't have it talk to your dealer.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro

The change thing also fits in the doors. Perhaps the dealer can get you one that works with Canadian money?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Those little coin holders are impractical. I have change in there, but I'm also keeping change in the rest of that compartment (upper part of the center console).

I agree, the coin box in my 2003 TLS was perfect.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the coin holder and find it practical and handy. However, I can understand the frustration of our northern neighbors in not being able to effectively contain and dispense their coins such as loonies and toonies. Maybe Acura could come to the rescue, although that is not likely. Perhaps some enterprising Canadian engineer/inventor could fill this void.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Do a Yahoo! search for the 2004 Acura TL Ashtray. It's designed to fit in your cupholder (under the sliding door) and is a heavy, weighted, quality accessory. The plastic is so thick you can't hear the coins rattling inside, ever. When you open the lid, you'll see a piece of tin that acts as the cigarette holder. Pull that out and you've got a deep cavity for tons of coins. Need that cupholder back? Just remove the cupholder and put it in the glovebox. The snap-lid keeps the coins in place.

BJ
Old 12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
You touch my tra la la...

My pocket.

BTW the coin holder can be moved to the driver's and the passenger's map pocket, the appropriate mounting slits are there.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Instructor

I keep lots of quarters in the flip-down compartment on the back end of the center console facing the passenger seats. Sure, I have to reach around to get change but at least it doesn't rattle around like it does if you put it in the center dash compartments.

I miss the old flip down compartment found on the left of the steering wheel that was usually found on early 90's Accords....
Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zorom
My '01 had a perfect little cubby in front of the shifter for loose change. Plus it had the felt-lined non-ashtray compartment with a door that pulled down. Equally as perfect.

The shifter cubbies in the '04 are deep and narrow. Very impractical for loose change. I find the change keeper in the upper armrest compartment a big pain in the ass to use, plus our Canadian change don't fit, making it completely useless.

I've tried just leaving it loose in the upper armrest compartment, but it's difficult to find later because it's such a big space (relatively speaking). Plus when you lift the upper compartment up, to access the much bigger lower comparment, the change falls to the back of the upper and then sneaks through a gap to fall into the lower comparment to be lost forever. And since our loose change includes $1 and $2 coins, this is a costly concern!

A long preamble to ask the important question that everyone else was afraid to ask: "What is your loose change management strategy?"
I started a thread about this a few days ago. I made the mistake of calling that not-an-ashtray compartment a coinbox cause that's what I used it for. Of course everyone else was quick to point out that it's not a coinbox. But like you, I think the coin holders in the armrest are a pain to use. I remember on my 03 Accord, the not-an-ashtray bin was perfect for coins. Felt-lined so coins don't slide around and easy to get to. Doesn't require lifting the armrest. But on the TL, that not-an-ashtray compartment is too deep for coins. And I don't like putting that box in the door pocket. So now I just put coins in the cupholder. I never use the cupholder for anything else and it's easier to dig coins out of the cupholder than out of that compartment in the center console.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Racer

I throw it out the window at oncoming cars whose drivers refuse to dim their annoying HID headlights. Usually it's another TL who, it turns out, had his lowbeams on but has them improperly aimed.

JK - in my pocket
Old 12-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I take my loose change home and throw it in a coin-rolling machine. Adds up pretty quickly, actually. With E-ZPass, there is little reason for change.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
In the coin holder. Any excess goes in my pocket.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Look to the front of the Door panel Pockets!

Zorom..
If you look to the front of the door panel pockets you will see
at the front of each a recess that has a grippy rubber lining.

It is not all that large, but you should be able to store a few
of our coin bills and smaller change there. Just don't slam the
doors or it will most likely end up in the footwell.

TL42
Old 12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro

I just toss them in the uppper compartment of the center arm rest. Every now and than, I take them all out and throw them in a jar at home.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

LOL, I know someone who keeps his change underneath his passenger floormat. He says its good because people can see there is no change in his car, and will thus also prevent lil buggers for trying to grab a quick couple bucks.. (ya that does happen once in a while;....couple bucks.....break window?....who knows), and whenever he needs the change, he reaches down and moves the floormat .

Sounded funny when he told me, but I guess it works for him! .
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Even with the Canadian dollar what it is, this thinly-disguised attempt to find out where we Yanks keep our mobile assets is shameful. I'll never tell! If you needed to borrow $20, I would gladly have offered.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
For the sense of humor challenged, the above post is meant to be humorous. That I would need to post that on A- TL.com and not S2KI.com indicates something.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
In my pocket.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
G35 Freak

I usually keep it in my pockets until I floor it , then it ends up in the seat tracks and in the back seat. My wife just vacuums it up and then we roll it all when it is needed. A couple hundred bucks a year that you totally forget about!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To SpecialFX;

Ahh, so it's you who I hunted down and took some shots at the other night for throwing quarters at my TL.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
"HMS Ruby"

Being of the female persuasion, I keep the change in my purse. If you manly men don't want to carry a purse, maybe one of those zippered coin bags could go in the stupid compartments in the center console. That would give one of these compartments a purpose and keep all your coins together.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ResearchFreak
Being of the female persuasion, I keep the change in my purse. If you manly men don't want to carry a purse, maybe one of those zippered coin bags could go in the stupid compartments in the center console. That would give one of these compartments a purpose and keep all your coins together.
Those compartments are a lot more useful than the glove compartment, IMO. The lower one holds my cell phone, its power cord, and a cassette or two (mixed tapes too long to copy onto CDs without deleting half the tracks); the upper one holds my driving gloves. The glove compartment is poorly designed, doesn't fit the owner's manual very well, or DVD-A boxes for that matter.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Shift_faster

I am a "manly man", but if it takes a man-purse to organize my life then SO BE IT!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I am a "manly man", but if it takes a man-purse to organize my life then SO BE IT!
LOL..please take a pic of your coin purse for us
Old 12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by Road Rage
For the sense of humor challenged, the above post is meant to be humorous. That I would need to post that on A- TL.com and not S2KI.com indicates something.
lol!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:41 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I usually keep it in my pockets until I floor it , then it ends up in the seat tracks and in the back seat. My wife just vacuums it up and then we roll it all when it is needed. A couple hundred bucks a year that you totally forget about!
Heh, nice ride man... you should blurr out your license plate tho .
Old 12-10-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
How very Seinfeldian
Old 12-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a styrofoam cup placed in one of the cup holders
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Racer

I use an emty thing of Altoids, then I have another thing of Altoids that really do have Altoids in them. It's a perfect size and easy to get to.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 AM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by chusteveb
I use an emty thing of Altoids, then I have another thing of Altoids that really do have Altoids in them. It's a perfect size and easy to get to.

That is prolly loud with the change boucing around in a metal box? How bad is it?

The Styrofoam cup sounds like a great idea. Easy access, plenty of room, and nice and quiet!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
That is prolly loud with the change boucing around in a metal box? How bad is it?

The Styrofoam cup sounds like a great idea. Easy access, plenty of room, and nice and quiet!
Yeah great idea till you pull up to a drive through and get a meal w/ drinks. No noise with the Altoids box.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by chusteveb
Yeah great idea till you hand some Altoids to the toll booth collector or try to stuff them into the coin slot.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

I'm currently experimenting with a) the little rubberized compartment on the door, b) the rear door on the center console (the rear non-ashtray), and c) the rear cup holder.

The suggestion about the after market ashtray looked good to me, except that it mounts into the front cup holder, which I use extensively for coffee. (Well, for the cup holding the coffee, anyway)

But I think the Altoids suggestion will lead me to the superior solution. If I can find a plastic tub with similar dimensions to the Altoids can, it would probably slide nicely into one of the two compartments ahead of the shifter and make a little less noise.

But where to find such a plastic container....???
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't like loose change making noise,
so I keep it in my pockets. and spend it as fast as I can.

to reduce weight.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

I'm currently experimenting with a) the little rubberized compartment on the door, b) the rear door on the center console (the rear non-ashtray), and c) the rear cup holder.

The suggestion about the after market ashtray looked good to me, except that it mounts into the front cup holder, which I use extensively for coffee. (Well, for the cup holding the coffee, anyway)

But I think the Altoids suggestion will lead me to the superior solution. If I can find a plastic tub with similar dimensions to the Altoids can, it would probably slide nicely into one of the two compartments ahead of the shifter and make a little less noise.

Heh if you are really in a bind just go to a craft store and see if you can find something... if you can't then while you are at the craft store, buy some felt and glue it into an altoid case .
Old 12-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Racer

lol. You guys are funny. Ok the Altoids box ( I assume only one size for Altoids) fits perfectly in the lower (of the 2) center compartment next to the lighter in front of the shifter but I keep mine in the upper (smaller) arm rest. I promise you that unless you have a TL with some strage suspension set up, that the change won't rattle. I wouldn't use it if it did, that's for sure. It rattles when you pick it up, it makes noise when you drop change into it, it also rattles when you shake it around (to make sure you picked up the change box instead of the actual Altoids), but it doesn't rattle around when you are driving and it is just sitting there. It may rattle if you store it in the door, I never tried that before.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 AM
"HMS Ruby"

For the small plastic box, go to Michaels or other craft store. They sell little boxes for beads that you could use. You might even find one with compartments for the different coins! Good Luck! Let us know if you find the perfect solution! In the mean time, I like the idea of spending your change! Or, give it to some little kid and make his or her day!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Gratis dictum

For the small plastic box, go to Michaels or other craft store. They sell little boxes for beads that you could use. You might even find one with compartments for the different coins! Good Luck! Let us know if you find the perfect solution! In the mean time, I like the idea of spending your change! Or, give it to some little kid and make his or her day!
Good idea! And, this time of year, there are plenty of folks ringing bells at store fronts that would appreciate some loose change in their kettles. I hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

How about gladware or ziploc plastic containers...